getting from London to Southhampton

Cruiser25World

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess sailing from Southhampton on Sep 5th, 2015. I need to get from London to Southhampton and understand there are limos available. I also hear that sometimes limos do not show up at the airport even though I have booked them in advance.

Can anyone advise me on how to book reliable transportation to Southhampton?

Many thanks

Cruiser25World

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess sailing from Southhampton on Sep 5th, 2015. I need to get from London to Southhampton and understand there are limos available. I also hear that sometimes limos do not show up at the airport even though I have booked them in advance.

Many thanks

Cruiser25World

Welcome to Cruise Critic...

These guys are great....

http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2007185

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Many thanks

Cruiser25World

Here's another option, Smiths for Airports. They were very reliable and replied to inquiries quickly, plus their rate were very reasonable. They get good reviews on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

Have a Great Cruise!!

We have done this trip on two occasions and both times used the Princess shuttle, "transfer" option. The first time, we were met right outside the security area by Princess personnel who collected our luggage on a large trolley and then led us and other arriving passengers straight to the shuttle bus. Might have cost us less with an independent service, but it sure was convenient. The second time, we arrived a week ahead of the cruise but booked the transfer. After our week on our own, we returned to the airport, turned in the rental car and met the Princess rep inside the airport. No problem.

We used Smith's on 10-25-2014 from London to Southampton. Wonderful, smooth service. I was particularly impressed with how quickly my emails were answered in setting up the arrangements. We did not pay until we reached our destination, it was reasonably priced to the point that it was less than the price of train tickets for the four of us. We were upgraded to a mini-van at no extra charge. What a comfortable ride! We enjoyed the time with our driver, Trevor.

You can't go wrong with this company....

Many thanks

Cruiser25World

In September 2014, I stayed in London for 3-days (which I planned myself) prior to my cruise. I used this company to shuttle between London and Southampton with a stop at Stonehenge. Since I was never at Stonehenge, it worked out nicely. The shuttle picked me up at my hotel and there was only another couple with me. Although it was an early pick up, it was perfect because there wasn't much rush hour traffic and we arrived at Stonehenge before the large tour groups meaning we had the whole place virtually to ourselves for 2 hours! After that the driver took us to Southampton which was about 1 hour away, dropped us off right where they collect the luggage to board & then we were off to check-in. I would use the shuttle service again. At disembarkation, I used the Princess shuttle since I was going directly to the airport.

Here is the link, if you have any other questions or interested in some of the other activities which I did & booked prior to leaving home, please let me know & I will add it to this thread.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_from_london_shared_bus.html

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic,

Can I suggest that you visit the Britain section in the Ports forum and check on the discussions there.

Although you have had a some good responses here in the Princess forum, if you ask your question on the Port forum, you will get answers from both from people who live in the UK, know the area well and are aware of ALL the travel options, and from people who have experience of getting to Southampton when cruising with other companies.

I live in the area and could try to précis the wealth of information on the above forum, but if I did so I would only be offering you the small part of the wealth of information we have on hotels, transport from the airport, as well as the options available to you if you have a few spare days before your cruise, including staying in Central London, visiting the New Forest, Stonehenge, or even Highclere Castle, the location used for filming Downton Abbey.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Here's another option, Smiths for Airports. They were very reliable and replied to inquiries quickly, plus their rate were very reasonable. They get good reviews on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

Have a Great Cruise!!

Agree completely - we used them to/from Southampton in 2013 and would use them again. Our inbound flight was 45 minutes early and we were through customs and immigration in minutes (at 6 am) and the driver was waiting for us. Both our rides were in new Mercedes station wagons (for the 2 of us).

Edited by capriccio

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic,

Can I suggest that you visit the Britain section in the Ports forum and check on the discussions there.

Although you have had a some good responses here in the Princess forum, if you ask your question on the Port forum, you will get answers from both from people who live in the UK, know the area well and are aware of ALL the travel options, and from people who have experience of getting to Southampton when cruising with other companies.

