Explorer Bookings

Mr Rumor

Don't forget, they recently announced included Business Class fares for every booking category for about 10 different 2015 cruises mainly to the Baltic.

And, TedC, for all of the July Voyager cruises, the Business Upgrade for all categories is $0 and not $499. Seems they added the note at the top of the page "This voyage features FREE Business Class Air* in all suite categories." but, where the various fares are listed, the little airplane was not added to the below Penthouse categories.

Very confusing but, these are some of the cruises announced with $0 Business Class Upgrades and not the $499 TedC mentioned.

Regent's Double TALK takes and giveth back! MY $499 BC each way is OK but the free biz is gone and the fare is higher! You can't WIN! Regent's Double Talk is like the old carnival barkers but with less ethics!

Sorry..... "Regent suite" is a new category. I thought you were referring to a suite on Regent. Based on the cost of the top suites on Regent's other ships, this does not seem out of line. I'm surprised and disappointed that so few "Regent suites" are being built.

Why? Are you planning on booking one? This suite is larger than any home I've ever lived in, I think.

Sorry..... "Regent suite" is a new category. I thought you were referring to a suite on Regent. Based on the cost of the top suites on Regent's other ships, this does not seem out of line. I'm surprised and disappointed that so few "Regent suites" are being built.

I'm not surprised at all - actually, it is BRILLIANT marketing - by having only one Regent suite, it becomes something quite exclusive, available only to a very limited group of individuals. As far as I am concerned, I really couldn't care less, but for some people, this is quite important. Some people are willing to shell out lots of money for "exclusive". Kind of in the same league of claiming bragging rights that one was on a maiden voyage of a ship. Most of the time the only person impressed is the person involved and not the people listening.

gnomie :)

Why? Are you planning on booking one? This suite is larger than any home I've ever lived in, I think.

For various reasons, we are no longer posting "future cruises". I can say, however, that we would not book the Explorer Suite. Also, we are now realizing that some of our bookings have been based on "hype" rather than actual interest in the itinerary. As we continue to "grow up", our cruise bookings are not the same as they were a few years ago. Still love Regent. Still prefer it to Oceania but no longer want our personal vacation plans to be "public".

I'm happy for all you guys, Explorer sounds like a great adventure.

But I can't wrap my head around the prices. $900 pp a night for the cheapest cabin, ~$1K for the Superior Verandah. Won't do it.

Let's see, our October Nile cruise on Uniworld is priced at about $500 a night. Don't know the price of our Tauck river cruise in 2016, but I'm sure it won't be much more.

For various reasons, we are no longer posting "future cruises". I can say, however, that we would not book the Explorer Suite. Also, we are now realizing that some of our bookings have been based on "hype" rather than actual interest in the itinerary. As we continue to "grow up", our cruise bookings are not the same as they were a few years ago. Still love Regent. Still prefer it to Oceania but no longer want our personal vacation plans to be "public".

Such a odd post..really what is the value to others with such cryptic commentary? If you want privacy, stop posting, especially the "live from" threads. Also, not sure why a seasoned cruiser would book a cruise based on "hype" vs itinerary or some other good reason. No idea what "growing up" means, especially in the context of an experienced cruiser who is the expert on Regent. No need to respond...maybe just stick to providing helpful tips to others.

Such a odd post..really what is the value to others with such cryptic commentary? If you want privacy, stop posting, especially the "live from" threads. Also, not sure why a seasoned cruiser would book a cruise based on "hype" vs itinerary or some other good reason. No idea what "growing up" means, especially in the context of an experienced cruiser who is the expert on Regent. No need to respond...maybe just stick to providing helpful tips to others.

Agreed, odd yet the context resides in another thread wherein the poster's future cruises were the subject of speculation. None of it of interests to me.

Was responding to a post - nothing more or less. This has nothing to do with my "life from" posts.

octoberkat -- there is no further explanation other than what resides in some peoples imagination. :rolleyes:

Edited by Travelcat2

According to a Monday article in Cruise Industry News, Regent "reported both single-day and first week record bookings" for the Explorer. The article went on to state that reservations made on January 19, the official first day of sales to Titanium members, "surpassed the line's previous single-day revenue record by nearly three times."

Here is the link: http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12162-regent-sets-booking-record-with-seven-seas-explorer.html

Edited by Mr Rumor

I'm happy for all you guys, Explorer sounds like a great adventure.

