Missed ship SXM, no passport, HYPOTHETICAL?

TravelerThom

In case nobody has addressed the OP's question.

When the ship knows you cannot return - accident, illness, arrest - one of the security officers on the ship will go to your cabin and open your safe to get the passport. It will then be handed over to the rep on shore.

The printed currents/daily on ship will have the name, address and phone number of the cruise rep. I always stick that paper in my bag when I go ashore.

I don't know what the ship will do if they don't know that you will be late. You could be hanging out somewhere and show up at the last minute.

In case nobody has addressed the OP's question.

When the ship knows you cannot return - accident, illness, arrest - one of the security officers on the ship will go to your cabin and open your safe to get the passport. It will then be handed over to the rep on shore.

The printed currents/daily on ship will have the name, address and phone number of the cruise rep. I always stick that paper in my bag when I go ashore.

I don't know what the ship will do if they don't know that you will be late. You could be hanging out somewhere and show up at the last minute.

That is what I wrote in this thread that HAL does.

Should a guest return in time for them to permit them to go up the gangway, easy. The Port Agent hands over the guests passport. :cool: ;) The idea is to get the passport to the guest. If the guest is standing there, Port Agent hands it over. Port Agent does not leave until the ship leaves.

Just one reason why I have both a card and a real passport. I recognize that the card has limitations (no need to tell me it's not a complete substitute for a passport) but it's a comfort to leave the passport in the safe on the ship and still have the card in my wallet off the ship. Figure if I do get left, I will at least have something issued by the State Department confirming my citizenship.

I wouldn't tell you that it's not a complete substitute, for many it fits their travel needs perfectly. I am fortunate to live in a state that issues Enhanced Drivers Licenses so that is what I carry. I did debate about getting the passport card, but since I always carry my license it made more sense to go that way.

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S., the U.S. government does not require you to have a passport for any travel, including air, land or sea travel, however, you are even more likely to be required by your destination country to have one. A Caribbean island that does not require a U.S. Citizen to have a passport may require a U.S. LPR to have one, and a visa as well.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/1139/session/L2F2LzIvdGltZS8xNDIxNTMzMTY0L3NpZC92dzdZd0ljbQ%3D%3D

Edited by Cuizer2

Replacing Your Passport Abroad The first thing to do if your passport is lost or stolen abroad is to contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. They should provide the first level of assistance. Ask to speak with the American Citizens Services unit of the Consular Section. If you were planning on leaving the country soon, make sure to mention your intended departure date to the representative. They should be able to assist you, and even provide information on where to get new passport photos.

Another helpful tip is to travel with a paper copy of the information page on your passport. That way, if the passport is lost or stolen, you'll be able to provide all the needed information to the U.S. embassy.

http://businesstravel.about.com/od/internationaltravel/a/Passports-Lost-Stolen.htm?utm_term=i%20have%20lost%20my%20passport&utm_content=p1-main-1-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=adid-1eed93de-badc-4ffe-a64f-ae9b93e5f606-0-ab_msb_ocode-5994&ad=semD&an=msn_s&am=broad&q=i%20have%20lost%20my%20passport&dqi=&o=5994&l=sem&qsrc=999&askid=1eed93de-badc-4ffe-a64f-ae9b93e5f606-0-ab_msb

We did it all the time when I lived in San Diego. Night of partying down in TJ and then back across the border in the wee hours.

Granted this was pre-911 but at the time the only 3 questions you were asked were:

1. Where were you born?

2. Are you a U.S. Citizen?

3. Did you buy anything while you were in Mexico?

I'm sure rules have changes but I am pretty sure you can still walk across with just your driver's license. ... :)

NOPE!! The rules changed a year or so ago. You must now have either a passport or passport card to get back into US from Mexico. You can't even use a BC with a drivers license.

We live near the border, often cross into Mexico for lunch or dental work or antibiotics. If we were to forget our passports we'd be at the border crossing checkpoint while someone in our party went to get our passport. Otherwise there'd be a lot of red tape that could take hours and hours.

