HAL Tours - Private Tour Operators

sail7seas

We almost always book private tours, or depending on the port, just explore and tour on our own. When we do book private excursions, it is after quite a bit of research here on CC, on TripAdvisor, and other spots on the net. As was mentioned up-thread, we also only book with well known, established and presumably reputable tour guides. Over 20+ years of cruising, knock on wood, haven't had a problem.

Sometime a private tour operator will mention insurance coverage, which is fine. However, we always have our own insurance, and are prepared to pay out-of-pocket on the spot for any medical services. So, whether or not the operator has coverage is not a determining factor for us.

I find it interesting how these types of discussions always lead to many posters implying that people who take ship's tours are lazy, scared, stupid, and/or insular sheeple because they don't want to experience the "real" aspects of the port stop.

Personally I prefer ship-sponsoered tours because the work has been done for me. My vacations are for relaxing not for dealing with do-it-yourself projects. I have enough of those in my day-to-day life.

Neither option is better or worse, they are just different. And isn't is very nice that there are the different options so everyone can have just the kind of vacation experience they want?

I find it interesting how these types of discussions always lead to many posters implying that people who take ship's tours are lazy, scared, stupid, and/or insular sheeple because they don't want to experience the "real" aspects of the port stop.

Personally I prefer ship-sponsoered tours because the work has been done for me. My vacations are for relaxing not for dealing with do-it-yourself projects. I have enough of those in my day-to-day life.

Neither option is better or worse, they are just different. And isn't is very nice that there are the different options so everyone can have just the kind of vacation experience they want?

For us, we also do ship tours where it makes sense. For instance, we have an upcoming Indonesia cruise on Princess. One of our stops is Jakarta, and I can't tell you how many reports I've read online about the terrible traffic there. So, for Jakarta, we are doing a ship tour.

Sail, with all due respect you said this:

I hardly compare that to a taxi and driver or fellow with a clipboard though potentially highly experienced and educated.

calling a private guide a taxi and a driver with a fellow with a clipboard does not describe a real private tour for me.

No worries, and thanks for the kind words.

Different strokes :)

Kazu,

I'm having a hard time finding highly experienced and highly educated as words of insult.

Same for my description of knowledgeable posters on this forum.

I do not think of descriptive words: very qualified with good information as demeaning or denigrating. I cannot imagine someone taking offense at such description.

Sorry.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks Ellieanne. I think the defensive tone does predominate sometimes. IMO there is no right or wrong to this issue. It's one of the choices we make. Go on our own, go with ship's tour, go with private tour, stay aboard...... do what pleases you. :)

This is some of what I hoped to learn about.

Do you actually look at their license, their registrations and insurance verification?

Yes, as far as I am able -- I am a compulsive researcher.

Some of the info (licensing number, accreditation) is often available on the providers' websites, as already mentioned. I also try to learn about the various bodies governing tour operators in the country I am visiting (for example, TURSAB in Turkey, of which member operators are bonded and insured). Not all countries have equal requirements, but providers generally must meet certain minimum requirements for insurance in order to be licensed in a particular company.

I also make sure the guides provided are licensed.

I am not a "scared, stupid, and/or insular sheeple." But I am lazy. And I am older. I have been mostly happy with the HAL shorex we have taken. I can only remember two guides that are lucky I didn't strangle them. One survived because I escaped them to wander St Paul de Vence on my own and the other survived, because as annoying as he was, he had the information and meant well.

As I get older the slower pace of a ship shorex actually suits me. And HAL has been offering some tours in smaller vehicles for not a large premium. Three of our shorex in our recent Hawaii cruise were in vehicles for 10-24 people and in the latter case we had empty seats.

We each learn what suits us. In a new place I'm happy to have HAL do the work. In a French-speaking area I'm happy to be on my own. Let's just be thankful that options are available for every pace and preference.

Edited by shrimp56

Totally agree. It's the constant insults that get tiresome and some of the stories that get told about ships tours. Wow.

Huh? To say they may be highly experienced and educated is demeaning?

