Gratuities

Non issue to non drinkers. We have no problem with the increase.

So if you buy Refreshment or Replenish packages it won't bother you to pay more?

These new packages are just over a year old. In that time they gave you the total price from the beginning, then they gave you a "base rate" plus the tip (which ended up being more than before), and now they are raising it to 18%?

But so many people say that service has actually decreased since the start of the packages. Why are they increasing the gratuity? Crazy.

Non issue to non drinkers. We have no problem with the increase.

Slightly selfish way of looking at it.

Yes, you cold argue not much of an increase. Yet there so many added increases creeping in. People often claiming the service and what is dropping as it is..

Edited by Tark

Not really. If I never use the spa, it doesn't matter to me whether they raise their rates. It doesn't affect me. Only those using the service have to decide if it is still worth it.

In the same way, if they raise tips 3% on a package I will never use, it doesn't affect me. Only those buying the package have to decide if it is still worth it.

I wonder if the on board gratuity will also go up to 18%?

I just got off Majesty yesterday (Feb 9) and yes it went up, I bought a souvenir glass and the gratuity added was 18% (drink packages do not include souvenir cups, so while the booze in it was pre-paid, I had to pay $1.87 for the cup plus gratuity). Also, the spa has been at a 20% gratuity level for a while now on the ships.

Edited by wolfcathorse

Yes, you cold argue not much of an increase. Yet there so many added increases creeping in. People often claiming the service and what is dropping as it is..

Its the typical "it doesnt affect me so I could not care less" attitude that abounds on this board. Right, wrong or indifferent, this place is full of it.

There are lots of things I do not and can not use. I dont want to see a charge for them though. With that attitude, I guess I could say I could not care less if they charge 50.00 for 1 minute on the Flowrider. I cant use it so I dont care :D

Would people not care if they started charging us 20.00 per person per day for tips when service is not getting better? The daily gratuities certainly affect everyone except those that totally remove them.

Just a thought.

Edited by ryano

I bet its coming for sure. Wonder how many will care here then?

It is going up over at NCL, so I expect RCI to be in lock-step.

Also, note that in November I went on Resort World Superfast ship out of Miami to Bimini. Resort World is owned by Genting, the same company with a majority stake in NCL. The gratuity for onboard purchases was 18%. I knew right then that the rest of the cruise industry would be upping it's service charges.