VIFP Club Benefits Change(email from Carnival)

FlorenceItaly

If the complaints are about when and where the coupons can be used how about relaxing the restrictions so past guests can get their complimentary cocktail anytime during the cruise.......No we'll just change it to a free bottle of water.

I think many will see this as yet another money saving cutback.

Me thinks you nailed it on the cutback.

Yeah those snooty comments aren't really necessary.

Trying to figure out if this is a real money saver or not. I would think they would have to buy more water as nobody ever purchases onboard the amount they are going to give out. On the flip, I know for sure we have blown off the sea day brunch plenty of times. I only think I've gone twice in 7 cruises.

agreed.

as far as it being a money saver or not - they don't tend to make vifp type changes unless it is anymore... they may have to purchase more water (though i doubt it), but they will have to purchase less liquor, mixers, etc - all of which are certainly more expensive than water.

add to that, their economies of scale, and the amount they would spend on a 1 liter bottle of water will be minor. then factor in that many guests will likely not even drink it - and an unopened bottle of water can be passed on to the next guest... yeah i think it's a money saving endeavor, no doubt.

So, how long before the following are regular threads:

Hi, I am a Gold but I am sailing with two first timer cruisers, can I ask for three bottles of water?

Hi, I am a Platinum and my friend is a first time cruiser, can I let them drink my complimentary bottle of water?

Like I said, it's ONE drink. And it's only been a "gift" for what, about 2 years? It's not like this is a long-time Carnival tradition that's being taken away.

But, let's all take every possible opportunity to squeal about CUTBACKS CUTBACKS CUTBACKS. Honestly, people. :rolleyes:

More waitstaff at breakfast? Really? Those people are already working morning, noon, and night in both the buffet and MDRs.

I understand. I want it all, too. I want to sail for inflation-adjusted prices that are lower than what they were 15 years ago. I want no single supplement. I want free drinks. I want OBC for price drops. I want food to be as good or better than it was 15 years ago despite the exorbitant increases in food prices over that time span. I throw a hissy fit if there isn't an ice bucket in my cabin and if the cabin stewards don't act like they're my personal servants.

:p

Like I said, it's ONE drink. And it's only been a "gift" for what, about 2 years? It's not like this is a long-time Carnival tradition that's being taken away.

But, let's all take every possible opportunity to squeal about CUTBACKS CUTBACKS CUTBACKS. Honestly, people. :rolleyes:

More waitstaff at breakfast? Really? Those people are already working morning, noon, and night in both the buffet and MDRs.

I understand. I want it all, too. I want to sail for inflation-adjusted prices that are lower than what they were 15 years ago. I want no single supplement. I want free drinks. I want OBC for price drops. I want food to be as good or better than it was 15 years ago despite the exorbitant increases in food prices over that time span. I throw a hissy fit if there isn't an ice bucket in my cabin and if the cabin stewards don't act like they're my personal servants.

:eek:

Agreed!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think most people's issues with this - including mine - are the fact that Carnival has taken what we the customer said that needed improving, and twisted it all around making it the total opposite of what was intended.

So instead of lifting the restriction (which was the complaint), they did away with the whole perk for many, but not all, and still left that same restriction in place for the few that still receive the benefit. All the while saying that's what we wanted. Well I say that's horse crap! We didn't ask for water, we asked to use the coupon anywhere on the ship.

They must be using that Common Core sense of reasoning to come to this conclusion as it makes absolutely no sense to me!

But having the Room Stewards lug big heavy bottles of water for every return guest is so much better. I totally agree the waitstaff are over worked. The Room Stewards are over worked and now will be adding to there load.

I am Gold. Wow what a wonderful idea Carnival has come up with for their loyal cruisers-- a free bottle of water ! I am going to call my PVP right now so I don't miss out on this wonderful opportunity, NOT !

Hey, water's important! :D

I think most people's issues with this - including mine - are the fact that Carnival has taken what we the customer said that needed improving, and twisted it all around making it the total opposite of what was intended.

So instead of lifting the restriction (which was the complaint), they did away with the whole perk for many, but not all, and still left that same restriction in place for the few that still receive the benefit. All the while saying that's what we wanted. Well I say that's horse crap! We didn't ask for water, we asked to use the coupon anywhere on the ship.

They must be using that Common Core sense of reasoning to come to this conclusion as it makes absolutely no sense to me!

