Why not just answer the question?

travelmatron

There are two threads this morning with simple questions, and among the responses to each are directions to go the NCL web site. On other threads I've noticed responses with instructions on how to use the search tool. Why not just answer or ignore the question? Is the implied criticism of the question really helpful or necessary?

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Sorry, couldn't resist:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

GeezerCouple

I don't know the threads to which you are referring, but I suspect that what prompts the replies like that is that there are questions that are asked and answered over and over here, and/or are answered quite clearly on the cruise line's web site, but some folks start threads without first trying to find the answer themselves. They'd rather ask a zillion people than spend a moment doing their own research.

I see this daily on my neighborhood list serv, which has several thousand people on it. Someone will send an email out asking, for example, whether the weekly trash collection schedule has changed because of a Monday holiday, when the answer is right there on our city's web site. Every single time there's a Monday holiday. The sender has a computer, she could have gone onto the city's site, but no, go ahead and ask several thousand people.

After a while, some people just get tired of other folks who clearly have a computer and access to the internet not spending a minute to find a very find-able piece of information.

There are two threads this morning with simple questions, and among the responses to each are directions to go the NCL web site. On other threads I've noticed responses with instructions on how to use the search tool. Why not just answer or ignore the question? Is the implied criticism of the question really helpful or necessary?

Maybe your answer is in the FAQS :D

I agree with you on this; I ask myself this all of the time! IMO the search function isn't very helpful and quite often the information is old. Also, the NCL web site isn't great either. There may be someone on CC that knows; this is a blog after all that is about having conversations.

There are no wrong/bad questions even though some here choose to reprimand (that is how it comes across) those that do ask them; very inconsiderate at times.

I agree, please move on if you have the inkling to reprimand. :)

Happy and safe cruising all!!:D

Edited by Cruisercl

Without knowing which questions your are referring to, it is hard to answer or reply to your comments.

I often refer the poster to "search" or "FAQ", but usually answer the question as well. I also point out that they can get BETTER answers by doing a search. The reason for that is the answers they get here are only from the CURRENT active group.

I really do not understand when someone asks a question that was just asked and the answer is right there in front of them. They do not have to search. They do not have to go to another website. They just have to read the current list of questions/topics. Pretty simple stuff.

...IMO the search function isn't very helpful and quite often the information is old. Also, the NCL web site isn't great either. There may be someone on CC that knows; this is a blog after all that is about having conversations.

There are no wrong/bad questions even though some here choose to reprimand (that is how it comes across) those that do ask them; very inconsiderate at times.

I agree. Been trying to find out how much a bucket of beers cost. A lot of the posts were from 2009. Wish there was sort by feature in the search.

I agree. Been trying to find out how much a bucket of beers cost. A lot of the posts were from 2009. Wish there was sort by feature in the search.

6 for the price of 5 + 15% gratuity. e.g. Becks is $5.25 per bottle (other beers are a similar price)

As a general observation, if a poster who asks a 'FAQ' is directed to NCL's FAQs they should find answers to many other questions as well (and ones they probably hadn't thought of as well).

I agree with you on this; I ask myself this all of the time! IMO the search function isn't very helpful and quite often the information is old. Also, the NCL web site isn't great either. There may be someone on CC that knows; this is a blog after all that is about having conversations.

Well said. :)

Agreed I can't stand when people respond in a rude or condescending manner. This is all supposed to be fun... 😜

I agree there is no need to be rude but at the same time there is zero reason why one can't use the NCL website and the FAQ section to find answers to simple questions like:

How much is the DSC?

What's included in the UBP/UDP?

What documentation do I need?

What is the phone number for........?

What entertainment is on the Breakaway?

Agreed I can't stand when people respond in a rude or condescending manner. This is all supposed to be fun... 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. I suppose some seem to think others have to follow the rules they think apply, like there is such a thing. Maybe I can find it in the FAQ section. :rolleyes:

I'm new to CC so if someone points me to a place to fish I'm actually grateful, not offended and it wouldn't be condescending toward me.

For example, I asked a question about smoking locations. If someone had replied with a map or ncl.com list of those spots that would have been cool and I would have simply cut and pasted the info into the OneNote book I'm building for the trip.

My question was adequately answered, but a "click here" would have been acceptable to me as well.

Amen!!!

Agree with the OP.

And yeah, maybe the answers are in FAQ's, or stickies, or anywhere else.

The point of the cruiscritic message boards is to create a community of like minded people to discuss all things cruise related. Even if it is something that's been answered 100 times, doesn't mean the 101st person to ask it is an idiot.

They say there's no such questions as a dumb question, but apparently around here it is.

Maybe someone finds it easier to simply ask a question, and come back an hour later and find some helpful cruiser gave you the exact answer you wanted, in a place you know where to find it, instead of having to ruffle through a bunch of other threads to find your specific answer.

If I want to know about tipping, maybe I don't feel like scrolling through cabin preferences, or favorite foods, or what time ships leave port on embarkation day.

In the spirit of these boards and this community, let's all try a bit harder to make it a place people feel comfortable to ask a question, and if it's something that's been asked already and you don't want to help, simply pass it by instead of kicking your fellow cruiser in his junk for making a simple inquiry.

**steps off the soap box***

Maybe new people don't know about the search feature

Part of the problem with search features (same as Help functions for software) is knowing what words to type in them. It takes a certain amount of knowledge to be able to use those tools effectively.

I agree with this 100%. I'm a regular forum contributor to Trip Advisor, and (at least on my state's forum) people are generally very patient with newbies, and will answer the same question hundreds or even thousands of times. (I sometimes marvel at this, TBH!) Yes, we do also point people to the Top Questions, and sometimes we'll tell them how to do a search, but people generally just answer the question. (Although, I do draw the line at the "How many miles is it from Los Angeles to Phoenix?" type questions! :rolleyes: Those get a Google maps link from me.)

I love Cruise Critic, and lurked here for a long time before posting, but I avoid asking questions, to be honest. And yes, the search function on CC is NOT very good. I have spent hours researching for my upcoming trip, and have been driven crazy by the number of unhelpful or unrelated posts that come up when I do a search. Sometimes, you're just tired of searching, and would like an answer.

And don't even get me started on NCL's website! I'm good at searching, and usually very good at navigating websites and finding info, but NCL's site makes me want to tear my hair out.

So, from a "newbie", I too appreciate your patience when asking questions. :D

Maybe your answer is in the FAQS :D

Hey! Turns out that your answer is very accurate! :D

From the FAQ:

Browse Before You Post

Browse a topic
first
to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members.
Give that a try first.
Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

...Who would have guessed! :rolleyes: