HAL Tours - Private Tour Operators

sail7seas

Just about all of our tours have been private ones. Sometimes arranged on the this forum, others arranged when we arrived at the port. Never a problem.

We have never spent much time chit chatting on the forum about these tours other than to get the itinerary, number of people on the tour, tour operator, and of course price. The basics-and sign up of course. We don't view it as a dating site and we are not looking for best friends for life.

We always take the earliest possible tour and like to be back in the vicinity of the ship 1 1/2-2 hours prior to departure. Touch wood, never had an issue.

Kazu, thanks for the detailed information-- very helpful. I can see how this would work for you and anyone on your roll call. You're well-known on this board and regular posters know how much research you put into your tours.

I guess I'm thinking of a couple of my recent roll calls. Very few posts, and the few that there are, they only trying to round people up for private tours. Not even a welcome to new posters. :( I'm getting pretty disgusted. Who wants to do a private tour with someone you have never met, and who doesn't bother to even chit chat so you know if you would like them. Sorry for the rant, but it has gotten so bad it's a pet peeve of mine. :p No wonder some posters never join their roll calls!

I hear you on this rant and no problem with me.

I do post on my roll calls and for me, that's part of the fun.

For tours I organize, I always ask my participants to email me. If I can't 'talk' to them, then I do indeed have reservations. At the very least, I need to be able to reach them in case there is a change of plans by the operator, etc.

so far, my experience is that others that do private tours on our cruises do the same.

It made life easy as a we split the work among a few of us, consulted back and forth when there were questions, but with all the ports we had, it was nice not to be in charge of all of the tours :)

I know others just sign up and meet on board. I'm honestly not really comfortable with that unless it's a poster I know and trust like tooalto (who also emails), my mentor :)

Sadly, it sounds like you need to be the spark plug on your roll call and welcome the new posters.

Sometimes one person can make the difference. don't get discouraged. Roll calls can be fabulous and mine have truly been.

Edited by kazu

It is actually quite easy to work out - at least it has been for us.

Normally for a private tour, I am emailing my group in advance with options, etc. so I can get a 'feel' as to what interests the group as a whole.

Quite often, by the time we are touring, between the roll calls, emails and meeting each other on board it is a very congenial group.

So, when the guide asks or we ask, yes, we do literally take a vote or we have already decided that if we want to spend more time in one place, we realize that this means another site will get less time.

We have done things like just get a baguette in Normandy to eat like the French and at the same time see as much as possible.

When the groups are small, it's easy to do. At least, that has been my experience.

I guess, in essence the organizer is technically the leader, but we try be a democracy so to speak.

There are times you do have to step up - ie., when you have gotten a guide who is too absorbed in one spot and you tell them you want to move on, etc. But that is a pretty rare occurrence.

edited to say - the other thing is that eventually you meet some of the same travellers again. On our Prinsendam cruise we were lucky to have CC members we had cruise with before. So, private tours were a breeze to organize with them since we knew each other and were all pretty like-minded.

I had forgotten about the baguettes. Everyone sitting around on the sea wall munching our lunch. It was different and it was fun and it was quick. No wasting time waiting for restaurant service.

I guess I'm thinking of a couple of my recent roll calls. Very few posts, and the few that there are, they only trying to round people up for private tours. Not even a welcome to new posters. :( I'm getting pretty disgusted. Who wants to do a private tour with someone you have never met, and who doesn't bother to even chit chat so you know if you would like them. Sorry for the rant, but it has gotten so bad it's a pet peeve of mine. :p No wonder some posters never join their roll calls!

For some people, I think one of the overriding considerations for arranging private tours is cost. They want to get folks signed up quickly. You can generally tell these as the "arrangers" don't really know anything much other than what the operator has told them.

I have only once arranged a private tour for more than 4 people. I like small groups but also, I have specific things I want to see and do in a port that often aren't the "must see" items on every traveler's list. Hence, I am lucky to find even 1 or 2 others who are interested in sharing. :o

I am willing to consider suggestions and make modifications up to a point. Certain things are non-negotiable though -- like forced shopping stops. I feel it's okay if I am the arranger to make that clear in my description of the tour.

I'll provide as much info as I can to anyone interested. But I also am not a big one for chit-chatting on roll calls.

Edited by cruisemom42

Kazu, thanks for the detailed information-- very helpful. I can see how this would work for you and anyone on your roll call. You're well-known on this board and regular posters know how much research you put into your tours.

