What new technologies woul dyou like to see HAL use?

RMLincoln

New technology???

I would be happy if HAL simply installed some old technology...like an in cabin information system with on line accounts, menus, activities, etc.

I would not expect HAL to move to new technology. They appear to have many challenges with the old stuff. heck, even anytime dining seems to throw them into a loop!

It amazes us that we we're briefed in January 2014 by the HD of Nieuw Amsterdam that the ship was being fitted with intranet capabilities that we could access via computer, smart phones, Notebooks which one could make reservations, view bill etc. As of this date I have not heard anyone say it has been implemented.

We were told this when we were invited to an out brief. The HD actually pointed toward the corner of the ceiling and pointed out hardware that had been recently installed.

They must have come across a huge glitz in the planning and installment for it still to be non-operational.

HAL doesn't need to introduce any new technologies to the ships, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. I'd really like to see them return to "old" technology of pen and paper. I HATE the online post-cruise surveys. And after this cruise when I had to get my photo taken 4 times because of problems with the webcams/security software, I'm for any working technology that does not get me known to the security staff by first name.

I love the idea of automatic doors for the restrooms. I've noticed that many public restrooms have no door, just an "s" shaped entrance, such as in airports for instance. m--

An S-style entrance would use a ton of space, which is at a premium as it is on cruise ships.

And as often as the automatic doors on the HAL ships get stuck and either have to be held open or removed entirely, I do not think that this is such a good idea. It's just one more thing to keep the public restrooms out of commission for any part of the cruise.

Interactive TV's is ok but how about more automatic opening doors. By this I am referring to public places like washrooms so nobody has to touch the door knobs etc. My 2 cents worth. Colakid.

This is one of my favorite features on Celebrity S class ships, there's a large button as you exit the restroom, hit it with your elbow, & the door opens & then closes on it's own, no touching with your freshly washed hands.

Usually in the evenings, there's an attendant who actually pushes the button for you, using one of the cloth hand towels that Celebrity provides in the restrooms.

I love the idea of automatic doors for the restrooms.

I would prefer to see automatic doors to the outside, at least in the aft Lido area.

Since I've started using a scooter I've noticed how difficult it can be to get outside, and back, without assistance. Usually one of the sets of doors has an electric eye, but the other doesn't. So, I sit there waiting for someone to come along to open it for me. :(

I'm in my early 40's and the best part of a cruise for me is to put my iPhone on airplane mode where it becomes simply a camera and an alarm clock.

I absolutely hate it when people bring their phones into the dining room and then force the captive audience at their table (and everyone within 15 feet) to watch endless videos they've taken with their phones. It's disruptive and rude. I think it's way worse than shorts in the MDR! (Not in favor either but that's another thread :) )

Or they sit down and open emails, texts or whatever and read them out loud to their spouse for input and for the aforementioned trapped audiences' benefit.

So I'm all for spending on technology to make HAL more accessible to those who love HAL for what it is but I really don't care if they supercharge the wifi ever and please don't even think about making it free for all!

Sorry, ranting.

Carla

Edited by Dobermangal

So I'm all for spending on technology to make HAL more accessible to those who love HAL for what it is but I really don't care if they supercharge the wifi ever and please don't even think about making it free for all!

Even if they made it free, there is no reason you (or your family) has to take advantage of it. There is no reason why you have to have electronic devices at your table/s. And what other people do, as long as it's quiet, should not be of any real concern.

• Real WiFi, free [Hurtigruten, Viking] or at least part of the loyalty rewards program [Princess]

I would like to see good fast internet like DCL. The Wonder gave me 24Mbps on a quantity based wifi. I have no problems paying $89 for 1gb of data that lasts me an entire 7 day cruise.

DCL is looking at adding wifi texting for cruise passengers. This allows cruisers to use their own cellphones to keep in touch with one another.

I think on my Zuiderdam trip in 2013 had an old CRT for a TV. The world has gone HD and having an option to plug my laptop into the TV as a second screen would help.

More outlets! I need more outlets to charge my devices.... especially when there a family in the cabin.

Edited by xlxo

I certainly understand that people walking around on cell phones or talking on cell phones in the MDR is not conducive to a relaxing vacation.

