Wine by the glass in the MDR

Stratheden

We are not big wine drinkers but we sometimes like a glass with our meal. Do they have "wine by the glass" in the MDR.

Agree; wine by the glass is available, but the selection is limited. I think I recall that a decanter of wine can be purchased which would provide somewhat more than one glass/person, if desired. I did not investigate that possibility because I always buy a wine package.

Agree; wine by the glass is available, but the selection is limited. I think I recall that a decanter of wine can be purchased which would provide somewhat more than one glass/person, if desired. I did not investigate that possibility because I always buy a wine package.

The decanters are 325 ml, or a half bottle. That should be about 2.5 glasses.

You may find better value ordering a bottle and having them keep it for you between nights.

That can be more economical. It was explained to me by the wine steward once, so I did it and it turned out to be a good bargain rather than paying for each glass. They found my wine each evening, even in Anytime Dining.

Debbie

You may find better value ordering a bottle and having them keep it for you between nights.

As another post indicates this will insure that your wine is available when you arrive in the dining room. I think I have read before that getting a glass of wine in the DR can take quite a while. Cherie

That can be more economical. It was explained to me by the wine steward once, so I did it and it turned out to be a good bargain rather than paying for each glass. They found my wine each evening, even in Anytime Dining.

Debbie

I agree with this. That way your wine steward takes care of you. A glass of wine means your waiter does it and there are better selections when you do a bottle IMO

Thanks everyone for your advice. We will try all the suggestions.

Scroll down the following Bar Menu from Dec 2014 to the "Wine by the Glass" section to see your choices:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu.pdf

Hope this helps.

Edited by Crew News

Scroll down the following Bar Menu from Dec 2014 to the "Wine by the Glass" section to see your choices:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu.pdf

Hope this helps.

I think you should point out the 'wine by the glass' is anything but consistent. I have ordered by the glass in various bars and cannot always have the one I had the time before. When presenting a menu, it is a good idea, IMO, to point out it is only a 'suggestion' and you don't know from cruise to cruise, ship to ship which will be available. That from my personal experience. :)

I think you should point out the 'wine by the glass' is anything but consistent. I have ordered by the glass in various bars and cannot always have the one I had the time before. When presenting a menu, it is a good idea, IMO, to point out it is only a 'suggestion' and you don't know from cruise to cruise, ship to ship which will be available. That from my personal experience. :)

Totally agree Sail.

An experience that I had on the Noordam: I purchased the Admiral's Wine Package which included the Nobilio Sauvignon Blanc which I often drink at home. (Very partial to New Zealand wines: White or Red). The bar menu listed a Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc by the glass which I have ordered before and found quite good. "No longer available", I was told by more than one bartender. I then asked about the house Suvignon Blanc when I was at the Ocean Bar; the Bartender gave me a taste, a wine from Chile, which I did not like. I asked if he could get me the Nobilio. Long story short: he was able to get me a glass of that wine and the wine became available wherever I ordered it: Pinnacle Bar, Explorer's Lounge, Ocean Bar, or the Crow's Nest. I was, and am, impressed with such customer service.

My moral of this story: if you do not see a "wine by the glass" that you like on the menu, ask. You may receive.

An experience that I had on the Noordam: I purchased the Admiral's Wine Package which included the Nobilio Sauvignon Blanc which I often drink at home. (Very partial to New Zealand wines: White or Red). The bar menu listed a Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc by the glass which I have ordered before and found quite good. "No longer available", I was told by more than one bartender. I then asked about the house Suvignon Blanc when I was at the Ocean Bar; the Bartender gave me a taste, a wine from Chile, which I did not like. I asked if he could get me the Nobilio. Long story short: he was able to get me a glass of that wine and the wine became available wherever I ordered it: Pinnacle Bar, Explorer's Lounge, Ocean Bar, or the Crow's Nest. I was, and am, impressed with such customer service.

My moral of this story: if you do not see a "wine by the glass" that you like on the menu, ask. You may receive.

Thank you for that info. Good to know. I do believe that any menu - on whatever site;) - can only give you a general idea of what may be available, as everything is subject to change without notice. And your experience shows that even it is not listed, you should ask. The worst that can happen is a "no".:) And if you don't ask, you don't get.

I have no experience with the "wine by the glass" being inconsistent since the Bar Menu, dated Dec 2014, was published and therefore, I did not make your suggested declaration.

Your personal experience of inconsistencies with the previous Bar Menus is hereby noted. Maybe the new one will be better.

Of course things happen with shipments but that should not be the norm.

I do not regard the HAL menus as "suggestions" so I would feel uneasy using that word for those that I post.

Edited by Crew News

I have no experience with the "wine by the glass" being inconsistent since the Bar Menu, dated Dec 2014, was published and therefore, I did not make your suggested declaration.

Your personal experience of inconsistencies with the previous Bar Menus is hereby noted. Maybe the new one will be better.

Of course things happen with shipments but that should not be the norm.

I do not regard the HAL menus as "suggestions" so I would feel uneasy using that word for those that I post.

Actually, it is the norm and has been posted on CC many times.

The wine menus are suggestions. You may (or may not) recall reading time and again a particular wine is offered on the wine list but when requested, frequently we're told, so sorry - not available.

It has happened to me on every cruise as far back as I can remember. We pick another wine but it is highly likely most people who order wine consistently during a cruise will be told that at least wine they ask about is not in stock.

The wine menus are suggestions. You may (or may not) recall reading time and again a particular wine is offered on the wine list but when requested, frequently we're told, so sorry - not available.

It has happened to me on every cruise as far back as I can remember. We pick another wine but it is highly likely most people who order wine consistently during a cruise will be told that at least wine they ask about is not in stock.

I have not read a single reference to a wine not being in stock being the "norm" since the new menu from Dec 2014 became available.

Please post some links to recent CC posts so that I may become more familiar with the Dec 2014 Bar Menu wine-stockage issues?

Edited by Crew News

I have not read a single reference to a wine not being in stock being the "norm" since the new menu from Dec 2014 became available.

Please post some links to recent CC posts so that I may become more familiar with the Dec 2014 Bar Menu wine-stockage issues?

You're so much better at searches. That's always been a weak point for me. :D

You are referencing such a very small window it is silly. December to mid-February.. :D

I am referencing 80+ HAL cruises and over 20 years. ;) That makes a pattern. Forty five or so days vs 20+ years...... ;)

You're so much better at searches. That's always been a weak point for me. :D

You are referencing such a very small window it is silly. December to mid-February.. :D

I am referencing 80+ HAL cruises and over 20 years. ;) That makes a pattern. Forty five or so days vs 20+ years...... ;)

"I think you should point out the 'wine by the glass' is anything but consistent."

Although prefacing a post with "IMHO" or experience is preferable on CC, feel free to make any declaration of fact that you wish in response to any of my future posts. :D I try to avoid describing situations of which I am not certain.

That has been our experience as well. Of course, a person needs to be ordering wine to have the experience.

I agree about ordering a bottle to enjoy over a couple of evenings, instead of ordering several glasses of wine.

Edited by CowPrincess