Leatherman Multi Tool

casique

Can you bring a Leatherman multi tool in your suitcase or will it be confiscated?

I always carry a similar type Swiss Army Knife (with all those little tools) on my key chain, and I have not had any issues on previous cruises.

You'll be OK with it in checked luggage if you are flying - but you cannot carry it on.

I would absolutely put it in checked luggage, boarding the ship as well. Two years ago, the "not ready for prime time players" who were running the Port Everglades metal detectors, decided that my Pedrini corkscrew was really a "folding knife" -- because -- NO JOKE -- it had a 1/2" foil cutter on it! They confiscated it, and I had to spend part of my first sea day talking to the GR desk and the head of ships' security to have it returned to me. :rolleyes:

From now on, anything like a corkscrew goes in my checked luggage -- as most of the port-side screeners don't have a clue about what they are looking for, or why!

Edited by wwcruisers

Can you bring a Leatherman multi tool in your suitcase or will it be confiscated?

Just answering your question but knives are a prohibited item.

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Electrical Extension Cords, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage

Edited by dkjretired

Expect it to be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. Your luggage may be intercepted and not reach your room, and you will have to go to security to get your bag. Happened to someone on our deck on our last cruise (with a Leatherman). They had to pick it up at security in the Miami terminal. I also heard of this happening in Fort Lauderdale. Probably better to leave it home....

I've traveled with a Swiss Army knife in my shaving kit for probably the better part of 20 years, including every cruise we've taken on H.A.L. Princess and Celebrity.

Last year my suitcase was held by security, I was called to open the bag and the Swiss Army knife was confiscated and held until the end of the cruise. This year it was once again in my shaving kit and once again the bag was delivered to the stateroom.

So the definitive answer is maybe it will be missed, and maybe it will be detected. It seems to be the luck of the draw.

I would absolutely put it in checked luggage, boarding the ship as well. Two years ago, the "not ready for prime time players" who were running the Port Everglades metal detectors, decided that my Pedrini corkscrew was really a "folding knife" -- because -- NO JOKE -- it had a 1/2" foil cutter on it! They confiscated it, and I had to spend part of my first sea day talking to the GR desk and the head of ships' security to have it returned to me. :rolleyes:

From now on, anything like a corkscrew goes in my checked luggage -- as most of the port-side screeners don't have a clue about what they are looking for, or why!

Same thing happened to us - a tiny foil cutter. :mad: We didn't try to get it back but I mentioned it to our Butler who promptly brought us a loaner.

I can understand knives not being allowed on planes, but I CANNOT understand why they don't allow you to take one of these things (Swiss Army Knife, Leatherman tool, etc) on a cruise ship.

All you have to do is go to dinner in order to get a bigger and sharper knife.

There are knives in the buffet, in every dining room, and even in your room if you order room service.

I use my Swiss Army knife for so many things, I would hate to have to leave it home or have it confiscated.

I use my Swiss Army knife for so many things, I would hate to have to leave it home or have it confiscated.

I didn't know that you were in the Swiss Army. :o

Looking forward to hearing some tales on the Summit Bermuda in a few months. ;)

Same thing happened to us - a tiny foil cutter. :mad: We didn't try to get it back but I mentioned it to our Butler who promptly brought us a loaner.

Jane -- that's the other part of the story that made my head spin. We were in a suite, so I asked our butler if we could have one of the little corkscrews that X used to provide in most (if not all) of the cabins. He was sad to inform me that X no longer provided those -- it was a "safety" issue. :rolleyes:

That's why we spent so much time talking to the folks who could get our Pedrini returned to us. The ship's security officer who brought it up to us was shaking his head and laughing. He apologized for the inconvenience, and explained that he had a hard time locating our corkscrew -- because pier security had labeled it as a "folding knife". :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

I didn't know that you were in the Swiss Army. :o

Looking forward to hearing some tales on the Summit Bermuda in a few months. ;)

I always wondered why they called it a Swiss Army knife, so I looked it up:

"The term "Swiss Army knife" was coined by US soldiers after World War II due to the difficulty they had in pronouncing the German name."

