I'm Pretty Sure I'm Being Punked

I am so glad you got your luggage back - finally!

You certainly have my sympathy. I can think of nothing worse than losing a suitcase. I would be devastated, and could not promise to be as cheerful and patient as you were. I think I would be screaming my head off and rolling around on the floor! ;)

I don't understand all those pious and self righteous people who never pack their medications in their suitcases, and who ALWAYS pack their swimming costumes in their carry on, and who smile through every adversity life throws at them, who can't wait to jump in and criticise those who fail miserably.

I think the OP was very patient, and her account was very amusing in places. I don't think RCI were particularly helpful or sympathetic by the sound of it. It doesn't cost anything to apologise for the loss of luggage or to sympathise with the guest's plight. It's the way things are handled that makes such a difference. I know staff are busy on turn around day, but a bit of kindness goes a long way.

Actually, I think I got "raked over the coals" for not being sympathetic enough .

The last week or so around here has proven to me that this is S.O.P. if you arent just oozing with sympathy all the while damning the big bad evil cruise line.

I too think you were judged a little harsh for nothing. You were not condescending in the least IMHO and you certainly werent rude. Actually I agreed with you 100% which doesnt happen that often. :p

Thats MY opinion though and I could not care less who wants to throw flames or insults my way over MY opinion. Wont be the first time around here and certainly not the last.

Edited by ryano

Hope the rest of your vacation goes well and the family enjoys. I have a question though...what's a virtual balcony?

Interior cabins have a flat panel TV screen mounted on the wall that displays real time video off the side of the ship. Overlaid on this video is a simulated railing, so that it looks like a French balcony in an interior room.

1416147342_mintwithvbalcony2360.JPG

Edited by LMaxwell

These things are funnypeople, and personally, I think they make for much better stories than if I just had an ordinary, uneventful cruise.

OP Keep writing about your all the weird, annoying and funny things on your cruise. Some people will get your humour and outlook on things and some sadly will not. (I swear exposure to sea air damages some cruisers' funny bones around here. :p)

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Actually, I think I got "raked over the coals" for not being sympathetic enough moreso than I or anyone else raked the OP over the coals. I wasn't mean or anything in my initial response, just suggested that the delays and issues didn't really sound like that big of a deal, considering.

Yes you did. There is always someone waiting to pounce and always someone waiting to be offended. Additionally, it doesn't matter how many times you batter the cruise line's performance, the one time you suggest that the cruise line was right, you become a cheerleader. It's the wonders of Cruise Critic. :D

I am so happy you got your bag! While it might not seem like a big deal to some not having clean clothes the next morning probably would have sent me into a panic. I always have a fear of stinking to those around me and that would have pushed me over the top :) And unfortunately my wife is petite and I am a larger guy and my kids take after their mom so there was no way that I could have borrowed my kids clothes.

We have a lot of trouble packing carry ons. Our three kids when we last cruised were 2, 5, and 10 and I had every intention of taking a change of clothes and swim suits for everyone but by the time we had everything packed that needed to be carried on there was no way poor old dad could carry anymore. I was carrying a day's worth of diapers, probably 3 stuffed animals, a laptop, 2 iPads, a heavy DSLR camera, cool bag with ice for my son's medicine that had to be kept cold etc... Mom had to be free to chase and carry the 2 yr old when he was trying to rip the ornaments on the mickey tree on the ship or take tiles off the gingerbread house in the lounge on the Disney Wonder. (we cruised at Christmas).

The truth is when you have kids you are barely able to carry what you need just for that day let alone extra clothes and supplies to last a few days IF they lose your luggage. Thankfully they didn't and we got all our stuff. I just want to put perspective on parents that are told to pack extra in their carry ons. That sometimes just isn't possible without breaking someone's back.

This is why we primarily cruise as a family now. Flights are a nightmare, trying to pack for a day at Disney or another theme park is a nightmare. I love having everything available a short 15 minute walk from anything on the ship and not having to carry a diaper bag is amazing! When our two younger kids are more self sufficient and don't need us to be pack mules we'll probably start entertaining other vacation choices but for now we are cruising.

A question for seasoned RCCL cruisers. Do you think people printing their own luggage tags causes more luggage to be lost? I know for DCL they send you luggage tags and those things are so sticky and durable I think it would take an act of God to get them to come off your bag. Do you think just paper tags with staples etc... are part of the reason that bags could be lost on RCCL? (I don't know that they lose the same or more or less bags than DCL and am not trying to start a controversy) I just thought maybe that is part of the problem?

