I'm Pretty Sure I'm Being Punked

I don't know why so many people were on Paul65... I don't disagree with his assessment of the situations at hand. I think people like to ***** more than they like to compliment!

Not that RRCLs website is easy to navigate these days, some thing are easy to find, such as: On the first day...

For the first day of your cruise, pack a small carry-on bag with your travel documents, a change of clothes, bathing suit, workout clothes, and any medications you may need. That way you don't have to wait for your checked bags to arrive in your stateroom.

I am not going back to figure out who it was that made the comment about the OP lugging around a very heavy carry-on bag that contained nothing that the OP and family would need on the first day. But I fully agree with this!! What was in the carry on bag if it didn't include bathing suits, sunscreen, medications and at the very least a change of clothes?

Since I have only been on the smaller ships, is this normal on the bigger ships that the luggage is delivered to the room before the rooms are open or at a set time? I always see the deliveries going until 9 pm-ish

Bottom line. Yes, it does suck to start off your vacation with a ****load of issues but don't bite the hand of those trying to help you.

Ok, since I apparently have to disclose the contents of my carryon...it had my wallet, my family's passports, a cooler that contained medication for my younger son that is even more important than my older son's anxiety medicine (this takes up a lot of room, and the ice packs are what were so heavy), two bottles of prescription meds for my husband, some toiletries, including my toothbrush and toothpaste, my car keys, my iPhone, my 4 yr old's sippy cup and 'security blanket,' my sunglasses, chap stick, my checkbook, two of my kids' iPad mini's, an extra pair of eyeglasses for my older daughter, a sweatshirt for me, and sweatshirts for my two sons and for my younger daughter. That's all that fit.

As I said, lesson learned about the medication. Next time I will put it all in the carry-on. Didn't pack bathing suits or sunscreen in my carry on because it was 40 degrees in NJ, and so I wasn't really thinking we'd be swimming until day 2 or 3. Keep in mind that I have 4 kids, so packing a change of clothing for everyone would take up an entire carry on.

When we fly, we typically take at least two carry ons because luggage always disappears, but I didn't really think that happened on a ship. Again...lesson learned. Oh, and yes, the porter was well-tipped.

As for the miserable crew members...I stand firm that most of the other crew members I've seen look miserable. This is an observation that several of my fellow passengers have noticed as well. Of course it is a generalization. Had I known that I was being critiqued on every sentence I wrote, I would have counted the number of miserable-looking crew members so I could have been more precise. There have now been at least five that have looked happy.

The funny thing about those comments that make it seem as though I am being overly dramatic or complaining too much, is that I was attempting to be funny in my review. I didn't think any of these things were such a huge deal. I thought as a whole, they were amusing, and my family and I were joking all day about them. I actually didn't even include everything! Just because I stated some of what happened in my day, doesn't mean I was complaining. Should I change the facts to make everything perfect? Was I inconvenienced that I had to go down after 10 pm to wait on a huge line to discuss my missing luggage?...Yes. Did I wait on many long lines yesterday (and today)?...Yes. Was I slightly put off that I couldn't work out this morning because I didn't have a sports bra (trust me I need it)?...Yes. Would some show of sympathy from Guest Services about the fact that my luggage was lost have been appreciated?...You betcha. Was I worried about my son's well-being if he had to go without his anxiety meds?...Absolutely. Did I yell, mouth-off, have an attitude, get cross, get remotely angry or get rude to the staff? ...Never! I did not let any of what I wrote make me even a little bit miserable. Crap happens sometimes. I get it. I did find humor in the situation. I was not complaining that they gave me a Tshirt, and toiletries. I was complaining that it was done as though I was on an assembly line and they just handed them to me without saying a word. She literally turned around, walked away into another room without saying a word to me. I had no idea if she was even coming back! As for the laundry voucher..again I wasn't complaining. I thought it was funny. I pictured myself sitting in their huge Tshirt with no bra or undies for 2 days while they washed my only outfit. How is that not funny?

