Ocean view cabins

Sun lover 123

I've cruised a few times but always in a balcony stateroom. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an opinion on ocean view cabins...and this one that I'm considering is on deck 2....the itinerary is good, the date is good and this cabin is 1/2 price compared to the balcony one. I'm thinking of booking it for these reasons...but I'm also a bit nervous.

It on the RCI Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore. Opinions would help...thanks!

While we normally sail with a balcony (verandah) a few times we sailed without one. This included a transatlantic crossing where we saw no need for it and on some ships that didn't have them. We were fine.

In the end you have to make the decision. Some people like the balconies not only to sit outside but to also get fresh air.

As to the specific ones on the RCI ship, if it was me I would be asking about that on the RCI Board.

Keith

I'm perfectly fine in an ocean view cabin--even an obstructed view one. It's been a while since we sailed in an inside, but I wouldn't mind doing that again. Just get me on the ship.

My usual cost point is around $100 per person. If it's less than $100 per person to upgrade us from an outside to a balcony, I'll do it. If it's more, then I won't. But then I also look at total cost. If it's less than $100 per day per person, I don't mind booking a balcony cabin even when the difference is more than $100 per person over the cost of an ocean view.

Ha, ha Sadie...I'm from Ontario too...the one without the palm trees and with the snow:D

The ocean view that I'm looking at is on deck 2 with just other room above it...and I don't know what's below it.

I've only sailed on balconies that were much higher up (I think deck 6 was the lowest)...so that was the other part of my question...how is it in an OV so low in the ship?

I'm perfectly fine in an ocean view cabin--even an obstructed view one. It's been a while since we sailed in an inside, but I wouldn't mind doing that again. Just get me on the ship.

My usual cost point is around $100 per person. If it's less than $100 per person to upgrade us from an outside to a balcony, I'll do it. If it's more, then I won't. But then I also look at total cost. If it's less than $100 per day per person, I don't mind booking a balcony cabin even when the difference is more than $100 per person over the cost of an ocean view.

Wow a $100 per person sounds like a great price...does that include taxes and gratutities?

Over the years we have sailed in every type of cabin except the penthouse suite.

Now we go for the sale cabins. We just signed up for a 2 for 1 sale next February in a Ocean View Obstructed for a 7 day cruise. This will be our third time in a OV cabin.

The savings will then allow us to go out again next summer.

Our thinking is that we just sleep in the cabin and then are out and about the ship the rest of the day.

As others have posted check the deck map to see what is above the cabin. If in a good place go for it.

Bob

I've cruised a few times but always in a balcony stateroom. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an opinion on ocean view cabins...and this one that I'm considering is on deck 2....the itinerary is good, the date is good and this cabin is 1/2 price compared to the balcony one. I'm thinking of booking it for these reasons...but I'm also a bit nervous.

It on the RCI Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore. Opinions would help...thanks!

Deck 2 is the lowest one they are selling, right? On this deck you may hear the noise of the working parts of the ship, so make sure your cabin is in the middle.

Do you keep your balcony opened? If not, you will be fine. If yes, it will be an adjustment, but there is always the AC.

As for being down below - do you really care? The elevators will take you up in a minute.

It is a personal choice ..I prefer an OV one with a window not a port hole

I can go up on deck for fresh air

we often do OV to save some $$ for other things

Did an inside ONCE :D

If the deal is good & you want to do the cruise go for it

If you do not like the OV you will know for next time ;)

Half price? I'd be all over that, seriously. I like balconies, but for me (unlike many people) they are not essential to my cruise enjoyment. Could you consider it a "test drive", at that low price? You might find you are fine in an OV (think of the money you might save in the future ;) ) If you don't like the OV you haven't spent a ton of $$$ to try it, right?

8 of 9 cruises in an OV, there must be something we like about them. For the time we spend in a balcony, its not worth it to us. Rather have the extra spending money. Our favorite area is fwd about 5 cabins from the fwd-mid ship elevators. Very quiet above and below.

It will depend. We don't use our balcony that much so it never mattered. If you sat on yours every day & had breakfast out there etc., you will miss it. We didn't care & liked the price of the OV gty which usually meant obstructed view much better.

Try it. It's one trip. If you feel deprived because you don't have a balcony, look in your wallet or at your bank statement at all of the pretty money that is still there rather than in the cruiseline's account.

We cruised on Deck 2 on Rhapsody of the Seas which I think is the same class as the Grandeur. We loved Deck 2, it was nice and quiet. It was also a good location imo.

Only one deck down to the spot where you boarded the tenders. We would book Deck 2 again in a heartbeat. Can't comment on the OV though as we were in an inside.

My first two cruises were in an ocean view cabin. For my 3rd cruise I hit on a great deal for a Junior Suite (with a verandah) and after that cruise, I never looked back. If I can't afford to cruise with a verandah, I will save until I can.

If the ships waited for me to book an inside or ocean view, they would go bankrupt. Everyone is different and have differing opinions. Thank goodness there are different cabins to fit everyone's wants/needs.

I don't participate in many activities on the ship (maybe bingo once, and only one specialty dining experience in 7 cruises) now sitting on my verandah with a nice glass of wine I do every single day, I read out there a lot, or just watch the ocean roll by and spot sea life or other ships. I can't even count the hours I've sat out on the verandah.

OP, only you know how much you use the verandah and how much you will miss it. If you really really want to go on this cruise and can only afford the ocean view, that's totally up to you. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

For 1/2 the price......I could live with an OV. If it's not many$$$$$ more, we usually take a balcony but honestly, we rarely sit out there. I find them too small and confining, and with a wall on each side, there's usually no breeze and during the day too uncomfortable (in the Caribbean, anyway) What we REALLY like about balcony cabins is the fact that that side of the cabin is basically a "wall" of glass and not just a window.