HAL Rotterdam - the rotting dump!

BGozzy

I'm sorry OP found us only after his (her) cruise and to share the unhappy experience on Rotterdam and just as sorry he had so many unacceptable experiences while on the ship. So much anger in such a post is unfortunate when one has planned and spent time and money with high hopes for a wonderful vacation.

I thank him for sharing his(her) thoughts with us and taking the time to detail all the complaints and wish him a better cruise next time on whichever line he chooses to sail.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm sorry OP found us only after his (her) cruise and to share the unhappy experience on Rotterdam and just as sorry he had so many unacceptable experiences while on the ship.

I thank him for sharing his(her) thoughts with us and taking the time to detail all the complaints and wish him a better cruise next time on whichever line he chooses to sail.

Absolutely agree, Sails. You often are the bearer of wisdom and calm.

Best of luck with your future cruises, OP; no one deserves the combination of troubles you've detailed. :)

In my opinion, it's probably best to wait a bit to do your review. If I've had a wonderful time., I tend to be a little too forgiving and rate everything positive, where as if I was disappointed, I find all the little things wrong to post about. I think I'm more objective if I wait a couple of months b4 I submit a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point but waiting a couple of months may make the review less pertinent. If the ship has a heavy change of crew or some mechanical issue arise etc, a three month old review could be 'old news' by the time it is posted. Maybe?

I didn't read it that way. I read it as an attempted hold of $2000 (rounded amount of what the $60 per day, per person would have been), that didn't go through, and was reattempted 5 times. That would be the $10,000 (rounded) that OP referred to.

Yes, that makes sense (after reading it again).

Thanks, Ruth.

I agree, and am trying not to worry because we will be aboard the Statendam in 4 weeks. Plumbing and A/C problems are what I worry about. I do have a friend who loves the Statendam. I'm hoping to have an experience closer to hers than some of the other stories I've heard. :eek:

PLEASE post your experience after your cruise -- if not a formal review, then just observations about her current maintenance state relating to the IMPORTANT issues (on which we appear to agree). Like your friend, I love Statendam too, and that's the reason that I will not go if she appears to be too deteriorated. I don't want my lovely memories of her marred by a bad last cruise.

On which side of the Cascades do you live? I'm in Everett.

PLEASE post your experience after your cruise -- if not a formal review, then just observations about her current maintenance state relating to the IMPORTANT issues (on which we appear to agree). Like your friend, I love Statendam too, and that's the reason that I will not go if she appears to be too deteriorated. I don't want my lovely memories of her marred by a bad last cruise.

On which side of the Cascades do you live? I'm in Everett.

Sure, I'd be happy to. And yes, we do agree. :D This will be our first time on the Statendam. I'm a half-full kind of gal, but if there are any plumbing and/or A/C issues, I will talk about it. ;)

We're practically neighbors, I live in Lake Stevens. :)

HAL sails one of the oldest fleets at sea and their maintenance has slipped, they are trying to milk the last profits out of these old vessels. Their reputation has slipped greatly, partly due to these old physical plants. ...

This reminds me that several people on this forum have referred to ships of less than 10 years old as being "old."

There is no reason why an ageing ship has to have serious maintenance issues. Two of the oldest ships we ever sailed in were in splendid condition.

P&O's SS Canberra was 33 years old on our last cruise aboard that vessel. Our last Atlantic crossing on Cunard's QE2 was just a few months before she was retired in her 40th year. On both of these ships there were no problems with air conditioning, plumbing, electricity, nor were there any sewage smells. Upholstery and carpeting were in very good condition. There were a few bits of rust on the superstructures but I've seen that on a three-year-old ship.

I thank everyone for their comments.

More specifically I'd like to respond to some of your comments.

1. I have listened to your views and concede, calling it theft was not correct, and incompetence is more appropriate. 2. To clear up some confusion, the first amount successfully held was $1634.35, 3 days after sailing. The second amount successfully held was $1740.25 one day later. Another hold was attempted that day of $1651.33. And holds were attempted yet again the following day of $4,479.45 and $1643.53. After "resolution" the first two holds were reversed and instead $2912.95 was held a week after sailing.

3. We did have all the information on visas before we left, even going through the process of getting Indian visas. I even rang HAL (who we booked directly with), to check if there was anything we needed for the Myanmar visas, that the ship would organise for us, and was told nothing.

4. I wrote to HAL the day after I got home. To date I've had no response.

This post wasn't a vengeful attack. It was suggested to me by a friend, that I share my issues, to make others aware.

I don't by any means claim to be the most professional of cruisers, but for a single middle aged women, I do claim to have a great deal of experience sailing. I am not line specific cheerleader. My other sailing experiences have all been with an element of class. Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same of this passage. I will cruise in the future, I just won't rush to do it with HAL.

Thank you all again, and I wish you all fine sailing.

BGozzy.... thanks for coming back and clearing up some of our questions. Your report of being treated so rudely by the front desk is not the first and there really is no excuse for poor customer service. I hope you get a response from HAL soon. Here's wishing your future cruises are trouble free and that you do give HAL another chance sometime.

I thank everyone for their comments.

More specifically I'd like to respond to some of your comments.

1. I have listened to your views and concede, calling it theft was not correct, and incompetence is more appropriate. 2. To clear up some confusion, the first amount successfully held was $1634.35, 3 days after sailing. The second amount successfully held was $1740.25 one day later. Another hold was attempted that day of $1651.33. And holds were attempted yet again the following day of $4,479.45 and $1643.53. After "resolution" the first two holds were reversed and instead $2912.95 was held a week after sailing.

