Open class experience

Redtravel

I once had a friend tell me something I always (try to) remember:

If I can be offended, I will be.

With that attitude, I don't look for things to offend me, although sometimes they do find me.

Our last cruise was 14 nights long. We became friends with a few couples and met lots of people.

One couple made it a point to tell us about their status. And their drinks coupons.

And their special place for breakfast in the AM. And internet and laundry...you know the drill.

To which we just smiled and nodded. And avoided.

Another dear couple mentioned that they did the sail away from the heli-pad.

We drilled them and finally got it out of them that they were Elite Plus.

Now those are some folks I could hang with.

Bottom line, I let them talk and then just avoid them.

I guess you have not watched the new generation of Entitled American Television Shows, if you had, you would see where this new American behaviour is coming from and what it is teaching up and comers.

I was not meant to offend, only to shed light on the new standards of "Class" in the American society. Money does not buy class, unfortunately.

Cruise Critic is a global message board and not everyone booking suites is American. If your comment was a joke, perhaps you need to consider how it would come across to someone who has been lucky enough not to have to watch US television. I know that, coming from a different culture, I always try my best not to make comments that others may find offensive. Better still, try not to tar everyone with the same brush out of some misplaced jealousy or because you have experienced bad behaviour from some of your own countrymen.

Cruise Critic is a global message board and not everyone booking suites is American. If your comment was a joke, perhaps you need to consider how it would come across to someone who has been lucky enough not to have to watch US television. I know that, coming from a different culture, I always try my best not to make comments that others may find offensive. Better still, try not to tar everyone with the same brush out of some misplaced jealousy or because you have experienced bad behaviour from some of your own countrymen.

Actually I cannot take credit for the Entitled line. That came from our friends traveling in our group that happen to come from the UK, and who will be traveling with us once again on the Adventure. It was they who said they hoped not to meet anymore of "Those Entitled Amercian" kind, and using their eternal British humor, tell the story which I merely repeated, and was a parody on The New Entitled American Traveler who many believe they are as wealthy as Kim Kardashian, who by the way, has a whole lot of class, it's all Low Class, but she has a lot of it.

I want to comment on the continued theme of voting with wallets. I am one who has spoken out on some of these topics. I don't disagree with all, but I do think the 'pay to play' scenarios are getting a bit out of hand. But this post is not about that so I won't elaborate. My point is that even if there are some things I do not like about the current trends, there are a few facts to consider. First, as has been said, most other cruise lines are doing the same thing. So where do I go with my wallet (other than to a luxury line which I cannot afford)? Second, even if there are some things I don't like about Celebrity's trends, I still like their cruise line more than other similarly priced for the service and food and general quality. And last, my only option then, is to not cruise at all. Seems kind of like cutting my nose off to spite my face, doesn't it? That seems foolish to say the least.

So instead I use avenues like these boards to convey what I don't like (and often convey what I DO like) about the cruise line in the hopes someone is listening.

I have only been reading the Celebrity boards since January 2014 and have not yet sailed. I have no experience of Celebrity and my decision to try them is as much as a result of their marketing campaigns and a delightful couple we met whilst on holiday in Seattle who raved about them. However in the last year what has struck me is the dissatisfaction which comes through from many that have sailed with the line for many cruises. These have ranged from cut backs particularly to Concierge staterooms, the absence of flowers, changes to general amenities and items which were previously free becoming chargeable. The new CEO has addressed items such as reinstating the turndown chocolates but there does seem to be a fundamental shift in the delivery of the cruise product and this is industry wide. From an economic perspective and their financials, the balance seems to be in Celebrity's favour with the continued expansion of the cruising base amongst first timers versus the attrition of those dissatisfied with the product (certainly that is my perspective when I read the Princess boards). Therefore where does this disconnect between the current experience of those who have been loyal to the cruise line and the product the company seems to be delivering, leave the experienced cruising public.

As regards voting with one's wallet. My own natural reaction in these circumstances is to vote with my wallet but I do recognise that it is not for everyone. Therefore my comment was one of curiosity to the wider CC audience was that of what are loyal cruisers to do?

I guess you have not watched the new generation of Entitled American Television Shows, if you had, you would see where this new American behaviour is coming from and what it is teaching up and comers.

I was not meant to offend, only to shed light on the new standards of "Class" in the American society. Money does not buy class, unfortunately.

I am not sure what television shows that you are talking about?

Perhaps those are the shows that I do not watch.

Unfortunately Americans who don't watch entitlement type shows are still exposed to this new frame of mind. The sense of entitlement is everywhere around us. We can thank helicopter parents for the mindset. To me it does not offend per se. It's annoying.

I once had a friend tell me something I always (try to) remember:

If I can be offended, I will be.

With that attitude, I don't look for things to offend me, although sometimes they do find me.