At least Carnival listened... :rolleyes:

We're Platinum, so although this change doesn't affect us directly, I do approve of it. A previous poster in this thread gave the reason: the poster commented about how very many days of cruising it will take before he gets to the Platinum level and can get this free drink again.

Well, yeah! That's why I support this announcement and change. It took me a lot of CCL cruise purchases since 2009 to get the perks that come with the Platinum level. That's a lot of investment and loyalty on my part. After next week's cruise and next year's b2b on the Vista, I'll be getting mighty close to Diamond.

I would actually like to see more differentiation between all the loyalty levels.

I see this as a "downgrade" to the loyalty perks rather than an improvement. I love the Seaday Brunch menu and always used by free drink coupon.

However, I understand that it is sometimes necessary for corporations to make changes. All I ask is that you be honest about the changes you are making. Don't give me this nonsense about changing it from a free drink to a free bottle of water because of feedback on the restrictions. I'm sure they did get feedback on the restrictions, so as others have said, lift those restrictions. The obvious real motive here is cost-savings....so just be honest about it. Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes.

We're Platinum, so although this change doesn't affect us directly, I do approve of it. [cut...]

I would actually like to see more differentiation between all the loyalty levels.

i'd rather see them give you and the other platinum, diamond etc. elite MORE perks, than take them away from the lower levels, so you feel better about the differentiation between levels. wouldn't you?

i'd rather see them give you and the other platinum, diamond etc. elite MORE perks, than take them away from the lower levels, so you feel better about the differentiation between levels. wouldn't you?

I'll just give you and firemanbobswife my universal agreement for all of your posts on this subject today.

Edited by Pixelate

Yes, I agree. As long as CCL can do it without raising fares to the point where the first time cruiser can't afford it, or that the returning cruiser looks at other cruise lines for a better value. I would prefer better basics for everyone - more live music, and high quality food, for instance.

I see this as a "downgrade" to the loyalty perks rather than an improvement. I love the Seaday Brunch menu and always used by free drink coupon.

However, I understand that it is sometimes necessary for corporations to make changes. All I ask is that you be honest about the changes you are making. Don't give me this nonsense about changing it from a free drink to a free bottle of water because of feedback on the restrictions. I'm sure they did get feedback on the restrictions, so as others have said, lift those restrictions. The obvious real motive here is cost-savings....so just be honest about it. Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes.

Exactly. This is the new approach by many corporations - we are downgrading our product to meet your wants and needs. I think of Jet Blue eliminating one free checked bag and saying that change will help them better meet customer needs. The original drink voucher restrictions existed full well knowing that many would not be used under those conditions. Using the honest customer feedback to wheedle a cost cut is quite transparent. If customer concern were any part of the decision, why not make the voucher redeemable for a bottle of water at varied ship locations? I would rather they just took it away without an explanation; it would be more honest. And to take it away for Gold level beyond just repeat cruisers . . . sad.

We're Platinum, so although this change doesn't affect us directly, I do approve of it. A previous poster in this thread gave the reason: the poster commented about how very many days of cruising it will take before he gets to the Platinum level and can get this free drink again.

Well, yeah! That's why I support this announcement and change. It took me a lot of CCL cruise purchases since 2009 to get the perks that come with the Platinum level. That's a lot of investment and loyalty on my part. After next week's cruise and next year's b2b on the Vista, I'll be getting mighty close to Diamond.

For 75 days sailed, don't you think you should get at least two coupons! lol. Or a premium bottle or something? I'm just saying. One free drink coupon is nothing generous for a platinum cruiser. And since the issue with it was that it was too restrictive, why not loosen the restriction for everyone else and come up with something better for Platinum and Diamond? Maybe that's just me.....

I'm confused about everyone complaining about the loss of 1 drink in exchange for 1 bottle of water. Isn't it actually for one free bottle of water each day, so for a 7 day cruise it's 1 drink vs 7 bottles of water?

We purchased Cheers on our last 2 cruises, so the free drink coupon meant nothing to us, but DH drinks lots of bottled water that we have to lug on and/or paid for.

I personally like the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Wanna_Cruize

I'm confused about everyone complaining about the loss of 1 drink in exchange for 1 bottle of water. Isn't it actually for one free bottle of water each day, so for a 7 day cruise it's 1 drink vs 7 bottles of water?

We purchased Cheers on our last 2 cruises, so the free drink coupon meant nothing to us, but DH drinks lots of bottled water that we have to lug on and/or paid for.

I personally like the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NO! It's ONE bottle of water. Period. It stinks!