HAL is the name of the computer in 2001 A Space Odyssey. :)

Just what do you think you're doing Dave? This is highly unusual......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by A2Mich

• 2 weeks later...
What a ridiculous and short-sighted statement. Do you honestly believe that St. Martin has no medical facilities?
Of course St. M has medical facilities; however, the ship has facilities as well -- and once you're back on the ship, you won't have to concern yourself with the timetable. Thus, it makes sense to return to the ship to seek minor medical treatment.

Note, too, that while St. Martin has modern medical facilities, and you wouldn't be afraid to use them, the same cannot be said for every island. For example, I'd rather take my chances with my own cabin first-aid kit rather than try my luck at a hospital in Hati.

To say that if you make it back early "you'll never face this question" is ridiculous. As others on here have stated as well, things happen. See the thread mentioned above about the man that missed the ship because he feared leaving his son behind. And as I and others have pointed out, you could get injured.
Yes, typically when people "have things happen", they've been careless in some way -- they've failed to pay attention to time, or they've sat around drinking too long. If you're paying attention, your chances of being left behind are extremely slight. I'm thinking of Coach Chance, my driver's ed teacher from so long ago, who emphasized, "Don't call 'em accidents -- call 'em what they are: Wrecks. Accidents imply that they just happened, when the reality is that almost always someone screwed up."

Yes, I read the recent story about the guy who feared leaving his son behind -- it was a cautionary tale. However, while he seems to be a reasonable fellow, he did make one big mistake: He didn't tell his teenaged son the plans for returning to the ship on time, though they split up on the island. That was his downfall, the catch in his otherwise reasonable plans.

Did you miss the last word of the title of this thread?

Missed ship SXM, no passport, HYPOTHETICAL?

I've highlighted for you so that it is easier to notice.

Of course it's a hypothetical discussion. Did you think the word "you" meant you personally?

Incidentally, I gave the answer earlier: If you were left behind without a passport, the local authorities would help you -- and what help you could receive would be based upon your personal circumstances: How much you could pay, whether the island upon which you're left was an American territory or not, what type of transportation was available. One person's circumstances would not necessarily be identical to another's. A complete hypothetical discussion isn't really possible.

Why Mrs. Pete, I personally make every effort to get back early, which is why I said "I am always back within sight of the ship 2 hours before sailing". However, according to http://www.smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-martin-news/17584-port-st-maarten-hits-historical-two-millionth-cruise-passenger-mark-on-new-year-s-eve.html Sint Maaten "at the end of 2014 received for the entire year approximately 2,000,864 cruise passengers." If you think not one of those over 2 Million passengers made it back late, I have a very nice bridge that I am selling at an exorbitant price - I don't happen to have the Title for the property with me at the moment, but trust me....
Who said that all those passengers are careful and conscious of time? Edited by MrsPete

Of course St. M has medical facilities; however, the ship has facilities as well -- and once you're back on the ship, you won't have to concern yourself with the timetable. Thus, it makes sense to return to the ship to seek minor medical treatment.

You were the one that said "Sick or injured people would be best served by heading back to the ship, where they can get medical treatment." This statement directly implies that if they don't head back to the ship, they can't get medical treatment. If you meant otherwise, then perhaps you should have worded it otherwise.

And I see that you are now saying "it makes sense to return to the ship to seek minor medical treatment." Previously you did not qualify your statement with "minor". Backpedal much?

Note, too, that while St. Martin has modern medical facilities, and you wouldn't be afraid to use them, the same cannot be said for every island. For example, I'd rather take my chances with my own cabin first-aid kit rather than try my luck at a hospital in Hati.

Apparently you didn't read the title of the thread, which specifically mentioned SXM (St. Martin). They were not asking about Haiti or any other location.

Edited by time4u2go

We are confused about the course of this thread. The OP asked a hypothetical about missing the ship in SXM (St Maarten) in which case they would either need or have to get a Passport before they can fly home. That is simple, not subject to much debate and is the law.

