All Inclusive Debate

SOShrink

So long as the cruise line defines its "all-inclusive" policies thoroughly, there's no real cause for complaint IMO. But caveat emptor, as in all consumer purchases.

I agree, make it abundantly clear what is included so there are no surprises and all should be good.

I don't see why people should be denied the opportunity to opt for something extra special on top of what is included just to fit into a narrow definition of 'all-inclusive'.

Being able to enjoy a range of included tours, eat, drink from the bar and even have tips included and I'm comfortable describing that as 'all inclusive'.

Of course those who feel differently can elect to cruise with another provider.

• 1 month later...
I don't understand why it makes such a difference to folks if they pay the gratuities before the cruise begins or at the end. You're still paying gratuities. Also if a cruiseline offers optional tours that is not really all inclusive either in terms of River Cruises. Almost all river cruises include excursions. Jmo

The main difference is having to figure out how much the tips will be and then figuring that into your calculations when comparing the cost between companies. It's easier if it's included.

There is also the issue of needing cash for tips for the tour guides/drivers on land if those tips are not included in the price. It's nice to not have to deal with getting cash from the ATM to keep a few euros or other currencies to hand out at the end of each excursion.

The main difference is having to figure out how much the tips will be and then figuring that into your calculations when comparing the cost between companies. It's easier if it's included.

There is also the issue of needing cash for tips for the tour guides/drivers on land if those tips are not included in the price. It's nice to not have to deal with getting cash from the ATM to keep a few euros or other currencies to hand out at the end of each excursion.

You always need some cash unless you plan on purchasing nothing from the local vendors and shops.

You need Euro coins if you plan on using public lavatories

I promised that I would get back to this post when I returned from my Gems of Italy Uniworld "all-inclusive" trip. So, the bottom line is that the all-inclusive (whatever people choose it to mean) was nice in that it prevented the tip frenzy that usually occurs at the end of a trip. Yes, people drank more but not inappropriately. It was nice to have a Margarita one afternoon on board or the occasional Sambuca liquor in the evening, etc. without worrying about the cost. The complimentary liquor, beer and wine selection were excellent and not just cheap well-brands. We walked off the ship only being charged for 2 art historian optional excursions, 2 gondola rides charged to our room (very convenient) and 2 massages. Overall I felt that most of the staff were awesome despite the pre-paid tips. It wasn't out of the ordinary to see some crew given extra tips when they went out of their way like the waiter who went back and forth from the upper deck to the lounge to get people drinks and appetizers but he didn't appear to expect it and was genuinely moved by receiving it. I had to practically beg and plead with the massage therapist to accept a small token of appreciation for a job well-done. It was also nice not to worry about the tour leaders and bus drivers who were well-compensated by the cruise line and didn't even wait around for tips at the end of the tours. So, I am happy to report that I was one of the skeptics about the "all-inclusive" system, but I admit I was wrong!

It wasn't out of the ordinary to see some crew given extra tips when they went out of their way like the waiter who went back and forth from the upper deck to the lounge to get people drinks and appetizers but he didn't appear to expect it and was genuinely moved by receiving it. I had to practically beg and plead with the massage therapist to accept a small token of appreciation for a job well-done. It was also nice not to worry about the tour leaders and bus drivers who were well-compensated by the cruise line and didn't even wait around for tips at the end of the tours. So, I am happy to report that I was one of the skeptics about the "all-inclusive" system, but I admit I was wrong!

I wonder if it was the same waiter we had a couple of years ago on that same cruise. He was amazing.

Having just returned from Paris-Normandy, I agree about not having to worry about the standard tipping. All of our guides were very knowledgeable and informative, even more so than the ones we had in Venice/Italy.

The only charges we had were for an "add-on" tour to Etretat and the Apreval Cider Farm. And it was well worth it!

How much were the massages? Did you find the lounge livelier in the evenings since drinks were free?

On Uniworld's Paris/Normandy cruise that I took just last month, I recall them being ~$110.

And the lounge activity was dependent on the days' activities, but I would say definitely livelier, though I don't know that I can say the free drinks were the reason. I think passenger mix played a factor on this cruise. (But I enjoyed the free drinks, and the awesome bartenders we had)

I promised that I would get back to this post when I returned from my Gems of Italy Uniworld "all-inclusive" trip... I had to practically beg and plead with the massage therapist to accept a small token of appreciation for a job well-done. So, I am happy to report that I was one of the skeptics about the "all-inclusive" system, but I admit I was wrong!

Interesting! I assumed spa services would still be subject to gratuities.

On Uniworld's Paris/Normandy cruise that I took just last month, I recall them being ~$110.

And the lounge activity was dependent on the days' activities, but I would say definitely livelier, though I don't know that I can say the free drinks were the reason. I think passenger mix played a factor on this cruise. (But I enjoyed the free drinks, and the awesome bartenders we had)

Thanks for the info.