I am so happy you got your bag! While it might not seem like a big deal to some not having clean clothes the next morning probably would have sent me into a panic. I always have a fear of stinking to those around me and that would have pushed me over the top :) And unfortunately my wife is petite and I am a larger guy and my kids take after their mom so there was no way that I could have borrowed my kids clothes.

We have a lot of trouble packing carry ons. Our three kids when we last cruised were 2, 5, and 10 and I had every intention of taking a change of clothes and swim suits for everyone but by the time we had everything packed that needed to be carried on there was no way poor old dad could carry anymore. I was carrying a day's worth of diapers, probably 3 stuffed animals, a laptop, 2 iPads, a heavy DSLR camera, cool bag with ice for my son's medicine that had to be kept cold etc... Mom had to be free to chase and carry the 2 yr old when he was trying to rip the ornaments on the mickey tree on the ship or take tiles off the gingerbread house in the lounge on the Disney Wonder. (we cruised at Christmas).

The truth is when you have kids you are barely able to carry what you need just for that day let alone extra clothes and supplies to last a few days IF they lose your luggage. Thankfully they didn't and we got all our stuff. I just want to put perspective on parents that are told to pack extra in their carry ons. That sometimes just isn't possible without breaking someone's back.

This is why we primarily cruise as a family now. Flights are a nightmare, trying to pack for a day at Disney or another theme park is a nightmare. I love having everything available a short 15 minute walk from anything on the ship and not having to carry a diaper bag is amazing! When our two younger kids are more self sufficient and don't need us to be pack mules we'll probably start entertaining other vacation choices but for now we are cruising.

A question for seasoned RCCL cruisers. Do you think people printing their own luggage tags causes more luggage to be lost? I know for DCL they send you luggage tags and those things are so sticky and durable I think it would take an act of God to get them to come off your bag. Do you think just paper tags with staples etc... are part of the reason that bags could be lost on RCCL? (I don't know that they lose the same or more or less bags than DCL and am not trying to start a controversy) I just thought maybe that is part of the problem?

Print my own tags insert them in a plastic tag holder. Have never in over 40 cruises has my tags ripped off....K.O.:)

I don't understand all those pious and self righteous people who never pack their medications in their suitcases, and who ALWAYS pack their swimming costumes in their carry on, and who smile through every adversity life throws at them, who can't wait to jump in and criticise those who fail miserably.

I am certainly not pious, but I would never pack essential medication in checked luggage. I do pack some medications that might be of the "just in case" variety, like ibuprofen or Benadryl. But if it's an essential prescription med, I would want to have that on my person.

I don't pack swimming clothes in my carry on, because that's just not a priority to me, but I do generally pack a change of clothes, in case something goes wrong with the checked luggage.

Do I "smile through every adversity life throws at me"? No, I can't say that I do that, but I try to, especially if it's small stuff. I've actually had one occasion when a bag didn't show up on the first night of a cruise, and I let the cabin steward know about it, but I didn't think about going to Guest Services, as I assumed letting the steward know would be enough. If it hadn't shown up the next morning (it did, thankfully), I might have then gone to Guest Services.

I don't think any of that makes me pious or self-righteous. It's just the way I am. I've been through quite a few things that life threw at me, and I actually agree with what the OP said in her second post, that these kinds of things "make for much better stories."

Edited by Paul65

On our cruise on the Quantum in February....everyday they had a notice on the tv aboout a missing piece of luggage and to check our stateroom. I hope they find your luggage before the cruise is over and things get better for you.

I always try to cross pack some outfits of mine in DH's suitcase and vice versa so in case one suitcase gets lost we have "some" clothes. Good luck!

Excellent advise! I will be doing that from now on :D

Once my tags are folded I put packing tape over the whole tag then fold it over the handle, staple it then put more packing tape. I literally have to use scissors to get them off :D

OP, thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like you tried to make the best of things, and I hope they're going better now!

I can sympathize with people not wanting to believe that bad things happen - I get to deal with that thanks to to horrid experiences on Southwest in a row (stuck at an airport for over 6 hours each time due to stuff the airline ELECTED to do, not was forced to do), but the loyalists refuse to believe it could have been that bad. I have to confess, on Thursday evening I didn't have nearly the positive attitude you displayed! :)

Hope the rest of your trip is awesome!!