Now we have folks talking about Medical issues which are an entirely different matter. If you get seriously ill (or have an accident) on a cruise ship it is entirely up to the discretion of the ship's physician as to whether you can remain on the ship or will be "put off" at the next port for shoreside medical care. This is about the only situation where a crew member, other then the Captain, calls the shots. If the physician does not think (or want) to treat your condition onboard, you will be taken off the ship. At that point you can be treated wherever you are or can be evacuated to somewhere with better medical care. Normally, the cruiser is responsible for all the medical costs and possible medical evacuation. If you get ill and are put off the ship in St Maarten you can get competent medical care...but may still want to be evacuated to another place (such as Miami)...which is a very expensive proposition.

We do not understand why some folks want to make up all these situations since, if it is a medical emergency the decision rests with the cruise ship's physician. If it is a minor medical problem or something the ship's physician thinks they can handle onboard then they will probably allow you to remain aboard. But this is not about a passenger making the decisions...it is about the ship's physician.

Hank

We are confused about the course of this thread. The OP asked a hypothetical about missing the ship in SXM (St Maarten) in which case they would either need or have to get a Passport before they can fly home. That is simple, not subject to much debate and is the law.

Now we have folks talking about Medical issues which are an entirely different matter. If you get seriously ill (or have an accident) on a cruise ship it is entirely up to the discretion of the ship's physician as to whether you can remain on the ship or will be "put off" at the next port for shoreside medical care. This is about the only situation where a crew member, other then the Captain, calls the shots. If the physician does not think (or want) to treat your condition onboard, you will be taken off the ship. At that point you can be treated wherever you are or can be evacuated to somewhere with better medical care. Normally, the cruiser is responsible for all the medical costs and possible medical evacuation. If you get ill and are put off the ship in St Maarten you can get competent medical care...but may still want to be evacuated to another place (such as Miami)...which is a very expensive proposition.

We do not understand why some folks want to make up all these situations since, if it is a medical emergency the decision rests with the cruise ship's physician. If it is a minor medical problem or something the ship's physician thinks they can handle onboard then they will probably allow you to remain aboard. But this is not about a passenger making the decisions...it is about the ship's physician.

Hank

A lot of what people are talking about in this thread is not someone getting sick or hurt while on the ship, but someone getting sick or hurt while at a port, off the ship. In that case, it most definitely IS about the passenger making the decisions.

I don't recall anyone in this thread referring to getting sick or hurt while on the ship. Did you see otherwise? If so, can you indicate which post(s)?

Edited by time4u2go

Yes, typically when people "have things happen", they've been careless in some way -- they've failed to pay attention to time, or they've sat around drinking too long. If you're paying attention, your chances of being left behind are extremely slight. I'm thinking of Coach Chance, my driver's ed teacher from so long ago, who emphasized, "Don't call 'em accidents -- call 'em what they are: Wrecks. Accidents imply that they just happened, when the reality is that almost always someone screwed up."

Just because someone screwed up and crashed his car, surely doesn't mean that everyone else held up in the traffic jam was careless? It's a common side effect of crashes on the roads that other people following behind on the same road get held up. You can't really blame them for that, can you?

Just because someone screwed up and crashed his car, surely doesn't mean that everyone else held up in the traffic jam was careless? It's a common side effect of crashes on the roads that other people following behind on the same road get held up. You can't really blame them for that, can you?

MrsPete apparently lives in a world where nothing unexpected ever happens to her. It must be nice to be her.

And I see that you are now saying "it makes sense to return to the ship to seek minor medical treatment." Previously you did not qualify your statement with "minor". Backpedal much?

Apparently you didn't read the title of the thread, which specifically mentioned SXM (St. Martin). They were not asking about Haiti or any other location.

"Would be best served by . . ." is the same as "your best option is . . . ". No backpedaling necessary. I'm rather confused as to why you'd fail to grasp the meaning.

Aren't we discussing hypothetical -- excuse me HYPOTHETICAL -- situations, which would include a multitude of islands?

