Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

We are on board Navigator this week. There's a sign as you walk in to the main dining room stating no shorts, tank tops or bare feet are allowed in the dining room. We figured that was directed at the spring break college kids but after dinner the first night our server told us that if my husband showed up in shorts again that he would be turned away. I'm glad they are enforcing the dress code but they really should tell people before they are already packed and on the ship. In 5 cruises out of Galveston, this is the first time they are enforcing it.

There's a sign as you walk in to the main dining room stating no shorts, tank tops or bare feet are allowed in the dining room.

which part of the sign that was difficult to understand ?

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn cannot understand

I noticed that also when I was on Navigator a few weeks ago. And saw a man try to walk into the dining room with shorts on after Day 2! He was told that he would need to change before coming in.

If they didn't pack any long pants, then go to the Windjammer for dinner.

As I stated in my original post, in our experience the dress code has not been enforced. The sign was not difficult to understand. DH always packs a suit for formal nights and wears golf shirts and shorts the other nights. The first cruise we went on we followed the dress code and found we were in the minority. I posted to let others know who have had the same experience and to help them avoid a similar situation. If you don't have anything nice to say...

Most, if not all, ships allow for the possibility of luggage delays on the first night. There is no justifiable reason to not observe the dress code the rest of the cruise, save perhaps the loss of luggage by the airlines, etc.

complete nonsense. Who packs pants for vacation to a tropical destination??

The MDR is not fine dining. You are eating food that is cooked in bulk, on a boat, in the middle of the ocean, for a massive amount of people.

As I stated in my original post, in our experience the dress code has not been enforced. The sign was not difficult to understand. DH always packs a suit for formal nights and wears golf shirts and shorts the other nights. The first cruise we went on we followed the dress code and found we were in the minority. I posted to let others know who have had the same experience and to help them avoid a similar situation. If you don't have anything nice to say...

Thanks for the info.

BTW this is CC, it is filled with sarcastic jerks!;) (Me included sometimes.:D)

I'm glad they are enforcing the dress code but they really should tell people before they are already packed and on the ship. In 5 cruises out of Galveston, this is the first time they are enforcing it.

THEY DO.. it is all over the website, it is all over the documents and it is all over the cruise critic forums.

There's a sign as you walk in to the main dining room stating no shorts, tank tops or bare feet are allowed in the dining room.

There is no justifiable reason to not observe the dress code .

Royal2464 you are totally correct.

Prior to the cruise the OP was aware of the policy, and there even is a sign at the MDR entrance, and still ignored.

What an awful society we live in that people behave like this.

Does she think she is a Victim and the Cruise Line is wrong ?

Truly awful behavior by the OP and her Family.

Can you imagine what the Kids will grow up to be like ?

Most, if not all, ships allow for the possibility of luggage delays on the first night. There is no justifiable reason to not observe the dress code the rest of the cruise, save perhaps the loss of luggage by the airlines, etc.

That's not the point. The point is that Royal has not enforced their Dress Code on this ship for a long time, now apparently they are, without informing their customers of this change prior to boarding. The OP was just doing Royal's job for them with her post.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Thank you for the head's up. We normally wear a pair of pants on embarkation day and only pack shorts for the rest of the cruise. We will have to keep this in mind for our cruise in November.

Thank you for posting this. We experienced the same thing on our last cruise - where we had packed according to the suggested dress and found ourselves to be in the minority of folks (men) actually wearing long pants. DH switched to golf shorts by mid cruise, only wearing trousers on the 2nd formal night. We saw more who weren't in 'compliance' than we saw who were. Maybe it's because we were in MTD section (not that MTD carries a different dress code, but perhaps people think of it as more casual). In any case, what people were wearing didn't seem to bother anyone around them, us included. But we will definitely be prepared in November when we cruise again.

Edited by Sherri914

How hard is it to pack a few pair of Dockers and dress shirts. Add a few ties and a blazer and you too can comply with the dress code.

Agreed fatPaul.

They were told in advance,

they saw the sign's outside the restaurant,

they ignore the policy of the cruise line,

and now they have become the "victims" and the "Poor Me" scenario, with the added touch of "I don't want You to get caught also"

What a load of nonsense.

Awful behavior, and certainly not the Cruise Lines Fault

I would be embarrassed if this happened to me, not plastering it all over Cruise Critic.

Shame on You.

Shame I say.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is mad GO LYNN

We do, and we always have. I guess we're just nonsensical.:p

FWIW, I have never seen many, if any, people in shorts at dinner, and the bulk of our cruises have been from Galveston.

I don't pay a lot of attention to what others are wearing, but I do have a couple pet peeves...one is ball caps in the dining room, and the other is people in the Windjammer without cover-ups.:rolleyes: That said, I must be an old fuddy-duddy, because I just don't think it's all that difficult to throw in a couple pairs of Dockers and some golf or tropical shirts.

I'm very happy to see a policy (any policy!) enforced! Maybe chair hogs are next!:D;):D

Edited by Cindy

The MDR is not fine dining. You are eating food that is cooked in bulk, on a boat, in the middle of the ocean, for a massive amount of people.

Dress code is part of a cruise holiday so it shouldn't be a surprise. Possibly all inclusive in a tropical would be more to your liking.

Agreed fatPaul.

They were told in advance,

they saw the sign's outside the restaurant,

they ignore the policy of the cruise line,

and now they have become the "victims" and the "Poor Me" scenario, with the added touch of "I don't want You to get caught also"

What a load of nonsense.

Awful behavior, and certainly not the Cruise Lines Fault

I would be embarrassed if this happened to me, not plastering it all over Cruise Critic.

Shame on You.

Shame I say.

Good God, over dramatize much? :rolleyes: Its getting to where someone cant post anything around here anymore without getting clobbered.

Ridiculous.

Or one can do what we do and not bother with the "formal" dining room and not care what people are wearing:rolleyes:. It is really just a chaotic banquet room full of running staff that's well decorated with average at best food. Not really a "formal" atmosphere at all to begin with......:rolleyes: If people want to go there and pretend it's some kind of "awesome formal thing", go for it. But it's not, so don't expect everyone there to dress like it's something it isn't........

Edited by bouhunter

How hard is it to pack a few pair of Dockers and dress shirts. Add a few ties and a blazer and you too can comply with the dress code.

It isn't difficult to pack a couple of pairs of casual type slacks and casual shirts for the non formal nights on a cruise and then a jacket, tie and dress shirts for formal night. Some people may even disagree with how 'formal' someone should dress on 'formal night.

The point of the OP's post is that Royal is 'inconsistent' in their enforcement of the dress code -- and the inconsistency was based on the personal experiences he had in the past.

It wasn't that he could not read, nor understand.....but based his packing on what he had experienced prior.

we do. because we read the suggested attire sections on the website BEFORE we pack and abide by it. there are PLENTY of tropical weight slacks out there for the guys.