I am certainly not pious, but I would never pack essential medication in checked luggage. I do pack some medications that might be of the "just in case" variety, like ibuprofen or Benadryl. But if it's an essential prescription med, I would want to have that on my person.

I've read all the comments before responding. I think perhaps, the OP didn't see it as "checked" luggage since they were not flying. I can relate. She already had a bagful of essentials & may have thought that since the medication was not needed right away, that she could pack it. I mean, it wasn't going to miss a flight! :)

I wouldn't have thought they would lose it between the pier & the right cabin either. But as she stated a couple of times, lesson learned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I've read all the comments before responding. I think perhaps, the OP didn't see it as "checked" luggage since they were not flying. I can relate. She already had a bagful of essentials & may have thought that since the medication was not needed right away, that she could pack it. I mean, it wasn't going to miss a flight! :)

I wouldn't have thought they would lose it between the pier & the right cabin either. But as she stated a couple of times, lesson learned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I guess any time I hand off my luggage to someone else, with the expectation of seeing it later, I think of that as "checked," but I can see how others might not. But I would think, with handling a few thousand bags per voyage, there are almost always a few that end up being misdirected. Probably not as likely to be missing for days at a time, as may be the case with a bag that ends up on the wrong flight, but a bag not making it to your cabin until the next morning is probably not that rare of an occurrence.

Interior cabins have a flat panel TV screen mounted on the wall that displays real time video off the side of the ship. Overlaid on this video is a simulated railing, so that it looks like a French balcony in an interior room.

I'm still waiting for the first thread about one of them failing completely and the person complaining that they paid extra for an inside cabin with no balcony.:rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for the first thread about one of them failing completely and the person complaining that they paid extra for an inside cabin with no balcony.:rolleyes:

It's only a matter of time... :)

If I paid extra for one over a standard interior room and it didn't work I would complain about it or at least expect a refund of the price difference between a standard inside and the virtual balcony.

Once my tags are folded I put packing tape over the whole tag then fold it over the handle, staple it then put more packing tape. I literally have to use scissors to get them off :D

Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely do that.

I don't know; I haven't used that option yet. First family (non-honeymoon) Royal cruise we just had the porters do the tags. Second Royal cruise I printed them cut and put the tags into plastic tag holders.

***I've never posted pictures here. If I didn't do it right, sorry!***

These are not pictures of Royal. This is not an east coast cruise. But it showed me very clearly how bags could end up lost, or soaked, or ruined during the simple transfer process from dock to ship.

d7b20c79-3ca4-4265-b716-cbba0ceab1dd_zpswbmkpolx.jpg

5e2d7db9-e4c8-4a24-a6e8-09e093ab23e6_zpseweaiqwk.jpg

Notice how that cage is 100% over the water (over a plank of metal, yes, but things can fail).

Family of 3, each of us takes an airline-sized carryon to a ship, filled with what we feel are essentials. All rolly bags; who wants to *carry* their carryons? Not me! :)

Great post....we've had our bags misplaced twice. So, we've learned to cross pack. On our last cruise, I forget to pack pants, so I wore the same pair of pants the entire week. Never let it bother me but the wife said she was going to pack for me next cruise.

I don't know; I haven't used that option yet. First family (non-honeymoon) Royal cruise we just had the porters do the tags. Second Royal cruise I printed them cut and put the tags into plastic tag holders.

***I've never posted pictures here. If I didn't do it right, sorry!***

These are not pictures of Royal. This is not an east coast cruise. But it showed me very clearly how bags could end up lost, or soaked, or ruined during the simple transfer process from dock to ship.

d7b20c79-3ca4-4265-b716-cbba0ceab1dd_zpswbmkpolx.jpg

5e2d7db9-e4c8-4a24-a6e8-09e093ab23e6_zpseweaiqwk.jpg

Notice how that cage is 100% over the water (over a plank of metal, yes, but things can fail).

Family of 3, each of us takes an airline-sized carryon to a ship, filled with what we feel are essentials. All rolly bags; who wants to *carry* their carryons? Not me! :)

Ummm ... what am I missing here? You realize that the luggage is being put onto a ship, right ? At SOME point, luggage and people have to go over a little bit of water in order to go onto the big ship. Right?

Do you have other ideas ? I don't think they can really yank the ship up onto the pier, right ?

I found your post interesting and amusing, and reminds me of the odd things that seem to happen to us on some of our trips. Sometimes there are so many unexpected things that occur, and when you add them all together, it is quite funny. They are not complaints, but anecdotes, something to laugh about. Thank you for sharing.