Need help choosing between Regal and Caribbean Princess

losbun

Hi, we're a family of five (kids 8-13) going on our first cruise this April and need some help making a final decision between the Regal and the Caribbean Princess please and thank you.

For about the same cost our cabin choices would be an obstructed view balcony on Regal or an obstructed view OV on CP so +1 Regal. But CP has four port stops, Regal just 3, so +1 CP. I know everyone has different preferences but I'm just curious as to your experienced cruiser thoughts.

Laura

Hello Laura and welcome to Cruise Critic...

The Regal is a beautiful, state-of-the-art ship. I've sailed on both the Regal and Royal and would choose the Regal over the Caribbean Princess every time.

IMHO the only thing the Caribbean Princess (CB) has going for it over the Regal is the size of its balconies...especially the extra-large Caribe deck balconies.

Either way, enjoy your first cruise...

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

Hello Laura and welcome to Cruise Critic...

The Regal is a beautiful, state-of-the-art ship. I've sailed on both the Regal and Royal and would choose the Regal over the Caribbean Princess every time.

IMHO the only thing the Caribbean Princess (CB) has going for it over the Regal is the size of its balconies...especially the extra-large Caribe deck balconies.

Either way, enjoy your first cruise...

Lew

I would choose the Caribbean Princess over the Regal or Royal because of cost. You'll probably pay a premium to sail on the Royal or Regal at this time.

Hi, we're a family of five (kids 8-13) going on our first cruise this April and need some help making a final decision between the Regal and the Caribbean Princess please and thank you.

For about the same cost our cabin choices would be an obstructed view balcony on Regal or an obstructed view OV on CP so +1 Regal. But CP has four port stops, Regal just 3, so +1 CP. I know everyone has different preferences but I'm just curious as to your experienced cruiser thoughts.

Laura

Caribbean Princess is CB and it's a no brainer. Regal over CB by a long shot.

Hi there - you might get better advice if you rank your priorities and interest. I've been on the Ruby (sister to Caribbean Princess) and the Regal....but it's been several years since we cruised with our now grown kids. Since this is a family cruise I'm guessing high on the list is food and perhaps pools? And of course itineraries. The Horizon Court on the Regal is HUGE with lots of choices - bigger than the CP. However, the CP has more pools, and the layout of the ship IMHO - is easier to navigate. If it were me, I'd probably go with the CP because of more port days and the things I mentioned. The Regal is a beauty but that factor may not have much merit with kiddos. Good luck deciding - hope you have a great cruise whichever you pick! We'll be boarding the CP January 8th for a short getaway - can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's more important to you--the itinerary or the environment of the ship? To me, it's the itinerary. Others may find the quality of the ship to be more important. If the added port is so wonderful that it's a real wow-er,then the Caribbean Princess would be the choice; but if the added port is not all that, then the Regal.

Edited by Mackenzie1

I don't know what week in April that you are going but it appears to me that the Regal/Royal is less money than the Caribbean Princess. I have been on the CB 4 times and I loved the ship. I'm not a fan of the new ships for several reasons. The main reasons being the 3 port Caribbean itineraries and no ocean view staterooms. However, in this case I would book the Regal for the obstructed balcony which seems to be the same price as the ocean view on the CB. If you book guarantee there is a chance that you will get bumped up to an unobstructed balcony. Yes. there are only 3 port of call on the Regal but missing the extra port which is Nassau on CB isn't a big deal.

Edit to say: I didn't realize that the Caribbean Princess was doing a Western and Eastern itinerary. Either way I would still choose the Regal because I'm not a fan of the Western Caribbean. Southern Caribbean is my favorite I wish Princess would bring them back.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Laura

***You are a family of 5 - be aware you need two cabins. Princess cabins only sleep 4. What you might consider is an OV with an inside right across the hall.

If you really want only one cabin - other cruise lines have cabins for 5 but not Princess at that price point - all Princess offers is a "family suite" which is a minisuite adjoining an inside at the very front of the ships - very costly though relative to OV.

There are a lot more pools on the CB - two main pools ( one with movies, one without) plus a plunge pool/ hot tub up at the back high up. Adults also have the forward spa pool and the aft terrace pool.

Regal has one main pool area with movies, a very small aft pool that is reported to be for everyone, plus the forward adults only pool area.

Both have kids clubs and sports areas

http://www.beyondships.com/index.html is great for overviews and photos. Regal is just like Royal, but Regal has the little aft pool that Royal doesn't have yet.

Consider for the kids a soda card or ultimate kids card which has sodas plus milkshakes plus hot chocolates ( its been reported that milkshakes are in a different location on Regal than on all other ships but that they are available - I don't know yet from personal experience )

Good luck with your choice !

