Get the airfare before the cruise?

emtnmare2

Have you bought the aifare before booking a cruise? Was thinking of rolling the dice. Book airfare to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and wait to see how low the cruise price would go. I figured if you book during the slow cruise season one might get a good deal.

Give it a dry run. Pick a week in January or February and pretend you booked a flight, probably a Friday night to Sunday night to get the biggest chance of hitting something good. Then take a look at the specials and see if anything that interests you falls in those dates. You may end up paying more for hotel rooms in the port city than you save on the cruise. The prices for January or February should be pretty good examples of low end costs.

We've thought of doing that but sometimes the cruise selection is pretty bad by the time the prices are significantly low.

It's not a bad idea, but honestly I would be open to more than one cruise line just in case. That way you're not stuck with airfare but nowhere to go. Or, you could always have a back up plan of staying in florida if nothing else. :)

I book anything that can be cancelled BEFORE airfare....usually, airfare is a "done deal"...

I wait until I find a fare I can live with...if I don't, I can cancel everything else.

Same here. The cruise booking comes first, then the flight booking. We have much more flexibility when booking an appropriate flight than for the cruise itself, which leaves once a week or longer from only one departure port. There are so many flight options to getting to the port - different airlines, different departure times, different routings, often different airports that can be used at either end, and even different travel dates. With all those options, the flight part of the trip is much easier done after the more rigid cruise schedule is determined.

Another problem with "rolling the dice" is that mot all cruises leave on the same day, and not all are the same length. That would make it difficult to pick a flight schedule to cover the cruise options.

Edited by fortinweb

Another problem with "rolling the dice" is that mot all cruises leave on the same day, and not all are the same length. That would make it difficult to pick a flight schedule to cover the cruise options.

I'll disagree with this in terms of what the OP is specifically proposing - booking airfare to FLL or MIA. The large number of ships sailing out of both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami (and let's throw Port Canaveral into the mix) means that if you book air for, say, Friday to the next week's Sunday, or better yet Monday, you would have a large number of sailings to choose from. Searching an online TA for departures on a totally random weekend in February - 20-22 to be precise - I found that those 3 ports had a combined 34 sailings leaving those dates available to book:

-five 3-night cruises

-one 4-night cruise

-five 5-night cruises

-two 6-night cruises

-sixteen 7-night cruises

-two 8-night cruises

-one 9-night cruise

-two 14-night cruises.

Of those, only the two 14-night cruises would fall outside of a Friday-Monday flight booking - that leaves 32 cruises to choose from, half of which are your classic 7-day itinerary. Even if you're choosy about what lines/ships you'll sail on, that's still a tremendous choice.

OP, to answer your question: no, I've never actually booked my air before the cruise, however I have always had a good idea of what was available/what I would book before committing to the cruise. I personally think, if you're very flexible, it's actually a pretty sound idea.

... if you book air for, say, Friday to the next week's Sunday, or better yet Monday, you would have a large number of sailings to choose from

Yes, you are quite right. But, think how many choices a person would have if they flew out on the 1st of a month and flew back on the 30th? :D

It all depends on how long a person is willing to stay over in the hopes of finding a cruise. The more days, the more choices. But think of the extra expenses required to stay several days before and/or several days after just to be able to guarantee a cruise a person may want to actually take. The more days, the more expense for hotel nights and three meals per day, plus transportation.

It could get quite expensive trying to leave enough of a buffer to make sure there will be at least one cruise worth taking.

Plus, I am looking at this as a person who is quite particular about the cruises I take. I don't just take any cruise because it is convenient. I choose mine carefully to give me the best cruise for my tastes and budget. Not caring what cruise line or destination is not how I prefer to cruise.

Edited by fortinweb

I'll disagree with this in terms of what the OP is specifically proposing - booking airfare to FLL or MIA. The large number of ships sailing out of both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami (and let's throw Port Canaveral into the mix) means that if you book air for, say, Friday to the next week's Sunday, or better yet Monday, you would have a large number of sailings to choose from. Searching an online TA for departures on a totally random weekend in February - 20-22 to be precise - I found that those 3 ports had a combined 34 sailings leaving those dates available to book:

-five 3-night cruises

-one 4-night cruise

-five 5-night cruises

-two 6-night cruises

-sixteen 7-night cruises

-two 8-night cruises

-one 9-night cruise

-two 14-night cruises.

Of those, only the two 14-night cruises would fall outside of a Friday-Monday flight booking - that leaves 32 cruises to choose from, half of which are your classic 7-day itinerary. Even if you're choosy about what lines/ships you'll sail on, that's still a tremendous choice.

OP, to answer your question: no, I've never actually booked my air before the cruise, however I have always had a good idea of what was available/what I would book before committing to the cruise. I personally think, if you're very flexible, it's actually a pretty sound idea.