To say there are some very qualified posters with good information on this site with this sort of information is insulting? :confused: Of course, you are one of those to whom I am referring, Kazu.

I don't think that an insulting description. Sorry if you do.

Sail, what I interpreted when I read your post and what you meant were obviously two different things. there is no point in continuing this conversational pretzel.

Smooth Seas :)

I don't imply anything regarding people who do ship tours. People do them for many reasons, including relaxation, not wanting to plan and because of physical limitations. I don't consider them stupid or lazy or anything else.

I, on the other hand, find a lot of joy in planning my trips. Half the fun is the anticipation and planning for me. Taking private tours or just hopping in a taxi affords me the opportunity to go where I want to go and not where HAL wants to take me. Especially if we have hired a car for just the two of us, the tour is customized to fit our needs. To me, this is worth every penny and all the time I have spent planning the tour.

I also don't get stuck, like when I paid HAL $84 for a tour of Colonial Panama by night and they took me to three souvenir shops. I was not a very happy cruiser on that one. And I made sure the shore excursion desk knew that we did not go to the places on the tour description. We received a refund.

Terri

Yes, as far as I am able -- I am a compulsive researcher.

Some of the info (licensing number, accreditation) is often available on the providers' websites, as already mentioned. I also try to learn about the various bodies governing tour operators in the country I am visiting (for example, TURSAB in Turkey, of which member operators are bonded and insured). Not all countries have equal requirements, but providers generally must meet certain minimum requirements for insurance in order to be licensed in a particular company.

I also make sure the guides provided are licensed.

Excellent. Proper prior planning prevents ...... :)

Everything in life presents some tiny chance for misstep but you do seem to take all practical precautions.

I don't imply anything regarding people who do ship tours. People do them for many reasons, including relaxation, not wanting to plan and because of physical limitations. I don't consider them stupid or lazy or anything else.

I, on the other hand, find a lot of joy in planning my trips. Half the fun is the anticipation and planning for me. Taking private tours or just hopping in a taxi affords me the opportunity to go where I want to go and not where HAL wants to take me. Especially if we have hired a car for just the two of us, the tour is customized to fit our needs. To me, this is worth every penny and all the time I have spent planning the tour.

I also don't get stuck, like when I paid HAL $84 for a tour of Colonial Panama by night and they took me to three souvenir shops. I was not a very happy cruiser on that one. And I made sure the shore excursion desk knew that we did not go to the places on the tour description. We received a refund.

Terri

Not all tours go to shop. Sorry that you've had that experience. The very best tour I've ever taken was in Lima Peru. As far as I know the only way to do that tour is through the cruise line. It would be a shame to miss it just because a person is so opposed to ship tours. Work takes up about 60 hours a week for me. I certainly don't need one more job to do. I don't feel slighted in any way because I've missed out on a private tour which may or may not be be a carbon copy of a hal tour

1. Regarding tour operators and insurance, it was my understanding that the main insurance concern/expectation relate to vehicle insurance and driver insurance. If there were to be a significant driving accident, does the tour operator have a pre determined amount of what we in the US would call Liability insurance in case of a bus/van/car accident. I do not know if they have any requirements of insurance for someone falling while walking on the tour or such. While major vehicle accidents are probably very rare, you all may recall the bus tour somewhere in South America several years ago where there was a major vehicle accident (a number were killed) involving a privately arranged non-ship tour and the per the news reports, the company did not have any insurance.

2. I have been on ship tours with wonderful guides and with poor guides. I have also been on private, small tours with wonderful guides and with poor guides. I certainly would not put down either type of guide based on my over 800 cruising days with several cruise lines. Different types of tours meet the needs of different folks. I cannot understand why some folks have to "put down" the preferences of others. Different priorities, interests and/or personal needs - yes they are different but why the need of some to put down other's needs and choices in an unpleasant manner, be it actual words or the tone a post conveys?

