Cruise Newbie- Walk me through embarkation day

jbsmomtammy

We are traveling on the Miracle next Saturday. Hubby and I and three kids 9-18. We are flying in from Seattle.

I've got my paperwork etc. all in order, but I 'm having problems visualizing what embarkation will be like. We have not been able to get FTTF passes. We will each have a suitcase for ourselves. These get taken at the dock for loading- is that correct? As far as carry on, do we each take a backpack- something bigger, such as a carry-on size suitcase?

I've read about bringing swimsuits and change of clothes for dinner incase our rooms aren't ready yet. So those will be in what we bring on. Where do I put our non-alcohol drinks? (I've read we can bring on 12 20oz or less beverages. Do those go in what we carry on ourselves? or do we check them in? in a bag? in a suitcase?

What else do I need to know/bring besides patience ;)

Help a new cruiser out!

I havent been on CCL in a while, but have cruised alot

You should for sure carry on luggage, as CCL allows 1 bottle of wine per person in carry on luggage, as well as a 12pack non alcoholic beverage per person in carry on. It can even be just a backpack

A porter will take your bags for you - I tip my porter a few bucks, but not everyone does, and is certainly a personal preference.

I don't remember what time rooms are ready on CCL, but definitely by 1pm. On other lines, it's been as early as 11:30

I would be really surprised if your rooms were not ready by the time of Muster Drill, which is before sailaway- typically around 3-3:30pm. Ours has always been ready before hand.

I havent cruised out of CA yet, but going to in a few weeks so let me know what you think.

Have your passport, all documents easily accessible for when are are at the port, it's just makes things go much easier and then will tell you this over and over to have the documents out

Make sure you fill out that 'Are you sick" form beforehand, saves time!

Everything is super easy and if you are confused LOADS of people you can talk to and ask for help

Have a great cruise!

We are traveling on the Miracle next Saturday. Hubby and I and three kids 9-18. We are flying in from Seattle.

I've got my paperwork etc. all in order, but I 'm having problems visualizing what embarkation will be like. We have not been able to get FTTF passes. We will each have a suitcase for ourselves. These get taken at the dock for loading- is that correct? As far as carry on, do we each take a backpack- something bigger, such as a carry-on size suitcase?

I've read about bringing swimsuits and change of clothes for dinner incase our rooms aren't ready yet. So those will be in what we bring on. Where do I put our non-alcohol drinks? (I've read we can bring on 12 20oz or less beverages. Do those go in what we carry on ourselves? or do we check them in? in a bag? in a suitcase?

Help a new cruiser out!

Hello,

When you get to the pier you will give your suitcases to a porter. The recommended tipping guideline is $1 per bag. A backpack is fine for a carry on.

Rooms are normally ready by 1:30 or 2:00PM. Your bags might not arrive until after dinner. If this happens, you can go into the dining room wearing what you came onboard in. You can carry your non-alcoholic drinks on yourselves. Do not check them in when you turn in your suitcases.

Make sure you have completed your online check in on Carnival.com and print out your boarding passes. This will save you a lot of time at the pier. Finally, go with a positive attitude and have fun!

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Help a new cruiser out!

I will do my best to answer your questions. :)

Yes you will give your luggage to a porter when you arrive at the port. They will send it to storage until it is loaded. A backpack is a good sized carryon. No sure what to do with you non-alcoholic beverages we haven't brought any on before. Be prepared to wait in line for quite awhile. I am told rooms usually are not ready until after you get on the ship. DW and I went to find our room on our first cruise early and dropped our stuff off in the closet. Room wasn't ready but it wasn't not ready.

Most important relax and have fun.

We usually use a 21 inch carry on bag with wheels to bring our soda, water and wine onto the ship. All carry on luggage is scanned like at the airport and you maybe asked to open it for them to inspect your beverage supply.

After the security inspection you will be directed to the area were you will have your picture taken for your sail and sign card (door key and on board spending account), exchange your boarding pass for your sail and sign card. Once that is completed if embarkation hasn't started you will be given a boarding section number and told where to wait. If embarkation has started you will go directly onto the ship.

Entering the ship you will be directed to where lunch is being served and beverage servers will be offer the drink of the day (these drinks are not free). You will then proceed to the Lido Deck. Have some one find a table and stay with the luggage while the rest of you head to the buffet or deli area for your first meal on your wonderful vacation.

Enjoy yourself! You are in for a wonderful vacation as long as you allow yourself to relax and go with the flow!

Hope this is the kind of information you had in mind.

Prior to heading to the port, make sure you have your paperwork with you, and luggage tags securly fastened to your luggage. There are different ways to attach yor tags, we use 3 inch clear tape. First the tag gets stapled and then wrapped with the tape.

