Chef's Table - No Longer Adult Only!

tinkerme1

(Background)....Recently (Nov 16 - 23, 2014), we cruised on Allure of the Seas and booked the Chef's Table prior to our sailing for our Anniversary dinner on the first night. We have been to the Chef's Table many times in the past, and LOVE this event!

Everything you read about the Chef's Table says that the venue is for adults only (21 and over). The FAQ's on RCI's website as well as an onboard menu with information was also provided in our cabin describing the "rules" of who could/could not attend. Confirmed that it was an adult only venue.

This was our Anniversary Dinner and we were very upset to see that a family and a "baby" were scheduled to go to the Chef's Table the same time we were scheduled to attend. They told me that an "exception" was made to allow the baby.

This was truly a shocker to us and decided to cancel the Chef's Table since we felt a baby was not going to create the proper mix of folks for a gourmet dinner with wine pairings and actually went against RCI policy.

BTW, my husband and I are not against children, since we cruise Disney often. Disney has a venue called REMY's which is extremely elegant and does not allow any children to attend.

BE AWARE THAT RCI HAS CHANGED THEIR POLICY AS OF NOVEMBER 20, 2014 TO ALLOW CHILDREN AT THE CHEF'S TABLE. This is what I was told on the phone this morning.

Although RCI contacted me after the cruise, I thought it would be important to inform those who are thinking about booking the Chef's Table that the Policy to allow children has, in fact, changed. What they are now saying is that children can attend the Chef's Table, they just need to be 21 to drink.

I understand a family friendly cruise line is what RCI is striving for, however, I feel that some venues should be left to Adults Only.

That is good information to know so that people can adjust their expectations and know what they are getting if they book. Did they still have the Chef presenting and give you a cookbook? Assigned seating still? Some reports lately have indicated they are doing away with chef interaction and having the dinner lead by the sommelier. If so, I'm not sure why anyone would want to bring a child.

That said, did they tell you the cost of a non-drinking child? (as opposed to a drinking child).

While I'm not crazy about this decision, I just wonder if it's really going to be an issue. I tend to think the situation in the OP's case may be isolated. I can't imagine parents paying all that extra money to take kids to a dinner where the menu is obviously going to be much too sophisticated for a child's palette. Of course, there are exceptions, but I think they are going to be few and far between.

While I'm not crazy about this decision, I just wonder if it's really going to be an issue. I tend to think the situation in the OP's case may be isolated. I can't imagine parents paying all that extra money to take kids to a dinner where the menu is obviously going to be much too sophisticated for a child's palette. Of course, there are exceptions, but I think they are going to be few and far between.

I wouldn't want to attend with any children under about the age of 12. Chances are the "baby" was non paying. Unfortunately there are parents who think others should be as besotted with their small child as they are.

The terms and conditions for Chef's Table and 150 Central Park have not been updated online.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3234&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq

Reservations may be booked online or onboard. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

The only specialty restaurants with age restrictions are as follows:

•Chef's Table: Restricted to guests 21 years of age and up.

•150 Central Park: Children younger than 13 are welcome to dine before 7 p.m.

Chef's Table did allow guest previously without the wine pairing for $45. This exception was made for dietary or other social circumstances on request.

As this is an interactive social event, I thought the age restrictions were appropriate as they were.

(Background)....Recently (Nov 16 - 23, 2014), we cruised on Allure of the Seas and booked the Chef's Table prior to our sailing for our Anniversary dinner on the first night. We have been to the Chef's Table many times in the past, and LOVE this event!

Everything you read about the Chef's Table says that the venue is for adults only (21 and over). The FAQ's on RCI's website as well as an onboard menu with information was also provided in our cabin describing the "rules" of who could/could not attend. Confirmed that it was an adult only venue.

This was our Anniversary Dinner and we were very upset to see that a family and a "baby" were scheduled to go to the Chef's Table the same time we were scheduled to attend. They told me that an "exception" was made to allow the baby.

This was truly a shocker to us and decided to cancel the Chef's Table since we felt a baby was not going to create the proper mix of folks for a gourmet dinner with wine pairings and actually went against RCI policy.

BTW, my husband and I are not against children, since we cruise Disney often. Disney has a venue called REMY's which is extremely elegant and does not allow any children to attend.

BE AWARE THAT RCI HAS CHANGED THEIR POLICY AS OF NOVEMBER 20, 2014 TO ALLOW CHILDREN AT THE CHEF'S TABLE. This is what I was told on the phone this morning.

Although RCI contacted me after the cruise, I thought it would be important to inform those who are thinking about booking the Chef's Table that the Policy to allow children has, in fact, changed. What they are now saying is that children can attend the Chef's Table, they just need to be 21 to drink.

I understand a family friendly cruise line is what RCI is striving for, however, I feel that some venues should be left to Adults Only.

Couldn't agree with you more. Its really sad when Disney has more adult-only venues than RCI does!

Too bad all parents don't think the same way you do but alas they do not so if the policy has changed you will see more kids.

My wife and I have not yet done Chef's Table but were considering it in January on Oasis but this decided it for us. Guaranteed I would be seated next to a child that doesn't even want to be there (they are usually kicking in the seat behind on my flights :eek:). That is just the luck I have when it comes to children and seating. :p

Couldn't agree with you more. Its really sad when Disney has more adult-only venues than RCI does!

And Disney allows you to bring alcohol on board. RCI won't even sell it to you :-(

Very strange...

I guess money rules!

On our Durango Silverton Train, we usually ride in the Silver Vista car, and the first time it was for 16 and up. The second time, they let a kid obviously under the age limit, and the Silver Vista host said he "didn't know what happened there." The third time, the age was 12 and up.

I hope Royal charged the baby the same as everyone else. Doesn't Royal have baby sitters? On Princess, we had a young couple with us at Chef's table and they said they'd made arrangements for a sitter.

I hope RCI changes their policy on this one. At least schedule a few nights 21 and over.

Edited by knittinggirl

They have allowed children for years now, if you contacted them before hand, have seen several pics of children at the CT on cc. I think its been easier for VIP's with children

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1486817&highlight=chef+s+table

Ahh, nice example of a parent that doesn't get it. It doesn't matter if the kids are little angels, when other guests sign up and pay for something that states is 21 and over as Chef's Table currently does that is what they expect.

As I said we have not yet gone but I understand all are seated together and there is many opportunities for conversations and discussions. I don't want to do that with a child, I have ample opportunity to do that with my grandchildren which I do on a daily basis.

They have allowed children for years now, if you contacted them before hand, have seen several pics of children at the CT on cc. I think its been easier for VIP's with children

Since their website states very clearly to this very day that its 21 or older, I'd be insisting on a refund if I paid for and attended a Chef's Table where children were in attendance.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1339774&highlight=chefs+table

I hope that was just an error in judgment on the part of the Allure staff and not something that will become common practice across the fleet. Most of the ship is child-friendly...why not keep the few adult-only venues and activities the way they were intended?

I think if an activity or meal is advertised as adults only, then it should be that way. I was a teacher and a principal for 30 years, so I'm certainly not a child-hater, but I think there are places where children shouldn't be, and the Chef's Table is one of them. When I pay almost $100 for a meal, I'm doing so with the assumption that what I receive will be as advertised.

We did a Chef's Table on Carnival where a six year-old was present. She was very well behaved, but being seated across from a child does change the conversation. In addition, the poor thing was literally falling asleep in her food by the end of the meal.

Actually, not true! See FAQ's on RCI Website about age limit for Chef's Table. As I stated in my post, we have been to the Chef's Table numerous times. Never a question that children under 21 were not allowed. We actually received a pamphlet with the menu for that night's dinner and it was printed clearly on Allure stationary that children were NOT allowed. This morning, they told me the policy changed on November 20, 2014.

My wife and I have not yet done Chef's Table but were considering it in January on Oasis but this decided it for us. :p

The latest dining chart has confirmed that they do not plan to re-open a Chef's Table on Oasis. Wonderland is taking over the space and there were rumors they would move it elsewhere, but that appears not to be the case.

