fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

I usually have my netbook in a case, travel document folder folder, money pouch, purse & a zip lock bag containing:

house key, car key, DH wallet, meds, costume jewelry pouch & a USB stick with all my documents on it ....

just incase I need to grab & run it is all in one place

It is good to have an emergency plan in place

The safe is definitely small, but I have never had a problem getting my iPad Air, iPhone 5S, passports, jewelry, wallet, etc. in the safe at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I could not get my iPad Air in the safe. Not that I thought anyone would take it, but it would not fit. I have learned a lot about the items we need to have with us from this forum. Not to be repetitive, it I so sad.

I could not get my iPad Air in the safe. Not that I thought anyone would take it, but it would not fit. I have learned a lot about the items we need to have with us from this forum. Not to be repetitive, it I so sad.

We just got off the Regatta Dec 5th two days before the Insignia boarded.

It is so sad that there was a loss of life in the Insignia tragedy. We know many of the Oceania crew from over the last 10 years and it always feels like a second home when we board as they make us feel as we are part of the family. My deepest sympathies go out to all the families.

As for the safe unless when Insignia was redone earlier this year with smaller safes it used to have the same size safes as Regatta and Nautica. I can fit my small laptop in the safe. It is about 10"x8" and about an inch thick. You have to put it in at an angle but it will fit.

Have been following all of your posts while on the Regatta...our passengers and crew here are sad for the loss of life and praying for the families of those who perished..I must say I am so impressed by the wonderful positive posts of those on board you are truly a class group of people that are on the O board

Jancruz1

We just got off the Regatta Dec 5th two days before the Insignia boarded.

It is so sad that there was a loss of life in the Insignia tragedy. We know many of the Oceania crew from over the last 10 years and it always feels like a second home when we board as they make us feel as we are part of the family. My deepest sympathies go out to all the families.

As for the safe unless when Insignia was redone earlier this year with smaller safes it used to have the same size safes as Regatta and Nautica. I can fit my small laptop in the safe. It is about 10"x8" and about an inch thick. You have to put it in at an angle but it will fit.

That is a good thought that maybe they were changed when the ship was redone. Not that is really matters, considering what has just happened..oh those poor people..very sad. However a laptop would not have fit in, and as I said my iPad Air would not either. I had my phone, our cash, my husbands wallet, and a smaller travel pouch with the jewelry I took on the trip. I have the iphone 6 plus, and had to slide it in very carefully to fit. I keeps my meds in a small zip lock bag in the bathroom, so you are right, they may have changed them when they updated the ship. We were in 6003 and the safe was in a cabinet. I don't think most of us have ever though about this type of situation before.

As I awoke this morning my mind churned through the events of the past 3 days. Lessons I need to write down….to be reviewed before travelling again.

I have not had time to read all of this thread so maybe other Insignia passengers have already commented on my next point. Volunteers…..I would be remiss of me not to mention that there were passenger volunteers in addition to Dr.S (but maybe not as visible) who tirelessly provided help to the CD and other members of the crew…..carrying and fetching etc. I know they have the thanks of other passengers and doubtlessly the ‘O’ management.

After many tries the crew were unable to retrieve my meds from our stateroom. I don’t know why but I do know that they tried. Lesson for me….I can fit a daily amount of my pills in a small plastic box 1.5”x 1.5”x .5’…which is very light and fits easily into my trouser pocket with my small wallet. I will NEVER travel again without this daily pill box ON my person. Subsequent daily refills can be kept in the safe, drawer, bag or wherever convenient. One days pills gets you a long way…..lol

My dear wife is now at church no doubt giving thanks for our safe return.

There may also be another issue involved.....I did hear her on the phone to her make-up supplier explaining that she need some urgent supplies (in advance of our luggage arriving). Her supplier just happens to go to the same church....Hey! important issues need to be dealt with.........:D

We will now put meds in the safe. We usually keep them in our bedside table. Also will keep keys in safe as we keep them in our carry on bag. My iPad fits in safe on a slant.

Yup. Never thought about where we leave things when we are out of our cabin. I guess we will have to re think this subject. We don't expect this sort of thing to happen, but it sure can.

Yup. Never thought about where we leave things when we are out of our cabin. I guess we will have to re think this subject. We don't expect this sort of thing to happen, but it sure can.

Every hotel and ship has someone who can open any safe on their premises.

Safes are often left locked by people with or without something in them.

If the ship could not open the safes chances are there would be many unusable

when the next occupant came into the room.

Edited by orchestrapal

May have missed prior post, but, how does Oceania crew get into the your Cabin safe without combination ?

I have had the misfortune of twice having to call security re: safe. Once was a malfunction not my fault another time the strings from my passport holder got stuck in the door. Both times it was just before we were meeting folks for dinner (retrieving jewelry) and they were there within 10 minutes of calling reception. I have since learned proper placement of my belongings and will now make room for meds etc.