The time you arrive will determine the lengh of time it takes to board. Cruisers arrive around 930am and boarding usually begins around 1100am. The longest lines and time waiting to board is between 1130am and 1pm. After 1pm the big rush is over.

When you arrive at the port you will take your luggage to a porter. Tipping is around a dollar a bag.

Next you will head into the terminal with your carryon. If you bring drinks they have to be in your carryon.

you will be directed to a line which ends with a representitive who will check your cruise documents and set up your sign and sail account. This is if you did not pre set it up in your documents. Your sail and sign/ room card will be given to you.

Now its time to have fun, follow the crowd, haave your dembarkation photo taken, head up the gangway and your on board.

As you enter the ship there will be Carnival personnel everywhere to guide you to your cabin. Cabins are not ready until 130pm,. An announcement will be made when they are ready. If you arrive before yor csbin is ready head to the lido deck for some lunch.

Just prior to sailing you have to attend a manditory safety drill. An announcement will be made and ship personnel will guide you to your muster station.

You are now free to do whatever you would like to do. Most cruisers use the first day to check the ship out or go to the sail away party on the lido deck.

The number of pieces of luggage/ backpacks depends on how much you bring with you. For a 7 day cruise we each bring one large piece of luggage, one small gym type bag and a backpack. My wife might bring one other small bag.

Hi,

We are on the Miracle tomorrow and have been on her before. Are you flying in the day of the cruise next Saturday? Don't forget to allow time to get to the cruise port from your flight.

You can take any suitcases you want on board with you as long as you can carry it yourself. If you have more luggage than what you want to carry on then you check that with the porters. Make sure you have your Carnival luggage tags securely fastened onto your checked bags so the porters know for sure to which cabin they belong!

Depending on what time you arrive at the port you will either check in outside the dome or if later then inside.

They will check your ID/birth certificates/passports and the health forms and your method of payment(credit card etc.) You will get your Sign n Sail card which is your ship ID and the key to your cabin and also how you pay for things on board. You will also get a boarding group number.

Then you will go through security like at the airport except you don't take off your shoes. Just the carry on bags go through the x ray.

Then you wait until your group number is called and you get onto the ship.

Keep the sign n sail cards handy as you board because they will want them to check you onto the ship.

Folks will also be there to take your picture. One is for security for the ship and you have to do this but the other is just for people to buy photos and you don't have to do that one. Those will be the ones with normal cameras . You can skip them if you want.

IF you bring carry on onto the ship and it is early you will have to drag it around with you when you go up to lunch.

Then you wait with your boaf

We usually use a 21 inch carry on bag with wheels to bring our soda' date=' water and wine onto the ship. All carry on luggage is scanned like at the airport and you maybe asked to open it for them to inspect your beverage supply.

After the security inspection you will be directed to the area were you will have your picture taken for your sail and sign card (door key and on board spending account), exchange your boarding pass for your sail and sign card. Once that is completed if embarkation hasn't started you will be given a boarding section number and told where to wait. If embarkation has started you will go directly onto the ship.

Entering the ship you will be directed to where lunch is being served and beverage servers will be offer the drink of the day (these drinks are not free). You will then proceed to the Lido Deck. Have some one find a table and stay with the luggage while the rest of you head to the buffet or deli area for your first meal on your wonderful vacation.

Enjoy yourself! You are in for a wonderful vacation as long as you allow yourself to relax and go with the flow!

Hope this is the kind of information you had in mind.[/quote']

^^^This above is most accurate - consider rolling carry on bags - trust me it will make you all happier in the long run - you don't mention how you are getting to the port from the airport. there is nothing close to the port to be able to purchase soda, water, non-alcoholic beverages or wine. you can always check in to the ship, and then grab a cab and go to the local store. but all beverages must be carried on, not checked bagage.

thank you! this is exactly what I was looking for. We fly in at 9:30 to LAX- so we should be there by 10:30 at the latest. (we have a private town car ride from the airport reserved, so we don't have to wait on others for a shuttle. I think we can talk the driver into a quick stop at the grocery store to purchase our drinks). Do the drinks have to be separated out by person? For example, could my daughter just carry a backpack, but I put 24 drinks into my rolling case. We will all be checking in together.

I have the boarding passes/medical/luggage tags all printed out. I will bring a roll of packing tape to secure them on after our flight.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond! I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to some sunshine!

Edited by jbsmomtammy

When you print your boarding passes/luggage tags there is a medical form to fill out. It says to fill out right before the cruise. No doctor needs to complete it. Basically it asks about contagious disease/ symptoms prior to cruising, verifying you haven't been in any country with ebola contact etc.

thank you! this is exactly what I was looking for. We fly in at 9:30 to LAX- so we should be there by 10:30 at the latest. (we have a private town car ride from the airport reserved, so we don't have to wait on others for a shuttle. I think we can talk the driver into a quick stop at the grocery store to purchase our drinks). Do the drinks have to be separated out by person? For example, could my daughter just carry a backpack, but I put 24 drinks into my rolling case. We will all be checking in together.