***You are a family of 5 - be aware you need two cabins. Princess cabins only sleep 4. What you might consider is an OV with an inside right across the hall.

If you really want only one cabin - other cruise lines have cabins for 5 but not Princess at that price point - all Princess offers is a "family suite" which is a minisuite adjoining an inside at the very front of the ships - very costly though relative to OV.

There are a lot more pools on the CB - two main pools ( one with movies, one without) plus a plunge pool/ hot tub up at the back high up. Adults also have the forward spa pool and the aft terrace pool.

Regal has one main pool area with movies, a very small aft pool that is reported to be for everyone, plus the forward adults only pool area.

Both have kids clubs and sports areas

http://www.beyondships.com/index.html is great for overviews and photos. Regal is just like Royal, but Regal has the little aft pool that Royal doesn't have yet.

Consider for the kids a soda card or ultimate kids card which has sodas plus milkshakes plus hot chocolates ( its been reported that milkshakes are in a different location on Regal than on all other ships but that they are available - I don't know yet from personal experience )

Good luck with your choice !

Yes, it's been trying to get two rooms together especially since we're 2 and 3. Even though it sounds like the Regal might be a nicer ship I think I may be leaning towards the Caribbean princess because my kids will spend hours in the pool plus I think the added port day will be worth it. But I've never been on a cruise so I don't know if most kids enjoy doing all the activities on the ship more and it appears Regal wins in that area.

I wasn't thinking of a soda card because we try not to drink too much soda but I didn't realize you could also get things like milkshakes (actually I didn't even know they had milkshakes) Does each kid have to get their own card or could it be shared?

As far as priorities for our family our kids like to be in the water first and foremost. I think they'll really enjoy MUTS. My husband and I used to dive so we'd like to take them snorkeling although the eight year old is not that great of a swimmer. And I, unfortunately, love good food and my daughter loves sushi. Also my middle son loves everything mechanical I would love for him to have a ship tour but do you have to pay for it now and is it expensive?

Sorry for all the questions but you guys are so full of info!

I would lean toward the Caribbean Princess. Pools are far more suited to families. Yes, you can get an obstructed balcony on Regal. But it will be a porch more than a balcony and can not hold 3 people let alone 5. If a balcony is important to you, consider a balcony on the CB, especially on Caribe deck. Then, supplement that with a nearby Inside cabin. Your entire family can enjoy being on that one single balcony.

The kids areas on Regal are state of the art so there is an advantage there. All in all, I think that the Grand Class ships are more family friendly and the Royal Class ships are designed more for couples.

Definitely Regal--we just completed a cruise on her and it was wonderful. Great food, service and entertainment. if your fourth port is Nassau, that would not be a plus in my opinion. I'd rather have the extra sea day. The kids clubs on the new ships are state of the art. Regal has the extra plunge pool aft but we only saw adults in that area although it's not restricted. Kids used the main pool areas. Enjoy your cruise whichever you choose.

I love the CB and sailed her many times. This year I sailed on the Regal's slightly older sister, the Royal, for 10 days, and 2 days after I disembarked the Royal I boarded the Caribbean Princess, so I have a very good idea of the differences.

Saying I prefer the Royal is fine, but truth is, I prefer it because it meets my requirements. I can't say someone else might love it or hate it. I sail solo so don't have 3 children to entertain; I really don't go to the pool, so the fact that there's only 1 main pool doesn't affect me; I don't use the spa or the gym, so that's not a problem either; and I don't mind that there is no real prominade deck, as I love the small areas created where it used to be. My cabin (inside, side-facing) was amazing and much nicer than my inside on the CB. The library and internet area are separate and smaller on the Royal. The piazza is huge and beautiful, but everything is held there so it's always busy.

I loved Princess at Sea, the intranet that allows one to speak with others onboard, carry around the Patter, and check your account from your smart phone is ingenious. It also shows you where certain venues are so you have no problem finding a dining room or show. The TVs in the cabins and the on demand movies and shows are great.

The ship herself is amazing, beautiful and high tech. Being accustomed to the CB, it took me about 3 or 4 days to feel comfortable on the Royal, but once I did, I was in love.

Whichever you select, have a wonderful time. The same great staff will be there to make you comfortable and escape completely.

Maureen

Laura

Hi Laura,

Since you are traveling with three kids who love the pool, I would choose the Caribbean Princess. There is more pool and deck area for all. Although the CB doesn't have a designated teen pool like the Emerald and Ruby, there is a pool and hot tub up on the Sun deck that a lot of the teens enjoy. Kids make friends so fast on a cruise and always seem to be having a blast.

The Regal is brand new and beautiful, but sailing in warm weather with kids who love the water, I think the ship with the most pools might be the kids' choice.

Not sure if you know that on Princess there must be an adult registered in each stateroom. Good luck in finding adjoining rooms or rooms across the hall from each other.