It took two more calls today to get my daughters' virtual balcony fixed. Annoying?...Yes. An RCI deal-breaker for me? ...Of course not.

I went to breakfast in my 12-yr old's leggings and my husbands Tshirt. Deal-breaker? No.

I went to get a massage this afternoon and after I took off everything but my now clean undies (got my luggage around 10am-ish), I looked up and saw three boys standing in the window. They ran away when I looked up. I jumped onto the massage table and threw the sheet on top of myself. I was cracking-up! I actually forgot to even tell my masseuse about it because I got side tracked when she came in and we started talking. I am so not a complainer. I mean really, what other stupid stuff can happen to me here?

I was also amused by the woman next to me and the man behind me at Mamma Mia who felt the need to sing along. Maybe because I've seen the show twice on Broadway, I didn't care so much. I didn't like that the guy in front of me kept turning around to give me mean looks while they sang. I'm sure he thought I was the songstress.

These things are funnypeople, and personally, I think they make for much better stories than if I just had an ordinary, uneventful cruise.

Ok, since I apparently have to disclose the contents of my carryon...it had my wallet, my family's passports, a cooler that contained medication for my younger son that is even more important than my older son's anxiety medicine (this takes up a lot of room, and the ice packs are what were so heavy), two bottles of prescription meds for my husband, some toiletries, including my toothbrush and toothpaste, my car keys, my iPhone, my 4 yr old's sippy cup and 'security blanket,' my sunglasses, chap stick, my checkbook, two of my kids' iPad mini's, an extra pair of eyeglasses for my older daughter, a sweatshirt for me, and sweatshirts for my two sons and for my younger daughter. That's all that fit.

As I said, lesson learned about the medication. Next time I will put it all in the carry-on. Didn't pack bathing suits or sunscreen in my carry on because it was 40 degrees in NJ, and so I wasn't really thinking we'd be swimming until day 2 or 3. Keep in mind that I have 4 kids, so packing a change of clothing for everyone would take up an entire carry on.

When we fly, we typically take at least two carry ons because luggage always disappears, but I didn't really think that happened on a ship. Again...lesson learned. Oh, and yes, the porter was well-tipped.

As for the miserable crew members...I stand firm that most of the other crew members I've seen look miserable. This is an observation that several of my fellow passengers have noticed as well. Of course it is a generalization. Had I known that I was being critiqued on every sentence I wrote, I would have counted the number of miserable-looking crew members so I could have been more precise. There have now been at least five that have looked happy.

The funny thing about those comments that make it seem as though I am being overly dramatic or complaining too much, is that I was attempting to be funny in my review. I didn't think any of these things were such a huge deal. I thought as a whole, they were amusing, and my family and I were joking all day about them. I actually didn't even include everything! Just because I stated some of what happened in my day, doesn't mean I was complaining. Should I change the facts to make everything perfect? Was I inconvenienced that I had to go down after 10 pm to wait on a huge line to discuss my missing luggage?...Yes. Did I wait on many long lines yesterday (and today)?...Yes. Was I slightly put off that I couldn't work out this morning because I didn't have a sports bra (trust me I need it)?...Yes. Would some show of sympathy from Guest Services about the fact that my luggage was lost have been appreciated?...You betcha. Was I worried about my son's well-being if he had to go without his anxiety meds?...Absolutely. Did I yell, mouth-off, have an attitude, get cross, get remotely angry or get rude to the staff? ...Never! I did not let any of what I wrote make me even a little bit miserable. Crap happens sometimes. I get it. I did find humor in the situation. I was not complaining that they gave me a Tshirt, and toiletries. I was complaining that it was done as though I was on an assembly line and they just handed them to me without saying a word. She literally turned around, walked away into another room without saying a word to me. I had no idea if she was even coming back! As for the laundry voucher..again I wasn't complaining. I thought it was funny. I pictured myself sitting in their huge Tshirt with no bra or undies for 2 days while they washed my only outfit. How is that not funny?