Our last cruise was 14 nights long. We became friends with a few couples and met lots of people.

One couple made it a point to tell us about their status. And their drinks coupons.

And their special place for breakfast in the AM. And internet and laundry...you know the drill.

To which we just smiled and nodded. And avoided.

Another dear couple mentioned that they did the sail away from the heli-pad.

We drilled them and finally got it out of them that they were Elite Plus.

Now those are some folks I could hang with.

Bottom line, I let them talk and then just avoid them.

Muushka:

I remember seeing and hearing people like that on cruises 20 years ago. Sort of throws that whole silly entitled Americans comments who watch entitlement shows out the window.

Edited by dkjretired

Unfortunately Americans who don't watch entitlement type shows are still exposed to this new frame of mind. The sense of entitlement is everywhere around us. We can thank helicopter parents for the mindset. To me it does not offend per se. It's annoying.

Agree

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

cruiseguys,

Sorry, but I don't see it your way on this one. I have not experienced the "I am better than you" attitude.

Sue is right.

And I have never, never seen anyone stand in the Buffet and say I should get served first because (take your choice), I'm in a suite, elite plus or Elite. It should also be pointed out that since this writer brings them up, the Kardashians are perhaps the most hated family in the US by all surveys.

Therefore where does this disconnect between the current experience of those who have been loyal to the cruise line and the product the company seems to be delivering, leave the experienced cruising public.

As regards voting with one's wallet. My own natural reaction in these circumstances is to vote with my wallet but I do recognise that it is not for everyone. Therefore my comment was one of curiosity to the wider CC audience was that of what are loyal cruisers to do?

I think some just want things to be like they were in day's past, when they first started cruising. They want the white gloved waiters, the flowers, etc., and for them that is obviously a very, very important part of their cruising experience and of value to them. To others, like me, and many newer cruisers, we enjoy the cruising experience and that is what it is really all about and we really don't give a rat's behind if the waiters have gloves (and, yes, I did experience this in my first few Celebrity cruises) or if there are flowers in my Concierge Class stateroom (and, yes, I have experience this on Celebrity), because we think these things are not important to our cruising experience. For me, cruising is about seeing places I've never been to, going back to places I enjoyed, meeting people from all around the world, having dinner with fun dinner companions, listening to the sounds of the ocean, etc., not that there are flowers in my cabin or unlimited q-tips or chocolates on my pillow at night, because all those things I can get sitting in a hotel right here in Arizona.

It really boils down to what people want and expect from a cruise. Just because I might not think that unlimited q-tips are an issue, it doesn't mean that I think someone who thinks it is the end of the world not to have them is wrong. It is just that we are all different people and have different wants.

I've cruised on luxury liner, premium lines, mass market lines and expedition lines and have had the best of the best as far as amenities on some cruises and have had cruises were there were no hardly any amenities at all and you know what, I wouldn't trade any of them for the world, because I had wonderful experiences on all of them.

BTW, I speak with my wallet. If I don't feel that a company is up to my standards or their customer service sucks or they have had too many cutbacks/changes, instead of complaining, I just put my wallet in my purse and go find something I like better. But that is just me!

I hope you do sail with Celebrity, it is a great cruise line.

Edited by NLH Arizona

BTW, I speak with my wallet. If I don't feel that a company is up to my standards or their customer service sucks or they have had too many cutbacks/changes, instead of complaining, I just put my wallet in my purse and go find something I like better. But that is just me!

I hope you do sail with Celebrity, it is a great cruise line.

There is a thread currently running on these boards where the OP needed to talk to someone at Celebrity about getting a Passages coupon.Claimed that lines were so long at Future Cruises on their recent Constellation cruise that they were unable to purchase one. I was on that cruise and they are quite right about the lines. Just yeaterday an investment company raised their estimates of RCL earnings based on a better than 3% increase in prices and strong advanced bookings. The ships are leaving full and I've heard complaints from fellow cruisers on how difficult it is to get a top Suite. Guess that people are indeed voting with their wallets and RCL and Celebrity are winning the popular vote.

Edited by Orator

There is a thread currently running on these boards where the OP needed to talk to someone at Celebrity about getting a Passages coupon.Claimed that lines were so long at Future Cruises on their recent Constellation cruise that they were unable to purchase one. I was on that cruise and they are quite right about the lines. Just yeaterday an investment company raised their estimates of RCL earnings based on a better than 3% increase in prices and strong advanced bookings. The ships are leaving full and I've heard complints from fellow cruisers on how difficult it is to get a top Suite. Guess that people are indeed voting with their wallets and RCL and Celebrity are winning the popular vote.
Hey, I vote with my wallet and that is why I sail on Celebrity, but if it ever got to the point where I am complaining about a lot of what Celebrity is doing, then I'll just walk that wallet away.