What a shame! I am fortunate to be on a roll call with Kazu for my next cruise, and I can attest to how diplomatic it can be when it comes to decision-making about a tour. We recently had a choice of 3 hours or 4 hours for a particular excursion - Kazu took a poll of everyone's choice, and majority ruled. Everyone was happy with that.

I have actually seen roll calls that excluded some people from certain events (which I understood was against roll call etiquette) and that left a really nasty impression with me of those who did that.

What a shame! I am fortunate to be on a roll call with Kazu for my next cruise, and I can attest to how diplomatic it can be when it comes to decision-making about a tour. We recently had a choice of 3 hours or 4 hours for a particular excursion - Kazu took a poll of everyone's choice, and majority ruled. Everyone was happy with that.

I have actually seen roll calls that excluded some people from certain events (which I understood was against roll call etiquette) and that left a really nasty impression with me of those who did that.

Did everyone continue to participate when some had been excluded?

What is a tactful, considerate way to handle such a situation if you use a public internet forum and a Roll Call where presumably everyone is welcome to sign up for Roll Call private tours?

I was recently on a cruise where all CC roll call activities were by exclusive invitation. That is not in the spirit of CC roll calls. It hurts to be excluded, it hurts to read on CC that people intend to ignore you and it hurts more to read on CC that the participants spent their time discussing members they don't like. I am looking forward to our next cruise where everyone is welcome but beyond that I have serious reservations about joining roll calls.

I was recently on a cruise where all CC roll call activities were by exclusive invitation. That is not in the spirit of CC roll calls. It hurts to be excluded, it hurts to read on CC that people intend to ignore you and it hurts more to read on CC that the participants spent their time discussing members they don't like. I am looking forward to our next cruise where everyone is welcome but beyond that I have serious reservations about joining roll calls.

What a coincidence we would be posting these messages at the same time. :D

Many of the posters on the roll calls never post on the HAL board. They only post on the roll calls looking for low cost tours. On the recent Noordam Mediterranean, which I had to cancel at the last minute due to DH's health crisis in Rome, I spent months talking to myself.

When a few did join and I tried to "chit chat" besides offering tours, they didn't return, nor did they even bite for the tours. At the last minute many of them emailed me privately asking me what tours I had set up like I was their tour director.

I had set up the roll call and meet and greet and that too was like pulling teeth until the very last minute.

I gave up on the tours and booked private drivers for DH and myself except for one or two where there was some interest.

I'm pretty well known here, but that made no difference on the roll call unless some of the regular HAL posters are also on the cruise with you.

Terri

I've seen this myself and have been alerted by other cc members when people have said nasty things about me. There is no reason for this behaviour. Like a person or not, there is no reason to talk about people this way.

I've seen this myself and have been alerted by other cc members when people have said nasty things about me. There is no reason for this behaviour. Like a person or not, there is no reason to talk about people this way.

A rule of thumb......

If someone is talking about others to you, it is highly likely they are talking about you to others.

Not always the case but something to watch out for.

I'm not talking about the occasional off the cuff comment but the kind that would exclude someone from a Roll Call Activities including but not limited to private tours.

WOW!! All I can say is that this very sad!!!

Roll calls are for everyone. There is no exclusion. If you want to do a private party then invite privately, simple.

I'm really sorry to hear this and I do hope you don't let this one bad roll call experience tarnish you for future roll calls.

We've always enjoyed having you on any roll call we have been fortunate enough to have you on :)

Wow that behaviour is really appalling :( Maybe you should be grateful. Sounds like a pretty uncouth group. You may have dodged a bullet :D

I'm very surprised at the Surprise :eek: this seems to be to some.

Sapper stated what occurred with her Roll Call and there is no reason to doubt her.

I find it very believable. We've all lived long enough and had

enough life experiences to be realists. No shock and awe required. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Sapper stated what occurred with her Roll Call and there is no reason to doubt her.

You forgot to add IMO.:D We are not all of the same mind - thankfully.

It's a huge surprise to me sorry.

I have NEVER been on a roll call where people were excluded.

That's just not right.

It sure doesn't represent the spirit of Cruise Critic and I find it very sad.

I guess if I was a cynic, I shouldn't be surprised but I am always upset when I see hurtful things done deliberately, sorry. Everyone makes mistakes, but this sounds very, very deliberate and that is just shameful

edited to say - to be clear, I don't doubt sapper1 one bit. I just find that this is despicable.