If you've waited 'til the last minute and a traffic accident holds you up, that's careless. If you've started your return trip to the ship with plenty of time to spare, someone else's accident may delay you, but it won't be a make-or-break incident.
MrsPete apparently lives in a world where nothing unexpected ever happens to her. It must be nice to be her.
It is pretty nice to be me. I live in the real world, in which reasonable planning results in positive results.

I adhere to Mark Twain's tounge-in-cheek quip: I'm a great believer in luck, and the harder I work, the more I have of it.

By planning, your luck improves significantly.

Edited by MrsPete

"Would be best served by . . ." is the same as "your best option is . . . ". No backpedaling necessary. I'm rather confused as to why you'd fail to grasp the meaning.

Aren't we discussing hypothetical -- excuse me HYPOTHETICAL -- situations, which would include a multitude of islands? If you've waited 'til the last minute and a traffic accident holds you up, that's careless. If you've started your return trip to the ship with plenty of time to spare, someone else's accident may delay you, but it won't be a make-or-break incident.

It is pretty nice to be me. I live in the real world, in which reasonable planning results in positive results.

I adhere to Mark Twain's tounge-in-cheek quip: I'm a great believer in luck, and the harder I work, the more I have of it.

By planning, your luck improves significantly.

Whether you think so or not, the statement "Sick or injured people would be best served by heading back to the ship, where they can get medical treatment." implies that not heading back to the ship means they can't get medical treatment. Not sure why that implication is so hard for you to understand. You didn't say "where they can get better medical treatment." You said "where they can get medical treatment." An all or nothing proposition.

And we are discussing SXM, not other locations. For whatever reason, you seem incapable of reading/comprehending the title of this thread. And I'm not the only one to point that out to you.

And I still like how you added "minor" to your statement, then deny backpedaling. Or are you denying adding "minor"? :rolleyes::D

Edited by time4u2go

Good one!!!!

Supposedly, when the lines were so long at AZ DMV when they opened for "illegal licenses" a few weeks ago, there were guys not far away selling very, very credible licenses. And since the illegals can't be stopped now just for being illegal, the chances of them getting caught are minimal unless they commit a traffic violation. But they are good for bank accounts, mortgages, credit cards, and IN STATE tuition.

Someone showed up with an ABSOLUTELY PERFECT CDL to apply for a job about 4 months ago. If we hadn't run the social through E-Verify, it looked EXACTLY like mine, down to the hologram (or whatever that lettering is you can only see if you turn it sideways).

Great article about how jammed up the lines are in CA with all the illegals getting DL

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/01/29/only-on-9-some-dmv-customers-waiting-months-for-appointments/

I have 4 drivers with CA CDL's that expire before the end of April. They have TRIED to get an appt to renew their licenses. SORRY And without a renewed CDL, their insurance is canceled on the company policy.

So our next step is to find those ABSOLUTELY PERFECT CDL's that can be bought on the street corner in LA or Phoenix for less than 1/3 of a week's salary for my drivers. Guess we will use those until my guys can actually get a REAL CA CDL.

Is this cheating??? You betcha. But for guys that are in their late 30-40's, what else would you do if you were in their shoes? They all have families to support. I have trucks that need drivers.

So because of this crazy illegal driver's license business, either my drivers are out of work or I am out of drivers and my trucks sit. Freight doesn't get delivered (we only haul refrigerated food), so the price of bacon, yogurt, chocolate, cheese, etc. etc. goes up because there are not enough drivers to deliver the freight. Take a real hard look at this "dreamer" BS and tell me how much the AMERICAN public benefits.

I'm off my soapbox but this whole thing with giving illegals a DL, including CDL's, is sucking the life (and your money) out of this country. We now have NO IDEA who is in this country!!!