Which ever ship you choose, you and your family should have a fantastic vacation. The Caribbean Sea has some of the most beautiful turquoise water for swimming, sailing and snorkeling. Enjoy :).

GO with the Regal....CB is dated...I would look into the availability of connecting balcony rooms on the Regal....I believe there's 18 on the ship.

Our experience on the CB this summer was great. The decor is being updated all over the ship and was in the best shape I've seen it in a while. Service was fabulous too.

I would lean toward the Caribbean Princess. Pools are far more suited to families. Yes, you can get an obstructed balcony on Regal. But it will be a porch more than a balcony and can not hold 3 people let alone 5. If a balcony is important to you, consider a balcony on the CB, especially on Caribe deck. Then, supplement that with a nearby Inside cabin. Your entire family can enjoy being on that one single balcony.

The kids areas on Regal are state of the art so there is an advantage there. All in all, I think that the Grand Class ships are more family friendly and the Royal Class ships are designed more for couples.

I tend to agree that the Royal and Regal are more adult oriented ships.

Yes, it's been trying to get two rooms together especially since we're 2 and 3. Even though it sounds like the Regal might be a nicer ship I think I may be leaning towards the Caribbean princess because my kids will spend hours in the pool plus I think the added port day will be worth it. But I've never been on a cruise so I don't know if most kids enjoy doing all the activities on the ship more and it appears Regal wins in that area.

I wasn't thinking of a soda card because we try not to drink too much soda but I didn't realize you could also get things like milkshakes (actually I didn't even know they had milkshakes) Does each kid have to get their own card or could it be shared?

As far as priorities for our family our kids like to be in the water first and foremost. I think they'll really enjoy MUTS. My husband and I used to dive so we'd like to take them snorkeling although the eight year old is not that great of a swimmer. And I, unfortunately, love good food and my daughter loves sushi. Also my middle son loves everything mechanical I would love for him to have a ship tour but do you have to pay for it now and is it expensive?

Sorry for all the questions but you guys are so full of info!

No problem - happy to help! Our kids are now 14 & 12 and they Love cruising - they've each been on 10 cruises -- something for everyone to do, things for us together as a family, plus kids club activities if they want kid time. Everyone can eat whenever, whatever ... No dishes to wash!! ( thats my favorite part!)

Pools on ships are deep. No shallow ends. But they have wet areas around them where the water sloshes. Look at photos to see what I mean.

The soda card is very convenient - kids can grab a soda at any location. Otherwise, "included" are ice tea and lemonade and water, coffee, tea at the buffet drink stations and in restaurants. Without the soda package, pop is a charge. On the Princess website they describe the drink packages -

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/casual_dining/

Prices are in the "gifts and services order form " pdf

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/index.jsp?_ga=1.28721204.980025944.1417097747

They are per person as it is a sticker put on your cruise card.

Also read the " Cruise Answer Book" available under Brochures - here:

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page?_ga=1.231640983.980025944.1417097747

You can goto the pursers desk once you get on board the ship and

- restrict or prevent purchases on the kids cards - so they only get $xx per day, or nothing. The video game arcade and beverages are $$$. :D

- get room keys to both rooms so you all have 2 cards and can go back and forth.

CB likely has more inside cabins than Regal does - work with a good local travel agent, study the deck plans, pick your cabins, have the reservations "linked" and marked "no upgrades".

The tour is now a $150 per person tour - I know there is a minimum age but I don't know what it is. You must book at the purser's desk as soon as you get on board - limited spots available. There are other threads on here that talk about it.

After you book, look at the shore excursions online and if there are ones you want to do, buy them online - once they sell out - they are sold out. You have a cancellation window on the ship before each port where you can cancel for refund if you change your mind.

Ask us whatever you want to know - there is a ton of info on these boards but its sometimes hard to sift thru! Read the Princess website - lots of info there too.

Edited by cruisintoddler

Thank you everyone for all the responses and opinions.

First of all, this is a good problem to have and from everything I've seen and read whichever I choose we'll have a fantastic time. How could we not it's Spring in the Caribbean on the water with free food!

Anyway after I watched some youtube videos I really want to book Regal as she just looks lovely and the amenities and food appear wonderful. Surprisingly my DH voted for the extra sea day, he's always wanting to snorkel so I would have thought for sure he would pick another shore day but I think life's so busy now the poor man just wants to veg ;). But as much as I think I would enjoy Regal I'm choosing itinerary over "state of the art" and going with CB for all the reasons everyone has pointed out. In the end while the luxuriousness of Regal would be lovely all the things offered on Regal would not be deal breakers for me while not having ample pool space would.

I also think Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan are more in line with our young, active family then St. Thomas and St. Maarten.