I live in the area and could try to précis the wealth of information on the above forum, but if I did so I would only be offering you the small part of the wealth of information we have on hotels, transport from the airport, as well as the options available to you if you have a few spare days before your cruise, including staying in Central London, visiting the New Forest, Stonehenge, or even Highclere Castle, the location used for filming Downton Abbey.

Totally agree. Go to the European/Great Britain ports board. There is tons of info and recs there.

We used Smiths on 2 different trips and we're happy with service and cost.

Welcome to Cruise Critic...

These guys are great....

http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2007185

That's who we used roundtrip. On the way back they stopped for us for a few hours as well. Fabulous service!

Many thanks

Cruiser25World

We took National Express from Victoria Station. It was only two hours. 8:30 am to 10:30 am. 13 GBP for the two of us Very comfortable. Bought the tickets on line. You could probably get it from Airport as well.

We also used National Express and then stayed overnight before our cruise. There are several hotels 2 blocks from where you get off the Express bus. The next morning we took a taxi to the port. Some people walked, but it was quite a distance.

This past summer we took Smith's from Southampton to Central London with a stop at Stonehenge. Driver met us as we got off the ship, took our luggage and we were on our way in a few minutes. He had even sent a text message to make us aware that he was outside the terminal. Clean black sedan, and very courteous driver. We would certainly recommend their service.

SAS

We took National Express from Victoria Station. It was only two hours. 8:30 am to 10:30 am. 13 GBP for the two of us Very comfortable. Bought the tickets on line. You could probably get it from Airport as well.

I did the same. Very satisfied with service, and frequent departures.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/london-victoria-station/departures-arrivals/

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/VIC/SOU/020215/1615/dep#outwardJump

Edited by Stevesan

In September 2014, I stayed in London for 3-days (which I planned myself) prior to my cruise. I used this company to shuttle between London and Southampton with a stop at Stonehenge. Since I was never at Stonehenge, it worked out nicely. The shuttle picked me up at my hotel and there was only another couple with me. Although it was an early pick up, it was perfect because there wasn't much rush hour traffic and we arrived at Stonehenge before the large tour groups meaning we had the whole place virtually to ourselves for 2 hours! After that the driver took us to Southampton which was about 1 hour away, dropped us off right where they collect the luggage to board & then we were off to check-in. I would use the shuttle service again. At disembarkation, I used the Princess shuttle since I was going directly to the airport.

Here is the link, if you have any other questions or interested in some of the other activities which I did & booked prior to leaving home, please let me know & I will add it to this thread.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_from_london_shared_bus.html

This is what we did as well though we had about 6 other people from other hotels on our bus. Our driver stopped about halfway there for a bathroom/coffee break and provided great commentary on the area and Stonehenge before arrival. Once there he went in and secured everyone's tickets so we could bypass the lines. Once at the port, he helped unload everyone's baggage and we hopped right into the very long check in line. Was like a nice private excursion before the hustle and bustle of trying to get on board.

The train from Gatwick airport to Southampton Central is pretty simple. There is a train station right in the airport with a number of choices for departures, but there is a direct train at 9 minutes past every hour. Cost is a little over 15 British pounds, and it takes about two hours. There is a ticket counter in airport arrivals.

You can catch a taxi at the Southampton train station to the pier or a local hotel, depending on your itinerary. Last fall the taxi cost 8 British pounds including tip.

From Heathrow airport it is a little more complicated (you have to catch a bus first) but still easily doable. British trains are inexpensive and reliable. My wife and I have made this journey from Gatwick to Southampton Central three times, and we'll certainly do it again.

There are very good bus services from every major UK airport into the nearest city and onwards to rail and port connections - regular and reasonably priced.

Buses are modern coaches with free wifi and electrical sockets for recharging iPhones etc.

As mentioned, Gatwick has a rail terminal right there.

No need to get expensive private cars.

Check out the specific CC site, or trawl the internet.