Want to see how far this illegal CDL thing has gone:

Title: Owners of a Brooklyn CDL Driving School Plead Guilty in Fraudulent CDL Test-Taking Scheme

Start Date: 1/20/2015

On January 8, 2015, spouses Ying Wai Phillip Ng and Pui Kuen Ng, owner/operators of a commercial driving school, N&Y Professional Service Line in Brooklyn, New York, pleaded guilty to fraud in connection with identification documents. From approximately 2001 to 2012, the Ngs assisted customers in taking the written New York State (NYS) commercial driver’s license (CDL) examination by providing the answers to test takers. The NYS Department of Motor Vehicles issues CDLs in accordance with USDOT regulations. Many of the driving school’s customers did not speak or write in English. The school routinely provided certain customers with covert camera equipment prior to taking the CDL exam, which was viewed remotely. This enabled the defendants to provide the test answers to the customers through a pre-arranged pager mechanism. It is estimated that as many as 500 CDL applicants passed the exam as a result of this scheme.

As part of their guilty pleas, the Ngs agreed to be jointly and severally liable for a forfeiture money judgment in the amount of $125,000 in cash, forfeited assets of $50,645 in seized bank funds, and a 2004 Toyota Sienna used in the commission of the crime.

We are conducting this investigation with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security - El Dorado Task Force

Edited by greatam

Great article about how jammed up the lines are in CA with all the illegals getting DL

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/01/29/only-on-9-some-dmv-customers-waiting-months-for-appointments/

I have 4 drivers with CA CDL's that expire before the end of April. They have TRIED to get an appt to renew their licenses. SORRY And without a renewed CDL, their insurance is canceled on the company policy.

So our next step is to find those ABSOLUTELY PERFECT CDL's that can be bought on the street corner in LA or Phoenix for less than 1/3 of a week's salary for my drivers. Guess we will use those until my guys can actually get a REAL CA CDL.

Is this cheating??? You betcha. But for guys that are in their late 30-40's, what else would you do if you were in their shoes? They all have families to support. I have trucks that need drivers.

I sure hope you're joking. You might think those CDLs look "perfect" but having one is exactly the same as driving without a license at all. Personally, I'd much rather be found to be driving without a license if I get pulled over, than have a fake one. Any law enforcement officer will be able to spot a fake from 20 feet away, and even if it looks perfect, as soon as it's run through the database, it will be discovered. A fake DL isn't going to get you insurance either - do you think the insurance company doesn't run the DL number to check for violations that might affect the rate? Would you rather your drivers get a ticket, or get arrested? Suck it up, and have the drivers go wait in line at a DMV on company time.

I sure hope you're joking. You might think those CDLs look "perfect" but having one is exactly the same as driving without a license at all. Personally, I'd much rather be found to be driving without a license if I get pulled over, than have a fake one. Any law enforcement officer will be able to spot a fake from 20 feet away, and even if it looks perfect, as soon as it's run through the database, it will be discovered. A fake DL isn't going to get you insurance either - do you think the insurance company doesn't run the DL number to check for violations that might affect the rate? Would you rather your drivers get a ticket, or get arrested? Suck it up, and have the drivers go wait in line at a DMV on company time.

From someone who has NO IDEA what a hassle having a CDL has become. Been doing this well over 35 years and the NEW fake licenses are so real, very few would doubt them unless they run them through E-verify. SAME license number, just a bogus renewal. And with the CDL/CSA database NOT kept up with any sort of precision (depends on the state how up to date the database is), the chances of getting caught are not high until they get REAL licenses IF and WHEN they can get past all the illegals in line to get licenses. Insurance was renewed in November. Most likely, there will not be another check until renewal time NEXT November. By then, HOPEFULLY, the lines will have thinned out so my LEGAL drivers can get their licenses renewed.

If 500 ILLEGAL Chinese that can't even read or write English can get CDL's, are you saying my born and raised in the USA drivers are not entitled to get a CDL renewal in some kind of rapid fashion???? Sure sounds like it. They are now behind all the illegals to get a license renewal or they have to take their license to another state other than CA or AZ that has the HUGE backlog of illegals getting licenses. 2 of my drivers are getting licenses in other states. The other two??? They haven't decided.

Wait in line on company time???? 2+ months to get an appt to renew a CDL in CA???? Their licenses will be expired and they will be out of a job. What company can afford to pay employees for 2+ months waiting for just an appt to stand in line all day???