I've had mine for close to 20 years. It has also been on every camping trip I have ever taken.

I just don't understand why a cruise line wouldn't allow it when there are knives all over the ships.

Oh well.

Luck of the draw it seems. We had our Swiss Army knife confiscated last trip (Eclipse) - wondered why our other suitcase hadn't arrived at our cabin, but other times it seems to have escaped their notice. On the plus side, we did get it back each time, much to my husband's relief. It has been on so many holidays with us! Ironically we had other 'tools' just as lethal that were allowed through (manicure sets with lethal scissors)! No rhyme or reason as usual :).

TBH the T&Cs do say they will not allow knives, it depends onhow they define them. We won't bother to take it on our next cruise though.

Our last Cruise in November I was summoned to the naughty room to collect the piece of luggage not delivered. Reason was my wife had packed a leatherman. It is probably hit or miss about getting through. If they do catch it you can pick it up at the end of the cruise.

I had a small wrench confiscated by the non-english speaking ship's security folks when re-boarding at one port. Keep in mind this is just a small wrench for quick camera repairs that pretty much lives in my camera bag and had been thru any number of airport and cruise line checks including 3 or 4 on that trip. Moral to the story, if you want to keep it, leave it home....

Just back from the Equinox where I too was "summoned" to security. Thought for sure it was about the two bottles of champagne in the one suitcase.

Nope.

I had a Swiss Army knife that I have brought on dozens of previous cruises because it has a scissors and a corkscrew. The knife blade is 2.5" long. Confiscated until the end of the cruise.

I think what surprised me the most was that it was even detected, when you consider the number of bags that they scan.... the joys of life in the 21st century.

Next they'll be giving us plastic steak knives.

Jane -- that's the other part of the story that made my head spin. We were in a suite, so I asked our butler if we could have one of the little corkscrews that X used to provide in most (if not all) of the cabins. He was sad to inform me that X no longer provided those -- it was a "safety" issue. :rolleyes:

That's why we spent so much time talking to the folks who could get our Pedrini returned to us. The ship's security officer who brought it up to us was shaking his head and laughing. He apologized for the inconvenience, and explained that he had a hard time locating our corkscrew -- because pier security had labeled it as a "folding knife". :eek:

If you can't bring a corkscrew on the ship and X won't provide one, how are you suppose to open the two bottles of wine you are allowed to bring? And please don't tell me to bring wine with a screw cap. Cakebread wine doesn't come that way.

HAM Radios

Yes, those HAM radios (luckily, I only have amateur radios, so I guess they're OK) are pretty dangerous like knives. :)

What idiot came up with this list? It's pretty easy for me to get permission to operate from various ports, so why does the ship care? Operating a radio while on the ship is of course subject to the Captain's approval, which most amateur radio operators are aware of. It's pretty unusual to get permission to operate while on board, from what I understand.

Why this is idiotic is that most hams know that they can't operate on board, but there's probably dozens of families using "Family Radio Service" walkie-talkies onboard not realizing that using those radios outside the US is illegal. (US, Canada, Mexico and Brazil permit them. Otherwise, probably not.)

Yes, those HAM radios (luckily, I only have amateur radios, so I guess they're OK) are pretty dangerous like knives. :)

What idiot came up with this list? It's pretty easy for me to get permission to operate from various ports, so why does the ship care? Operating a radio while on the ship is of course subject to the Captain's approval, which most amateur radio operators are aware of. It's pretty unusual to get permission to operate while on board, from what I understand.

Why this is idiotic is that most hams know that they can't operate on board, but there's probably dozens of families using "Family Radio Service" walkie-talkies onboard not realizing that using those radios outside the US is illegal. (US, Canada, Mexico and Brazil permit them. Otherwise, probably not.)

Don't feel bad the list used to be longer, they actually had on the list at one time hand grenades. Can you see the conversation at home while husband and wife are packing to go on their cruise. Honey, have you seen my hand grenades, I really need them on the cruise.

Actually, we have had a couple of threads in the past six months or so related to Ham radios.