I have the boarding passes/medical/luggage tags all printed out. I will bring a roll of packing tape to secure them on after our flight.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond! I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to some sunshine!

I'm sure your driver will accommodate your request to stop at the local market/CVS. Just keep saying thank you! You should not have to separate out the beverages - most of the security people are understanding about kids not carrying more than their backpack! :p

Ahhh, Miracle is still my favorite ship!

When your family arrives at the port, porters will take your luggage. We take small, rolling suitcases as carry-ons but take backpacks if they work better for you. Upon entering the port building, your carry-ons have to go through an xray scanner, like at an airport. Depending on what time you arrive at the port, you'll either go right to an agent to check in and receive your Sail & Sign cards or you'll wait in a line to check in. You should receive a plastic card with a zone # on it. Passengers are called to embark by zone number. The earlier you arrive, the lower the number. When embarkation begins, wedding passengers and guests are called first, then Diamond and Platinum, followed by FTTF then general boarding begins.

I've read about bringing swimsuits and change of clothes for dinner in case our rooms aren't ready yet. So those will be in what we bring on. Where do I put our non-alcohol drinks? (I've read we can bring on 12 20 oz or less beverages. Do those go in what we carry on ourselves? or do we check them in? in a bag? in a suitcase?

Cabins are usually ready at 1:30. Until then, you'll have to keep your carry-ons with you. I've read that people do put swim suits in carry-ons so they can change in the restroom and use the pools right away.

Beverages are considered carry-ons so you'll have to schlep those with you until the cabin is ready.

Help a new cruiser out!

Have a great cruise. May you become as addicted as we are. :D

Edited by stargate fan

I'll add a few things, first put any important things, prescription meds, jewelry, electronics in your carryon. Your luggage is left outside your door. Someone could take it into their cabin and help themselves to something.

Also there are elevators to take you to the Lido deck. When you get off, go around the glass elevators to the glass doors that lead to the pool. There are usually burgers and such and pizza on the other side of the pool. There are glass doors that go further aft to a buffet, deli, and more. I've not been on the Miracle, but most Carnival ships are set up like that.

There will be a Funtimes on your bed when you arrive and you get a new one every night. This will tell you about the next day's happenings and the times etc.

Have a great cruise.

Hi,

We are on the Miracle tomorrow and have been on her before. Are you flying in the day of the cruise next Saturday? Don't forget to allow time to get to the cruise port from your flight.

You can take any suitcases you want on board with you as long as you can carry it yourself. If you have more luggage than what you want to carry on then you check that with the porters. Make sure you have your Carnival luggage tags securely fastened onto your checked bags so the porters know for sure to which cabin they belong!

Depending on what time you arrive at the port you will either check in outside the dome or if later then inside.

They will check your ID/birth certificates/passports and the health forms and your method of payment(credit card etc.) You will get your Sign n Sail card which is your ship ID and the key to your cabin and also how you pay for things on board. You will also get a boarding group number.

Then you will go through security like at the airport except you don't take off your shoes. Just the carry on bags go through the x ray.

Then you wait until your group number is called and you get onto the ship.

Keep the sign n sail cards handy as you board because they will want them to check you onto the ship.

Folks will also be there to take your picture. One is for security for the ship and you have to do this but the other is just for people to buy photos and you don't have to do that one. Those will be the ones with normal cameras . You can skip them if you want.

IF you bring carry on onto the ship and it is early you will have to drag it around with you when you go up to lunch.

Then you wait with your boaf

^^^This is the best advice for the Miracle since every port has different embarkation procedures.

Let me add - your driver will drop you off in the parking structure. This is where the porters are. We like to take pictures of our luggage just in case they get misplaced. You will then cross the street and go to the check in area (there are plenty of employees there to direct you).

Since you aren't Platinum/Diamond/Suite/FTTF, you will either go inside the dome or to the outside check in area.

Make sure you have your boarding pass/passes for everyone and passports/photo id & birth certificate ready. Once you get your Sign & Sail Card, keep it out as they might check it a few more times.

If you don't want a embarkation picture taken, either take the elevator (just before the embarkation picture area) or walk around and take the escalator.

You can put all the drinks in 1 carry on. Just let the security personnel know beforehand.

Edited by Rosefloater

My little piece of advice -- take a picture of a note with your address. Lost my camera once, did this, and surprisingly, someone returned it. Thought it would never happen. If they had looked at the second picture on the memory stick, it said, "If found, I am more worried about the pictures than the camera. Please at least send me the memory stick."