Have only been on 1 cruise so far, but on that cruise we did both kind of tours. We went with the NCL overnight tour to Cairo from Alexandria. This was due to the previous unrest in Egypt and my DH wanted "protection" given by the cruise ship. Other CC members organised a private tour with the same stops etc. Their tour was nearly half the cost of ours. we both had the same experience, the same "protection" (men in dark suits with sunnies and guns hidden behind their jackets). The difference for us was that we had peace of mind that we were wiling to pay for.

On the same cruise we joined a private tour organised on our roll call by CC members to Ephesus. It was also much cheaper than the ship's tour and incorporated more places. It was a very small group of 10 compared to the size of the ships group. We were very happy with the day and all went smoothly.

Due to these experiences, I would do both kinds again according to the circumstances of each port. On our next cruise I am thinking of a ship tour in Tunis due to the history of the region and the uncertainty of trouble arising again. In other ports I would definitely join a private tour. Being an inexperienced cruiser it is all still a learning game for me, but a game I love learning and researching. :)

Regarding treatment/help provided by HAL in a medical emergency like the one recently described in such positive terms, I have had several traveling friends on HAL cruises with family emergencies/tragedies who had similar very positive reports of the treatment/assistance/comfort provided by HAL personnel and Port Agent staff in Europe and Asia. (I will say these were on longer cruises.)

I have no idea the proportion of those pleased and those unhappy, but the case described is NOT a fluke!!! Why the differences - Different expectations? Different personalities??? Demand vs appreciate? Different crew? Different needs? Number of other urgent/emergent cases onboard? - probably some of each of these and other reasons. Why do CC folks have to almost always question of even challenge individual reports of positive or poor treatment, crew, etc?

It's all about choices. It does not matter if you do ship tour or private - it's your choice. And as such, everyone has to do their own research - it requires effort on your part - and not expect others to do it for them and collate the information here.

Reading various threads on touring ports we end up feeling much as you do - that, in the opinion of some posters, we are somehow inferior travelers for opting more often than not for cruise line excursions. :(

The truth is that it's our hobby to spend a lot of time studying the ports we're bound for and then picking an excursion that best fits what we want to see and experience. We are probably more informed that 90% of the cruise folks that visit regarding the history and culture of those ports.

DH has health problems that inhibit our choices but we go into the tour with a positive attitude and are happy that we can still experience the various ports coming away with a wealth of knowledge and memories of the beautiful sights we've seen. We too feel glad that there are choices to fit everyone's needs and desires. :)

Reading various threads on touring ports we end up feeling much as you do - that, in the opinion of some posters, we are somehow inferior travelers for opting more often than not for cruise line excursions. :(

The truth is that it's our hobby to spend a lot of time studying the ports we're bound for and then picking an excursion that best fits what we want to see and experience. We are probably more informed that 90% of the cruise folks that visit regarding the history and culture of those ports.

DH has health problems that inhibit our choices but we go into the tour with a positive attitude and are happy that we can still experience the various ports coming away with a wealth of knowledge and memories of the beautiful sights we've seen. We too feel glad that there are choices to fit everyone's needs and desires. :)

I certainly am not putting anyone down for their choices one way or another. In some cases private is better for us and in other cases the ship tour will be a better choice. It's all up to the person involved and the circumstances surrounding the tour. People choose what is best for them at the time and that is as it should be.

(bolding mine)

Ellieanne, my comments that follow are not directed at you, but your post is a good lead-in to mine, so I quoted you :)

I don't see anyone implying anything like what you suggest in the part that I've bolded. It does seem, though, that on this and any other thread where there is a difference of opinion, some posters think that anyone holding an opposing view is being "difficult" or "confrontational". I completely agree with you that neither option is better or worse, just different. Whatever someone chooses is what works for them, in their specific circumstances.

I have a friend who is absolutely terrified of doing anything on shore that isn't a HAL shorex. On the other hand, I often want a DIY sort of thing. So we compromise, and she will sometimes do a DIY if I provide enough information to reassure her that we will get back to the ship on time.

Sadly my DH got turned off HAL shorex, and finds them not to his taste. So sometimes he compromises with me and will do a HAL shorex if there is one I specifically want to do.

