Becoming Elite

blondietoo

Hi all you expert cruiseers

I have a quick question. I am already Elite my husband is Platinum. We are about to embark on a 15 day cruise and as of now my husband has 147 days. When will he become Elite?? Also if there are Elite events will he be able to join me?

Thanks in advance

I have a quick question. I am already Elite my husband is Platinum. We are about to embark on a 15 day cruise and as of now my husband has 147 days. When will he become Elite?? Also if there are Elite events will he be able to join me?

Thanks in advance

Your husband will become Elite at the end of your cruise. He may accompany you during the cruise to Elite events.

Thanks in advance

Just talk with the Captain Circle Host and explain the situation and they will give your husband a black card.That way he can use the priority tendering with you.We had this happen and they gladly helped us.

Just talk with the Captain Circle Host and explain the situation and they will give your husband a black card.That way he can use the priority tendering with you.We had this happen and they gladly helped us.

I'm not sure I would count on that.

If your cruise could be booked in smaller segments, your husband could get to become Elite during the cruise after the completing the first segment. If your cruise doesn't have any tender ports, there's no need to get him a black card--just make sure to purchase any items in the shops with your cruise card to get the Elite discount.

Edited by geoherb

This is probably unusual (giving a black card to a non-Elite.) I became Elite on day #2 of a 15-day cruise and no matter how much I joked or begged for my black card, I was turned down. The website clearly says "after" a completed cruise. That said, there are no events or perks the non-Elite booked in the cabin can't attend or take advantage of. With laundry, just have the Elite member sign the slip.

This is probably unusual (giving a black card to a non-Elite.) I became Elite on day #2 of a 15-day cruise and no matter how much I joked or begged for my black card, I was turned down. The website clearly says "after" a completed cruise. That said, there are no events or perks the non-Elite booked in the cabin can't attend or take advantage of. With laundry, just have the Elite member sign the slip.

It was 2008 and we were doing 2 ten day cruises on Emerald,with my wife already being elite.I hit the 150 day mark a few days into the first cruise and was talking to the host and told her of the situation and that I could not use the priority tender with my wife.She picked up the phone and made a call and told us to see a certain person at the Passenger services desk who was waiting with my black card.The cruise prior to that on Sea a Princess,in the MED,they gave both of us black cards upon boarding.It cost Princess nothing and I just completed my 39th Princess cruise with 2 more booked for next year.Good customer relations can't hurt!

It was 2008 and we were doing 2 ten day cruises on Emerald,with my wife already being elite.I hit the 150 day mark a few days into the first cruise and was talking to the host and told her of the situation and that I could not use the priority tender with my wife.

On the Grand 2 weeks ago I was Elite and my partner was Platinum, we just went to the tender and I showed my black card and we got on. There was no need for her to show her card.

On the Grand 2 weeks ago I was Elite and my partner was Platinum, we just went to the tender and I showed my black card and we got on. There was no need for her to show her card.

Unfortunately,that was not the case on our cruises in 2008!

That has been our experience as well. No need for both to exhibit cruise cards.

Mike:)

Thanks in advance

Let me tell you about our experience with the wonderful folks at Princess.

Towards the end of our last cruise my wife received an info package congratulating her on achieving Elite status. This included a pin and the usual congratulatory letter etc extolling the virtues of a relationship with Princess.

Recently, when looking at Cruise Personalizer it was noticed that when browsing through "My Princess" her status was listed as Platinum. Upon emailing the Captain's Circle Department we were advised that they felt they had made a mistake in regard to credits granted for a cruise in 1999. Consequently, in their wisdom they have determined that she is no longer Elite. Clearly Princess has no need of a PR department as they have no concept of what is meant by the term. You will note that I say THEY made the mistake, not my wife, if indeed a mistake was made at all.

We have no idea as to what cruise they are referring to. Unlike some folks we don't keep meticulous records of every cruise ever taken, additionally we sail on a number of different cruise lines as well as travelling on many strictly land based trips. Trying to determine where or how we travelled during 1999 is more trouble than it's worth.

We questioned their response and waited over a week for a reply. This provided no further information, but merely parroted back their original statement. Perhaps most galling to me as someone who spent many years in an executive position with a major national corporation as well as successfully running companies of my own later in life is the fact whoever it was that responded on behalf of Princess did not have the courage or the common courtesy to append their name to the communication, but merely hid behind the genetic "Captain's Circle Department". Once again, in my view, a deplorable exercise in Public Relations.

