Beware of online specials posted by RCCL

hwcruisers

We just returned from cruise on the Navigator of the seas. Two weeks prior to cruise, RCCL website posted a WOW promotion for the speciality restaurants. They offered 15% off one, 20% off two and 30% off three. These had to be prebooked and prepaid. We called RCCL, reserved three restaurants and paid. The representative assured us that we would receive this discount, applied as a shipboard credit. Unfortunately the Navigator refused to honor this promotion. When we went to the guest services desk, the manager (Anna) was rude and just ignored us. She stated she didn't have time to discuss this and if we wanted this discount to show her proof. Apparently customer service is not in her job description. Another couple was at the desk with the same problem and they were treated the same way. There is a lack of communication between the ships and the RCCL website.

Just a warning. Print out everything from the website, request written confirmation through email and be sure to bring written copies.

Apparently RCCL has a history of changing promotions while you are at sea. We will never pre-pay again. Once you get on the ship, restaurants offer 20% discounts.

We just returned from cruise on the Navigator of the seas. Two weeks prior to cruise, RCCL website posted a WOW promotion for the speciality restaurants. They offered 15% off one, 20% off two and 30% off three. These had to be prebooked and prepaid. We called RCCL, reserved three restaurants and paid. The representative assured us that we would receive this discount, applied as a shipboard credit. Unfortunately the Navigator refused to honor this promotion. When we went to the guest services desk, the manager (Anna) was rude and just ignored us. She stated she didn't have time to discuss this and if we wanted this discount to show her proof. Apparently customer service is not in her job description. Another couple was at the desk with the same problem and they were treated the same way. There is a lack of communication between the ships and the RCCL website.

Just a warning. Print out everything from the website, request written confirmation through email and be sure to bring written copies.

Apparently RCCL has a history of changing promotions while you are at sea. We will never pre-pay again. Once you get on the ship, restaurants offer 20% discounts.

Contact the number in this link for post cruise comments and questions.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUs.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=5&snav=1

And, did you have your copy of your confirm email? They always send a confirm email for everything bought or booked

It would also be on your credit card statement which you could have printed out after booking. Why don't you send rci a copy so they can refund you, they will make it right

You could have accessed your cc account/e mail from the ship and printed off the info

Edited by setsail

We had the credit card confirmation for paid restaurants, but failed to print out the promotion. Big mistake on our part. Should not have taken the representatives word that it would show up on our account. Lesson learned!

Edited by hwcruisers
delete post

Hmmmmmm. I booked our 2 restaurants online as well. I have the email confirmation but of course it says nothing about the promo (which was the entire reason I booked it early). What kinds of discounts are offered if booked once onboard? Any risk of them selling out (sabor, specifically)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And, did you have your copy of your confirm email? They always send a confirm email for everything bought or booked

Recently (last month) for us, that was not the case. NO cfm or receipts received for specialty restaurant bookings, not one. CSA had to send the email to her own RCL biz email account then fwd to me from there:confused:

I know it is no consolation now, but whenever I travel for business or leisure, I make sure to have copies of any and all reservations and confirmations. this has saved me untold time and energy when problems have occurred.

Hi Joe and Sally . . .

It's a shame that when you sail with RCL that you have to bring with you copies of "everything". But it is easy when you sail with them enough. You just get into the habit of documenting all. Shouldn't have to be this way.

Enough of that. Hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Year's!!!

Take care,

Rick and Deirdra

Both Sabor and Izumi offered 20% discounts, but they were for one night only. If you have a flexible schedule you can take advantage of this discount. Neither restaurant was crowded when we attended. Don't miss Sabor or Giovanni's. Both excellent. Izumi was OK. The rolls were excellent, especially the lobster roll. I would not recommend the hot rock selections. Took too long to cook and not much flavor.

Edited by hwcruisers

Thank you for this information. We have 6 nights of specialty dining booked and we did so based off the email that we would get 30% back as onboard credit. I don't see that offer listed online anymore. I'm going to check my email cruise folder and pray like heck I happened to save the email with the info.

It's a shame that when you sail with RCL that you have to bring with you copies of "everything".

This is true of all cruise lines, not just RCL. I recently sailed MSC with the premium alcohol package. I made sure to bring my email showing I purchased it, so, I wouldn't be charged 15% more to purchase on board.

It would also be on your credit card statement which you could have printed out after booking. Why don't you send rci a copy so they can refund you, they will make it right

You could have accessed your cc account/e mail from the ship and printed off the info

Not that I expect my vacations to be worry - free , but doesn't that seem to be a lot of work to do to "justify" what you paid for? I suppose my expectations as a customer are perhaps too high...

We had the credit card confirmation for paid restaurants, but failed to print out the promotion. Big mistake on our part. Should not have taken the representatives word that it would show up on our account. Lesson learned!

I had a similar situation (discounts not applied onboard) and spent what I thought was too much vacation time at guest services, before refusing to dedicate more time to the matter onboard.

I addressed it in my survey, but hadn't called because the amount is pretty small, but now I'm angry again thinking that's what they want me feel... [emoji35] I'll be calling rci to get my account corrected.

I had something like that happen to us. I personally like to prebuy as much as I can just so I know it is done and the "Easter Bunny" decided to get all three of my kids a pet at sea. When we got to our room we had the card in there showing that we ordered 3 pets at sea. When we went to make them I took the voucher that had been delivered to my room but they acted like I was making it up. Luckily I had my documents in my room so I sent my oldest to get it.

While that was happening the lady calls for her supervisor and she really didn't act any better about it. We also didn't get the boxes to put the animals in that the other kids got if they didn't prepay.

I know now that I would have gotten a discount with my crown and anchor so my lose there but it seems they would have been a little nicer instead of acting like we were lying about purchasing almost $100 of stuffed animals.

With that and the fact that they changed the balance due on my last cruise 3 times I now print everything out and take it with me.

I have learn to ask for emails and invoices for all advice from RCI phone support. And if what they mention dies not cover the issue i hound them till they send it to me. Also download from their site to prove to customer services on board what there policy is. Such as purchasing of drink packages during a cruise.

Sent from JD's iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I expect my vacations to be worry - free , but doesn't that seem to be a lot of work to do to "justify" what you paid for? I suppose my expectations as a customer are perhaps too high...

20 cruises with Royal Caribbean, 27 cruises overall. I have, luckily, never had a problem with any promotions, discounts, OBC's, etc. But I always have a copy of everything. I simply save it to my computer and take my computer with me. I don't print out anything, but if needed, it's right there. So my vacations are "worry free." But in this day and age of computerization, things sometimes "fall apart." So, I have proof of everything. It's easy, and just makes sense.

I have always been, luckily, treated very well on Royal Caribbean, and all other lines (except one nasty guy on NCL). But I also know that if it can't be resolved on the ship for some reason, then it likely can be resolved after getting home. So I don't get too worked up, or at least, I haven't yet.

I'm guessing an email to corporate will result in an appropriate resolution.

Thanks for the reminder; I usually keep hard copies of everything but did not remember to print out to the promo pdf (same one linked on the first page).

Each of my cruises has it's own 9x12 envelope that I stuff all confirmations/paperwork in. As much as I prefer electronic records, I don't want to spend time on vacation trying to find/bring them up. Plus once you are floating around the ocean it becomes expensive to try and bring up said records.

This is one example of where old school simply works best, so long as you don't lose the envelope of course.