My little piece of advice -- take a picture of a note with your address. Lost my camera once, did this, and surprisingly, someone returned it. Thought it would never happen. If they had looked at the second picture on the memory stick, it said, "If found, I am more worried about the pictures than the camera. Please at least send me the memory stick."

Kind of related to this post. Bring more memory sticks and change them out. If per chance one gets lost, all your pictures are not lost. I take a picture of my S&S card as well as a picture of a note. Don't keep the used ones in the camera bag. As for suitcases, put extra i.d. in there too in case the suitcase gets picked up by someone else.

Other than cruisers with priority embarkation, there is no indoor waiting area at the long beach terminal. If you get there early enough they will check you at a station outside and give you a zone #. The Waiting area is kinda covered but gets crowded quickly, just something to think about if it's rainy or hot. Once embarkation begins they start checking people in inside the dome.

I have cruised out of L.A./Long Beach a few times and it's a nice, clean, organized terminal. Never had a problem there. Btw, the Queen Mary is right there too, so if you have time before or after your cruise, it's worth checking out. You can wander around it for free or pay for one of the different tours.

Edited by Martini Mom

Some great responses here. The carry on. IMHO this is most important to consider as you are planning for your first cruise. This is where you will want all documents, jewelry, expensive electronic gear, medications and swim suit if you plan to swim or sun as soon as you board. Pack your carry ons as lightly as necessary and make sure it is easily sealed so nothing accidentally falls out or goes missing. You will be carrying them with you until you have room access. Yes, you can put all drinks carried on together for your family. Put as much as possible into your checked luggage.

I envy you! Love cruising with first timers, it really is fun watching faces as you all discover the joys! Arriving at the port still gives me excitement butterflies, seeing the ship docked up close....the staff at the port are normally very friendly and efficient at getting you through the embarkation process...if you have any questions, don't be shy to ask, the port staff have always been incredibly helpful and welcoming and will surely help make the process as easy as they can for your family. Arrive at port, check luggage, go through security, check in at desk to get sail and sign cards, wait for boarding....that's about it. Once boarding I would suggest getting the one embarkation photo for your family, there will never be a first cruise again. BUT, you can ask them to put your whole family in one pic so you don't have to get several.

Once you have "dinged" in with your sail and sign cards you will get the long walk up the gangway to the ship....this is one of the most joyful walks a person can do, don't put your cards away yet...you will have to ding in with security the moment you enter the ship. You will be greeted as you step foot on board by the ship's staff and they will help direct you to wherever you'd like to go.

In short, it can be called controlled chaos. Things get frantic and then clams down. Then frantic again, then calms down. Then frantic again, then calms down. Then frantic again, then calms down.

And now you are on the ship. Go to the Lido deck get some lunch and take your time and relax. Head to your room and drop off your carry-ons. Then head to the deck to watch people in controlled chaos. Have a drink and enjoy the sunshine!

Love all you Blue Card first timers! That newness is something the rest of us never get again.

Couple quick points added to the rest already here.

- Patience. Let me say that again. Long Beach was probably our most challenging embarkation port. Coming and going from practically the same door.

- Check as much as you can with the porters near the parking garage. Do absolutely have one carry on where you keep EVERYTHING important. Thing like passports, jewelry, etc. Never relinquish that until you get into your room.

- Zone boarding. I remember that they actually had us start the process over at the Queen Mary back in 2011 but that may be different now. You'll do your paperwork, get your Sign/sail and then be assigned a zone. I remember waiting outside under the canopies. Eventually our zone was called and we headed into the dome. Then it was just a continuous line that kept moving.

- Once on the ship straight up to Lido. Find a place to park yourself for awhile while you get some lunch and that first drink. Have some sunscreen in that all important carry on. Maybe your swimwear, whatever.

- Head to your cabin at your earliest opportunity to drop the carry on gear and see if your checked bags have arrived at your door. If so, we try to unpack immediately to 'settle in'. If I had a balcony this is a great time for a little 'chill' as you will already have experienced a tough travel day.

- Nice dinner with the family talking about the fun stuff you'll do all week to recharge the batteries a bit.

- Sail away. NEVER miss it. Throwing off the lines and returning to sea is a central part of the cruising magic for many. She'll move very slowly at first. Feel the hectic world slip away. And allow that feeling begin to embrace you. A wonderful time to give your husband or wife a nice kiss at the rail with a glass of wine in hand very many hours after that cab picked you up at home and you remembered to lock the front door.

PS. I adore the Miracle. Probably still my favorite ship. Enjoy the 'grapes'. You'll know what I mean when you see them.

Edited by jsglow