international cafe

sammybonny

I think they'll give you water, but that's about it. They have the special coffees and tea for an extra charge. Finding a place to sit is dependent on a bunch of stuff. Some ships have more room than others. Since it's a take away place, you can carry it off anywhere you want to go.

Edited by shredie

The seating area just off of the International Cafe on the Royal-class ships is fairly large - I'd say at least double the size of the same area on its earlier fleet mates - and there are tables and chairs around the perimeter of the grand piazza as well.

:D

I agree. You can get water for free. Whether you find seating depends on the ship and the time of day. If you go at lunch time you probably won't find a place to sit. You didn't mention which ship you're going on. Some ships have more seating than others.

Thanks for the info

we are going on Caribbean Princess

As this is the only place open 24 hrs does that mean we cant get included tea /coffee after the buffet has closed?

Caribbean Princess has lots of room around the IC for seating. If you have the coffer card you can get coffee and tea for free otherwise there is a fee. There is a bar to the left of IC not sure how long it stays open and Vines is to the right of IC with lots of seating.

The IC can get very busy. What we do is find a place to sit, it may be at a table, in Vines or at the bar. Then we go one at a time to get our food. No free drinks like ice tea or lemonade. If you bring a tea bag(s) from the Horizon Ct. you can get free hot water. If you have the coffee card or soda sticker you can get those drinks.

Just so you know what to expect (I didn't until I saw it) the International Café isn't a true restaurant. It's just a counter in the Piazza where you can ask for things behind glass: pre-made sandwiches, salads, cakes, muffins and such. At least that was the case on the Golden Princess, the only Princess ship we've sailed recently.

Anyhow, the fact that this "dining venue" is really just a counter means the seating is simply anywhere you can find a table and chairs around the Piazza. And you're on you own for drinks, unless you want to buy something at the coffee counter or the nearby door.

Jim

When you do get a seat in the seating area around the IC, waiters will approach and ask if you would like something to drink, for a fee of course. They can get you beverages from the coffee bar or alcoholic drinks from the bar.

Makes it easier when trying to navigate with your food.

Thanks for the info

As this is the only place open 24 hrs does that mean we cant get included tea /coffee after the buffet has closed?

No. The buffet drink area will be available, there just isn't food 24 hrs. There's a serve yourself arrangement in the buffet. Glasses, cups. ice, tea, coffee, etc.

You can enter the Horizon at any time...coffee, hot water, tea dispensers are over to the side in the seating area. There just won't be food out after 11pm until it reopens in the early morning.

Our last two cruises were on the Golden (first times on a ship with the IC) so I can't speak for the Caribbean Princess about seating there in the Piazza. On the Golden, if there's entertainment going on (variety acts, string quartet, etc.), don't count on there being available seats. We'll take our plates elsewhere (to our cabin, to a lounge, pool deck) to eat. But maybe on other ships, there's more tables nearby.

Definitely check out the IC. Yummy.

The seating area just off of the International Cafe on the Royal-class ships is fairly large - I'd say at least double the size of the same area on its earlier fleet mates - and there are tables and chairs around the perimeter of the grand piazza as well.

I agree, lots of places to sit.

Thanks for the info

On Ruby Princess in November each night around midnight they set out urns of coffee, decaf and hot water & teabags at the International Cafe.

I never checked the Horizon Court after closing time on that cruise, but contrary to the several responses above there have been some reports on here that the HC was locked tight and/or the beverage stations shut down in the overnight hours.

Edited by fishywood

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the IC is not generally a place were people seem to "camp out." As others have said, it's a walk-up area for grabbing a quick sandwich, salad, dessert, etc. During the day, the turnover of tables is pretty quick, especially on port days. The sandwiches and salads remain fairly constant, but the cookies and other desserts will change throughout the cruise, so stop by a few times and you might see something different, or highly in demand that is not always available like the little cups of tiramisu that I could not get enough of on this last cruise (and apparently, neither could others). :D

What about the soup? Is it a cup or bowl? What kinds for example?

Just off the Grand and the soup in the IC was served in a smallish bowl (different every day and usually very delicious too !). A variety of salads, sandwiches, rolls and deserts also available. You only require a coffee card for the specialty and brewed coffees.

...VTX-Al

On Ruby Princess in November each night around midnight they set out urns of coffee, decaf and hot water & teabags at the International Cafe.

I agree on both the Crown and Emerald this year, I noticed starting around midnight til around 5:00am they had a complimentary coffee set up in the IC

First time I've seen it, so based on your Ruby report and my Crown and Emerald experience it looks like it might be a new fleet wide improvement.. Lets hope so .

Srpilo

The sandwiches and salads remain fairly constant, but the cookies and other desserts will change throughout the cruise,

That used to be true, but last year they started having salads rotate in and out on different days.