12/8/14 Amsterdam - oh dear

Linda&Vern

Boarded the Amsterdam to find someone else living in our booked cabin. Oh – front desk says we moved you from Port to Starboard. Person in your room has been there for 70 days and is staying on. Well good for them. But I did pay for THIS cruise and that cabin. Finally said ok – went to new cabin. Everything I ordered is missing. Rental oxygen machine rejected by occupant of MY cabin. Oh goodie. DH out looking for it. No refrig for meds. No distilled water. No luggage. No help. 4 trips to front office. Lots of smiles – again no one seems to care.

All talk is of the Grand Trip. No talk of this new 14 day trip. Not even a Mariner’s Luncheon. The staff acts like they never heard of one. Seems this is the end of a voyage – not a new exciting one for us!

HAL – what have you done to us?

Edited by Linda&Vern

That sucks horribly bad. :(

I will say I've been told to beware of the segments on the tale end of Grand Voyages for the reasons you stated. I really, really, really hope all your supplemental orders arrive very quickly.

I am so sorry to hear how things have gone so poorly for you on Amsterdam. You definitely need someone's attention and assistance. Fingers crossed for you things are starting to get worked out.

Hope it all smooths out and you can have a wonderful cruise. It isn't right for you and your DH to be treated this way.

Edited by sail7seas

The door is locked to my originally booked cabin - so no one can go in to see if my stuff is there. Say what!!!

They keep saying we are in computer under new room ... but mail I found has my original room #. What a mess.

I offered full price for a Neptune Suite and they turned me down. Lots of lessons learned today. Poor DH has walked miles and miles with our carry-ons back and forth. Not one offer of help with this mess.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Well, based on this experience and the other thread about letting a dog run the ship I am seriously considering cancelling another HAL cruise. It seems they don't know what customer service is. I am so sorry you are having to put up with this horrible situation.

So sorry you have such an untenable situation.

After the Pacific Rim Grand, I expect a lot of officers and crew changed over. No excuse for what you are experiencing, but we have noticed that a big turn-over usually means it will take a while for the crew to settle down into their roles.

Hope all is in order soon.

Thanks for posting!

I would be looking for the HD not the Front Office. If you are still in San Diego Seattle is still open- a call to Mr. Kruse's office may expedite or at least get the attention of the HD.

You show a number of HAL cruises in your signature- I'm guessing you are a multi star Mariner

HAL HQ number is (206)281-3535

Edited by frankc98376

You probably have the information but it says for emergency contact to use:

Business Hours: 206–281–3535

After Hours & Holidays: 1–888–361–8803

or: 206–301–5293

Just curious......

What or who is the 'it' says?

The HAL website? Who is that number supposed to connect to? Customer Relations?

Thanks.

Edited by sail7seas

I can't believe they allowed the O2 to be rejected, and probably off the ship. Even if everything else is screwed up, which it seems it is, the oxygen should have had special handling by the front desk. I was thinking about HAL for the first time, but now am having 2nd thoughts.

What kind of cruise line is it when you are on the ship, have a problem, but find out that everyone seems to recommend contacting Seattle in order to get a shipboard issue resolved?

What kind of customer service is this?

Have they offered you a $50. OBC on your next cruise or a bottle of cheap wine....notwithstanding that you do not yet seem to have a cabin in which to enjoy it?

Boarded the Amsterdam to find someone else living in our booked cabin. Oh – front desk says we moved you from Port to Starboard. Person in your room has been there for 70 days and is staying on. Well good for them. But I did pay for THIS cruise and that cabin. Finally said ok – went to new cabin. Everything I ordered is missing. Rental oxygen machine rejected by occupant of MY cabin. Oh goodie. DH out looking for it. No refrig for meds. No distilled water. No luggage. No help. 4 trips to front office. Lots of smiles – again no one seems to care.

All talk is of the Grand Trip. No talk of this new 14 day trip. Not even a Mariner’s Luncheon. The staff acts like they never heard of one. Seems this is the end of a voyage – not a new exciting one for us!

HAL – what have you done to us?

I admire how you express yourself with tact & class. If it were me in your shoes I'm afraid instead of Oh Dear! I would be saying Oh... something else!

Hope things improve for you soon!

Did they at least give you an upgrade from what you had paid? I would be really ticked off if they didn't give me the cabin I had chosen much less the other issues you've had to deal with. Hoping your cruise improves dramatically and quickly.

This just wasn't right! We choose our cabin carefully including which side of the ship it's on - being moved to the other side would be huge for me.

Worse, is that once the decision was made to allow the occupying passengers to remain in the room, the HD & staff and/or Guest Services should have gone into overdrive to see that everything was officially shifted to the new room assignment. When problems became apparent (due to cabin manipulation by HAL and not something the displaced passengers caused) a staff member should have been assigned solely to them until everything was as it should be. The lack of concern over the missing oxygen was especially disturbing to me.

This situation gives me 2nd thoughts about HAL's slippage. If any line would have acted totally helpfully I'd have put Cunard and HAL at the top of my list.... HAL's fallen wayyyyyy down the "good service" list for me.:(

We are still missing some luggage, but found O2 machine, refrig, distilled water and shore tkts. Thankful for the terrific Room Stewards. Mail is addressed to original room - not new room.

HOWEVER - after getting mostly settled - some guy calls and says "you can move now if you want." I think not. No one talks to each other here.

To be clear - we are in the same type of room we booked, but other side of ship. I offered full price for Neptune Suite, just to get Neptune Lounge staff to help - but Front Desk laughed. We have now been on ship over 5 hrs. and are exhausted. The frustration is that no one will own up to the problems - we are left looking like WE made a mistake. :(

DH will wear shorts in the Dining Room for dinner tonight if the rest of luggage is lost. Oh please, don't give him a hard time!

Edited by Linda&Vern

Any supplier can have problems.

What really differentiates one from another is how they acknowledge the issue(s) and how they respond to them.

I feel very sorry for you. Not what you want on the very first day of your cruise.

Your treatment so far, as described, speaks volumes about the quality and the professionalism of the on board management team. It also speaks to the on ship management culture at HAL.

Edited by iancal