Former Sitmar Cruiser

Kansas Gal

I recently found a whole folder from the Fairsea (including menus, daily activity sheets and a passenger list - remember when they did that? :D , stationery and postcards).

Lots of great memories!

(Also found 2 folders from Home Lines with the same stuff!)

Edited by chamima

The Fairsky (Captain Rudolpho Potenzoni and Staff Captain Giuseppe Romano who is currently captain of the Ruby Princess!). I was on board when the announcement was made that Princess had bought Sitmar...what a sad day that was....Since I cruised at least twice a year since I was in my early 20's I have many memories on both Sitmar and Princess (but Sitmar will always hold a special place in my heart...)

It may be of interest to note that Sitmar Fairsky (1958 - 1977) was originally constructed pre-war and went through WW2 as an Aircraft Carrier called USS Barnes then later a British Aircraft Carrier HMS Attacker. It was later converted to a cruise ship for the Sitmar Line.

Regards John

I sailed on the Fairsea and Fairsky in the 1960's with my parents as we lived in Australia/New Zealand & South Africa from 1961 - 1969 and cruised for our holidays, sailed home from Australia to the UK on Canberra. I produced some pictures from crossing the International Dateline, my Mum winning the most beautiful Mother completion - ha ha the politically correct brigade would hyperventilate now if a cruise line ran that :eek: My Mum bless her is a magpie and keeps everything. Princess were great I went straight to gold on my first cruise with them whilst onboard as they could check the Canberra log, then our second cruise I was platinum at check in after they had confirmed my evidence.

Sitmar was real cruising wasn't it, children meals at 17:30 :) my Mother in her cocktail dresses every night

Edited by cantwaitfornextcruise

• 5 months later...

Astro Flyer -

We really loved Sitmar, and it seems like everyone else did too. People were more ladies and gentlemen then both in dress and manners, and the closest we are going to get to that these days is to frequent luxury cruise lines. Silversea is really the closest of any of the lines to Sitmar, but we know we can't replicate that time and aren't trying to do that. We just enjoy a laid-back atmosphere and a smaller ship. Less is more sometimes.

If you kept anything that showed you sailed on those Sitmar cruises that probably would make the process easier. I have my old Circolo del Comandante logbook but it was done automatically for me having sailed Sitmar and Princess a few months apart.

This is the key to your expense. Even a photo will prove this. I used that when I had to prove my son (and daughter) had cruised starting at the age of 7 on Sitmar.

My husband and I took our first two cruises on Sitmar. When we took our first Princess cruise I called to get credit for Sitmar. No problem!! We needed no proof as they had our documentation--even our Circolo numbers.

We sailed on Sitmar at least twice a year with our young kids. Since 4 of us were in one cabin, it was fun knowing which cabins were a little bigger or laid out slightly better.

No balconies or picture windows in those days... but occasionally we had a cabin where the porthole opened. Remember the blow-dry rooms and how social they were. Will never forget the appetizer tray that came around before the entree. Still have 16 low ball glasses with Sitmar etched on one side and a ship on the other side.

When Sitmar was purchased by Princess I called and told them we had every boarding picture from every cruise we ever sailed with Sitmar and wanted to know where to send the copies. The agent said that wouldn't be necessary and gave us credit for all our cruises.

Edited by Sandy R

I took several cruises on the Sitmar line, which Princess bought out in the late '80's. Will Princess give me credit for the cruises I took with Sitmar?

They did in the past... we were too... have been with Princess for years.

Astro Flyer -

We really loved Sitmar, and it seems like everyone else did too. People were more ladies and gentlemen then both in dress and manners, and the closest we are going to get to that these days is to frequent luxury cruise lines. Silversea is really the closest of any of the lines to Sitmar, but we know we can't replicate that time and aren't trying to do that. We just enjoy a laid-back atmosphere and a smaller ship. Less is more sometimes.

Thanks...maybe one of these days we'll be able to try Silversea.

No, I am not a Sitmar cruiser, but way back in 1958, as a teenager, I sailed from Melbourne to Tilbury Docks, London, and return, on Orient Line ships Orion and Orsova - a total of 64 days. I thought why not(?), and recently applied to Princess for credit for these voyages, and were awarded them! Very happy!

For proof I supplied photocopied pages from my Trip Diary, which included Captain, Staff Captain and other autographs, plus entries written on departure and arrival dates, plus I listed the dates of all the port visits along the routes. I also sent a photo of a tea strainer won on board, showing the badge and name of the SS Orsova. Thank you, Princess.

Remember the blow-dry rooms and how social they were.

I DO remember. You know why? Because there was no extra plug in our cabin and we had one of the first portable Beta recorders. It was in two pieces and weighed about 20 pounds. We actually used a mini dolly to carry it on in town. It had to be plugged in to be charged each day BUT every time we did that someone came along and unplugged it. It wasn't that anyone was using the hair dryers because we were just a few doors down and checked often. Never anyone in there but the charger was always unplugged within minutes.

My very first cruise was 14 days out of San Francisco to Alaska r/t on the FairSea in July of 1973...I was all of 6 years old, and STILL remember that fabulous ship, and sailing under the GG Bridge! Right then and there I was hooked on cruising! We sailed the FairWind twice to the Caribbean in the late 70s, one of which was a 14 day Christmas cruise! They had Santa arrive on a life boat...we watched them hoist him up and he gave presents to all the kids! It was a wonderful time...and a great cruise line! Couldn't tell you what cabin #s we were in, but we were on the Monte Carlo deck all 3 times. My experiences certainly spoiled me and turned me into a cruise lover. I, too, still have 2 of the cocktail glasses that I bring out every now and then. BTW, my parents had the glasses (I was a child, remember...lol), and gave them to me several years ago. DH and I will once again be sailing under the great GG Bridge in January, on the Grand, to Hawaii. I can't wait!