Your logic is a bit off. You list 3 night cruises and 14 night cruises. How is the OP going to book flights to allow choosing between 3 night cruises up to 14 night cruises? Is he to purchase airfare to allow for 14 nights and just sit around for 11 days if he ends up choosing a 3-night cruise? Being realistic, a person would plan flights to accommodate a cruise with a set number of nights, not all lengths of cruises within that same time period. That will narrow the choices considerably.

Edited by sloopsailor

But think of the extra expenses required to stay several days before and/or several days after just to be able to guarantee a cruise a person may want to actually take. The more days, the more expense for hotel nights and three meals per day, plus transportation.

Well, obviously in my example the person has enough hotel points to pay for the pre/post-cruise stays... :D

And I'm only part joking when I say this. It's pretty easy to find a credit card sign-up bonus giving you enough points to cover 2-3 hotel nights, which are usually cancel-able up to the day of arrival.

For that matter, using miles for the airfare usually affords one a lot more flexibility as well. For instance, with Aeroplan, paying a change fee of you can outright cancel a booking - and have the full points redeposited - within 22 days of your flight. That's a pretty tight timeframe. And even if you miss that deadline, you can change your flight up to 2 hours before departure. Both have a $90 fee attached, but that's still a heck of a lot of flexibility.

Plus, I am looking at this as a person who is quite particular about the cruises I take. I don't just take any cruise because it is convenient. I choose mine carefully to give me the best cruise for my tastes and budget. Not caring what cruise line or destination is not how I prefer to cruise.

That is really the key, isn't it? To execute such a plan, you have to have maximum flexibility and really be willing to take whatever is available. It's certainly not for everyone.

Your logic is a bit off. You list 3 night cruises and 14 night cruises. How is the OP going to book flights to allow choosing between 3 night cruises up to 14 night cruises? Is he to purchase airfare to allow for 14 nights and just sit around for 11 days if he ends up choosing a 3-night cruise? Being realistic, a person would plan flights to accommodate a cruise with a set number of nights, not all lengths of cruises within that same time period. That will narrow the choices considerably.

If you read my post again, I eliminated the two 14-night cruises from the exercise. Every other one of the 32 cruises would be possible to make with a flight in on Friday and flight out on the next Monday - not necessarily advisable, as some would require flying in the day of departure, but possible.

Because either airfare or cruise cost can go either way, there really is not a sure fire approach. You are planning the total package: getting to the port and getting on the ship -- booking just half (many times aid and hotel comes to more than cruise) leaves you with uncertainty and risk. When the price of the whole deal seems right, book the whole deal.

The last 5 cruises I've taken I've booked the airfare first since I wait until after final payment to book the cruise. I book the airfare because there's more of a certainty that the price of the airfare will increase while I'm waiting for the after final payment price drops. When I book the airfare I already know what cruise I want to take and what price range I'm willing to pay for it. Whenever I see the cruise price drop into my range, usually around the 30 day mark, I pull the trigger. If you are open to multiple cruise lines, itineraries and you don't mind where you end up on the ship then it's really not that big of a gamble.

As long as you are prepared to do a "land vacation" or deal with cancellation/rebooking penalties it is probably a good idea.

DW and I have considered it but have always managed to find that sweat spot of good airfare and good cruise pricing without having to book the airfare first.

This summer we have our eye on 3 med cruises and may do just that. Airfare from Canada is around $1,000 now but will jump up to $1,300 or $1,500 if we wait.

Yes, we would do it and we have done it.

You just need to be flexible as regards to cruise/cruise line and have a backup plan for a land vacation. We also do one way flights. Did this last fall, and will be leaving in two weeks with only one way tickets. Last time we got great one way cruise air home, hopefully this time will be the same.

The last 5 cruises I've taken I've booked the airfare first since I wait until after final payment to book the cruise. I book the airfare because there's more of a certainty that the price of the airfare will increase while I'm waiting for the after final payment price drops. When I book the airfare I already know what cruise I want to take and what price range I'm willing to pay for it. Whenever I see the cruise price drop into my range, usually around the 30 day mark, I pull the trigger. If you are open to multiple cruise lines, itineraries and you don't mind where you end up on the ship then it's really not that big of a gamble.

Have you tried this approach over the Christmas Break or in July or August? During the really high season is the only time that I could see an issue with this approach.