On my January cruise, the cruise consultants (they had three on duty) were always busy as well, I was glad that I was able to purchase another cruise with them on the last night of the sailing, because I got great perks.

And I have never, never seen anyone stand in the Buffet and say I should get served first because (take your choice), I'm in a suite, elite plus or Elite. It should also be pointed out that since this writer brings them up, the Kardashians are perhaps the most hated family in the US by all surveys.

And they just resigned with the network for $40 Million!:eek: Man, I need to really ramp up my S.O.B. quotient.;)

As for this entitlement stuff people keep talking about, I've never encountered it on Celebrity or any other cruise ship. I've encountered it on land more than a few times but not to any great degree. If people pay more hard earned cash (or even not so hard earned cash), they are entitled to more. No big deal.

Years ago, before Celebrity, I cruised on ships that had class distinctions with different dining rooms depending on your type of cabin. Menus and service varied. Deck areas and chairs were reserved for you. Your name was posted on a deck chair. That was the only chair on the deck that you could use. Less expensive cabins got chairs in poor locations near smoke stacks and in areas without shade. Often there were hundreds of empty chairs that I could not use. Deck stewards told you to leave if you dared to sit on a different chair. Some venues were off limits to people in less expensive cabins. Formal night was every night. White tie for the more expensive cabins and black tie for the others. It was elegant and expensive. The more you spent, the more areas of the ship were open to you. For people who spent less, there were many closed areas.There was no loyalty program. There weren't many cruise lines competing for customers. Cruising was an experience that cost a lot of money. In the 80s, a lot of new cruise lines entered the cruising market. With more ships sailing, cruise fares became more affordable. When Royal Caribbean started sailing with no class restrictions, I jumped at the opportunity to sail. I loved being able to sit down anywhere on a deck chair. The entire ship was open. Everyone enjoyed the same food, shows, towels, etc. If you chose to buy a more expensive cabin, you had more space or a more desirable location. Evening dress code was more relaxed. Only a few nights were formal. The new type of one class cruising attracted a lot of people. Soon, more new cruise lines were sailing with one class including Celebrity. Many of the older cruise lines with class distinctions were out of business. Now, after more than 35 years of no class distinctions, many areas of the ship are now restricted. I cannot go to Michael's Club unless I am Zenith or sail in a suite. I cannot eat in Blu unless I sail in Aqua Class. Seats in the main show room are reserved on formal nights. The new suite dining room will also be another restricted area. When will I be restricted to my one deck chair? Each time I sail on Celebrity, I am reminded of those old cruise lines. There seems to be more class distinctions. I love the open ship concept with unreserved deck chairs. Most of the class system cruise lines are out of business. Bring back the open class experience.

It's not class these days just money, no different to booking an airline seat and paying more for a better service.

The Suite/AQ class system is a necessity if Celebrity wants to continue to attract the higher end cruise customer and raise prices.

Seabourn has three new ships, and is building two more.

Oceania has three new ships and is also building two more.

Regent is building a new ship

Viking is entering the market with two new premium ships.

The competition in the premium/ luxury cruise market is increasing, Celebrity is trying to favorably position itself....Luminae, Blu, Michaels club etc should help.

The Suite/AQ class system is a necessity if Celebrity wants to continue to attract the higher end cruise customer and raise prices.

The competition in the premium/ luxury cruise market is increasing, Celebrity is trying to favorably position itself....Luminae, Blu, Michaels club etc should help.

And Richard Branson will be entering the cruise market with 2 ships. Can't wait to see what his ship is all about...amazing I would guess.

"We plan to shake up the cruise industry," Branson said, "and deliver a holiday that customers will absolutely love."

And Richard Branson will be entering the cruise market with 2 ships. "[/i]

Two brand new cruise ships apparently! I wonder where he'll get those - are there two cruise ships being built they might get hold of :D

Not to mention competing with the other mainstream lines such as the Haven on NCL.

2 out of our last 3 cruises have been in S2's and we loved them. Since we choose to only cruise once a year because of our cats, we can book higher end suites. Our next 3 cruises are in CS's or RS's because of the new perks being offered. Without them, we would be happy in a sky suite.

Muushka:

I remember seeing and hearing people like that on cruises 20 years ago. Sort of throws that whole silly entitled Americans comments who watch entitlement shows out the window.

You're right, except I wish this was 20 years ago, it wasn't even 20 weeks ago!

I wish I could say that there are no people who watch entitlement shows.

But I would be in that river in Egypt.

I personally do not choose to engage in the entitlement mentality, probably because we're not entitled.;)

You're right, except I wish this was 20 years ago, it wasn't even 20 weeks ago!

I wish I could say that there are no people who watch entitlement shows.

But I would be in that river in Egypt.

I personally do not choose to engage in the entitlement mentality, probably because we're not entitled.;)

I don't worry about entitlement shows but worry much more about all the reality shows that have dumbed down our society.