Layering for Alaska

Bristol5

I am a cold natured Southerner planning a May Alaskan Cruise. I have read everything on CC about packing and planning for Alaska. I understand the recommendation of "layering". I have been experimenting with the "layering" concept and am finding it: very uncomfortable. Is there a secret to the "layering". I believe that the first layer must be something you could wear by itself, therefore the long underwear, cuddledud, type thing would not work. I need some more specific advice as to HOW to layer.:o For example, today, I put on a long sleeve light weight shirt, then a sweater, then a fleece jacket, and on top of that a light weight rain coat. I had on fleece lined leggings under jeans. I was terribly uncomfortable. I was not cold, but felt confined. Does layering have to be uncomfortable?

The layers have to be sized appropriately or you end up feeling like a sausage. Layers close to the skin should be just that: very close to the skin. Merino wool base layers are wonderful and should be very form fitting. The good quality brands can also be worn as a shirt.

The following layers need to be big enough for you to move around in. The other thing to be wary of is that all of your layers should be fairly thin. Thick layers will also cause that sausage casing feeling.

The layering I do for winter walking includes: a layer of merino wool leggings and long sleeve t-shirts. My next layer can be a very thin long sleeve t-shirt depending on how cold it is. Then I put on a nylon fleece or polar fleece pullover top. On top of that, I wear a down sweater and I top the rest off with a soft shell jacket. On the bottom, I may put a pair of work out pants if it is really cold and last, a pair of windproof winter pants.

You won't need all of those layers but at least it gives you an idea on how to do it. I highly recommend the merino wool layer and the down sweater. They both roll down to next to nothing but will keep you very warm. My down sweater is from Eddie Bauer.

I know what you mean. This is what I did for Alaska and it worked well. I used everything in different combinations because what may be not that cold to someone from up north it may be very cold to someone from the south. It doesn't need to be very cold before I am uncomfortable. I had a set of silk undies. I never felt over warm with them on under my clothes. Next a long sleeve shirt. I had a 3 in 1 jacket so I could wear it as a rain coat, a warm jacket or both as needed and it didn't feel bulky. I could layer a heavy hoodie under it too for the one really cold day we had. Then I had gloves and a scarf. I also had and used a pair of rain pants plus I had waterproofed my shoes. This was very handy the day it rained all day, I stayed warm and dry walking around all day long.

We did Alaska in early September and my go-to outfit was a long-sleeved oxford, loose hip-length cotton cardigan, and lightly-lined, water repellant hooded jacket. I took a long wool scarf, mittens, and a head wrap but only wore the head wrap to cover my ears on the glacier tour. I did use a silk scarf on occasion around my neck. I never wore the heavier waterproof jacket, the rain pants, or the long-sleeved silk undershirt I packed.

Think about what makes you coldest…is it cold hands or feet or neck or ears? I found that a large folded, square silk scarf works wonders around the neck and tucked into the shirt. Can also be used on the head a la Queen Elizabeth II.

We don't use long johns but REI rain pants. Ketchikan and Juneau can be very rainy. On one trip it was so wet that my movie camera shorted out. 3-in-1 packets are useful, as long as they aren't too tight. It can get surprisingly cold in Glacier Bay. Don't forget gloves and something for your ears and (strangely enough) one pair of shorts. On every trip to AK, we have worn shorts 1 or 2 times. Rain pants come in handy if the mosquitoes get bad.

Yes, the coast of Alaska is more rain forest than artic tundra - your temps are not likely to be all that cold, in reality. I think waterproof/goretex is more important than too many layers.

I've been to Juneau in March, and AK cruises in September and June. Our Sept cruise was probably the warmest - it was 70 in Ketchikan! (on the other hand, it was 33 and sleeting in Skagway, which is why layers are so important!:p)

I have all sorts of layers and pack according to what I think the coldest and warmest temps are likely to be. Silk or merino long underwear, merino, cuddl duds (I have some that look like tshirts and can be worn alone) or Uniqlo heattech t-shirts. Smartwool socks, goretex shoes. Goretex rain shell, fleece jacket. Fleece gloves, fleece hat and/or headband. For cold weather (like the Christmas markets river cruise I just did in Germany) I'd bring a cashmere sweater, but for Alaska, for me fleece and maybe a cotton or merino sweater would be all I'd need on top of an underlayer and under the goretex coat...

(I have goretex rain pants from LLBean I brought but the only time I wore them is when I was doing laundry at my brother's house outside Fairbanks, before we got on the cruise ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

You have all been so helpful and I cannot thank you enough! Danni3113, I really appreciate that you understood the "stuffed sausage" feeling I have and your advice has been noted. In fact I ordered a merino wool Henley from LLBean this morning! I had never heard of a "down sweater" but looked that up also, and will be watching for sales. Keksie, I just purchased a pair of waterproof rain pants yesterday on sale at Academy sports and am glad to hear that yours were useful. I am taking notes from all of the advice here and just feel very grateful for Cruise Critic members.

