Cuba Anyone?

keeponcruising

1.1 million Canadians just in the last year. Not including everyone else ie Europe, Central/South America etc Sorry my pet peeve. We (Canadians) are American as well. We are all North Americans, Central Americans and South American. The United States is a country not a continent. Sorry I guess this is the wrong place/time for a tiny rant lol Merry Christmas:)

Your point is well taken. One of my favorite places is Victoria B. C. I also love your national anthem.

1.1 million Canadians just in the last year. Not including everyone else ie Europe, Central/South America etc Sorry my pet peeve. We (Canadians) are American as well. We are all North Americans, Central Americans and South American. The United States is a country not a continent. Sorry I guess this is the wrong place/time for a tiny rant lol Merry Christmas:)

My guess of the 1.1 million Canadians that visited Cuba, an overwhelming number base their Cuba experience on a 7 day all-inclusive vacation at Varadero Beach. Not much different than making a judgement about the U.S. based on a 7 day holiday to Disneyland. I also believe U.S. citizens refer to themselves as Americans because there is no such word as "United Staters." With reference to your other comment, I doubt most Canadians, who are rightly concerned about their national identity, would be pleased to refer to themselves as Americans. I know my Canadian cousins wouldn't.

Edited by doublebzz

My guess of the 1.1 million Canadians that visited Cuba, an overwhelming number base their Cuba experience on a 7 day all-inclusive vacation at Varadero Beach. Not much different than making a judgement about the U.S. based on a 7 day holiday to Disneyland. I also believe U.S. citizens refer to themselves as Americans because there is no such word as "United Staters." With reference to your other comment, I doubt most Canadians, who are rightly concerned about their national identity, would be pleased to refer to themselves as Americans. I know my Canadian cousins wouldn't.

Not necessarily so. A lot of people rent cars, tour around etc not just stay at the beach. So you say that if I fly to Florida every winter for a holiday I cannot form an opinion about the United States and its people from my experiences? Yes we are Canadian and would be ok with being called North Americans and also our friends in Costa Rica feel they are also "Americans". It's not a big deal but I don't think many people in the US are too aware of this little niggle. You can call yourself Americans by all means, but remember we are here as well:) This definitely doesn't have to go the UN or anything lol Should have bit my tongue and not posted my tiny mini rant.

I also believe U.S. citizens refer to themselves as Americans because there is no such word as "United Staters." With reference to your other comment, I doubt most Canadians, who are rightly concerned about their national identity, would be pleased to refer to themselves as Americans. I know my Canadian cousins wouldn't.

Righto. "America" is in the name of our COUNTRY, for heavens' sakes.

Yes we are Canadian and would be ok with being called North Americans and also our friends in Costa Rica feel they are also "Americans". It's not a big deal but I don't think many people in the US are too aware of this little niggle. You can call yourself Americans by all means, but remember we are here as well:) This definitely doesn't have to go the UN or anything lol Should have bit my tongue and not posted my tiny mini rant.

I teach at a college campus with more than 50% Hispanic students. I have never met a student from Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, etc., who would identify as "American." And they are very concerned with being confused with someone from another South or Central American country.

There are North Americans, there are Central Americans, there are South Americans etc and there are Americans from United States of America. I don't think it's all that confusing. If a poll were taken, I would guess an overwhelming majority of people world wide would think someone was referring to those from U.S.A. when they say they are American. Is this really an issue? :confused:

Edited by sail7seas

We were on a cruise a few years ago. The topic of Cuba came up and we were shocked that most of the people at the table knew nothing about Cuba and seemed surprised th hear that it was only about 20 miles from Miami.

Edited by iancal

We were on a cruise a few years ago. The topic of Cuba came up and we were shocked that most of the people at the table knew nothing about Cuba and seemed surprised th hear that it was only about 20 miles from Miami.

Almost 200 miles from Miami and about 90 miles from key west.

Edited by superoma
Correction

There are North Americans, there are Central Americans, there are South Americans etc and there are Americans from United States of America. I don't think it's all that confusing. If a poll were taken, I would guess an overwhelming majority of people world wide would think someone was referring to those from U.S.A. when they say they are American. Is this really an issue? :confused:

Yes, I'd agree with you. I'd call myself Canadian, Brazilian, Mexican whatever. Why not be specific?

They probably think it was close to Canada, of which most Americans know equally nothing although we share a common border ;)

Righto. "America" is in the name of our COUNTRY, for heavens' sakes.

I teach at a college campus with more than 50% Hispanic students. I have never met a student from Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, etc., who would identify as "American." And they are very concerned with being confused with someone from another South or Central American country.