I certainly am not putting anyone down for their choices one way or another. In some cases private is better for us and in other cases the ship tour will be a better choice. It's all up to the person involved and the circumstances surrounding the tour. People choose what is best for them at the time and that is as it should be.

+1

Well put, Sapper.

Our first choice is always to DIY, meaning rental cars or public transportation. That way we aren't on anyone else's schedule and can see and do what WE want. Some of our best memories were DIY ports.

I'm curious about one thing. Those who do private tours in groups of 4-10 or so -- you say a big plus is being able to customize your tour. So who decides?? Do you take a vote? :confused: This is a serious question, I'm really curious. Seems like there would usually be a "leader" who might sway others to his/her wishes?

We have done private tours and had good and bad experiences, just like with HAL tours. If we were going with some couples we knew well, it wouldn't be a problem -- but if we had never met...just wondering. Obviously you must all work it out, but how easy is that?

Our first choice is always to DIY, meaning rental cars or public transportation. That way we aren't on anyone else's schedule and can see and do what WE want. Some of our best memories were DIY ports.

I'm curious about one thing. Those who do private tours in groups of 4-10 or so -- you say a big plus is being able to customize your tour. So who decides?? Do you take a vote? :confused: This is a serious question, I'm really curious. Seems like there would usually be a "leader" who might sway others to his/her wishes?

We have done private tours and had good and bad experiences, just like with HAL tours. If we were going with some couples we knew well, it wouldn't be a problem -- but if we had never met...just wondering. Obviously you must all work it out, but how easy is that?

It is actually quite easy to work out - at least it has been for us.

Normally for a private tour, I am emailing my group in advance with options, etc. so I can get a 'feel' as to what interests the group as a whole.

Quite often, by the time we are touring, between the roll calls, emails and meeting each other on board it is a very congenial group.

So, when the guide asks or we ask, yes, we do literally take a vote or we have already decided that if we want to spend more time in one place, we realize that this means another site will get less time.

We have done things like just get a baguette in Normandy to eat like the French and at the same time see as much as possible.

When the groups are small, it's easy to do. At least, that has been my experience.

I guess, in essence the organizer is technically the leader, but we try be a democracy so to speak.

There are times you do have to step up - ie., when you have gotten a guide who is too absorbed in one spot and you tell them you want to move on, etc. But that is a pretty rare occurrence.

edited to say - the other thing is that eventually you meet some of the same travellers again. On our Prinsendam cruise we were lucky to have CC members we had cruise with before. So, private tours were a breeze to organize with them since we knew each other and were all pretty like-minded.

Edited by kazu

Kazu, thanks for the detailed information-- very helpful. I can see how this would work for you and anyone on your roll call. You're well-known on this board and regular posters know how much research you put into your tours.

I guess I'm thinking of a couple of my recent roll calls. Very few posts, and the few that there are, they only trying to round people up for private tours. Not even a welcome to new posters. :( I'm getting pretty disgusted. Who wants to do a private tour with someone you have never met, and who doesn't bother to even chit chat so you know if you would like them. Sorry for the rant, but it has gotten so bad it's a pet peeve of mine. :p No wonder some posters never join their roll calls!

It's all about choices. It does not matter if you do ship tour or private - it's your choice. And as such, everyone has to do their own research - it requires effort on your part - and not expect others to do it for them and collate the information here.

Meant to comment on this earlier. Sorry I was distracted by the cold weather and our fresh snow :eek:

I agree, we all have choices and we can all exercise those choices without making others feel that their choice is somehow inferior.

I also agree that every one of us is responsible for doing our own research. What is important to me may not be at all important to someone else, so I better find out the answers that are important to me :)

Just about all of our tours have been private ones. Sometimes arranged on the this forum, others arranged when we arrived at the port. Never a problem.

We have never spent much time chit chatting on the forum about these tours other than to get the itinerary, number of people on the tour, tour operator, and of course price. And sign up of course.

We always take the earliest possible tour and like to be back in the vicinity of the ship 1 1/2-2 hours prior to departure. Touch wood, never had an issue.