But last year we crossed the Pacific on HAL, paid for an internet package, had no internet for several days... they said it was because we were near the equator. Now I read on the boards that the World Cruisers are having difficulties because the ship stack is blocking the signal.... Last year when we returned across the Pacific on Princess we never lost internet and it was fast enough to load the banking pages we needed to pay our bills.

When cruisers are gone for long periods they need decent internet to take care of essential needs away from home. The idea that a HAL ship used for a world cruise to only have one receiver, one that gets blocked by the stack, is unacceptable to me in this day and age.

We don't own a smart phone, we live in a mountainous place that doesn't have cell phone signal but we do use internet to pay bills when we are away. And it's pretty frustrating that we pay HALs prices for the service but we can't rely on HAL to provide the basics when I know other cruise lines can and do, sometimes even for free. m--

More outlets! I need more outlets to charge my devices.... especially when there a family in the cabin.

On the Viking ship we were on (built in 2012) we had 2 outlets in each nightstand and a small pull-out shelf to rest the devices on while they charged. Nice. And we had two outlets on each side of the long vanity shelf. Plus the usual shaver outlet in the bathroom. We didn't need to have power strips, no extra cords, no worry about fire hazards. Nice. If someone needed to plug in a CPAP unit they didn't have to crawl under the bed. Nice.

m--

Also calorie free chocolate donuts.

Try the Pain au Chocolat (Chocolate Croissants).

I had two for breakfast every morning on my recent 14-day cruise and lost 4 pounds!

Edited by ellieanne

HAL doesn't need to introduce any new technologies to the ships, as far as I'm concerned.

Ruth --- I so agree with you. I consider it good exercise to go down to the shore excursion's office to make a reservation and pickup my tickets. I also like to talk to a real person to make reservations for dinner.

The only thing I would like to see it that the internet would be high speed and I get my monies worth. Last cruise it took about two minutes just to log on to check my e-mail account. When I am on vacation I don't want or need a lot of internet time.

I literally never turn on the TV on a cruise. They could take them out and I wouldn't notice. I do like the idea of the photo kiosk and a kiosk to check your account.

One piece of technology I hope they *don't* install are giant screens on the Lido deck!

I literally never turn on the TV on a cruise. They could take them out and I wouldn't notice. I do like the idea of the photo kiosk and a kiosk to check your account.

You wouldn't like for that kiosk to be in your room? On Celebrity Solstice Class, you can view all your photos on your stateroom tv. In fact, when listening to a music channel, the screen saver is your photos scrolling across the screen.

Oh yes. We really like standing in line at the Purser's desk simply to get a hard copy of our statement account. Not.

What a waste of time, HAL personnel resources, not to mention the paper and ink that when we really would just like to view the on line transactions.

There is a reason that banks moved to ATMs years ago. perhaps HAL could learn from it.

I agree with Ruth on this one. I like having a break from high tech and I really don't need to spend more time with my face in front of a TV or computer display. Bring on the old school classy service for my cruise.

My hi-tech vote would be for ship web cams that we can watch while we are not cruising.

igraf

Tempting, sure. But not necessary.

I want low-tech, relaxed, quiet. I don't want any hustle & bustle going on around me while I cruise. Real life has enough of that already.

I like paper daily programs that I can take with me as a reminder; barring a printer in each cabin, a "virtual" program on the screen won't help me unless I then have the bother of writing things down on that little notepad.

Royal Caribbean ships have large, touch-screen monitors at each elevator lobby where you can see the day's schedule of activities and meeting places. There is also a "Map It" feature that shows you how to get to a venue from your present location. Very helpful.

Edited by jhannah

Where to start? A user friendly website that actually shows us which cabins are available where and for what price would be a great start. A land based booking system that is tied to the online system that is tied to the ship's system would also be great. That way I won't have to print off hard copies of everything to prove that I have actually paid for a certain product or service when those on the ship reply, "we have no record of that."

An onboard Point of Sale system that actually works and is more accurate than the current system. Interactive monitors in the cabins would be an additional bonus, and I love the idea of interactive monitors throughout the ship that can direct you ("map it") to your desired location.

Improved internet service that would actually allow those that need it to quickly access it.

For starters an interactive tv to check accounts, make reservations for alternative restaurants and excursions, order room service and movies that automatically come on your tv without a dvd, report cabin problems, etc. Anyone who prefers to go down to the front desk is of course free to do so and probably stand on line or hold on the phone and hope your room service was taken correctly. Other cruise lines have had this technology for years. ;)