HAL Rotterdam - the rotting dump!

BGozzy

Am I the only one that thinks HAL was dead wrong for trying to hold 10 thousand dollars several times? This isn't a credit card issuer being proactive problem but is a merchant making an improper hold.

The OP was owed an apology plus OBC for the phone call expense as well as the time wasted in dealing with HAL's mistake ( mistake not theft)

You are not the only one Denise. Seems like some are questioning the facts of the OP's post.

Bgozzy, so sorry to hear and feel your frustration and disappointment. My sincere hope is that your next cruise is delightful and moves some of these bad memories aside.

If it's any comfort, I will tell you that our first HAL cruise was also our last. I know a particular line can have an off sailing and I am willing to try again, but my DH refuses. The general state of disrepair and lack of nightlife just did not impress. The great thing is...there are a lot of great alternative out there for a lovely cruise vacation for you.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

In the Know Before You Go, p. 17 - 18, the hold on your credit card is done on the day of sailing. Yes, the hold should be attempted once by HAL. Anyone working with credit cards should understand that repeated attempts within a short time period will immediately be flagged by the credit card company.

Para 2, p. 18 also requests that you contact your credit card company in advance that the card will be used by HAL. This is also to prevent any fraud alerts and potential problems with the card.

I just contacted HAL (first time cruising with them soon) and was told the pre-authorization is done at the pier and you will know if it is an issue or not at that time. That was good to hear so that you can straighten it out before being at sea. some people change their CC to be billed at the pier.

BGozzy,

I feel very bad that your cruise vacation was far less than satisfactory. Let me make a few comments about this forum, as you appear to be new to the Holland America boards. For the most part, the people who participate in this forum are long-time members of cruise critic, and are fiercely loyal to the Holland America brand. You will read the term, "cheerleaders" quite frequently when reading various posts. This term is a reasonable approximation of reality. You have some serious concerns about your most recent voyage on the Rotterdam. I can particularly empathize with some of your experiences. The smell of sewage is experienced by many travelers on Holland America's ships. I do think, however, that you need to be "civil" when describing your most recent disappointment. Holland America Line is many things to many people, but it is not a thief. Here's a suggestion for you. Please write a formal letter to the President and CEO of Holland America Line. In this letter, you need to try to match "principle" with civility. I understand your anger, but you need to focus this anger and ask for respect and fair-dealing from Holland America Line. You might be surprised to find that the bureaucracy of HAL will try to make things right for you.

Thank you for this post!

I just contacted HAL (first time cruising with them soon) and was told the pre-authorization is done at the pier and you will know if it is an issue or not at that time. That was good to hear so that you can straighten it out before being at sea. some people change their CC to be billed at the pier.

Yes, that was always my understanding also.

Reading the OP's statements, what I would find so frustrating is that while the credit card company could clearly explain what happened and why the fraud alert was charged to his card (5 hold attempts by HAL for an amount in excess of $10,000), it would appear that HAL did not accept any responsibility, did not know what happened and provided little explanation for the unfortunate incident. Yet, HAL would have receipts and records showing that 5 separate attempts were made to secure holds against the card and all 5 were declined. So by not explaining exactly what happened, if I were in the OP's position, I also would not be very re-assured.

How would I know, for instance, that this was the result of a check-in agent making 5 attempts until prompted by the credit card machine not to try again vs a rogue employee trying to do something underhanded with my credit card? I wouldn't know, and to hear HAL respond that it basically doesn't know what happened and cannot reconcile what my credit card company said did happen wouldn't leave me feeling confident about HAL's handling of my personal information.

Yes, that was always my understanding also.

Reading the OP's statements, what I would find so frustrating is that while the credit card company could clearly explain what happened and why the fraud alert was charged to his card (5 hold attempts by HAL for an amount in excess of $10,000), it would appear that HAL did not accept any responsibility, did not know what happened and provided little explanation for the unfortunate incident. Yet, HAL would have receipts and records showing that 5 separate attempts were made to secure holds against the card and all 5 were declined. So by not explaining exactly what happened, if I were in the OP's position, I also would not be very re-assured.

How would I know, for instance, that this was the result of a check-in agent making 5 attempts until prompted by the credit card machine not to try again vs a rogue employee trying to do something underhanded with my credit card? I wouldn't know, and to hear HAL respond that it basically doesn't know what happened and cannot reconcile what my credit card company said did happen wouldn't leave me feeling confident about HAL's handling of my personal information.

Good points and what poor customer service and what a mistakes! 35 cruises and no other cruise line I've sailed with has had this poor of a response to such a big issue. It is a little scary to think this happens, even if it happens rarely.

Edited by qsuzi

To try and make a hold of $10,000 once is bad enough but to compound this by attempting it 5 times was sheer incompetence. I'd be mad too if they'd caused my Credit Card to be stopped and all the hassle of phoning the banks to get it sorted.

We were on the same crossing from Rotterdam to NYC and have been on the Rotterdam twice to Norway after that trip. Never noticed any smell onboard or wet carpets in the MDR.

The "pool" aft on the Lodi was greatly enjoyed on one of the Norway cruises . People just enjoyed the chairs in the water. Guess it all depends on what you like....

WOW! What a nightmare. We also had some issues with the Rotterdam during a crossing from Rotterrdam to NYC (a few years ago) that really defined HAL's unwillingness to deal with major issues. During that voyage the Maitre d attempted to seat us in the port-aft section of the MDR. Upon getting to that area we immediately smelled the awful odor of mildew (and probably mold) that was strong enough to be sickening. We immediately asked to be seated elsewhere and were accommodated. A couple of days later we were again seated (for lunch) in that same section and the odor was even stronger. At that point we asked to see the Maitre D and again asked to be moved. While being moved the Maitre d explained that there was a leak from the ceiling that was going through the wall and under the carpet where the carpeting had been constantly wet/damp for months. He explained it was a real "mess" and that HAL had plans to repair the problem at sometime in the future (he hoped after the cruise). Meanwhile, HAL staff had no problem seating passengers in that area risking possible illness from mold.

