Experienced Aqua Cruisers

vmarq

I appreciate all of the comments. We will make the best out of the cruise. I'm surprised about all the negative comments pertaining to Blu and the Reflection. Even CleGuy(sp) wrote something basically saying to stay away from the Reflection given the choice (not word for word).

You will have a great time. On our first cruise on Reflection, I swore I would never book Aqua Class so as not to eat in Blu. I decided to give it another chance after things got worked out. It had improved but not up to other S-class ships. It is good and I know you will enjoy it!

I appreciate all of the comments. We will make the best out of the cruise. I'm surprised about all the negative comments pertaining to Blu and the Reflection. Even CleGuy(sp) wrote something basically saying to stay away from the Reflection given the choice (not word for word).

We were on the Reflection in December and the food in Blu was very good. It depends on the chef. We had a very good one.

Never had to wait to get into Blu. Always had a table available.

Edited by ozark74

We will be in our first Aqua class cabin on the Equinox in a month. Thus we will be eating in the Blu for the first time. The speed of the service in the MDR seems very slow sometimes taking 1-1/2 hours to complete dinner. Is the speed of service any faster in Blu? Is it like any quality restaurant that might take 1 hr to complete a meal?

Thanks, Rick

We were on the Reflection in December and the food in Blu was very good. It depends on the chef. We had a very good one.

Never had to wait to get into Blu. Always had a table available.

Same here. We went to dinner at various times, from exactly when they opened until just after sunset. Never had to wait for a table.

We will be in our first Aqua class cabin on the Equinox in a month. Thus we will be eating in the Blu for the first time. The speed of the service in the MDR seems very slow sometimes taking 1-1/2 hours to complete dinner. Is the speed of service any faster in Blu? Is it like any quality restaurant that might take 1 hr to complete a meal?

Thanks, Rick

I wouldn't say that Blu is much different. I figure that an hour is about typical for the 2 of us to dine in a normal restaurant, with 1-1/2 hours being towards the longer side. Blu seems to fall in there.

For those who mentioned noise, I suspect that Blu is quieter than the MDR, but definitely much more cramped and less intimate (at least on the Connie). I'm not sure which ship this pic is from, I think it's the Connie, but it's certainly representative of what we saw. The window tables are 2-tops with another 2-top almost touching.

28254.jpg

Edited by D C

In defence of Blu on the Eclipse, Equinox and Summit the service and quality of the food was good to excellent. So much so we haven't book anything less then Aqua since we were moved into a Sky because of a cabin issue three years ago.

Good dining isn't a race to the exit, it's what you are doing. Enjoy the entire experience. Fresh prepared items take time, and if you want to get-in-&-out in under an hour try the buffet.

If you are the type that has to get through your meal as fast as possible, Blu is not for you.

166n41w.jpg

You did NOT make a mistake. :)

Just returned from the Reflection on Saturday and Blu was not crowed the first 6 days...the last evening it was quite crowded. I think a wait list for suite guests...we were in aqua class and were seated right away on the last night.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I should add...we dined between 7:00 and 8:30 each evening.

To anyone looking for the menus in blu... i took pictures of it. Just click the link in my signature :)

Thank you for the link to your blu menus! What fun to browse! Do you have any of the breakfast menu? I may have missed it, but I didn't see it there. Or the breakfast room service menu for Aqua class?

Thank you for the link to your blu menus! What fun to browse! Do you have any of the breakfast menu? I may have missed it, but I didn't see it there. Or the breakfast room service menu for Aqua class?

you are welcome :)

Yes there is one picture with the breakfast menu in the gallery:

http://cruisewith.lydiaingo.com/gallery/index.php/BluMenus/DSC06582_Lr

I might have a breakfast room service menu somewhere laying around here I think... if I find it, i'm gonna add it!

Hope this helps!

To anyone looking for the menus in blu... i took pictures of it. Just click the link in my signature :)

Thank you for taking the pictures and posting them. That was a lot of effort and is greatly appreciated. I will be on Silhouette in about 10 days. It will be my first Aqua class experience and I am traveling solo. I hope that we have the same menus because they look delicious. It is interesting that there are folks who want to get in and out quickly and there are those, like me, who want a more leisurely experience. Different strokes for different folks. I hope I can slow the service down to over an hour as I enjoy time between each course. Looking at those menus, I may well have four courses. Hello treadmill!

20 plus cruises and phoenix dream...thanks for the positive comments about the Summit.

On the M class ships, the gym is not above deck A1 cabins.

You're welcome! Unfortunately, the Blu menus have changed quite a bit. Mostly appetizer section. I ordered quite a few escargot (from the MDR) this trip. I chalk it up to marketing...Luminae menu looks fabulous, like the old days of Blu, and I'm guessing Celebrity would like those who remember the original Blu menus will pay more for the Luminae experience. I know we will.

