HAL Rotterdam - the rotting dump!

BGozzy

The Hotel Director in question from Veendam was Costa Rican. He was fired the morning we docked back in NYC (SEPT 2012) along with several officers. He had previously operated hotels but from what I understand they had all went bankrupt so he got with HAL.

A decent-size crew group were contacting Seattle that sailing to demand release from their contracts. The HD was openly hostile to guests and I heard twice belittle the captain.

We sailed with that captain this past September (on Rotterdam ironically) and it was a world of difference. The HD makes or breaks the cruise imo.

Failing that inspection was the least of the problems regarding that issue.

Your review lists the following,

Captain: Marco Carsjens

Hotel Manager: Douglas Hernandez

Cruise Director: Dan Bernbach

Executive Chef: Dean Carosella

In any event, Veendam had a lot of changes that year.

I browse around other cruise lines threads here and also see things posted on Facebook. Someone that went on the Celebrrity Silhouette last month traveling in the same cabin they were in a year before noticed piece of paper/garbage stuck somewhere that they noticed the year before. I guess no cruise line is perfect. ;)

The cruise we were on with a couple of others on this thread was Veendam in March/April 2012. The Hotel Manager on that cruise had the initials DW if I recall.

He was the Hotel Manager on our Bermuda cruise that summer. I think that was when the Veendam failed the CDC inspection. And he was gone. Then, reappeared on the Ryndam in January of '13. After our 14 day segment end of January/beginning of February with Noro, he was "gone" again.

I also remember the Hotel Manager (as he was titled at the time) and DH and I thought the world of him. We sailed a number of times with him always thought him a wonderful HotMan. We were very sorry when he left HAL and didn't think the circumstances entirely fair. :rolleyes:

Could you explain the exact characteristics that went into making him such a great HM?

He was the Hotel Manager on our Bermuda cruise that summer. I think that was when the Veendam failed the CDC inspection. And he was gone. Then, reappeared on the Ryndam in January of '13. After our 14 day segment end of January/beginning of February with Noro, he was "gone" again.

The HD that was fired from Veendam in August 2012 never sailed again for HAL. At least according to his LinkedIn ...

Edited by sppunk

From the Know Before You Go, pg 17, cruises longer than 25 days will have a hold of US$30 per day, for each guest 18 years of age and older. This means for 2 people, 90 days x $30 x 2 = $5,400 US.

For a 17 day cruise, the hold, assuming 2 guests in the cabin, both above 18 years of age, should have been 17 days x $60 x 2 = $2,040 US.

This is worrisome to me? Do they take this out all at once, or do $30 per day? With a 35 day cruise booked, I hope it's the latter, so after a week some of the first charges are released if we don't spend that much.

We contact our credit cards prior to the trip to tell them the countries we'll be visiting, so we'll need to tell them to expect a $XXX hold from Holland America too. We try to take some local cash in for each port, so we can avoid risking the credit card.

I would suggest that you call HAL directly to find how it will process a hold for a 35 day cruise. The total hold should be $30 x 35 x 2 = $2100. The Know Before You Go states that HAL will seek an initial authorization on the day of embarkation. I don't know if there are any allowances made for longer cruises.

Also keep in mind that HAL will monitor your spending while on board. If your actual daily spending is exceeding the daily hold, HAL may request that you either make a payment to your account or increase the hold amount. This can easily happen on longer cruises with a $30 per day hold and a daily hotel service charge of $11.50 leaving $18.50 available for on board spending.

I would suggest that you call HAL directly to find how it will process a hold for a 35 day cruise. The total hold should be $30 x 35 x 2 = $2100. The Know Before You Go states that HAL will seek an initial authorization on the day of embarkation. I don't know if there are any allowances made for longer cruises.

Also keep in mind that HAL will monitor your spending while on board. If your actual daily spending is exceeding the daily hold, HAL may request that you either make a payment to your account or increase the hold amount. This can easily happen on longer cruises with a $30 per day hold and a daily hotel service charge of $11.50 leaving $18.50 available for on board spending.

Once at Renaissance, I paid the entire stay w/ gift cards, and learned upon returning home they put a $1,500 hold on my card too.

Wondering if we load some OBC to the account, will they deduct the OBC from their credit card hold?

I'm pretty shocked. We prepay our shore excursions, get a drink package and they still hit you with $60 per day! What are we doing to be spending the money on?

Aside from the credit card issue I concur completely with the OP.

Holland has gone down the drain in terms of quality and service.

I stopped sailing HAL 3 years ago and won't get on one ever again.

At a cost of several thousand dollars there are no second chances

Gramps

Once at Renaissance, I paid the entire stay w/ gift cards, and learned upon returning home they put a $1,500 hold on my card too.

Wondering if we load some OBC to the account, will they deduct the OBC from their credit card hold?

I'm pretty shocked. We prepay our shore excursions, get a drink package and they still hit you with $60 per day! What are we doing to be spending the money on?

I am not sure whether loading OBC would decrease the hold amount. You can pre-pay with cash at embarkation, if you wish. Any amount not used would be refunded at the end of the cruise.

