Wow! HAL really is watching us!

AV8rix

Now this is interesting! My browser is Firefox. Just this morning I installed an add-on called Lightbeam. It produces a graphic showing who is tracking each web site that one visits. After reading the HAL boards for a while I took a look at my Lightbeam graphic. There were a number of the usual metrics trackers -- and there was HAL!!!! Not CCL, RCI, NCL or any others!

Well, I considered the possibility that this result might just be because I was only looking at the HAL forum, so I looked at a few posts on the Celebrity and NCL sections. Then I rechecked my Lightbeam graphic. Again, the ONLY cruise line tracking me was HAL!

If anyone here is using either Firefox or Chrome, you might want to install this add-on. It is not available for the native Windows Internet Explorer.

So I think that the takeaway is: Yes, let us continue being vocal about our opinions on changes that we wish HAL might make regarding smoking policies, Mariner Society awards revisions, etc, etc. They are not going unnoticed.

I seriously doubt that anyone @ HAL is doing anything more than compiling the cookies from our browsers so that they can formulate a better/newer/alternative marketing strategy.

The amount of excrement talked by some folks could almost land a slander/libel suit if HAL "read" everything.

It is just data mining.

Now this is interesting! My browser is Firefox. Just this morning I installed an add-on called Lightbeam. It produces a graphic showing who is tracking each web site that one visits. After reading the HAL boards for a while I took a look at my Lightbeam graphic. There were a number of the usual metrics trackers -- and there was HAL!!!! Not CCL, RCI, NCL or any others!

Well, I considered the possibility that this result might just be because I was only looking at the HAL forum, so I looked at a few posts on the Celebrity and NCL sections. Then I rechecked my Lightbeam graphic. Again, the ONLY cruise line tracking me was HAL!

If anyone here is using either Firefox or Chrome, you might want to install this add-on. It is not available for the native Windows Internet Explorer.

So I think that the takeaway is: Yes, let us continue being vocal about our opinions on changes that we wish HAL might make regarding smoking policies, Mariner Society awards revisions, etc, etc. They are not going unnoticed.

Good to know.

I know that the Oceania and Regent executive offices (including the top dog) always monitor their board activity and Frank occasionally responds to either answer an important question or clarify something that is being misinterpreted. I would assume that HAL does the same. What better place would they have to find out what we are talking about and what they might want to consider changing. I have found the people on these boards to be a great source of information about anything to do with cruising and as the years have marched on, more and more people are finding us here. I would much rather HAL follows my activity than some of the other data harvesters out there.....

I seriously doubt that anyone @ HAL is doing anything more than compiling the cookies from our browsers so that they can formulate a better/newer/alternative marketing strategy.

The amount of excrement talked by some folks could almost land a slander/libel suit if HAL "read" everything.

It is just data mining.

I know for sure there are people in Seattle HAL offices and some on the ships who read CC at least from time to time. They have told me. :) It would be surprising if they didn't. They are smart enough to weed out the trolls and ones who post tales of woe for revenge and to notice a clear pattern if there are the same complaints about the same thing or same ship etc

They also notice the posts praising particular circumstances and ships etc. :)

Edited by sail7seas

There are some posters here who believe (and may be right) all the posts here on CC influenced a modification of HAL's new wine policy. I tend to think it was 'a' factor if not the only one.

I know that at least some threads are read by management. Someone I know very well was present when top management (I'm not naming names ;) ) from Seattle was discussing a "live from" thread.

Ditto :)

['/B]

It is just data mining.

Very well put..

The folks in Seattle would be fools not to keep up to date on what's being said about the company on social media (of which this is one).

But that is only one source of information that managers should be using in evaluating new or modified products and services. These boards, like all other social media, involve self-selected participants, whose comments are made with limited, if any, context around them.

This is no substitute for rigourous market research--but it can be useful as a "temperature check," to see if your market research is leading you in the correct direction.

Oh, yes. Holland America employees DO read this forum. Maybe not in an "official" capacity, but they're here none the less. I first realized this probably 10 years ago when I had barely entered the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia when a HAL employee approached me and asked if I was Jim Hannah. I was recognized from my picture avatar that appears on my posts. I was astounded! Pretty neat.

Oh, yes. Holland America employees DO read this forum. Maybe not in an "official" capacity, but they're here none the less. I first realized this probably 10 years ago when I had barely entered the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia when a HAL employee approached me and asked if I was Jim Hannah. I was recognized from my picture avatar that appears on my posts. I was astounded! Pretty neat.

You're famous Jim ;)

what modification of the new wine policy? Is it one bottle per person at embarkation or has it been changed?

There's been no modification of the new wine policy for exactly one year now. However, that was a modification of the original change. HAL backtracked 6 months on the implementation date of that very quickly, then backtracked on the policy the day before it was to be implemented.

There's been no modification of the new wine policy for exactly one year now. However, that was a modification of the original change. HAL backtracked 6 months on the implementation date of that very quickly, then backtracked on the policy the day before it was to be implemented.

Yes... I remember reading about this on the CNN News ticker

Edited by Wakepatrol

I know that the Oceania and Regent executive offices (including the top dog) always monitor their board activity and Frank occasionally responds to either answer an important question or clarify something that is being misinterpreted. I would assume that HAL does the same. What better place would they have to find out what we are talking about and what they might want to consider changing. I have found the people on these boards to be a great source of information about anything to do with cruising and as the years have marched on, more and more people are finding us here. I would much rather HAL follows my activity than some of the other data harvesters out there.....

Going back a few years I posted about an issue on the Oceania forum, Frank read it, and asked me to contact him. He was amazing about making amends, I was very impressed.

Going back a few years I posted about an issue on the Oceania forum, Frank read it, and asked me to contact him. He was amazing about making amends, I was very impressed.

I have been very impressed by this on the Oceania boards.

It is one of the reasons we are trying them.

Hal may be watching but it is a rare day when anyone comes on and responds.

When we used to have DBA he would at least give some input.

I do know a certain Prinsendam captain read all the roll calls for the P'dam and followed the live threads. He also knew I was kazu (not too hard since I was doing the M & G) but I was somewhat taken aback when he said, "kazu, right?"

I have been very impressed by this on the Oceania boards.

It is one of the reasons we are trying them.

Hal may be watching but it is a rare day when anyone comes on and responds.

When we used to have DBA he would at least give some input.

I do know a certain Prinsendam captain read all the roll calls for the P'dam and followed the live threads. He also knew I was kazu (not too hard since I was doing the M & G) but I was somewhat taken aback when he said, "kazu, right?"

It is worthy of pointing out a basic difference as to "Frank" as he is familiarly called here. How many ships does Oceania have? How many employees? How many cruisers per year?

How many issues.... larger numbers for those categories make for larger issues in all categories.

I've seen actual posts from Oceania employees in addition to Frank in response to an issue.

Over on the river cruise forum Viking monitors the forums closely, they post often and encourage those with issues to call in. One irate customer got a big refund after he complained about re routing.

I've noticed on trip advisor many hotels and restaurants respond to all reviews, positive and negative. I've written scores of reviews, only one was really negative and I was contacted by the restaurant owner in Kauai to get more info. He backtracked and found our reservation so he could follow up.

There are many analytic companies tracking your cookies so they can position pop up ads for their company as you browse, they also send emails if you peek at their site. We have Family members including a son employed in this industry and it is huge. This is the hottest industry for MBA students graduating from the top programs.

Edited by sammiedawg