HAL Rotterdam - the rotting dump!

BGozzy

I don't understand what this "hold" is. Does this mean when we take our 21 day cruise our CC will have a hold on it for around $1300 from HAL? Do they always do that? I guess I've never checked before.

When you sail on HAL, HAL's cashless society means that while you are on the ship, you will charge all of your purchases to a ship board account. The account is set up using your cabin number and name.

As HAL is basically providing you with a credit account without actually completing a credit application, HAL requires that you register a credit card or debit card against this account. On sailing day, HAL will place a hold on the available credit balance on this card. It isn't a charge, but the dollar amount of the hold is frozen against any other purchase on that card.

For cruises that are 25 days or less in length, HAL will place a hold of $60 per day for every passenger 18 years of age and over in the cabin. In your case, assuming that you are traveling with one other person who is 18+, the hold will be $60 x 21 days x 2 people = $2520. This means that HAL will hold, or freeze, an available credit limit of $2520 against your CC.

WOW! What a nightmare. We also had some issues with the Rotterdam during a crossing from Rotterrdam to NYC (a few years ago) that really defined HAL's unwillingness to deal with major issues. During that voyage the Maitre d attempted to seat us in the port-aft section of the MDR. Upon getting to that area we immediately smelled the awful odor of mildew (and probably mold) that was strong enough to be sickening. We immediately asked to be seated elsewhere and were accommodated. A couple of days later we were again seated (for lunch) in that same section and the odor was even stronger. At that point we asked to see the Maitre D and again asked to be moved. While being moved the Maitre d explained that there was a leak from the ceiling that was going through the wall and under the carpet where the carpeting had been constantly wet/damp for months. He explained it was a real "mess" and that HAL had plans to repair the problem at sometime in the future (he hoped after the cruise). Meanwhile, HAL staff had no problem seating passengers in that area risking possible illness from mold.

But our "favorite" feature on that ship was the aft end "birdbath" that replaced the aft pool. HAL removed the pool so they could cram in a few extra cabins (underneath) and replaced the pool with a large "people"bath that contained about 6 inches of water. It was a ridiculous waste of space. And having only a single small pool on such a large ship was also a problem as a few teens took over the pool and intimidated most of the older folks by constantly splashing and jumping in the pool. The security folks would stop at the pool every few hours and quietly scold the kids who immediately went back to splashing, diving, jumping, etc.

Hank

I'm thinking I should rethink my booked cruise for 2016 on the Rotterdam. The credit card thing doesn't bother me, but a stinky ship does. I remember cruising on the Norway, before it was laid to rest. Damp floors, poor ac, musty smells... It wasn't what we had expected. Now I'm having doubts about the Rotterdam. There are so many companies vying for your vacation dollars, maybe I could do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I had never realized this happens.

It's not just HAL, but hotels, rental cars, the list goes on and on. It's pretty standard practice but usually not noticed because it's just a few $. On a long cruise, it does add up for sure.

I'm thinking I should rethink my booked cruise for 2016 on the Rotterdam. The credit card thing doesn't bother me, but a stinky ship does. I remember cruising on the Norway, before it was laid to rest. Damp floors, poor ac, musty smells... It wasn't what we had expected. Now I'm having doubts about the Rotterdam. There are so many companies vying for your vacation dollars, maybe I could do better.

I am not doubting the OPs claims, however I was on her in September and experienced none of this. We haven't seen any reports of this on her either.

Every ship at sea has sewage smell crop up now and then for whatever reason, brand new to 30 years old.

I am not doubting the OPs claims, however I was on her in September and experienced none of this. We haven't seen any reports of this on her either.

Every ship at sea has sewage smell crop up now and then for whatever reason, brand new to 30 years old.

Sppunk... How did you find the ship?

Regarding the "Hold"...if I remember correctly, you know what the hold is going to be against your credit card upon boarding, if you prefer to eliminate this issue upon boarding you can do a credit card charge to OBC in the amount of the "hold" at any time after final payment and any OBC not used is returned to your credit card. I may be misremembering this. I have had a couple of experiences with my credit card being stopped because of fraud and it can be VERY frustrating when the card company does not notify you, you only find out when the card is declined.

I also misread the OP's post and thought the $10,000 had been attempted 5 times. And...I also agree with everyone who has commented that once things turn south they often just keep going. And I hope the OP's next cruise is wonderful. Cherie

Edited by cccole

It was NOT THEFT! :(It was incompetence!

I find that funny. I have a vision of a new ad campaign: "We're not thieves, we're just incompetent." Or maybe "Signature of Incompetence". :)

A pity the service recovery was lacking for the $10,000 in charges. From reading here on CC, it seems that lack is not unusual on most of the mainstream cruise lines.

As to some of the other issues:

What a cruise line considers an "upgrade" is not necessarily an upgrade to passengers. If you book a gty, or fail to mark "No upgrade", you're playing cabin roulette.

