Need Updated Info - San Diego Pre-Cruise Hotel

The Tsar

We have been to San Diego for cruises before, but not since new cruise pier.

Need current opinions/recommendations for a single night hotel stay in March 2015. We have previous stayed at the Holiday Inn - On The Bay.

Need current opinions/recommendations for a single night hotel stay in March 2015. We have previous stayed at the Holiday Inn - On The Bay.

The building is still there but it is now a Wyndam Hotel - every bit as good as when it was Holiday Inn.

Holiday Inn across the street is now Wyndham. Has been fully remodeled and is very nice- we stayed there last May. Try to stay in the South Tower- bay view rooms. You'll be looking directly at the bow of your ship when you open the curtains in the morning.

We like the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown --- it's on 5th St. Used to be a bank & they've kept some of the features....it's an older building - close to the Gaslight/Gaslamp area & a shopping mall within walking distance. The rail system is around the block from it if you want to get to SD early & do some sightseeing.

Just re-checked my Cruise Records -

We have stayed at the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn on 555 West Ash St. in the past.

Currently their www site indicates they are doing a First Floor Lobby re-model from November 10, 2014 to May 1st, 2015.

Has anyone stay there recently?

Our experience at the Best Western Bayside was a year ago. We had no water every day from 11 am to 5 pm. The only notice we got was a little sign at the check-in counter. At least you are getting advance warning of the lobby remodel ;) Check TripAdvisor and see if there are recent reviews, since the start of the remodel.

Some friends had trouble getting a room in San Diego in March (I think the 15th) so if you are around the same time, check soon. Beware the ides...?

I think they ended up near Old Town with a lot of help from our TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by PatsyAnne

Some friends had trouble getting a room in San Diego in March (I think the 15th) so if you are around the same time, check soon. Beware the ides...?

I think they ended up near Old Town with a lot of help from our TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lots of conventions in San Diego. The Convention Center is about a mile form the piers.

Cow Princess - I appreciated the update on Best Western. I contacted them via telephone. Although they have one of the best pricings with complementary Shuttle Service (Airport and Cruise Terminal) and complimentary Breakfast, they are still in the middle of their "Remodeling". Although they stated they have made a path through the lobby to parking area for Shuttle - I did not wish to try to navigate with 6+ suitcases through all the construction.

Essiesmom/Cruz Chick - Thank you for the Westgate recommendation. Although no complimentary frills and slightly further from the "Little Italy" area, with 30% higher than Best Western, they seemed to be one of the better hotels in the area we wanted.

Again, Thank you all that responded quickly to my post.

On our visits/cruises out of San Diego we wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn (now Wyndam) to be near the pier but the hotel wanted around $200.00 per night. Using Priceline we successfully bid on four star hotels downtown (Gaslamp area) for $70.00per night. This was a few years ago.

I stay at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway, which is a 2-block walk over to the terminal. Year before last I had to stay in Old Towne due to a urologists' convention.

Roz

Just re-checked my Cruise Records -

We have stayed at the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn on 555 West Ash St. in the past.

Currently their www site indicates they are doing a First Floor Lobby re-model from November 10, 2014 to May 1st, 2015.

Has anyone stay there recently?

I stayed at the BW Bayside last October. Our room was nice but I heard from another cruiser who was not impressed with her room. The breakfast was just okay but the bar/restaurant where it is located (outside of the hotel) is not visually appealing inside. I wouldn't book the hotel because of the free breakfast. The cab ride was fairly short but a bit round about because of the one way streets. We did use their shuttle to the airport which was great.

If/when I go back to San Diego, I'll probably look for another hotel. We've stayed at many BWs but I think I'm getting tired of them and want a little more than what they provide.

We often stay at the Embassy Suites. However, for our stay in December prior to our cruise, the hotel lobby and atrium were under major renovation. It was a very noisy and dusty environment from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm especially. Everything throughout the main level was ripped up as they were removing the waterway, bridge, some steps, cutting tile, pouring cement, etc. We would not have stayed if we'd known in advance, and we felt that the hotel should have been closed during this major reno. I'm not sure how long the work will continue, but check that it is complete before staying there! I hope this helps. There are several hotels within a mile of the cruise terminal, and the airport is close too! It is a great city.

We just stayed at th Wyndam for our new years cruise and the rooms have all been redone and are very nice. Look for a sale by them we paid about $ 118. plus tax about $ 132. and also they give a discount for AAA maybe aarp also. We drive there and through one of the park &fly companies they have a parking package that gave us 8 days for $68.50 and then all we do is walk our bags directly across the street and leave our car in their covered garage and is really simple Good luck.:):):)

We stay at the Days Inn right by Little Italy. Is a block away from Harbor Dr, right by all the BEST places to eat in Little Italy and 2 blocks away from Enterprise Rent-a-Car.

Place is serviceable enough for a few nights pre/post cruise.