There are lots of things to spend the money on. A trip to the spa will easily take care of a couple of days. Specialty restaurants, spending in the shops, beverages not covered by the beverage package, events like raffle draws and bingo, flowers for your cabin....it really is quite easy.

Unfortunatly they have to protect themselves from deadbeats so everyone gets painted with the same brush. I've seen stories on here where people were successful in getting the hold reduced. If it's going to cause you financial hardship it's worth the call. I believe all cruise lines do this but might not be as up front. It might be something to consider if you decide to take further cruises.

This is worrisome to me? Do they take this out all at once, or do $30 per day? With a 35 day cruise booked, I hope it's the latter, so after a week some of the first charges are released if we don't spend that much.

We contact our credit cards prior to the trip to tell them the countries we'll be visiting, so we'll need to tell them to expect a $XXX hold from Holland America too. We try to take some local cash in for each port, so we can avoid risking the credit card.

Nothing is charged to your credit card until the last night of the voyage.

The hold only freezes that amount of credit on your card so you can't use it elsewhere. When the final bill is charged to your credit card, any remaining held funds will be released by HAL. It may take the bank a few days to process the release.

Cruise lines absolutely have the right to protect themselves and I have no issue with a hold. The three nights pre cruise that we spend at a hotel will be subject to a hold as well. It's part of travelling.

The hold only freezes that amount of credit on your card so you can't use it elsewhere. When the final bill is charged to your credit card, any remaining held funds will be released by HAL. It may take the bank a few days to process the release.

Cruise lines absolutely have the right to protect themselves and I have no issue with a hold. The three nights pre cruise that we spend at a hotel will be subject to a hold as well. It's part of travelling.

Credit Card holds are the norm in the hospitality industry. We booked 2 months ago a room in a very reputable Venice 5-star hotel for a 4 night post cruise stay in late July. The room is payable at the end of our stay and no deposit was required. Yesterday, I checked our credit card account and saw that they had already put a hold for one night's stay... four months in advance. Guess we can't back out now :D

We are staying at the Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver and submitted a "Travel Plan" with our credit card company to cover charges while in Canada. I forgot to ask about the conversion from Canadian to US dollars but would think this is not an issue?

Edited by qsuzi

Credit Card holds are the norm in the hospitality industry. We booked 2 months ago a room in a very reputable Venice 5-star hotel for a 4 night post cruise stay in late July. The room is payable at the end of our stay and no deposit was required. Yesterday, I checked our credit card account and saw that they had already put a hold for one night's stay... four months in advance. Guess we can't back out now :D

Possibly a temporary authorization to check your card which will drop off in 3ish days?

The Rotterdam received a score of 86 on the inspection report in April 2012. That is one point above passing.

After that, she was home ported in Europe and has been there ever since. She has not called at an American port since then. It would be interesting to see what the report would be if she returned to the United States and was reinspected.

Terri

We were on the Rotterdam for 85 days "Around Africa". And we considered that cruise one of the best we have taken. And we thought the crew on the Rotterdam was fabulous, I even made a Facebook page album about them. We also liked the Front Desk staff. I am not sure what happened to the OP that affected her cruise so badly. But I can tell you that there are some very professional people handling that Front Desk or at least they were on our cruise which ended in December.

I suspect the multitude of holds was human error. To call it theft without knowing what the the person who made the error intended is wrong. I am glad that it was cleared up. Since the food was not to her liking, I would recccomend that she try Azamara or Oceania as they are known for their food. We enjoyed our dinners in the La Fontaine Dining Room and had the best wait staff we have ever had on a HAL Cruise and the rest have been excellent. It was always a pleasure to go to dinner in the all Fontaine as the food was almost as good as the food in the Pinnacle Grill.

As for the ship being a mess and in bad repair, we didn't find that so, but we aren't fussy. We just enjoy cruising and have happened to find a cruise line we like. Others probably would be happier on newer ships.

The Rotterdam isn't the only ship that has had a sewage smell. We didn't notice any sewage smell. I am wondering if it is related to burning of sewage.

The Rotterdam is scheduled to do the Voyage of the Vikings Cruise so obviously Holland America isn't worried about bringing her to the U.S. due to inspection report. Considering the huge number of people from the Netherlands that cruise on the a Rotterdam, it seems to me that HAL based her in Rotterdam to serve the Dutch and English cruisers.

Edited by Storylady

The Rotterdam is my favorite ship and I would be very sad to think she had gone downhill so quickly. I, also, was on the Around Africa cruise and enjoyed every moment. I do know that both the Captain and Hotel Manager were scheduled to go on leave at the end of that cruise so different personnel have different standards. But they shouldn't vary that much. The snafu on the credit card is inexcusable and should never have happened. That would have soured me too! But the actual condition of the ship changing that much is surprising.

Yes. Very. We had him again on a Maasdam cruise last year.

Can't be the same one.

The one I am so enthusiastic about no longer works for HAL and had already left by last year.