Edited by 20pluscruises

We are a diverse family of 10 people that opted for AQ class because we don't think the 20 somethings of our group would comply with the formal nights of the MDR. Can Blu accommodate us for a nightly dinner? Thank you!

Edited by Justbecoz

We are a diverse family of 10 people that opted for AQ class because we don't think the 20 somethings of our group would comply with the formal nights of the MDR. Can Blu accommodate us for a nightly dinner? Thank you!

Reflection has two large tables...not certain about Summit, but I'm pretty cetain they can push a lot of the two top tables together.

You're welcome! Unfortunately, the Blu menus have changed quite a bit. Mostly appetizer section. I ordered quite a few escargot (from the MDR) this trip. I chalk it up to marketing...Luminae menu looks fabulous, like the old days of Blu, and I'm guessing Celebrity would like those who remember the original Blu menus will pay more for the Luminae experience. I know we will.

Just off the Equinox and then the Eclipse.

The Blu menus look pretty much the same as in Unipac's link.

It was interesting to see the different interpretations of two different chefs of the same dish.

There is one large table that seats 10 in the back of the S class Blu restaurant.

You might want to stop by the restaurant on embarkation day to give the Maitre D' a heads up about your large party.

Just off the Equinox and then the Eclipse.

The Blu menus look pretty much the same as in Unipac's link.

It was interesting to see the different interpretations of two different chefs of the same dish.

There is one large table that seats 10 in the back of the S class Blu restaurant.

You might want to stop by the restaurant on embarkation day to give the Maitre D' a heads up about your large party.

Wow! I shoud have gone on the Equinox...no tuna tartar, beef carpaccio, soft shell crab, etc. Bummer :(

Wow! I shoud have gone on the Equinox...no tuna tartar, beef carpaccio, soft shell crab, etc. Bummer :(

The Equinox was an 11 day cruise and the Eclipse a 14 day.

It's my understanding that there are 14 menus they rotate between so you must have unfortunately hit the wrong 7 days. (Reflection does 7 day cruises, right?)

It's my understanding that there are 14 menus they rotate between so you must have unfortunately hit the wrong 7 days. (Reflection does 7 day cruises, right?)

Yes, and they did have said items on the cruise prior to this (very recent) last cruise. Can't blame Celebrity...i actually think it's a very smart move on their part.

I would think so. There was a group of at least 10 every night at the same table on the Connie.

Interesting. I was wondering how often they repeat. I wonder if the MDR is on a similar schedule.

• 5 weeks later...

We cruised first time with Celebrity on Solstice in Aqua on a B2B our TA suggesting that would enjoy the benefits and in particular the Blu restaurant.

The TA was spot on and whilst cost vs benefits is always a consideration, we are glad that we did.

The layout and style of the restaurant was relaxing, the staff, proactive, friendly and extremely informative about the varied menu choices.

The food was extremely well presented and very tasty, but served in sensible sized portions with small amounts of carbs and sauces. You could if needed always request additional if needed.

The whole restaurant team, worked as a team and are possibly the best, either on shore or on board that we have been with and there was always a positive answer to any request.

• 2 weeks later...

We always sail in AQ ...enjoy the amenities in cabin .... access to Persian garden...and Relaxation room but miss the upgraded stateroom towels...

we like being able to dine when we please, just the two of us....at a nice table , yet able to chat with other guests if friendly...enjoy the menus, personal service and smaller dining area, lower salt menus, etc

MDR was fine for us for many years but now we prefer BLU...great for breakfast....more relaxed, less of a herd feeling

I really recommend aqua class and dining in blu to (almost) everyone. The atmosphere, getting food when it's still hot, the ability to talk in a normal voice, the sit down full breakfast rather than the buffet table scramble...those make it worth it. I didn't mention the food....I'm not sure it's really any "better" than the MDR...(we are foodies)...and seasoning seems to depend on who's cooking...so temper your expectations on that front. We have been served some awful food in the MDR AND in Blu...(don't order the pheasant).

Highly recommended AT A PRICE.

I just booked the cruise shown in my signature....aqua was $600 more than a 1A veranda and the 1A veranda was in a much better location (one off the hump with the larger balcony). I don't see any rational reason to book concierge on an S-class...we're already elite + and can't possibly cruise enough to ever be zenith...so the points don't matter...so the extra $300 upgrade wasn't worth it...you don't even get better towels any more.

The only negative to Blu..and I mean only...is that the menu's don't change. They have 14 nights of menus so you don't get the same things two days in a row..but on a 28 day B2B which is what we've been doing, you get the same menu again. After 3 B2B's and some other cruises, we are actually tired of the menu, so although the MDR fails vs Blu in many areas, we're happy to be in a 1A for a change....in fact our next B2B is in C2 but that's on an M-class ship where you get a larger cabin for C class.

Hope all this helps more than confuses...

Edited by ghstudio

• 2 months later...