Maybe you are in that 1% that is so vilified in this country all the time. Then I understand you fine, upstanding attitude. My little company and my drivers sure are not. They have their choice-drive without a license, let the truck get impounded where they don't even have a place to sleep or take their chances. I know what most of them are going to do if they don't get out of state licenses.

We again find ourselves smiling at this thread. The OP asked a good question about being stranded on St Maarten. But now, we have dueling posters talking about Canadian Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDLs). So pray tell! What do Canadian CDLs have to do with getting stranded on St Maarten, cruising, or anything else that relates to Cruise Critic?

Hank

From someone who has NO IDEA what a hassle having a CDL has become. Been doing this well over 35 years and the NEW fake licenses are so real, very few would doubt them unless they run them through E-verify. SAME license number, just a bogus renewal. And with the CDL/CSA database NOT kept up with any sort of precision (depends on the state how up to date the database is), the chances of getting caught are not high until they get REAL licenses IF and WHEN they can get past all the illegals in line to get licenses. Insurance was renewed in November. Most likely, there will not be another check until renewal time NEXT November. By then, HOPEFULLY, the lines will have thinned out so my LEGAL drivers can get their licenses renewed.

If 500 ILLEGAL Chinese that can't even read or write English can get CDL's, are you saying my born and raised in the USA drivers are not entitled to get a CDL renewal in some kind of rapid fashion???? Sure sounds like it. They are now behind all the illegals to get a license renewal or they have to take their license to another state other than CA or AZ that has the HUGE backlog of illegals getting licenses. 2 of my drivers are getting licenses in other states. The other two??? They haven't decided.

Wait in line on company time???? 2+ months to get an appt to renew a CDL in CA???? Their licenses will be expired and they will be out of a job. What company can afford to pay employees for 2+ months waiting for just an appt to stand in line all day???

Maybe you are in that 1% that is so vilified in this country all the time. Then I understand you fine, upstanding attitude. My little company and my drivers sure are not. They have their choice-drive without a license, let the truck get impounded where they don't even have a place to sleep or take their chances. I know what most of them are going to do if they don't get out of state licenses.

So you and your drivers are violating the law to avoid a long wait in line. If it were me as the employer yes, I would pay for them to stand in line rather than violate the law. If it were me as the employee I would wait in line until the cows came home if it meant getting the legal document that I needed to do my job.

So you and your drivers are violating the law to avoid a long wait in line. If it were me as the employer yes, I would pay for them to stand in line rather than violate the law. If it were me as the employee I would wait in line until the cows came home if it meant getting the legal document that I needed to do my job.

Please understand. It is not a matter of STANDING IN LINE. You have to have an APPOINTMENT now in CA to get or renew your license. And with the amount of illegals that are now allowed to get DL , CA is well understaffed at DMV and appointments are being given 2-4 months in advance. It has been estimated that an additional 3 million people in CA alone are trying to get new licenses.

Arizona has estimated an additional 750,000 people are trying to get new licenses. All those people have to take a written, driving, eye test and get their picture taken. There is just not enough staff to handle the traffic. Hence, the appointment situation in CA. Arizona has not yet instituted that procedure and has a separate office to handle CDL's which so far is not jammed up. We will most likely have 4 new tenants in the office if my guys can't get an appointment in CA.

No, my drivers don't want to violate the law and I don't want them to violate the law and neither does the California CHP who has been advocating heavily to DMV for CDL drivers to allow them to STAND IN LINE. But that is NOT the situation. They MUST have an appointment to even be allowed to STAND IN LINE.

With the 2-4 month wait to get an appointment, 4 of them with CA CDL's will have expired DL in April. So they either become unemployed, drive with an expired license, get a license in another state (which is what most will probably do but there are consequences for that action also) or get a fake until they can actually confirm an appointment.

And to bring this right back to the original question about being left in SXM without a passport, not only would these guys maybe not have a passport, they might not even have a VALID DL if they boarded the ship before their license expired but it expired while they were at sea. If they got left in SXM, they now have no valid DL to even procure a passport.