Why "Fixed Seating"?

Vict0riann

In the "old days" when everyone had fixed dinner times, we always seemed to sit on the lower level of the dining room, anyway. Do you prefer to sit "upstairs" because of the service, food, companions, or what? We find the fixed times a nuisance, and prefer to arrive when we want - usually 7 to 7:30. I suppose the fixed seatings coincide better with the showtimes, but other than that, what do you find better about sitting with the same people at the same time every evening?

There are advantages to both. It depends on what you want.

When traveling with friends, fixed seating is easier to manage. I like getting to know my wait staff and them know me. Although you can make reservations each evening in AYW dining to get the servers you like, who wants to call down every day to reserve a spot? I don't.

... who wants to call down every day to reserve a spot? I don't.
On our Dec cruise on the Nieuw A after the 2nd night they made the reservation automatically and sent us a reminder card every day for the rest of the cruise. Before that cruise, we only had to renew it every 3 days.

Edited by jtl513

In the "old days" when everyone had fixed dinner times, we always seemed to sit on the lower level of the dining room, anyway. Do you prefer to sit "upstairs" because of the service, food, companions, or what? We find the fixed times a nuisance, and prefer to arrive when we want - usually 7 to 7:30. I suppose the fixed seatings coincide better with the showtimes, but other than that, what do you find better about sitting with the same people at the same time every evening?

We like having one commitment each day :) That's our dinner at a fixed time. We enjoy the camaraderie that develops at a dinner table of 6 or 8 with fixed dining. We like having the same stewards each night.

I tried anytime on one cruise with friends. The wine was a problem, the service was a problem. Until our final evening onboard we never "clicked" with any of our table mates. Had conversations with others on that cruise, and their experiences were all similar. One couple had a fist fight break out at their open dining table one night :eek: On the final night of the cruise we finally had a fun table but it didn't offset the other nights' experiences.

We used to love fixed seatings and developed some lifelong friendships at those tables. But then the cruise lines started offering multiple dining venues and many folks take advantage of those opportunities. So one day we took a 7 day cruise on RCI, asked for our usual large table (we love to socialize at dinner) and got a table of 8. The other 6 never came to dinner (not once). The Maitre d found out that they simply preferred to dine in the Lido buffet every night. And then on other cruises we might have a table of 6 or 8, and on some nights there would only be 4 since somebody decided to dine wherever. So we finally started doing "Anytime Dining," "Select Dining," etc etc (depending on the cruise line) and always asking to share large tables. We now always will have a full table, meet lots of interesting folks, and often form our own dining groups during the cruise. It is a win-win. I should add that HAL is kind of strange in that they only offer Fixed Sittings on the longer Grand Cruises. So when we are on a ship for several months, we are going to dine with the same folks night after night. Yes, it can be fun, but there are times when variety is nice.

Hank

Travelling as a family of 4 it is really nice to know that a table is waiting and where that table is. The early fixed time syncs perfectly with Club Hal opening at 7:00. The children can't wait until late seating and our one experience with open dining on another line was just a disaster each and every night.

We have tried both and greatly prefer fixed seating for many reasons. We like to have the same wait staff who know our preferences such as we like lemon in our water so a plate is there every night. It is interesting to hear about home life from the wait staff, see pictures of their families, find out the must have places to go in a port, especially when cruising in Indonesia. We like to develop friendships with tablemates and hear about their adventures, talk about what they are doing in the next port, find out what they suggest or make suggestions for port activities, share experiences and tidbits of information. We have been incredibly lucky in tablemates - ok, there was 1 exception but that is a whole other multi-chapter story ...... The fixed seating is about our only 'must do' and does add 1 modicum of structure to the cruise.

We do know some people on Grand cruises that ask that they change tablemates for each of the major segments to prevent boredom, issues, etc. but we prefer to have the same tablemates throughout the cruise.

It is nice that there is both fixed and open seating on most cruises so everyone can have what they want.

We used to love fixed seatings and developed some lifelong friendships at those tables. But then the cruise lines started offering multiple dining venues and many folks take advantage of those opportunities. So one day we took a 7 day cruise on RCI, asked for our usual large table (we love to socialize at dinner) and got a table of 8. The other 6 never came to dinner (not once). The Maitre d found out that they simply preferred to dine in the Lido buffet every night. And then on other cruises we might have a table of 6 or 8, and on some nights there would only be 4 since somebody decided to dine wherever. So we finally started doing "Anytime Dining," "Select Dining," etc etc (depending on the cruise line) and always asking to share large tables. We now always will have a full table, meet lots of interesting folks, and often form our own dining groups during the cruise. It is a win-win. I should add that HAL is kind of strange in that they only offer Fixed Sittings on the longer Grand Cruises. So when we are on a ship for several months, we are going to dine with the same folks night after night. Yes, it can be fun, but there are times when variety is nice.

Hank

I have to say this is similar to my feelings on this matter. I used to think "Oh, I want fixed seating so I get to know the other people at our table and the waiters and they get to know what I like." Then I went on a cruise where we never knew who would show up at dinner. Some would go to the alternate venue or maybe the buffet. Who knew? Then lately I find I usually don't want a 1.5-2 hour dinner service myself. I'm not a dessert person, but think I have to wait until everyone is done before leaving the table. UGH! So I don't reserve fixed dining time anymore so it's available for those who actually want it. If I go to the dining room, I like to do it at the time I'm ready to eat. And if that evening I choose to go to the buffet, or Pinnacle, or have room service, I know I didn't take a fixed dining spot that I'm not using.

I suppose the fixed seatings coincide better with the showtimes, but other than that, what do you find better about sitting with the same people at the same time every evening?

Nothing. :)

Seriously, I see no benefit to it. With flex dining, we can get the same servers if we want (actually, we usually do), the same table if we like it, and we can schedule our dinner around our schedule. For instance, our last 2 European cruises had late port departure times. We love to watch the sail-aways and have extra time on shore if desired. Same will be true for our upcoming Alaska cruise. Having flexible dining allows us to get what we want out of our vacation.

As for eating with the same people every night, . . . the last two times we had fixed seating took care of that desire for us. Both times, we were at a table for 6 with 2 other couples that were traveling together. While not terrible, it did feel a bit like we we were intruding on their dinner party. However, on one of those cruises, the two couples spent every night complaining about this and about that, nothing positive and certainly not our cup of tea. We could have moved, but we are ones not to complain and stuck with it. Of course, those 2 couples were absent the last night of the cruise (back in the days where you hand delivered your gratuity to the servers). Our server that night had a rough night, as one of his other tables was completely missing too. It was not a fun experience.

We will take flex dining anytime.

Edited by brentp

I prefer fixed dinning for the same reasons other people have shared. It may not be a big deal to some people, but, I really enjoy getting to know the wait staff, on two cruises our waiter and my DW shed tears on the last night. We had a lot of fun and it was sad that it was coming to an end. I've been on other cruise lines and they are ok, but HAL is always something special to me. It's like the staff likes you being on the ship and they enjoy seeing you.

Hank

Exactly - on longer itineraries it might make sense to "reshuffle" fixed seating tables. And, it is certainly the case that the introduction of so many alternatives often means that fixed seating is much more hit-or-miss. We still request "traditional" and see how the group seems. If we have compatible mates who seem inclined to dine MDR on a fairly regular basis (which happens as often as not) we will stick with our original place. Otherwise, we may ask to be reassigned or simply opt for "anytime" (or whatever it is called). Like much else in life - it seems best to play things by ear

To each their own. We always have late seating at a large table, 6 or 8. We enjoy our table mates, we've been lucky so far & have always had a fun group. We have tried any time dining asking for a large table so could meet other cruisers, they never brought any body over to our table so didn't get to meet any body else, not a fun cruise, we'll stick with fixed.

Allan & Marlane

One couple had a fist fight break out at their open dining table one night :eek:

Good Lord! A fist fight? That must have been an interesting night! At the very least you can't say you were bored on THAT night! :p

We used to love fixed seatings and developed some lifelong friendships at those tables. But then the cruise lines started offering multiple dining venues and many folks take advantage of those opportunities. So one day we took a 7 day cruise on RCI, asked for our usual large table (we love to socialize at dinner) and got a table of 8. The other 6 never came to dinner (not once). The Maitre d found out that they simply preferred to dine in the Lido buffet every night. And then on other cruises we might have a table of 6 or 8, and on some nights there would only be 4 since somebody decided to dine wherever. So we finally started doing "Anytime Dining," "Select Dining," etc etc (depending on the cruise line) and always asking to share large tables. We now always will have a full table, meet lots of interesting folks, and often form our own dining groups during the cruise. It is a win-win.

This is exactly the reason why we dislike fixed seating. Same thing has happened to us. The last time we did fixed seating we had a table for 8, but never once was it full...on several nights it was just one other couple (who didn't speak much English), and on one night it was just us. We truly disliked sitting at this huge, mostly empty table...it just felt awkward. But with open seating, you ask to share a large table, and you can be assured it will be full.

I do recognize some of the benefits of fixed seating, but on HAL the times are just horrendous! I simply am not hungry at 5:30...and I don't like having to rush to get ready for dinner. But 8:00 is too late, and then by the time dinner is over, not much time is left to enjoy the evening festivities. 7:00 is perfect for us, and so we will do open seating and make 7:00 reservations for every night.

To each their own. We always have late seating at a large table, 6 or 8. We enjoy our table mates, we've been lucky so far & have always had a fun group. We have tried any time dining asking for a large table so could meet other cruisers, they never brought any body over to our table so didn't get to meet any body else, not a fun cruise, we'll stick with fixed.

Allan & Marlane

Yikes...really? This is my first time on HAL, and we assumed they handled open seating like everyone other cruise line we've been on that offers it...if you ask to share a large table, they fill it.

As I commented above, that's one of the reasons we prefer open seating to fixed seating...the fact that with fixed seating we often ended up at a large, but mostly empty, table. We were hoping to avoid that with open seating! Oh well...I guess we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

Yikes...really? This is my first time on HAL, and we assumed they handled open seating like everyone other cruise line we've been on that offers it...if you ask to share a large table, they fill it.

As I commented above, that's one of the reasons we prefer open seating to fixed seating...the fact that with fixed seating we often ended up at a large, but mostly empty, table. We were hoping to avoid that with open seating! Oh well...I guess we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

My experience on three HAL cruises is that if you go to open dining you can expect to be seated with others. I asked once if there was a 2 top available and was told "no." But when I've been asked "Are you willing to be seated with others" and said "yes" I was always seated with a full 6 or 8 top.

My experience on three HAL cruises is that if you go to open dining you can expect to be seated with others. I asked once if there was a 2 top available and was told "no." But when I've been asked "Are you willing to be seated with others" and said "yes" I was always seated with a full 6 or 8 top.

Ahhh! Good to know. Thanks! I feel better now. :)

We were on the Ryndam last month. People on the open seating had long waits to get a table and many were upset. We were on early seating at a 4-top. No one else ever showed up. Dinners took a long time but the food was better than we expected. There was one evening that we couldn't make it in time, so we ate in the Lido. We saw people with beepers in the Explorers Lounge waiting to go to the Pinnacle Grill so didn't want to do that.

Ahhh! Good to know. Thanks! I feel better now. :)

Glad I could help.

I don't know what happened in the PP experience, but I think the dining room wants to seat you with others.

It really makes the most sense to fill up a table of six or eight then provide service to the entire table. I tend to show up 6-7:30 p.m. and there seem to be lots of other people looking for dinner around that time.

We were on the Ryndam last month. People on the open seating had long waits to get a table and many were upset. We were on early seating at a 4-top. No one else ever showed up. Dinners took a long time but the food was better than we expected. There was one evening that we couldn't make it in time, so we ate in the Lido. We saw people with beepers in the Explorers Lounge waiting to go to the Pinnacle Grill so didn't want to do that.

Wait...I thought you made reservations for open seating? Perhaps the people with the long waits didn't make reservations? Or are you made to wait even if you made reservations?

Beepers to get into Pinnacle? Do they do that even if you've made reservations? (Which I thought you HAD to for Pinnacle...)

I'm confused...what's the point of reservations if you have to wait? :confused:

We don't bother with reservations, unless we have plans to eat with friends, and never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes in any case. One time the maitre d' told DH he had a very special table for us, and we were seated at a two-top! DH was not happy - he really enjoys meeting all the different people on the ship. That is his social time!

My last few cruises have been mini-family reunions, with my parents and brothers, so we liked having the fixed dining to have a definite time when we would see each other each day. It's nice to have that definite meeting time. And we like having the same waiters at the same table each night.

This last cruise, I really liked fixed dining because it helped me not nibble so much. With food available 24/7, I tend to graze, and come home from the cruise heavier than I left. This last cruise, with a 5:15 dinner, I knew if I grazed cookies or ice cream around 3:30, I wouldn't be hungry for dinner. So I considered what I wanted more each day -- the ice cream at 3:30 or dinner at 5:15. I came home 4 pounds lighter this cruise (though I walked at least 2 miles around the deck each morning,so that may have helped as well.)

Even at home, we have a fairly fixed meal-time. Dinner is on the table between 6-6:30 each night, so having fixed dining helps keep the routine.

Lastly, several of my traveling companions tend towards horrid heartburn/acid reflux if they eat too close to bedtime, so the early, fixed dining ensures that's not a problem.

But it's nice to have the options for people who prefer a less-structured dining experience.

Allan & Marlane

We switched back to Main Dining table for 8 this upcoming cruise. We tried the As you Wish last time - 2011 and ended up at a table for 2. Not what we like about dinner! We've met some wonderful people on our cruises and have maintained friendships still with quite a few we met at our dinner table. I have a hearing impairment, so I find the large round table for 8 is better suited for conversation and have asked HAL to place us there and they were more than willing to accomodate. at a round table, I can hear more of the conversation and also be able to read lips if necessary! We met a wonderful lady who was cruising alone on our first cruise on the Veendam. She made the cruise for us! so entertaining and full of life! I am looking forward to meeting our new dinner mates in 3 weeks!