It took two more calls today to get my daughters' virtual balcony fixed. Annoying?...Yes. An RCI deal-breaker for me? ...Of course not.

I went to breakfast in my 12-yr old's leggings and my husbands Tshirt. Deal-breaker? No.

I went to get a massage this afternoon and after I took off everything but my now clean undies (got my luggage around 10am-ish), I looked up and saw three boys standing in the window. They ran away when I looked up. I jumped onto the massage table and threw the sheet on top of myself. I was cracking-up! I actually forgot to even tell my masseuse about it because I got side tracked when she came in and we started talking. I am so not a complainer. I mean really, what other stupid stuff can happen to me here?

I was also amused by the woman next to me and the man behind me at Mamma Mia who felt the need to sing along. Maybe because I've seen the show twice on Broadway, I didn't care so much. I didn't like that the guy in front of me kept turning around to give me mean looks while they sang. I'm sure he thought I was the songstress.

These things are funnypeople, and personally, I think they make for much better stories than if I just had an ordinary, uneventful cruise.

I can understand the humor from the title, although in reading your story, it didn't come off that way. That's why I didn't comment on it at first.... It really sounded like a rant, complaint, call it what you will.

Reading things in type form you can't hear the tone in which things are being said. sorry if I offended you, but as you said, lesson learned. Maybe its better to have a few smaller carry ons then one big one... just food for thought

Hope the rest of your vacation goes better and you can actually laugh because something is funny vs laughing at a bad situation cuz its better than crying!

Dinkydee, I got your humor right away when your title was " i'm pretty sure I'm being punked" I hope you have a great time with your family! Enjoy

Ditto this! I appreciate your humorous approach to a lousy first day ....and was uber happy you fit into your 12 year olds leggins so that you could at least get to better dining options on the event it was delayed more...I was also considering the suggestion of going commando or borrowing undies from the same kid :)

I am also totally with you on the heavy carry on situation. Our family of 4 had 3 very heavy backpacks but did not have a change of clothes or all medications by any means! Electronics, cameras, sunglasses, reading books that may have been needed for boarding day waits for 4 are heavy!! For air travel when we wont have a car at arrival, I am more likely to try to pack a shirt/undies per person but not if we are driving!!

So glad you got your luggage and hopefully you have had a better day! It snowed here in Boston today so hopefully at least you didn't see any of that!! Enjoy your cruise - hopefully fewer reasons to feel punked today!

Thanks for the update.

I enjoyed your first post and this on tops the first.:D

You have me laughing….not at you, but your up-beat style of posting.:)

I'm glad your suitcase finally arrived.

You don't owe them an explanation. I can't speak for anyone else, but I knew you were stating facts in a humorous manner. I was actually laughing at most of it.

Glad you got your luggage! I'm a little worried that some young men were able to peep in on your massage. I'm not sure I would be able to fully relax knowing anyone could "enjoy" it as well......

Hey Op...Sorry for the frustration, i will have break down even worse if it had been my cruise,even worse if it's my first

Anyway I do have to agree with the maintenance issue. During our cruise, we had a toilet clog.... I informed another attendant the issue..waited for 20 mins..nope no one..I called guest services, a while later. Nope not happening. Finally i went down to the guest service on deck 5, spoke with them and they radioed the maintenance guy.

He came a few mins later and fixed the toilet...an hour later, Guest service called my room and asked about the toilet(is it fix and workable)Its this ,which i felt appreciation of RCL doing their follow-up on cases and making sure its solved. Its frustrating but it got all sorted out in the end..we had to use the public toilets during this while, and stayed cleared of our cabin

Edited by WaveSplasher

Hello! I hope you have a great cruise! We will be boarding when you disembark on Easter Sunday! I hope you will come back to this thread and let us know how the "Noro" situation is coming along. Hopefully the big clean up you had to endure, was not in vain! ;)

I can understand the humor from the title, although in reading your story, it didn't come off that way. That's why I didn't comment on it at first.... It really sounded like a rant, complaint, call it what you will.