From our good friends at Wikipedia:

"Different languages use different terms for citizens of the United States of America, who are known in English as "Americans". All forms of English refer to these people as "Americans", derived from "The United States of America",[1] but there is some linguistic ambiguity over this due to the other senses of the word "American", which can also refer to people from the Americas in general."

Rather than to say America is the name of the country, might it be more accurate to say that there is a convention among English speakers to call citizens of the United States of America "Americans"?

Strictly speaking, "America" is not the name of your country.

So, what do you teach?

Rather than to say America is the name of the country,....

Read what you quoted again. What was said is that the word "America" is in the name of the country, not that it is the name of the country. .

Read what you quoted again. What was said is that the word "America" is in the name of the country, not that it is the name of the country. .

Thanks! :)

From our good friends at Wikipedia:

"Different languages use different terms for citizens of the United States of America, who are known in English as "Americans". All forms of English refer to these people as "Americans", derived from "The United States of America",[1] but there is some linguistic ambiguity over this due to the other senses of the word "American", which can also refer to people from the Americas in general."

Rather than to say America is the name of the country, might it be more accurate to say that there is a convention among English speakers to call citizens of the United States of America "Americans"?

So, what do you teach?

You do know that "our good friends at Wikipedia" means "some random person who had the time and the inclination to post about this topic"? ;) (Also explains why my students aren't allowed to use it as an academic source.)

Anyhoo, I teach public speaking, interpersonal communication, cross-cultural communication, and composition. Why do you ask?

Thanks! :)

You do know that "our good friends at Wikipedia" means "some random person who had the time and the inclination to post about this topic"? ;) (Also explains why my students aren't allowed to use it as an academic source.)

Anyhoo, I teach public speaking, interpersonal communication, cross-cultural communication, and composition. Why do you ask?

If by that you mean it isn't a referred source, quite right. And you shouldn't use any encyclopedia for anything other than context and basic fact. With that caution, Wiki references, even in papers written for Ivy league universities, are accepted.

North, south and central Americans have equal claim to the moniker "American", regardless that "America" is in the name of your country. Its a convention in English that USA citizens are called Americans. Compare this to the situation of say, citizens of the Russian Federation. They are called Russians, but Russia and Russian Federation have equal standing in that nation's constitution, and there are no other Russia's.

This isn't an important distinction except for public officials, scholars and the like.

There is an ambiguity that some see as presumptuous.

That said, new policy directions respecting Cuba out of DC will move all Americans, north, central and south etc closer to singing out of the same hymn book. Something to celebrate, especially at this time of year.

We (Canadians) are American as well. We are all North Americans, Central Americans and South American. The United States is a country not a continent. Sorry I guess this is the wrong place/time for a tiny rant lol Merry Christmas:)

Who cares?

Let me tell you why I care and its not the semantic discussion. The aforementioned post to which I made reference is upset because U.S. citizens refer to themselves as Americans. It implies that Americans use the term out of hubris and arrogance by claiming some sort exclusivity to the term "American." Sorry if I'm "thin skinned," but I sense a smidgen of anti-American sentiment in those remarks. If Canadians feel that slighted by not being called Americans, maybe they should change the official name of their country to "Canadian Provinces of America."

Does this mean that Cuba is somewhere in the keys? And here I alwsy thougt that Cuba was approx. 90 miles from Key West!

I am Canadian and always refer to myself as Canadian. I never refer to myself as American or North American.

It does not bother me in the least if those in the US call themselves American nor do I find it the least bit arrogant or offensive. Most of the world refers to the U.S. as America.

So why split the atom so to speak? As Canadian. I view Americans as our neighbours and our best friends. If they want to call themselves Americans it is just fine with me. And I suspect it is that way with the vast majority of Canadians.

Let me tell you why I care and its not the semantic discussion. The aforementioned post to which I made reference is upset because U.S. citizens refer to themselves as Americans. It implies that Americans use the term out of hubris and arrogance by claiming some sort exclusivity to the term "American." Sorry if I'm "thin skinned," but I sense a smidgen of anti-American sentiment in those remarks. If Canadians feel that slighted by not being called Americans, maybe they should change the official name of their country to "Canadian Provinces of America."

OMG Chill!!! You read all that animosity into a simple comment!:confused:

I am Canadian and always refer to myself as Canadian. I never refer to myself as American or North American.

It does not bother me in the least if those in the US call themselves American nor do I find it the least bit arrogant or offensive. Most of the world refers to the U.S. as America.

So why split the atom so to speak? As Canadian. I view Americans as our neighbours and our best friends. If they want to call themselves Americans it is just fine with me. And I suspect it is that way with the vast majority of Canadians.

I totally agree! My comment was just one of semantics and I meant it in a light hearted way. Sorry if I upset some people.