And yes, thanks to my Sitmar cruises, I am platinum with Princess, working on Elite and having fun!

My very first cruise was 14 days out of San Francisco to Alaska r/t on the FairSea in July of 1973...I was all of 6 years old, and STILL remember that fabulous ship, and sailing under the GG Bridge! Right then and there I was hooked on cruising! We sailed the FairWind twice to the Caribbean in the late 70s, one of which was a 14 day Christmas cruise! They had Santa arrive on a life boat...we watched them hoist him up and he gave presents to all the kids! It was a wonderful time...and a great cruise line! Couldn't tell you what cabin #s we were in, but we were on the Monte Carlo deck all 3 times. My experiences certainly spoiled me and turned me into a cruise lover. I, too, still have 2 of the cocktail glasses that I bring out every now and then. BTW, my parents had the glasses (I was a child, remember...lol), and gave them to me several years ago. DH and I will once again be sailing under the great GG Bridge in January, on the Grand, to Hawaii. I can't wait!

And yes, thanks to my Sitmar cruises, I am platinum with Princess, working on Elite and having fun!

I blame my parents too!! ;)

SS America

SS United States

SS France

Oriana

Canberra

and on and on.......

I was a young kid (maybe elementary school-late 70's) and my parent's good friends who were retired co-workers with my dad work invited us to their Bon Voyage on Sitmar's Fairwind out of San Pedro, CA. These were the days when you could have guest come on board to see you off. It was a 14-day Panama Canal cruise from Los Angeles to San Juan, PR. It was an older ship, but nice. They were traveling with another couple. I remember I had free reign to wander the ship and boy did it look luxurious!! I still vividly remember seeing the dining room and all the fine china and glass ware. I remember our friends bringing their own liquor on boards to serve in their cabin and having the cabin steward bring extra ice. (of course I couldn't drink). I thought they must be very rich people. I so wanted to go on a cruise just like them and begged my parents to no avail. Later on when I could drive I drove down to see Sitmar's new Fairsky docked in the harbor. I remember the band played up on deck and the all streamers being thrown as the ship pulled out of port. It was like something like out of a movie. Finally for my high school graduation gift my mom took me on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Miami. It was heaven. That was 30+ cruises ago. :)

This is an interesting topic. One of my first childhood cruises was on Sitmar. It was a Panama Canal sailing for 14 days. I've been cruise obsessed ever since. I had no idea that we could get credit from such a long time ago. Time to pull out the pics!

This is an interesting topic. One of my first childhood cruises was on Sitmar. It was a Panama Canal sailing for 14 days. I've been cruise obsessed ever since. I had no idea that we could get credit from such a long time ago. Time to pull out the pics!

My Sitmar cruise on the Fairwind in summer 1988 was automatically credited.

We sailed the same ship 6 months later as the old Dawn Princess and the great sitdown pizzeria had already been removed. :(

If you have your Circolo del Commadante logbook that should be sufficient proof of a Sitmar cruise. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

My Sitmar cruise on the Fairwind in summer 1988 was automatically credited.

We sailed the same ship 6 months later as the old Dawn Princess and the great sitdown pizzeria had already been removed. :(

If you have your Circolo del Commadante logbook that should be sufficient proof of a Sitmar cruise. :)

Your picture with the captain at the Circolo del Commandante party should be proof of at least two cruises because you were invited to the party from cruise #2.

Thanks...maybe one of these days we'll be able to try Silversea.

Astro Flyer -

We would like to know why you were drawn to Princess (other than them buying Sitmar out)? What are your favorite Princess ships? As we said, we like a laid-back cruise (not to mean a lot of sea days though - just not too lively activities - read: quiet. We know - we're dull). We actually like to go for the ship rather than the itinerary, and we would value your opinion. Mahalo.

• 5 weeks later...
Does any one know if passed carnival cruises count towards captains circle?

DW and my first cruise together was on Carnival. Our second cruise was on the old Princess Regal. I remember asking one of the passenger service reps on the Regal if our Carnival cruise counted towards any credit on Princess. The CSR laughed and said something along the lines of "No credit on Princess for 'Party Barge' cruises!" :D

Thanks thought that may be the case, it's a bit stingy seeing they are all under the same parent company.

Not really. Sitmar and Princess were independent cruise lines that were bought out by P & O. P & O made the decision to give past cruise credit as the various lines were folded into each other.

At the time that Sitmar and Princess were doing business, they were targeting a far different market demographic than Carnival was (most travel agents at that time would not book Carnival cruises for their customers).

By the time Carnival bought the Princess brand, the past guest status came with the customers.

Also, even between the various brands that Carnival now owes, past guest status does not transfer from one brand to another which is very fair. There is a big quality (and price as one gets what they pay for) difference between the brands and to give credit on the upper end of the scale for cruises on the lower end doesn't make sense. Again, it depends on the targeted market demographic for each brand.

• 2 years later...
On 1/17/2015 at 5:31 PM, FritzG said:

Over 10 years ago, I got credit by sending 2 Circolo di Commandante pictures with 2 different captains. That gave me credit for 3 cruises since I would have had to be a past passenger to get the two photos. I had more Sitmar cruises, but those were the only photos I could find.

My first ever cruise was on the Fairwind in July, 1974--I can't believe it has been 40 years!

Wow. You were on the Fairwind just a few months after my mom. Do you happen to remember a waiter by the name Pietro Fioretti? I've actually been trying to find him and you're the closest I've found to anyone who was on board at that time.

Thanks!

Scott