WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

I do not regard a simple drink such as a gin and tonic, vodka and coke, rum and coke, whisky and dry etc... as a cocktail. Those drinks were never mentioned in the original post!

Well thanks for clarifying your definition of a cocktail. It's a little easier to believe now that you make that distinction.

Well thanks for clarifying your definition of a cocktail. It's a little easier to believe now that you make that distinction.

Apologies... I've never been served a vodka tonic or a gin and tonic in a cocktail glass with a slice of fruit and an umbrella before

Edited by icsys

As has already been clarified by myself and others, I was referring specifically to Explorer bar prices. Nothing is flying in my face and my 'claims' are fact. Others who have sailed recently on Explorer have confirmed the same prices.

I regard a cocktail as containing multiple liquors, fruit juices and/or other ingredients.

I do not regard a simple drink such as a gin and tonic, vodka and coke, rum and coke, whisky and dry etc... as a cocktail. Those drinks were never mentioned in the original post!

Regarding prices going fleet wide, there are reports in this thread of Legend, Freedom, Vision, Navigator and Brilliance having similar or higher prices for cocktails

To be clear, this isn't going to spoil future cruises, we will just drink much less. In fact I will be drinking beer.

As I stated earlier (I think on this thread) all drinks of the day advertized in the Cruise Compass on Idy were $10.00 plus 18% so I suspect all cocktails are a minimum of $10.00.

As I stated earlier (I think on this thread) all drinks of the day advertized in the Cruise Compass on Idy were $10.00 plus 18% so I suspect all cocktails are a minimum of $10.00.

Drinks of the day last week on Legend were $7.95 plus 18% gratuity. I don't recall seeing any souvenir glasses/cups the entire cruise.

There were also special drinks and/or discounts at specific bars during specific hours each day. For example, one night the Viking Crown might have $5 house margaritas from 3:00 - 5:00. The next day, the pool bar might have 20% off all drinks from 4:00 - 6:00. There was something comparable every day of the 10-night cruise, but times, locations, and the specific discount(s) were always different.

I don't know if that was something unique to Legend.

As I was once told"if you have the money you can afford it",if you don,t have the money don,t buy it"

Who said anything about not having money? :confused: That has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. Some are bothered by the price hike. That doesnt mean they dont have the money. Others would be totally happy with Royal Caribbean ripping them off with 25.00 margaritas and 100.00 pp at Chops because apparently some have way more money than they have sense.

Edited by ryano

Having money and being okay with being ripped off are two different things.

Indeed. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but because of the new pricing, we only purchased two drinks the entire 10-night cruise, whereas previously we'd get 2 - 3 drinks each per day. So RC lost a fair amount of revenue from us, but I'm sure they made up for it by gouging those who didn't know or care about the difference or were willing to pay the price.

But also as I previously mentioned, more than one bartender & server indicated that the new menus & pricing were not being well-received because their bottom lines (I'm sure they meant their personal tips, but that would be related to overall revenue from drinks) were noticeably down. So perhaps there's hope that this will be noticed higher up the ladder over a period of time long enough for them to be forced to change course.

I noticed this on our recent brilliance cruise, too. I really disliked the single (and very limited) drink menu. I also found the drink prices to be pretty crazy. You shouldn't need to pay almost $24 for two mixed drinks. :eek:

Eagerly awaiting my customer satisfaction survey so I can provide comment on this.

Otherwise the cruise was great!

Same as the Vision, very limited bar menu. I actually thought there was pages missing. We left that bar (bartender wasn't friendly at all) & went to the Centrum bar...drink menu was the same, but the staff there was friendly:)

2 drinks were $28.32 includes 18% tip.

If my missus asked me to suprise her with a cocktail, she would not be expecting a Bourbon and Coke, she would want different coloured stuff, different types of booze and maybe sparklers maybe even a cool name.

IMO spirit plus mixer aint a cocktail, same as whisky and water aint.;)

Attention all Royal cruisers----it is very easy to get this drink price increase reversed. The key is the bartenders!! If everyone starts drinking beer or drinks priced below $10 (assuming there are some) or reducing the amount of drinks per day, then, the bartenders tips will drastically be reduced AND TOP MANAGEMENT WILL HEAR THIS--ALL EMPLOYERS LISTEN TO THE EMPLOYEES RATHER THAN A BUNCH OF UPSET CRUISERS. I am not trying to pick on the bartenders (they usually are very good), but, we need to have a viable strategy. RIGHT NOW--answer to this thread: ON ALL FUTURE ROYAL CRUISES I WILL DECREASE MY SPENDING ON DRINKS!!! Answer now.

I just double checked my cruise compass on Allure and yes- the drink of the day is $10. It better be a real good drink for $10, where you only need one lol. If this has 3 shots in it, (from a generous pour), $10 doesn't sound too bad. It's like getting 3 drinks

If my missus asked me to suprise her with a cocktail, she would not be expecting a Bourbon and Coke, she would want different coloured stuff, different types of booze and maybe sparklers maybe even a cool name.

I guess it's an American interpretation then:beer:

That would be a foo foo drink. :D While all foo foo drinks are cocktails, not all cocktails are foo foo drinks. :D

Edited by Big_G