For the Lido hours, we try to find out the hours the various venues are open before we go. For some cruise lines it's harder to find official hours than for others. But that's one of the things CC is useful for.

We've been on ships with smells in certain ares. Not pleasant, but it happens. About all you can do is to avoid the area.

We're going on our first HAL cruise, and are aware of the alleged demographic. We'll enjoy even if it is "DEAD". But that's on us to make it enjoyable.

Just keep in mind that my tale of woe on the Rotterdam VI happened several years ago (July 2011). One might assume that HAL has since fixed the issue we encountered. What we found troubling was not so much that they had this major problem in the dining room, but the attitude that they would simply sit anyone in that part of the dining room unless they complained about the smell. We once saw a similar problem on a Princess ship and the onboard engineering department had the entire floor (and adjacent wall) torn apart within 1 day! What HAL did on the Rotterdam was wash the carpet (in that part of the dining room) every few days to try and mask the problem (it did not work).

Hank

BGozzy,

I feel very bad that your cruise vacation was far less than satisfactory. Let me make a few comments about this forum, as you appear to be new to the Holland America boards. For the most part, the people who participate in this forum are long-time members of cruise critic, and are fiercely loyal to the Holland America brand. You will read the term, "cheerleaders" quite frequently when reading various posts. This term is a reasonable approximation of reality. You have some serious concerns about your most recent voyage on the Rotterdam. I can particularly empathize with some of your experiences. The smell of sewage is experienced by many travelers on Holland America's ships. I do think, however, that you need to be "civil" when describing your most recent disappointment. Holland America Line is many things to many people, but it is not a thief. Here's a suggestion for you. Please write a formal letter to the President and CEO of Holland America Line. In this letter, you need to try to match "principle" with civility. I understand your anger, but you need to focus this anger and ask for respect and fair-dealing from Holland America Line. You might be surprised to find that the bureaucracy of HAL will try to make things right for you.

Great suggestion.

But now the smell of sewage is now to be expected on HAL ships :eek: .

Im a bit disappointed that HAL decided to build their new ship so large. I do not cruise with 2500 people.

Can anyone vouch that the Rotterdam is still in good shape? I was going to cruise on the Prinsendam, but heard so many negative things about its condition (not its service) that I went with the Rotterdam. Now this thread....

I dont need a sparkling new ship with all the glitz and neon... I like an older ship, but I don't want it to be worn out and banged up with torn carpet and rusty deck chairs...

Im a bit disappointed that HAL decided to build their new ship so large. I do not cruise with 2500 people.

Can anyone vouch that the Rotterdam is still in good shape? I was going to cruise on the Prinsendam, but heard so many negative things about its condition (not its service) that I went with the Rotterdam. Now this thread....

I dont need a sparkling new ship with all the glitz and neon... I like an older ship, but I don't want it to be worn out and banged up with torn carpet and rusty deck chairs...

We were on the Rotterdam last winter. We were in a lanai room and loved it. We enjoyed opening the door and setting out for a daily walk. We really enjoyed the library and its importance and the fact that there was a full time librarian who ran book clubs and a full time tech person. Granted internet is expensive but we downloaded messages at night and answered off line. There was always something to do there. The entertainment was excellent. Painting and upkeep was constant. It was a warm friendly ship with excellent CD and staff. Yes, it isn't as glitzy as newer ship but had a lovely elegance.

I will say the hours for Lido being open are consistently too short. That is something HAL could rectify very easily and a complaint by many others as well. Especially for dinner time they simply close too early.

Sppunk... How did you find the ship?

For her age she was imo in quite good shape. Our toilet didn't work which impacted us greatly but that's something you can't predict.

She will be getting a nice facelift at her next dry dock.

When you read about negative conditions, you must consider the source...who is doing the complaining. There are regulars who post here who are credible. You should do a search on all posts related to the ship you are considering, then decide for yourself. Don't believe everything you read here!!!

There are 220 CC Member Reviews for the Rotterdam here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=37. For a ship that is not yet 20 years old, IMO, a rating of 68% is low.

When you read about negative conditions, you must consider the source...who is doing the complaining. There are regulars who post here who are credible. You should do a search on all posts related to the ship you are considering, then decide for yourself. Don't believe everything you read here!!!

Well said, don't believe everything you read here, even from the credible, long time posters. They may be brand loyal (no comparison) or have rose tinted glasses (not see the negatives) or possibly even refuse to accept the negatives as being true. That is not to say anyone means to mislead, just that opinions tend to exist in a vacuum. It's difficult to formulate a comprehensive understanding from many varied opinions that may have different baselines or criteria. But when you hear enough about maintenance issues one does have to wonder what is going on?

HAL sails one of the oldest fleets at sea and their maintenance has slipped, they are trying to milk the last profits out of these old vessels. Their reputation has slipped greatly, partly due to these old physical plants. The CC reviews on each cruise line are now ranked in order of satisfaction, this change was made fairly recently. Prinsendam and Rotterdam are usually in the bottom 3. Some cheerleaders dismiss their importance. Some cheerleaders dismiss the criticism of anyone not in their coterie of Holland America affectionados. Some cheerleaders think the only valid opinions come from the "regulars" on this board.

Im not coming in from left field, we have been three star Mariners for a while.

As with anything, I think people who are angry and dissatisfied with a cruise are more apt to complain on the Internet than those numbers who were happy are apt to come on and enthuse. Because of that belief I don't give much weight to percentages.

I read reviews and immediately discard the so called "one hit wonder" revenge posts. Long time credible posters are more balanced in their approach.

From experience we have been quite happy with HAL. There have been things that were annoying and upsetting for sure, but overall our afterthoughts were quite positive. They must have been as we currently have 61 days of future cruising booked with HAL.

Short answer----I agree with you. :)

Well said, don't believe everything you read here, even from the credible, long time posters. They may be brand loyal (no comparison) or have rose tinted glasses (not see the negatives) or possibly even refuse to accept the negatives as being true. That is not to say anyone means to mislead, just that opinions tend to exist in a vacuum. It's difficult to formulate a comprehensive understanding from many varied opinions that may have different baselines or criteria. But when you hear enough about maintenance issues one does have to wonder what is going on?

HAL sails one of the oldest fleets at sea and their maintenance has slipped, they are trying to milk the last profits out of these old vessels. Their reputation has slipped greatly, partly due to these old physical plants. The CC reviews on each cruise line are now ranked in order of satisfaction, this change was made fairly recently. Prinsendam and Rotterdam are usually in the bottom 3. Some cheerleaders dismiss their importance. Some cheerleaders dismiss the criticism of anyone not in their coterie of Holland America affectionados. Some cheerleaders think the only valid opinions come from the "regulars" on this board.

Im not coming in from left field, we have been three star Mariners for a while.

These are well-reasoned and logical responses. And they relate to something I'm worried about. Peeling wallpaper, torn upholstery and worn carpeting will NEVER ruin my cruise experience. I'm paying for HAL, not Regent, Oceania, etc. But toilet not flushing, cabin climate control inoperative, and sewage stench are SIGNIFICANT issues -- to me, anyway.

I'm starting to worry about this sort of thing because I'd like to have a "goodbye" cruise on Statendam, specifically her LAST cruise in the USA in September, Seattle to Alaska and back -- not talking about her final HAL trip to Singapore. Recent reviews comment on her obviously deteriorating condition. This is understandable, since HAL will not invest any more funds in her maintenance as she will be gutted and refurbed to P&Os standards. That's just logical business practices. So I'm going to be watching Statendam reviews now but, as always, just with an eye to the SERIOUS maintenance issues.

These are well-reasoned and logical responses. And they relate to something I'm worried about. Peeling wallpaper, torn upholstery and worn carpeting will NEVER ruin my cruise experience. I'm paying for HAL, not Regent, Oceania, etc. But toilet not flushing, cabin climate control inoperative, and sewage stench are SIGNIFICANT issues -- to me, anyway.

I'm starting to worry about this sort of thing because I'd like to have a "goodbye" cruise on Statendam, specifically her LAST cruise in the USA in September, Seattle to Alaska and back -- not talking about her final HAL trip to Singapore. Recent reviews comment on her obviously deteriorating condition. This is understandable, since HAL will not invest any more funds in her maintenance as she will be gutted and refurbed to P&Os standards. That's just logical business practices. So I'm going to be watching Statendam reviews now but, as always, just with an eye to the SERIOUS maintenance issues.

I agree, and am trying not to worry because we will be aboard the Statendam in 4 weeks. Plumbing and A/C problems are what I worry about. I do have a friend who loves the Statendam. I'm hoping to have an experience closer to hers than some of the other stories I've heard. :eek:

It's not just HAL, but hotels, rental cars, the list goes on and on. It's pretty standard practice but usually not noticed because it's just a few $. On a long cruise, it does add up for sure.

Yes, you can often see these holds in the "pending charges" area of your online account. Nearly every vendor does it for charges that are for "uncertain amounts". Think of filling your car with gas.... you swipe your card first to get authorization, without knowing what the total amount will be. So the gas vendor puts a hold, or pending charge, on your account for as much as $100. Later, the charge gets adjusted to the actual amount and moved from pending to completed status. These are asynchronous transactions and can impact your ability to charge later on if these charges are not removed or adjusted. This may be what happened to the OP on a longer cruise.

We've found that holds are placed by HAL at various time points on longer cruises rather than the whole she-bang (hold amount) at once. Once the held amount is reached, another hold is placed for the next several days. Not sure if others have seen this.

Edited by 0bnxshs