Maybe its better to have a few smaller carry ons then one big one... just food for thought

Seriously??? Her story totally came off that way- it didn't sound like a rant or a complaint to me, more like a humorous retelling.

And enough with the advice on carry ons, people! She didn't ask for advice, and she doesn't need it. :rolleyes:

OP, hope the rest of your cruise is uneventful, and sorry you got raked over the coals here! Some of us "got" it! ;)

Edited by micmacmissy

Maybe I'm just a Pollyanna, but all that sounds pretty mild, to me. True, it's not the ideal start, but you're really just talking about a bit of a slow check-in process and a delay in the cabins being available (probably related to extra cleaning because of some cases of norovirus) and one missing piece of luggage.

You manage to make everything they try to do for you sound like a bad thing. It's nice that they provided you with toiletries, t-shirt and complimentary laundry service.

I'm not unsympathetic to the annoyances, but at least you'll learn to pack a little better. Sounds like you had "heavy carry-on luggage" that didn't hold any of the things you really needed.

When someone is sleep deprived these types of issues can push someone over the edge.

Didn't really expect you to disclose the entire contents of your carry-on bag. ;) It just seemed odd that you made the comment, "...we took our heavy carry-on luggage..." then described all the things you didn't have (change of clothes, swimsuit, medication) that are usually the must-haves in a carry-on. But the initial comment implied that you were all lugging carry-on luggage. Sounds like you let the rest of the family off the hook, and you had the one and only carry on for a group of six people. I can see how it would be hard to pack everything everyone might need into one small bag.

OP, hope the rest of your cruise is uneventful, and sorry you got raked over the coals here! Some of us "got" it! ;)

Actually, I think I got "raked over the coals" for not being sympathetic enough moreso than I or anyone else raked the OP over the coals. I wasn't mean or anything in my initial response, just suggested that the delays and issues didn't really sound like that big of a deal, considering.

We once had a bag show up very late when we were on Allure. I was loosing hope that it was ever going to appear. When it did it was obvious that the tag on it somehow had gotten torn off. Apparently they managed to match up the personal identification I also had on the bag with our name on the ship's roster and got it to our cabin. It would have been a very long week without that bag.

OP, glad you are taking things in stride. I'd be very frustrated as well. As far as CC, this place is famous for killing the messenger and punishing the innocent. I feel badly that you've been put on trial by some here for venting your frustration. Hope the rest of your cruise goes better. A vacation is a terrible thing to waste. :cool:

OP, glad you are taking things in stride. I'd be very frustrated as well. As far as CC, this place is famous for killing the messenger and punishing the innocent. I feel badly that you've been put on trial by some here for venting your frustration. Hope the rest of your cruise goes better. A vacation is a terrible thing to waste. :cool:

You are right again. It's funny/sad how it seems many here forget that the forum is called Cruise Critic. If they just want to cheer lead, and not hear the Good, the bad and the Ugly they should head over : WeLuv2CruiseNoMatterWhat.com :p

The OP seems to have a good enough sense of humor that I don't doubt that they will make out OK in the end.

dp

Edited by dpostman

Love your writing style and can understand how you must have felt about the T Shirts. Happened to me too.

Waiting to hear howthe rest of the cruise went and how you liked or didn't like like the ship.

You are right again. It's funny/sad how it seems many here forget that the forum is called Cruise Critic. If they just want to cheer lead, and not hear the Good, the bad and the Ugly they should head over : WeLuv2CruiseNoMatterWhat.com

dp

I think the problem is that it's CRUISE critic yet the responders (not so much Paul65 in this thread as I think he started with the Pollyanna POV!) tend to treat it like CRUISER critic instead!!!

There are plenty of ways to provide feedback without making posters feel like dirt...

OP - I do hope your cruise has a happier ending ....I definitely enjoyed your writing style so far!