But our "favorite" feature on that ship was the aft end "birdbath" that replaced the aft pool. HAL removed the pool so they could cram in a few extra cabins (underneath) and replaced the pool with a large "people"bath that contained about 6 inches of water. It was a ridiculous waste of space. And having only a single small pool on such a large ship was also a problem as a few teens took over the pool and intimidated most of the older folks by constantly splashing and jumping in the pool. The security folks would stop at the pool every few hours and quietly scold the kids who immediately went back to splashing, diving, jumping, etc.

Hank

See previous reply, forgot to quote message to which I was replying :rolleyes:

From the Know Before You Go, pg 17, cruises longer than 25 days will have a hold of US$30 per day, for each guest 18 years of age and older. This means for 2 people, 90 days x $30 x 2 = $5,400 US.

For a 17 day cruise, the hold, assuming 2 guests in the cabin, both above 18 years of age, should have been 17 days x $60 x 2 = $2,040 US.

To try and make a hold of $10,000 once is bad enough but to compound this by attempting it 5 times was sheer incompetence. I'd be mad too if they'd caused my Credit Card to be stopped and all the hassle of phoning the banks to get it sorted.

Looks like it was the $2040 hold that they tried to put through 5 times. Guess it didn't go through the first time and they just resubmitted it until they decided to contact the OP.

To try and make a hold of $10,000 once is bad enough but to compound this by attempting it 5 times was sheer incompetence.

I didn't read it that way. I read it as an attempted hold of $2000 (rounded amount of what the $60 per day, per person would have been), that didn't go through, and was reattempted 5 times. That would be the $10,000 (rounded) that OP referred to.

"Someone" didn't know enough to stop when the attempt didn't go through the first time, and the repeated attempts caused the card to be frozen.

That's not attempted theft on HAL's part, but it is poor practice.

I didn't read it that way. I read it as an attempted hold of $2000 (rounded amount of what the $60 per day, per person would have been), that didn't go through, and was reattempted 5 times. That would be the $10,000 (rounded) that OP referred to.

"Someone" didn't know enough to stop when the attempt didn't go through the first time, and the repeated attempts caused the card to be frozen.

Hi Ruth. Have you ever had anything like this happen to you on HAL? I would think that HAL would try to be as helpful as possible to resolve these type of issues. The printout of expenses should have left a paper trail, right?

Looks like it was the $2040 hold that they tried to put through 5 times. Guess it didn't go through the first time and they just resubmitted it until they decided to contact the OP.

I agree; mathematically and logically it was the probable cause of the "$10,000 hold".

Edited by Kay240
forgot to add "bold" and "purple"!

I read it the same way, Ruth.

I'd be beyond "mad" ;) I would be enraged, livid, furious. My card was cancelled over a $17 charge once, because the sales person kept swiping it and swiping it. That triggered the fraud department. And then in an obnoxiously loud voice she informed me "The change has been DECLINED" :eek:

A particularly trying situation at guest services can be enough to set one on edge, to put it mildly. To have your onboard account suspended and be worrying sick about the bank is a nightmare. What I don't understand is why they didn't let you use their phone. I've seen cruisers using phones that look like walkie talkies that guest services has.

Everything else- the lido buffet has hours of service. French onion soup has an onion or two. That's just the way it is. Cruise food is not great food.

I can't speak to Rotterdam issues as I have never sailed her.

I think we need to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. That's one person's experience.

I agree; mathematically and logically it was the probable cause of the "$10,000 hold".

I also "assume" that it was the most probable cause, yet why did HAL choose not to confirm it? HAL, like all companies, is not immune from less than honest employees, as we learned just this past December (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-cruise-ship-theft-arrest-20141216-story.html).

I read it as 5 attempts that put together totalled oner $10,000 or the $2040 mentioned elsewhere tried 5 times.

Sorry you had a bad cruise, OP. As regards the Myanmar visa, we visited there on the Volendam last year, and knowing that visas would be required, we did carry a few extra photos, but they were never used, as I believe the ship used the photos they had taken for our keycards. Possibly the country had refused to allow those on your cruise, so they needed to take more.

From the Know Before You Go, pg 17, cruises longer than 25 days will have a hold of US$30 per day, for each guest 18 years of age and older. This means for 2 people, 90 days x $30 x 2 = $5,400 US.

For a 17 day cruise, the hold, assuming 2 guests in the cabin, both above 18 years of age, should have been 17 days x $60 x 2 = $2,040 US.

ah.. OK. 30 a day is reasonable. I thought they were trying to hold 10.000. I misread they op

I don't understand what this "hold" is. Does this mean when we take our 21 day cruise our CC will have a hold on it for around $1300 from HAL? Do they always do that? I guess I've never checked before.

Basically a hold is to ensure that there are enough funds to cover expected expenditure, different lines use different amounts and sometimes different daily amounts for different length cruises.

The reason is pretty simple, it's no good having a card registered if there are no available funds, so a hold says "we expect to charge this amount to the card in a few days please make sure you hold these funds for this charge". Hotels often do the same thing.

The biggest problem is sometimes it can take a long while to release the hold, if the hold and the eventual charge are the same amount it should automatically release but if not the hold stays on for a set time, so say you get a hold for $2,500 and then the bill is $2,499, until the hold is released you have $2,500 you can't use.