Cheap fleece is not the best for layering anymore. It is usually the old-fashioned thick stuff, very prone to static. In the outdoor clothing world, there are now various fleece products, but not cheap (unless you find on sale). The down and down-alternative products are pretty varied now in terms of fill and thickness. I have several down sweaters (from Patagonia and MEC - a Canadian version of REI) that have taken the place of most of my fleece. Now, I live in a cold weather climate, so I have constant use for these pieces. My Patagonia Down Sweater is my outer layer 90% of the time in the winter, paired with a regular lightweight sweater underneath.

My base layer when I go skiing is some really cool tops and bottoms from YMX by Yellowman. They are patterned based on some classic vintage tattoos. Yes, the tops are skin-tight, but you can wear them standalone and they don't look like you are wearing your "long johns" on the outside! I do wear the tops alone when I go out once in awhile.

I brought a water proof jacket in Ak. at one of the ports. It had a zipper and a hood. At the time it was $20. they were selling them ever where. I still wear it and wish I had brought two of them. I wore my shirt with this a my second layer. We went in June and it did get warm.

I also hate the stuffed sausage feeling. What helps me is a sleeveless vest as one of the layering pieces to keep my core warm. Mine is from New Zealand made of their lightweight and very warm opossum wool. I add a scarf. My collection goes from silk to alpaca and everything else in between. I use the scarf also as head cover if necessary. My top layer is a long hooded rain jacket with pockets in which I stuff fine wool gloves just in case.

I am also from Florida and I am going to Alaska in May:D. It will be

my 4th time, although the last cruise there was back in 2009 so it

has been quite a few years. I am soooooo looking forward to it

again:). I was looking at some of my photos from my previous cruises

and looking at more photos from some folks who posted some new

pictures and everything is breathtaking. I remember why I loved it

so much:D

As for packing, feeling like a sausage is not good:eek:. I think part of what

you need to consider is your normal temperature. Are you normally

hot? Or more on the chilly side. I wil bring long sleeved cotton

tops (pullovers).....they breathe. I have the best jacket that I bought

when I was in San Fransisco in 2011....I love it! The outside is like

rainwear and the inside is fleece......very warm and not "too bulky".

I do pack alot of socks for Alaska.......but I like socks;).....

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!:D

Oh...I should have noticed you said you are cold natured......I missed

that.....but wearing fleece leggings under your jeans? That just sounds

uncomfortable to me:eek:....wear socks....In my opinion, when your feet

are warmer, it will help keep the rest of you warmer too.:) I don't

own any leggings so they don't go with me.

I also bring a couple of different cardigan style sweaters and pullovers.

Not necessarily "heavy and bulky" but they do the job for me:)

I find merino wool "footies" (I have 2 pairs of SmartWool) work great as a first foot layer. Tights or socks can go right over them, and they really help keep my toes warm. For May in Alaska, I'd suggest the thinner weight ones.

2 more plus's to merino wool footies: 1) since I get chilly on planes, I wear the footies on the plane, so they don't even take extra room to pack. 2) wearing the merino wool right next to my skin on my feet means my "regular" socks/tights don't get nearly as...aromatic :)

For me, it's my feet, hands & ears - if those get cold, I'm (cold) toast. Hands, simple pair of gloves do the trick. Ears, a scarf works great, or if I'm going to be out for longer periods at less than 40f, earmuffs (love the 180s brand and how they grip gently from behind my head). For Alaska in May, I'd think a silk scarf would be plenty and the earmuffs likely overkill.

Have a great trip!

Edited by babysteps

First some background -

I was born and raised and have lived most of my adult life in the pacific northwest. I've done a lot of boating in British Columbia and SE Alaska. Keeping warm (and dry) is a challenge because the cold and damp air makes you feel colder than the actual air temperature.

1. Close the air gaps. That means wearing a scarf in a manner that actually seals your neck from the cold air. I also wear a lightweight athletic style 1/4 zip neck top that I can zip all the way under the scarf if the wind is very cold. Try to have a jacket that has adjustable cuffs or closes at the wrist. Cold air blowing up your sleeve is not fun. Wear wool socks that are crew length - Smartwool socks are a good choice; choose a light cushion or no cushion so they will fit into your regular shoes.

2. Wear a hat - a warm cozy hat. A basic rule of warmth is that once your head is warm, the body will not feel so cold.

3. There are many types of fleece - inexpensive bulky loose knit fleece, more expensive lightweight quality name brand fleece, name brand windproof fleece, and so on. Most of the name brand fleeces tout a trademarked fabric type. You can spend a lot of time researching fleeces.

4. There are many types of raingear. For many years the top of the line was Goretex. There are now other trademarked fabrics that work as well. The less expensive coated fabrics will work, but they do not breathe and are uncomfortable at best. My personal opinion is that I would rather be wet than be trapped under a coated nylon rain jacket.

5. Hoods. Folks in rain country use hoods, not umbrellas, when they are outdoors in the rain. If it is cold and rainy you can always wear your warm hat under the hood. If you wear glasses, consider a ball cap under the hood to shield your glasses from the rain.

6. Rain pants. I usually don't use them, but I have them! If your rain jacket is long enough so that when you sit down on a wet bench your bum doesn't get wet, then you probably don't need rain pants unless you are doing an outdoor boating activity in the rain.