Freedom Class, Voyager Class, Majesty, Enchantment, Jewel and now Oasis do not have the Chef's Table.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/statichtmlpage.do?pagename=brochure_dining_guide_options

Actually, not true! See FAQ's on RCI Website about age limit for Chef's Table. As I stated in my post, we have been to the Chef's Table numerous times. Never a question that children under 21 were not allowed. We actually received a pamphlet with the menu for that night's dinner and it was printed clearly on Allure stationary that children were NOT allowed. This morning, they told me the policy changed on November 20, 2014.

But Celia, your experience was on November 16. So Royal Caribbean was WRONG regardless!!!!!!!

:eek:

But Celia, your experience was on November 16. So Royal Caribbean was WRONG regardless!!!!!!!

:eek:

Carol, you are absolutely correct which is why they called me this morning with their sincerest apology. My motive for bringing this to CC is to warn those that may book the CT with the wrong assumption that children will not be allowed. Obviously, this is no longer the case. :(

BTW, great to see you once again! The rest of our cruise was lovely!:D

Edited by tinkerme1

The latest dining chart has confirmed that they do not plan to re-open a Chef's Table on Oasis. Wonderland is taking over the space and there were rumors they would move it elsewhere, but that appears not to be the case.

Freedom Class, Voyager Class, Majesty, Enchantment, Jewel and now Oasis do not have the Chef's Table.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/statichtmlpage.do?pagename=brochure_dining_guide_options

A friend did Chef Table the first week Oasis was back in FLL (Halloween Cruise). But, I do not see it on my cruise planner for my Oasis cruise. Also, can't find anything about Vintages on the revised dining guide or the website either. I wonder what this venue will become?

On a side note (website complaint about this dining document):

Have you tried to view the .pdf format of the guide? It downloads the old 2013 version, instead of the 2014 update. The current version in the Flash Player is hard to read across Pages 4-5, to see all the ships and know what restaurant applies to them, even in full screen. Once again, RCI publishes a document, that requires a workaround to be able to view and obtain all the information. When will programmers learn that not everyone has a big screen to view this type of document on-line. EOC (end of complaint).

A friend did Chef Table the first week Oasis was back in FLL (Halloween Cruise). But, I do not see it on my cruise planner for my Oasis cruise. Also, can't find anything about Vintages on the revised dining guide or the website either. I wonder what this venue will become?

On a side note (website complaint about this dining document):

Have you tried to view the .pdf format of the guide? It downloads the old 2013 version, instead of the 2014 update. The current version in the Flash Player is hard to read across Pages 4-5, to see all the ships and know what restaurant applies to them, even in full screen. Once again, RCI publishes a document, that requires a workaround to be able to view and obtain all the information. When will programmers learn that not everyone has a big screen to view this type of document on-line. EOC (end of complaint).

I was on the Oasis last week. We had pre-booked Chef's Table, but it was cancelled right after the ship came out of dry dock. It doesn't appear there are any plans to bring it back.

There is a new Tapas menu in Vintages. Here are a couple pictures of it...one with prices:

IMG_0792W-L.jpg

IMG_0795W-L.jpg

Did they still have the Chef presenting and give you a cookbook? Assigned seating still? Some reports lately have indicated they are doing away with chef interaction and having the dinner lead by the sommelier. If so, I'm not sure why anyone would want to bring a child.

I'm very interested in the answer to this as well. We're thinking of booking the CT on our Brilliance cruise but the answer to this question will definitely help us decide either way. We had a great time when we did it on Allure and the Chef and the Sommelier together really made the meal. It just wouldn't be the same without the chef presenting his/her dishes.

[quote name=Cindy

There is a new Tapas menu in Vintages. Here are a couple pictures of it...one with prices:

]

I am glad they got this sorted out. On the Transatlantic they only had 5 or 6 items printed on the wine menu.

They were able to serve many more and it was a little humorous as they were not allowed to show the old menu per instructions, but if you remembered what was on the old menu they had many of the items.

While others will think it is great, they had Tapas by Jamie Oliver on Quantum with only 5 or 6 items and not this revised Oasis menu.

They are starting to let each ship have more control of the venues and opening hours even.