I think for the rest of us reading about this tragedy it is important to learn valuable lessons re what shoul be in a safe .?...meds and documents

Furthermore I learned from a fellow cruiser the importance of carrying a small flashlight everywheer with us .When the power goes off it is pitch black indoors on lower levels a flashlight could be a Godsent .I now have one in every bag I carry around ship

I think a bag labelled meds should be visible somewhere in the cabin if it cannot fit in the safe

My sister takes loads of stuff but the safe cannot hold it all so we are now going to label a bag ...heaven forbid in times of trouble easy to find

My girlfriend told me dhe heard about a Montreal couple who were on the ship as Carnival Pax kept staring at them not knowing why ...i guess the smoke must have alerted them .They were able to go to their cabins to retrieve meds but no luggage ...i hope they had time to dress in warmer clothing .They said Oceania took good care of them and they are now safe and sound at home

What an ordeal ...so sad ...lessons learned are too often linked to tragedy

But only praise for the crews dealing well with this crisis

May have missed prior post, but, how does Oceania crew get into the your Cabin safe without combination ?

I am guessing at this but maybe when the power is off the safes are no longer locked

Or security will have a master code so would need to go to each cabin

Maybe someone has a definitive answer it would be good to know

Another thing I take is a copy of our RX from the pharmacy

Things you never think of happening to you but I like to be prepared a bit

On a recent HAL cruise at Muster drill there were a crowd of people that were laughing & chatting while the announcement was taking place some of us tried to shush them but it would last only a few seconds

I would hate to be near them in a real emergency situation

No matter how many cruises you have been on it is always good to keep quiet & pay attention

I am guessing at this but maybe when the power is off the safes are no longer locked

Or security will have a master code so would need to go to each cabin

Maybe someone has a definitive answer it would be good to know

Room safes are powered by batteries located on the inside of the door.

This thread has served a number of purposes for my wife and I as seasoned cruisers as we are.

First, a place to express our sadness. Then going forward, a reinforcement that the primary meds I take must be kept in the safe .... as I do. Also, continue our routine of each leaving a small flashlight on the stands beside the bed. Also, pay even more attention to all aspects of the muster drill.

I appreciate all who have posted here.

Another thing I take is a copy of our RX from the pharmacy

Things you never think of happening to you but I like to be prepared a bit

On a recent HAL cruise at Muster drill there were a crowd of people that were laughing & chatting while the announcement was taking place some of us tried to shush them but it would last only a few seconds

I would hate to be near them in a real emergency situation

No matter how many cruises you have been on it is always good to keep quiet & pay attention

Glad you mentioned mess. My wife and I each carry a copy of both our meds in our wallets. When your at a hospital, you can easily forget or confuse them.

This thread has served a number of purposes for my wife and I as seasoned cruisers as we are.

First, a place to express our sadness. Then going forward, a reinforcement that the primary meds I take must be kept in the safe .... as I do. Also, continue our routine of each leaving a small flashlight on the stands beside the bed. Also, pay even more attention to all aspects of the muster drill.

I appreciate all who have posted here.[/quote

At home we always have flashlights in our bed stands. Recently I started carrying a keychain flashlight and always carry one while traveling. You never know. Also your cells work as flashes just download the app and pray for a power source from somewhere else lol. I too hate the chatter at drill. So often we take it for granted that "this will never happen to us". Sh*t happens!

Buggins, so happy your husband is okay. Globevest, happy you're safely home and I can completely understand your wife's priorities:):).

I've always considered myself a bit compulsive to say the least and have tried to cover all bases in case of emergency wherever I am. However, I have also learned a great deal from this thread and the experiences so many of you have gone through.

I've always put money, car keys, charge cards, etc., in the safe, but I love the idea of photographing all docs, passport, etc., with the iPhone upon leaving home because I take that everywhere with me on the ship so I can take photos. I stopped bringing my laptop a long time ago, but do take my iPad ... maybe it's time for a mini that will fit in the safe;). Or just leave it at home.

Still so impressed with all those who went through this. It's quite a reminder that it can be any of us and there's a reason we go through muster drill every single time we're on a ship.

Buggins, so happy your husband is okay. Globevest, happy you're safely home and I can completely understand your wife's priorities:):).

I've always considered myself a bit compulsive to say the least and have tried to cover all bases in case of emergency wherever I am. However, I have also learned a great deal from this thread and the experiences so many of you have gone through.

I've always put money, car keys, charge cards, etc., in the safe, but I love the idea of photographing all docs, passport, etc., with the iPhone upon leaving home because I take that everywhere with me on the ship so I can take photos. I stopped bringing my laptop a long time ago, but do take my iPad ... maybe it's time for a mini that will fit in the safe;). Or just leave it at home.

Still so impressed with all those who went through this. It's quite a reminder that it can be any of us and there's a reason we go through muster drill every single time we're on a ship.

Despite the fact that we all hate muster drill..it warrants attention, even though we "think" we know the particular ship and will know what to do, every instance is so very different. Pay attention