3. We did have all the information on visas before we left, even going through the process of getting Indian visas. I even rang HAL (who we booked directly with), to check if there was anything we needed for the Myanmar visas, that the ship would organise for us, and was told nothing.

4. I wrote to HAL the day after I got home. To date I've had no response.

This post wasn't a vengeful attack. It was suggested to me by a friend, that I share my issues, to make others aware.

I don't by any means claim to be the most professional of cruisers, but for a single middle aged women, I do claim to have a great deal of experience sailing. I am not line specific cheerleader. My other sailing experiences have all been with an element of class. Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same of this passage. I will cruise in the future, I just won't rush to do it with HAL.

Thank you all again, and I wish you all fine sailing.

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for you latest comments and clarification. I understand and appreciate the frustration you experienced with a very unsatisfactory cruise experience. At times, it takes a little courage to post on this forum; - especially if you give criticism to Holland America Line. I recognize your courage, and applaud your willingness to describe the source of your frustration. Let me say that your concerns go far beyond the incompetence of front desk personnel. There are other issues and I sincerely hope that you receive a written reply to the letter that you have written to Holland America Line. Could you please let us know if HAL even bothers to reply to your concerns?

BGozzy, thanks so much for coming back and providing more detail on the cc holds. I can now understand why HAL claims it doesn't quite understand what happened as what did happen does not make sense. Yours is an excellent example of why one should never assume as to what happened. HAL should have taken responsibility for this, been much more open and transparent with its dealings with you. I would be very angry and like you, I would not deal with any business that demonstrated such a blatant lack of regard for me and my financial affairs.

I realize that sometimes things can go off the rails, but how are you ever to arrive at a successful outcome if the other party simply refuses to share pertinent information? HAL's decision not to fully cooperate with you could only lead to one outcome - a poor customer experience and a lost customer. I applaud you for your decision. So often I have read others who condone poor service as simply "ship happens". But, when we continue to accept poor service, we shouldn't be surprised to continue to receive it.

I think it is ridiculous to imply that HAL does not care about it's aging fleet. HAL wants to sell cruises. Some repairs are difficult to make because of a ship's schedule. And, sometimes it's hard to find competent people to do the work. I remember a couple years back when some ships that came out of drydock were a disaster. HAL hires human beings to do the work. They can't always control the quality of the work, just like in our real lives when we hire someone who does less than quality work.

HAL is in the business of serving lots of drinks. Those servers are overzealous much of the time. When someone comes on this board and says they are not being served drinks, there is not one person reading this who will believe it. Sure, you will get some servers that may be new or don't care, but that doesn't happen often. And certainly not the entire cruise. Just because the person saying this is 3 or 4 star, doesn't mean we will believe it. It's not that we are HAL cheerleaders. I've only been on one current HAL ship. It's just that it doesn't make sense or sound realistic. Same thing with people who say a ship is a rotting mess. HAL's ships are old and maintained as best as they can be, considering they need to be in the water, to make money.

Those who sail HAL like old midsize ships. There are many, many lines for people who don't. I'm sorry for those who were disappointed, but they only have themselves to blame for not doing their homework.

Those who sail HAL like old midsize ships. There are many, many lines for people who don't. I'm sorry for those who were disappointed, but they only have themselves to blame for not doing their homework.

That's a pretty big broom to push aside all of OP's legitimate complaints and customer service concerns. This treatment is acceptable?

Years ago there was a poster here who complained that their toilet was inoperable the whole time onboard. They were rightly furious. HAL could not fix the issue and refused to make it right.

The poster was told

1) to suck it up, the ship was older

2) being onboard was better than being at work

3) the ole ship happens saying

4) use quart baggies and bag their waste. ( seriously!!!!?????)

5) go use public restrooms

That's a pretty big broom to push aside all of OP's legitimate complaints and customer service concerns. This treatment is acceptable?

No one is forcing you to sail HAL. There are soooo many other lines. Those of us who prefer small to midsize ships are pretty much stuck. The other midsize cruise lines probably cost more....I don't look at prices, so I really don't know. If I liked sailing on 2000 psgr ships I probably would sail another line.

You may think the complaints are legitimate....I wasn't there, so I really don't know. I do know some people may be a little fussier than others.

Again, for those of you who are unhappy, sail another line. I have a distinct feeling HAL's prices are what keeps you coming back.

<snip>

I've only been on one current HAL ship.<snip>

HAL currently has 15 ships, with the oldest being the Statendam that went into service in 1993. Just to be clear, from your statement above, is it correct to deduce that you have been on one HAL cruise in the past 22 years?

You may think the complaints are legitimate....I wasn't there, so I really don't know. I do know some people may be a little fussier than others.

If you were not there and don't know, how can you in all honesty say that someone is not credible?

Terri

Again, for those of you who are unhappy, sail another line. I have a distinct feeling HAL's prices are what keeps you coming back.

Non functioning plumbing, sewage smells, wet floors; those are all unacceptable. It does not matter what price is paid for the cruise. HAL is a hospitality company and advertises itself as a cut above other mass market lines. I could go stay in a Motel 6 for $39 per night if I was so concerned over costs, but even then I'd expect the carpet to be dry and the toilet to work. I don't think I am a particularly demanding or discriminating consumer, but I do know when something is not right and I won't accept subpar services with a smile.

When I see people being dismissive over very real complaints about service and maintenance I think that is the type of consumer that allows companies to let their own standards slip and everyone suffers.

Is it unreasonable to expect dry carpets and working toilets? I do not think it is.

The Rotterdam received a score of 86 on the inspection report in April 2012. That is one point above passing.

After that, she was home ported in Europe and has been there ever since. She has not called at an American port since then. It would be interesting to see what the report would be if she returned to the United States and was reinspected.

Terri