Edited by kazu

There is one always super grumpy poster that gets upset when you write IMO. That poster says that it is redundant.

Yes,,,,,,,, :D LOL,

When someone starts a sentence with "I", it does indicate it applies to that person. ;)

I think this overactive protesting is just fine. It says what it says.

However, one of our very regular, very well known and presumably respected posters made a very serious post about something that applies to HAL, CC, Roll Calls and private tours. It is all pertinent to subjects to be discussed on CC, IMO <<<<<<

As is often stated here, just because some protest they have never seen or heard or participated in something does not mean it doesn't happen.

Many of the posters on the roll calls never post on the HAL board. They only post on the roll calls looking for low cost tours. On the recent Noordam Mediterranean, which I had to cancel at the last minute due to DH's health crisis in Rome, I spent months talking to myself.

When a few did join and I tried to "chit chat" besides offering tours, they didn't return, nor did they even bite for the tours. At the last minute many of them emailed me privately asking me what tours I had set up like I was their tour director.

I had set up the roll call and meet and greet and that too was like pulling teeth until the very last minute.

I gave up on the tours and booked private drivers for DH and myself except for one or two where there was some interest.

I'm pretty well known here, but that made no difference on the roll call unless some of the regular HAL posters are also on the cruise with you.

Terri

I bolded your first sentence because that is exactly what I have found on some roll calls. (I have had some great roll calls too, but not always).

The times I'm talking about, the posters (and the OPs) aren't regular posters to the HAL board. I have no idea who they are, or how reliable they are. I don't want to sign up for a private tour with strangers, not knowing if they will even show up. :eek: Also many times they are so slow at even talking about anything at all on the roll call, there is no time to get to know them. Plus by then I have made my own plans. :rolleyes:

I would have no hesitation with tours arranged by you, Kazu or cruisemom42, and others here.

Edited by Cruising-along

As we have become more seasoned cruisers, we have taken more & more private tours, which we prefer, but there are still some times when we will take ship tours. For various reasons - timing, security, environment. We have three upcoming more-or-less consecutive cruises in the Caribbean (hooray!) starting next month, and on the first we have accumulated a huge amount of OBC, so we are going to take a few ship excursions to use it up (we don't drink enough!)

We have been on a number of private excursions and I have arranged a number as well. If someone else is arranging, we make sure they are seeing the things we want to see. If I am arranging, Mr Chew & I will pretty much set the itinerary and then open it up to others, and we'll take suggestions. We limit the number to 10 or 12.

We had a number of long private excursions on a very long cruise once, organized by a very wonderful gentleman, but he did not limit the numbers and we ended up with more people than on some of the ship excursions. Of course the cost was much less, but we lost all of the other advantages of the smaller groups. I think if I ever saw that happening again, I would withdraw from the tour and try to find another or organize one myself.

We've had a few private excursions that were so important to us that we limited them to our party alone. Sometimes just the two of us.

Jacqui (Kazu) is a great tour organizer!! I'd love to cruise & tour with her again!!

It's a huge surprise to me sorry.

I have NEVER been on a roll call where people were excluded.

That's just not right.

It sure doesn't represent the spirit of Cruise Critic and I find it very sad.

I guess if I was a cynic, I shouldn't be surprised but I am always upset when I see hurtful things done deliberately, sorry. Everyone makes mistakes, but this sounds very, very deliberate and that is just shameful

edited to say - to be clear, I don't doubt sapper1 one bit. I just find that this is despicable.

It was a surprise to me as well - again not doubting sapper1 -just a surprise. I guess the roll calls on our cruises including CCL and RCCL haven't been the close kind enough that choices were made about inclusion or exclusion. I even find the idea of group private tours being organized within a roll call fascinating. About as deep as our roll calls got was a casual "meet at the pool bar for sailaway" or if a "meet and greet" was planned for the 1st sea day folks decided after meeting in person whether they wanted to hang out during the cruise.:rolleyes:

I know that hurts, and it would hurt me too. However, I think you have to take that from whence it comes. I always try to stay positive on this board. It doesn't always work, and I know this doesn't sound very positive, but if they excluded you, chances are you would not have been very comfortable in their presence anyway.

Terri

I know that hurts, and it would hurt me too. However, I think you have to take that from whence it comes. I always try to stay positive on this board. It doesn't always work, and I know this doesn't sound very positive, but if they excluded you, chances are you would not have been very comfortable in their presence anyway.

Terri

A very kind and wise post, Terri.

Well said.