But I can't wrap my head around the prices. $900 pp a night for the cheapest cabin, ~$1K for the Superior Verandah. Won't do it.

Let's see, our October Nile cruise on Uniworld is priced at about $500 a night. Don't know the price of our Tauck river cruise in 2016, but I'm sure it won't be much more.

Even non-Explorer prices are still very close to $1,000 pp - save your pennies!

+1 Wendy, Henry; $1000 per diem geez, what's the saying about a sucker...Crystal, SB, Silversea offer vibrant itineraries w/wonderful service/cuisine at much less (in the med) per diem..oh but wait it's a maiden voyage.

Edited by WesW

Frankly, I think a maiden voyage should be less expensive, not more. They will still be working out the kinks and not up to full speed so why should one pay full freight?

It will be far and away the most expensive per diem that we've EVER paid. We have been blessed being able to travel all over the world. We've made wonderful friends, many whom we met on our Radisson/Regent WC's (when they had them...sigh :(). The Maiden Voyage will be like a reunion for many of us. We're in good health but not getting any younger (another sigh..)

It's a decision we made that may not make sense to many but it does to us. If the service or ship isn't perfect, that's OK, not a concern. It will be very memorable nevertheless and a first for us to continue making lifetime memories :)

Edited by petlover

I think Marcie's point is well stated......good for you Marcie, go for what you want while you can. One never knows about tomorrow. Hope you have a wonderful and memorable cruise, and how fun it will be cruising with so many of your WC friends. Wish we were going with you.

Marcie, I so agree with you. At this stage of our lives, we are taking a carpe diem approach to travel. That being said, still plenty of bucket list items left for us that don't have that $1K per diem attached, but I understand your decision completely.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Whats interesting to me is that some of the now nay-sayers were still cheerleading when the per-Diem was ~(or over)$1k/day. That's nothing new at all. To see them now complain about it (and mock those willing to pay it) seems rather odd.

I agree! Don't understand the big "shock" over the Explorers fares. This is more or less the per diem on Regent on many of their cruises.

What Regent can no longer claim with the Explorer is a no class system as the higher category suites definitely come with more benefits than the lower priced ones. Regent is following Oceania's lead here.

Regent likes to claim a lot. Like the first cruise of the Explorer was supposed to be a free shakedown cruise for Titanium members. Oops. Then it was Titanium were supposed to get first booking. Oops.

Then if you visit their website they say the excursions are 'free'. Really? That means they're not part of the cruise fare then? People should ask for a breakdown of where there fare goes then ask for their money back that went to tours. Either that or some regulator agency needs to smack Regent with the naughty stick for that shenanigan.

Regent likes to claim a lot. Like the first cruise of the Explorer was supposed to be a free shakedown cruise for Titanium members. Oops. Then it was Titanium were supposed to get first booking. Oops.

Then if you visit their website they say the excursions are 'free'. Really? That means they're not part of the cruise fare then? People should ask for a breakdown of where there fare goes then ask for their money back that went to tours. Either that or some regulator agency needs to smack Regent with the naughty stick for that shenanigan.

Sounds like you don't like Regent. Good thing that there are choices.

Everyone that I know that is Titanium and wanted to be on the maiden voyage is on the maiden voyage. In terms of a "free shakedown cruise" for Titanium members, please advise where you read this information. It is concerning since I know of no one who was given this information.

wripro -- nothing has really changed since the implementation of the concierge program 3 or so years ago. Passengers in higher suites get larger suites, a butler, plenty of in-suite amenities, hotel and airfare benefits and early booking for excursions and dining reservations. There is no special areas of the ship where only "concierge and above" can visit. When you walk into a restaurant or lounge, there is no way to identify you as someone in a top suite (unlike on Oceania you have to show your key card for a drink ...... the key card shows what category stateroom or suite you are in).

wripro -- I do have a question and since you cannot tell whether a person is happy, angry or ??? when reading a post, let me assure you that I am asking politely and out of curiosity. If I am correct, you have not sailed Regent for a long time, however, you regularly post less than positive comments about Regent on this board. Is there a reason for this? Are you hoping that Regent will change their policies (specifically the excursion policy) so that you might sail Regent again? Did Regent do something to you that you are still upset about?

Edited by Travelcat2