Princess food

Boatingmom

I know this is subjective but what one food item offered on Princess, that is not to be missed? (Not including the specialty restaurants or extra fee). Just wondering. in 1995 I had beef tenderloin wrapped in a crust (Beef Wellington) on a HAL ship that to this day I remember. Is there a dish like this on the Regal Princess??

Edited by Boatingmom
sp

I haven't done my cruise yet, but from what I've read these items are extremely popular:

- Fettuccine Alfredo in Parmesan bowl

- Any pizza at Alfredo's

- Anything that's got the word "souffle"

- The volcano (banana split type dessert)

- The love boat dream dessert

I'll have my own personal list by the end of February. ;)

For me it is the escargot, goat cheese souffle, and the dessert souffles.

Also, I really look forward to the honey mustard salad dressing, and that's something I seldom care for on land. Don't know why I enjoy it so much at sea. I have only had it in the MDR; don't know whether it's the same or available at the buffet.

There are many (many, many) other Princess food items I enjoy, but the above are the items that stand out, to me, as unique to cruise eating.

I haven't been on the Regal in a while but it's similar to the other ships the Beef Wellington is usually served at the buffet on formal nights. We just throw away the outer layer & eat the rare inside portion. Even if we eat in the DR for dinner we always stop at the buffet to sample items later in the evening before they close.

Another salad favorite at the International Cafe, the chicken salad. They will put it on a croissant for you if you ask.

In the MDR, the beef medallions for dinner, followed by the creme brulee for dessert.

My favorite pizza is to be had on Lido Deck, at Prego Pizza. The BEST!!

YUM!!!

Edited by stoneharborlady
an addition

in 1995 I had beef tenderloin wrapped in a crust (Beef Wellington) on a HAL ship that to this day I remember. Is there a dish like this on the Regal Princess??

Regal serves Beef Wellington on the second formal night of a seven night cruise. However, as it was the one meal I was genuinely looking forward to last week, I can unfortunately report that it has slid in quality. Slid way down. Very disappointing.

The ravioli I've eaten have been very good. One was a vegetarian version that was on the embarkation day menu. I had it in August, but the menu had changed when we were on the same ship (Caribbean Princess) last month. There's a version with meat offered as a pasta course on one of the dinner menus.

Regal serves Beef Wellington on the second formal night of a seven night cruise. However, as it was the one meal I was genuinely looking forward to last week, I can unfortunately report that it has slid in quality. Slid way down. Very disappointing.

Probably depends on the chef... we had Beef Wellington a few weeks ago on Crown Princess and it was tasty..

15449200783_685f74cb4a_z.jpgCrown Princess - 2014 by RickEk, on Flickr

I'm lactose intolerant, so the dessert cakes were some of the best I've had on the Emerald. They were so good that my non-lactose intolerant family even wanted them.

Only disappointment was finding out it was from a mix instead of a recipe. I was told it was the only way to ensure that it was lactose free.

This might be somewhat off-topic, but I found most of the offerings at the chef's table dinner to be truly exceptional compared to the other food served on board - with the possible exception of the pizza!

Well, for an extra hundred bucks it should be. Of course, it also includes all that wine. What I discovered was that the amazing chocolate dessert from my first CT was being served, almost identical, in the MDR on my next cruise, and that the osso bucco agnolotti, my fave from my 2nd CT is on the 50th Anniverary menu.

My faves - for the record - include the goat cheese soufflé (of course), most of the cold fruit soups, pumpkin crepes, flourless chocolate cake, most all the Chocolate Journeys desserts, the Thai mussels, and the chicken korma can be quite lovely. Alfredo's on the Royal had great veal agnolotti. Oh, and the snails. Last formal night I skipped the lobster and the Wellington and tried the pheasant instead. It was delish.

(BTW, the appetizer fettuccine doesn't come in the Parmesan bowl, and either way, I don't know what the fuss is about.)

Thank goodness my next cruise is in less than a month. I just made myself hungry for Princess' food.

Edited by shepp

My husband and I both love the smoked duck breast and the stilton cheese moose- they are different appetizers but usually served on the same night- if you combine the two it is amazing (so good we ordered another round for dessert!). We also really like the goat cheese soufflés.

I'm lactose intolerant, so the dessert cakes were some of the best I've had on the Emerald. They were so good that my non-lactose intolerant family even wanted them.

Only disappointment was finding out it was from a mix instead of a recipe. I was told it was the only way to ensure that it was lactose free.

Hubby and I are both lactose intolerant too, but we discovered lactaid pills that allow us to eat dairy, within reasonable amounts, with none of the usual Ill affects or discomfort. That being said, I'll definitely be looking for dessert cakes you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app