We rarely fly, but I wouldn't hesitate to book airfare first in your case. Looks like you will have several cruises to choose from, it would be rare for all those to sell out. And, if they did, you don't need hotel reservations beforehand. If they all sell out at that point, rent a car and plan a land vacation in whatever direction you decide....the Keys, Orlando, Miami, the beach anywhere along the coast (you have both large and small towns to choose from). There seems to always be some hotel available....especially if you stay open to go anywhere. Or, you could possibly even book a last minute island package deal with airfare from Miami or FLL. Lots of possibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From time to time we also do what curlygirl18 does. On highly competitive runs like 7 day Caribbean there are usually lots of good offers. This year particularly. It really is not much of a risk IF you are watching several ships/itineraries and you are flexible with regard to cabin and cabin locations.

Having said that, two years ago we snagged a 7 day Carib. offer one week prior to departure. There were only three verandah cabins available. We booked gty and expected to get one of these. Not the greatest locations but we were fine with it based on the pricing. Surprise, surprise, we ended up with a primo veranda cabin in a perfect location. Some must have been upgraded. A very nice surprise for us.

Edited by iancal

I'm surprised by the number of people willing to take anything, to be on a vacation. When I travel, it takes me quite a while to find just the right itinerary and mode of travel. If I find a land tour I want to do, I pick the dates, then start looking for airfare to the location.

I would never book airfare first, then take the chance cruise or land would fit in with the airfare. Just too many variables. But then, I don't necessarily look for the cheapest airfare, cruisefare or hotel charges. If it's something I want to do, I'm willing to pay the going rate.

Just an example, I started looking for my Canada/New England cruise 18 months before we were planning to go. I used the current year, but by the time I could book, RCI no longer offered the cruise to Quebec I wanted. I was so disappointed, so had to switch plans to Celebrity which was 2 days longer cruise than the RCI cruise had been. That could have been a nightmare if I had booked airfare for the first cruise.

I don't travel enough to worry about miles, awards, etc. on credit cards. For those that do and get free flights, hotels, good for you.

My one vacation per year is not going to be by the seat of my pants. I usually have everything planned down almost to the minute.

No, but usually check the airfares within the parameters of the cruise we want to take. If it all "works" ... book the cruise. Usually check the air, book the cruise,, then book the air all within an hour. Friends want to do a Caribbean cruise in March out of FLA, but with all the semester breaks (and the airlines know about them) airfare then is more then the cost of the cruise. Our experience has also been that when we do either a European cruise or a TA, the cruise line's air has always been considerably less then if we booked on our own, independently.

We travel often and our schedules are wide open.

Makes a big difference not only in terms of flexibility but also in terms of attitude and willingness to 'go with the flow' so to speak. We leave next week with one way air and only 40 percent of our itinerary/hotels firmly booked. We will work the rest on the fly.

It was very different story when we were working and our schedules were tight.

Have you tried this approach over the Christmas Break or in July or August? During the really high season is the only time that I could see an issue with this approach.

I've done this once in August but it wasn't quite as last minute with the cruise booking. Perhaps 50-60 days out from sail date with the airfare being purchased during a sale in Feb. I didn't wait as long on that one because it was a family trip and I needed to make sure all the cabins were near each other. You're right, the high season is definitely riskier. I'm from a cold weather state, so the majority of my cruises are done to escape the cold Nov - Feb, so it's a lot easier to play the waiting game then.

Edited by curlygirl18

Have you bought the aifare before booking a cruise? Was thinking of rolling the dice. Book airfare to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and wait to see how low the cruise price would go. I figured if you book during the slow cruise season one might get a good deal.
This is precisely what I have been doing for our last few cruise vacations, and it is saving us a small fortune! First, research multiple cruise itineraries that use the same or close departure ports. For this strategy to work, ideally you must have a fairly busy port with many cruise line and itinerary options. Then approximately 3-4 months prior to your desired travel window when the typical airfare sale is on for your travel timeframe, book airfare that "boxes" most or all of the desired cruises. Then 30-65 days prior to departure (i.e. after final payment), and when the cruise fare has inevitably dropped to a song, book any of the cruises that fit your flight window. Lastly, book hotels and land trips for pre and/or post-cruise to fill the remainder of your travel window. And as already pointed out, this strategy does not work during peak holiday or other busy periods when cruises will not be heavily discounted, or if must sail on the newest ships, i.e. demand is expected to outpace supply. In summary, you book airfare at the same time you always do--you just don't book the cruise until after final payment!

I will also add to those that expressed concern that such a strategy somehow results in a less-than-ideal itinerary or cruise, or that you can't get the ideal or desired stateroom: we are getting better cruise lines/ships, better and longer itineraries, better staterooms AND paying far less, than we would have the old-fashioned way of booking months or years in advance! The main reason is simply that, by booking after final payment at a heavily discounted fare, you can afford to sail better lines/ships and book better stateroom categories than by booking early. I would much rather pay less for an Aqua-class or suite on X for example, than pay more for a popular "hump" cabin on RCI or Carnival 18 months in advance! :)

Edited by Terpnut