7. Fabrics. Cotton is heavy and won't keep you warm if it gets wet. It also isn't very good for keeping out the wind. You will get colder. There are synthetic fabrics that are designed to keep you warm even if they get wet. Of course the old standby is wool - always warm, even when wet. (Think sheep in the rain!)

8. Silk - is warm and very lightweight. If you don't want to buy a warm scarf, try a silk scarf, even from the thrift store. Silk underwear is perfect for feeling nonbinding, keeping warm, and can be washed out in a sink. A silk camisole will keep your core warm. In my lightweight travel tops I include a silk long sleeve crew neck sweater as a travel basic.

9. Keep your core warm. Your core is the trunk of your body. An extra layer will make a big difference in warmth. My favorite for cruising and land-based travel is a featherweight down, thinsulate, or primaloft vest. I currently travel with LL Bean's primaloft packaway vest.

10. Sources for outdoor clothing - discount: Sierra Trading Post (sierratradingpost.com) both stores and website, excellent prices,, selection and name brands; TJ Maxx retail stores (late summer or fall for cool weather outdoor clothing). Retail priced stores: REI, outlet stores Columbia and The North Face.

If you've read all the way to the end of this post - you are probably bored and/or have your own opinions regarding the above info. I'm just a cold, wet weather person who enjoys traveling and being outdoors. By the way - even though I'm a "pacific northwesterner" I still need to keep warm and dry.

PNW Traveler - I read your entire post and was in no way bored by it. I am very interested in all the advice and perspectives that have been presented here by each poster. I appreciate each and every response to this thread. Thank You.

• 4 months later...

Tights under jeans! :) I lived very briefly in Fairbanks, AK during the dead of winter. It was pretty routinely -30 degrees and tights under my jeans kept my legs warm when I knew I would be outside for long periods of time. Plus they are low bulk. If they worked for me in bone-chilling cold, they should keep you warm on an Alaska cruise.

That said, this is a shot of the deck during our Alaska cruise two weeks ago on the day we were cruising through Prince William Sound just before hitting College Fjord. Notice the tank tops! :)

uA3VaOLUapv6SA79kSv_bKzvRRCII6HyuzJ5bSPKZmUsSxTTJ?viewBox=1366

I've lived in South Florida the majority of my life so I wasn't really sure how to layer for our cruise to Alaska. We just returned from our cruise 2 weeks ago and this is what worked for me:

Silk underwear - Cuddl Duds. I wore the top and bottom every day under whatever I wore. (I took various silk sets because I didn't want to worry about washing).

Columbia jacket - waterproof jacket with hood and removable inside fleece jacket. I wore it every day. Sometimes with the fleece, other times alone.

Took rain pants and we were very lucky; it never rained. I still would recommend

taking a pair just in case.

On the ship during the evening I did not wear the silk underwear nor anything heavy as the temperature inside was wonderful.

Enjoy your cruise! Alaska was magnificent, now I know why many want to return- add me to the list!

I sailed to Alaska month:D...Mother Nature was smiling down upon us

for the entire week:).........I know I posted earlier in this thread......

Have to post about the weather during my cruise.....it was in the 50s

and 60s every day:)....AND we had SUN every day!!....I know when

we were in Ketchikan it did drizzle in the early afternoon but that was

about it for the rain. Like I said, Mother Nature was just awesome!;)

We had one of the best weeks ever!!! I was going to bring a fleece

jacket and decided to leave it home and guess what? I never even

missed it.:)....I did wear long sleeves (usually with a cotton tank underneath) and jeans during the day with "Keds" and socks......

I had a "sweater jacket".....it is knit arms and back and quilted in the

front.....that was pretty much my outerwear......didn't bring gloves

or a hat and didn't miss them either.

Got very lucky with fabulous weather!:D

I sailed to Alaska month:D...Mother Nature was smiling down upon us

for the entire week:).........I know I posted earlier in this thread......

Have to post about the weather during my cruise.....it was in the 50s

and 60s every day:)....AND we had SUN every day!!....I know when

we were in Ketchikan it did drizzle in the early afternoon but that was

about it for the rain. Like I said, Mother Nature was just awesome!

We had one of the best weeks ever!!! I was going to bring a fleece

jacket and decided to leave it home and guess what? I never even

missed it.....I did wear long sleeves (usually with a cotton tank underneath) and jeans during the day with "Keds" and socks......

I had a "sweater jacket".....it is knit arms and back and quilted in the

front.....that was pretty much my outerwear......didn't bring gloves

or a hat and didn't miss them either.

Got very lucky with fabulous weather!

Oh my gosh, Lois - if I was in Alaska when it was in the 60's, I'd be in a t-shirt and shorts, lol! :D Glad you had a nice time! How as the weather in Seattle?

Oh my gosh, Lois - if I was in Alaska when it was in the 60's, I'd be in a t-shirt and shorts, lol! :D Glad you had a nice time! How as the weather in Seattle?

Oh...Seattle was awesome too:D...sunny and high 60s, low 70's:D