Our one hour massage was 65 euros and they also have half hour sessions (foot and hand or shoulder, neck and backchair massages) for 49 I believe. You do not need to tip ANYBODY including the Wellness/fitness/massage therapist. One idea that we have done to show appreciation instead of giving money, is to bring items from your home town they may enjoy getting. We gave Trader Joe's tote bags from LA and NY to some of the ladies, a Jets cap to one of the guys, who was a sports fan, etc. which was more personal and different. We also gave money in certain rare instances, but I'm afraid all us well-meaning folks are going to start an unnecessary trend. I did observe that several passengers can't survive without tipping extra even in the face of mediocre service and the all-inclusive situation and it simply defeats the whole purpose.

Our one hour massage was 65 euros and they also have half hour sessions (foot and hand or shoulder, neck and backchair massages) for 49 I believe. You do not need to tip ANYBODY including the Wellness/fitness/massage therapist. One idea that we have done to show appreciation instead of giving money, is to bring items from your home town they may enjoy getting. We gave Trader Joe's tote bags from LA and NY to some of the ladies, a Jets cap to one of the guys, who was a sports fan, etc. which was more personal and different. We also gave money in certain rare instances, but I'm afraid all us well-meaning folks are going to start an unnecessary trend. I did observe that several passengers can't survive without tipping extra even in the face of mediocre service and the all-inclusive situation and it simply defeats the whole purpose.

Thanks! That is more in line with what we pay on AMA, 60E for one hour massage. $110 (mentioned above) is a bit excessive.

We often go to all inclusive resorts where tipping is prohibited except for spa staff. Interesting that a tip for massage is not expected.

Edited by caviargal

We also gave money in certain rare instances, but I'm afraid all us well-meaning folks are going to start an unnecessary trend. I did observe that several passengers can't survive without tipping extra even in the face of mediocre service and the all-inclusive situation and it simply defeats the whole purpose.

Good point! In Italy, where the only tip in a restaurant is to round up to the nearest euro, Italians hate the tourist who tips 20% because it "spoils" the waitstaff and raises expectations. Of course most Italians don't eat where the tourists do any way. ;)

Papa, be careful what you asked for! Yes, indeed, I plan on posting a detailed description of the Venice cruise as soon as I catch up. Despite all the descriptions and details, you will still need to make some major decisions along the way about where you want to spend the day and I will try to be fair-balanced about our experience and feedback we heard from others on board...

• 1 year later...
Hi Jeb_Bub we did the same cruise with Scenic a few years ago and posted a review in the CC review section, this year we do our fourth cruise with Scenic so far why change a fantastic cruise line. If your interested look on ******************** they have a very comprehensive all inclusive chart on all kinds of cruises including river companies there are also some indications of the costs/savings ect., an interesting read. When we started Scenic were not all inclusive and only butlers on the top deck, the next cruise we decided that we did not necessarily need a butler so booked deck 2 then realised we got a butler anyway so we made full use her she was axcellent. Mind you Scenic was all inclusive apart from beverages now you leave the ship without a bill that is if you don't get talked into buying a Steif Bear, I got my second one on that cruise, third one the next year but last year and this year no more as we cruised and are cruising France is sadly not famous for their bears. Do enjoy your research for and your cruise, make full use of your information gadgets they are so brilliant especially if you wonder off on your own or sit in the lounge or your cabin watching the world glide by.

Happy cruising CA 🐻

Would love to see the comparison. We just won the Vantage Mekong 15 day cruise!!!! I am an ocean liner pax for over 50 years and look forward to learning the ins/outs of river cruising before we take off for the fabulous trip. Could you send the comparison website perhaps with spaces in it???

Thanks

Hi Marne001 its on the River Cruise Adviser website the chart I referred to only does European river cruising but there is loads of other advice as well. What a trip to win lucky you I hope you really enjoy it. I expect you will get completely hooked, river cruising is so, so different to ocean cruising. Which company are you going with. CA

Marne....we will be on the Vantage Mekong Cruise in November...I will report back on our return. When is your trip? Have done 2 other Vantage Cruises (Irrawaddy and Peruvian Amazon) and have been happy with the product that Vantage offers.

There is a very good thread about a Mekong/Cambodia trip that was done with Uniworld...it will give a good idea about what the trip will be like.

• 3 months later...

You have to figure that the people who run cruise lines will have a pretty good idea about how much passengers will consume and how many excursions they will join if it is all-inclusive. They will set prices accordingly. If you are not likely to drink as much as your fellow passengers and if you are inclined to go off on your own onshore, then you may well save some money by using a cruise line where these things are not included. Clearly, if you like to drink more than most people and you go on every excursion you can, then an all-inclusive will be a bargain for you. If you are "most people," it will probably be a toss-up, as what you save on one end you'll pay on the other.

On tipping, I'd rather that cruises did not have the blanket tipping at the end of the cruise. I can't see how that motivates the employees, since the outcome is so diffuse. I imagine that most passengers just tip the suggested amount, unless they are very happy or very disappointed. I'd rather that the lines paid the employees more and rolled it into the price. I think that there is a place for tipping someone who did something special to make your trip more enjoyable. --Dav

Edited by glmschlaglp
insert paragraph breaks