? For Those Using E-Cig in Cabin- Smoke Detector

qsuzi

From the Princess website:

Electronic Cigarettes

The use of electronic cigarettes is allowed within the confines of the guest's stateroom (balcony not included) and within designated smoking areas only.

Therefore, as e-cigs are allowed in staterooms, it is doubtful they would set off the smoke detector.

Do e-cigs set off the cabin smoke detector?

I figured a posting would come with a copy of the e-cig rules. That was fast. :rolleyes:

Sometimes steam from the shower/bathroom can set off the smoke/heat sensor. I doubt an e-cig would.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137274

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No..they are not smoke, only vapor and vapor does not set off the alarms. We have used them in cabin when Princess changed the smoking policy (banning smoking, but allowing ecigs in the cabins).

Thank you for responding. I should have created this thread - aimed at those who have used them - instead of the other thread. Sorry.

Vapor/steam can set off smoke alarms. I set off an alarm in a hotel once by taking a really steamy shower. With e-cigs, you're likely to be safe because you would not be exhaling directly into the smoke alarm.

Thanks!

What's the rationale for e-cigs not being allowed on balconies?

I think it's to eliminate complaints and sending security out to a cabin when a neighbor objects. It's not smoke, but some people still get all worked up about people inhaling anything in their presence.

I think it's to eliminate complaints and sending security out to a cabin when a neighbor objects. It's not smoke, but some people still get all worked up about people inhaling anything in their presence.

Yeah, that must be it - some idiot would go into psychosomatic-ally induced anaphylaxis and die.

I am a vaper of three years and yes they can and do set the smoke alarm off in the cabin.

On our cruise around South America I had the bridge call our cabin three times as the alarm was showing up on the bridge. There is no alarm sound heard by yourself it is a silent alarm.

They asked if we were ok and we said yes just using an e cig and they said ok and reset the alarm.

I have also used the same setup on other cruises but that was the only one that set off the alarm. The alarm was directly above where I was using the e cig I made a note after the third call to make sure I was as far away from it as possible and we had no further alarms.

Edited by Te Aroha
adding information

On our cruise around South America I had the bridge call our cabin three times as the alarm was showing up on the bridge. There is no alarm sound heard by yourself it is a silent alarm.

They asked if we were ok and we said yes just using an e cig and they said ok and reset the alarm.

I had that happen from the shower in a mini-suite.

I think it was because I had the bathroom door closed,

opened it, and had a big cloud of steam all at once.

After that, I just left the door open, and no further problems.

I have also found that with the door open, the curtain is much

more respectful.

I had that happen from the shower in a mini-suite.

You were smoking an eCig in the shower? :rolleyes:

Lew

i remember a sign in a room in Sydney warning guests that steam would indeed set off their smoke detectors and there would still be a huge fine (I think it was in the hundreds of dollars) if it did go off. something about the fire brigade responding automatically.

i remember a sign in a room in Sydney warning guests that steam would indeed set off their smoke detectors and there would still be a huge fine (I think it was in the hundreds of dollars) if it did go off. something about the fire brigade responding automatically.

That's a ridiculous fine, but under that threat you'd want to keep the bathroom door closed.

It is really about the odor from the e-cig.

Not trolling, just offering an opinion. Recently in Hawaii, we could smell the smoke from the next balcony. It was a non-smoking hotel. Security smelled the odor from the hall way and knocked to check it out. They had esigs, which also was not allowed. So, the smell can be offensive.

Why do you think that everyone that disagrees with you is a troll.

Not trolling, just offering an opinion. Recently in Hawaii, we could smell the smoke from the next balcony. It was a non-smoking hotel. Security smelled the odor from the hall way and knocked to check it out. They had esigs, which also was not allowed. So, the smell can be offensive.

Why do you think that everyone that disagrees with you is a troll.

I agree that e-cigs do have an odor. They can any number of odors. Many of them are flavored (which can cause an odor).

I know that may e-cig users feel "it's just water vapor, there's no smell", but I have son who uses e-cigs. I can tell when he's using them. I may be super sensitive, but I can smell "just water vapor" also. I can smell when the humidifier is running in our house.

Yes, it may or may not be as offensive as "real" cigarette smoke, but it can be an issue.

Is there an odor? I don't know since I don't think I've ever seen one in action. The odor, whatever it is, couldn't be as strong as the smell of cigarette smoke.

It's not as strong, but it's definitely noticeable. There was a woman smoking hers in the dressing room in Nordstrom this afternoon and I thought it was a real cigarette I was smelling. When Security knocked on the door, she said it was an electronic cigarette and showed it to them. Seems to me, if you can smell tobacco, it clearly isn't as innocuous health-wise -- to them or to us -- as people claim . . .