At the moment we have 3 more cruises booked with these clowns. We have organized excursions, the cancellation of which would, sadly, impact other cruisers. We also are currently in the midst of reviewing options relating to cancelling air as well as hotel reservations. We may end up going on one of these cruises but will likely cancel the others. Beyond that we can definitely guarantee that any future cruises will be booked with anyone other than Princess.

So fellow cruisers don't expect much from these good folks as you go down the road.

I'm not sure I would count on that.

Me either. I think jonmik1 was lucky getting the second black card for tendering. I've never seen that done and wouldn't count on it. I suppose it's totally up to the Capt. Circle Hostess what she's willing to do and that could be totally different on every ship and possibly every sailing.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Towards the end of our last cruise my wife received an info package congratulating her on achieving Elite status. This included a pin and the usual congratulatory letter etc extolling the virtues of a relationship with Princess.

Recently, when looking at Cruise Personalizer it was noticed that when browsing through "My Princess" her status was listed as Platinum. Upon emailing the Captain's Circle Department we were advised that they felt they had made a mistake in regard to credits granted for a cruise in 1999. Consequently, in their wisdom they have determined that she is no longer Elite. Clearly Princess has no need of a PR department as they have no concept of what is meant by the term. You will note that I say THEY made the mistake, not my wife, if indeed a mistake was made at all.

We have no idea as to what cruise they are referring to. Unlike some folks we don't keep meticulous records of every cruise ever taken, additionally we sail on a number of different cruise lines as well as travelling on many strictly land based trips. Trying to determine where or how we travelled during 1999 is more trouble than it's worth.

We questioned their response and waited over a week for a reply. This provided no further information, but merely parroted back their original statement. Perhaps most galling to me as someone who spent many years in an executive position with a major national corporation as well as successfully running companies of my own later in life is the fact whoever it was that responded on behalf of Princess did not have the courage or the common courtesy to append their name to the communication, but merely hid behind the genetic "Captain's Circle Department". Once again, in my view, a deplorable exercise in Public Relations.

Seems as this has been via written (E-mail) communication.

Phone Princess. Ask to speak with the Captains Circle desk. Explain the situation and my guess is that the status will be restored.

Except the wine tasting. They would have to pay for that.

Seems as this has been via written (E-mail) communication.

Phone Princess. Ask to speak with the Captains Circle desk. Explain the situation and my guess is that the status will be restored.

I appreciate the comment and the sentiment, but past experience has pretty well indicated that talking to Princess personnel via phone is a complete waste of time.

The status aspect of this issue is of no consequence to me, frankly it's just the way they have chosen to handle the matter with my wife that I find to be objectionable.

Recently, when looking at Cruise Personalizer it was noticed that when browsing through "My Princess" her status was listed as Platinum. Upon emailing the Captain's Circle Department we were advised that they felt they had made a mistake in regard to credits granted for a cruise in 1999. Consequently, in their wisdom they have determined that she is no longer Elite.

At the moment we have 3 more cruises booked with these clowns. .... We may end up going on one of these cruises but will likely cancel the others. Beyond that we can definitely guarantee that any future cruises will be booked with anyone other than Princess.

While I agree with you that, once Elite status was given they should not have rescinded it, I also note that after the one cruise you will be taking, you will definitely have Elite status.

So you want to throw away those benefits - mini bar, free laundry, 10% discounts, canapés, high tea on your balcony, priority tendering, all after you have earned them? I can tell you, just the free laundry can add up to some real savings.

In you want to shoot yourself in the foot, go ahead and cancel those other two cruises. Or you could experience the benefits you have earned.

...Upon emailing the Captain's Circle Department we were advised that they felt they had made a mistake in regard to credits granted for a cruise in 1999...

Customer service seems to have deteriorated across most industries in recent years, so not sure changing cruise lines would matter much in that regard. I understand your frustration, however.

Edited by Ryndam2002

A garbage scow out of NYC would probably be a better alternative to Princess;)

I thought new york now buried its garbage, and there were no more

garbage scows.

For a good review of a garbage scow cruise, see if you can find the old

movie "HEAR NO EVIL, SEE NO EVIL"