I'm Pretty Sure I'm Being Punked

Ummm ... what am I missing here? You realize that the luggage is being put onto a ship, right ? At SOME point, luggage and people have to go over a little bit of water in order to go onto the big ship. Right?

Do you have other ideas ? I don't think they can really yank the ship up onto the pier, right ?

I don't think the point was to express surprise that the bags have to cross over water to reach the ship, but rather to point out that things can happen. If something slipped out at this point, it could very well be in the water. And, though I expect that particular problem is quite rare, things do happen from time to time.

Maybe I'm just a Pollyanna, but all that sounds pretty mild, to me. True, it's not the ideal start, but you're really just talking about a bit of a slow check-in process and a delay in the cabins being available (probably related to extra cleaning because of some cases of norovirus) and one missing piece of luggage.

You manage to make everything they try to do for you sound like a bad thing. It's nice that they provided you with toiletries, t-shirt and complimentary laundry service.

I'm not unsympathetic to the annoyances, but at least you'll learn to pack a little better. Sounds like you had "heavy carry-on luggage" that didn't hold any of the things you really needed.

What is someone with no luggage supposed to put in the complimentary laundry service?

I'm still waiting for the first thread about one of them failing completely and the person complaining that they paid extra for an inside cabin with no balcony.:rolleyes:

I'm going to complain in my next balcony that I can't turn the light, sounds, and wind off and request a refund to the cost of an interior. [emoji274]

What is someone with no luggage supposed to put in the complimentary laundry service?

You may have meant this rhetorically, but this is a common and helpful gesture. For many people who did pack a change of clothes in their carry-on, they can wear that. For those who did not, they could purchase something in the shops the next day (often at no charge, if the luggage still hasn't shown up) and then wash the dirties from the day before. So, yes, there are certainly scenarios in which the complimentary laundry service is useful.

In this case, she had her luggage by 10 am the next day, so she probably will use the voucher at some point during the cruise on whatever she decides to have washed.

Interior cabins have a flat panel TV screen mounted on the wall that displays real time video off the side of the ship. Overlaid on this video is a simulated railing, so that it looks like a French balcony in an interior room.

1416147342_mintwithvbalcony2360.JPG

That's brilliant. It looks so lifelike that I would be constantly banging my head 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guess who gets to go back to Guest Services?

When we checked in at the pier we gave them a different debit card to apply to our staterooms. Just got an email from my bank that it is dipping into overdraft because RCI charged everything to wrong account. Ughhh.

I'm thinking of moving my stuff down to the couches by Guest Services so I can just stay there.

When we checked in at the pier we gave them a different debit card to apply to our staterooms. Just got an email from my bank that it is dipping into overdraft because RCI charged everything to wrong account. Ughhh.

I'm thinking of moving my stuff down to the couches by Guest Services so I can just stay there.

I hear they are comfy!:p

Go get'm girl!

Edited by DirtyDawg

Oh man...this all seems to likely for it to be an April Fools joke! Im sure you were definitely punked on Embarkation Day after reading this!!

Hope you get things resolved soon!!

Too late now, but NEVER, EVER use a debit card on a cruise. So many nightmare stories. In the future just use a credit card. Banks don't care when you have a problem with debit, it is YOUR money on the line. They are a lot more helpful when it is a credit card and it is THEIR money on the line.

Too late now, but NEVER, EVER use a debit card on a cruise. So many nightmare stories. In the future just use a credit card. Banks don't care when you have a problem with debit, it is YOUR money on the line. They are a lot more helpful when it is a credit card and it is THEIR money on the line.

Not everyone has a credit card.

I do not use credit cards.

I have been on 5 other cruises in the past three years and have never had a problem. As long as the cruise line deducts the money from the correct account, I don't care about the hold. I make sure there is enough money in the account to cover my expenses. Problem here was I did not transfer money into the account they used because I specifically told them to remove it as the card on file and gave them a different debit card to use that had more than enough money to cover any expenses we incur while on board.

Not always lemonade...I must confess that I did get a bit perturbed when I was at Guest Services this afternoon, but only because the woman that was helping me didn't know how to fix it and kept telling other crew members that, "I just changed my mind and wanted them to switch the debit card on file." The second time she did it, I piped-in to say that was NOT what happened! She made it seem like it was my fault when it was not! My non-Pollyanna pet peeve is definitely when people blame me for something I didn't do. That said, the guy who eventually helped me seemed competent and was very nice. He was the first RCI person to actually apologize for their screw-up. He also niticed a room issue which was something that I had actually not complained about (to you or RCI), and seemed genuinely apologetic. Hopefully, there will be no more bumps in the road (or ocean for that matter)!

Side note, I was not planning on leaving the ship in Florida, and we decided yesterday, last minute, to take the kids to Universal. Best time I've had in a very long time!

I know this is true but traveling without a credit card is crazy. You put yourself in a very precarious position when you're not prepared for unexpected expenses.

When I was in law school I got into some credit card trouble and am afraid of them ever since. I am fortunate in that my husband makes a very good living and so I do not have to worry about unexpected expenses coming up. That said, I would agree with you about traveling with credit cards if I did not have some cushion. There are, however, some people who have no choice!

You're banking with the wrong bank if they don't care. Several times in the past I've had unauthorized charges or even completely fraudulent charges on my debit card and my bank has always put the money back into my account!

I do not use credit cards.

I have been on 5 other cruises in the past three years and have never had a problem. As long as the cruise line deducts the money from the correct account, I don't care about the hold. I make sure there is enough money in the account to cover my expenses. Problem here was I did not transfer money into the account they used because I specifically told them to remove it as the card on file and gave them a different debit card to use that had more than enough money to cover any expenses we incur while on board.

Not always lemonade..

Side note, I was not planning on leaving the ship in Florida, and we decided yesterday, last minute, to take the kids to Universal. Best time I've had in a very long time!

But if you put some Gin in the quasi-lemonade it is drinkable.;)

Good choice with Universal. Our kids always loved that place. And they never lost our luggage!:D:p

Edited by DirtyDawg

I can't believe you're using a debit card! The holds cause so many problems............ Give them a credit card & change it the last night.

Ha! Another trip back to Guest Services and some rep can blame her for changing her mind again!:D

[quote name='tlatrice']Not everyone has a credit card.[/QUOTE]

I am really surprised that your bank or your travel agent at least didn't suggest you get a card. You can't even reserve a hotel , rental car, or any kind of travel - air, train etc without one. Saves carrying a lot of cash and a debit card isn't the most secure way of paying for things since hackers are so good these days.
Any wrong charges are covered by your credit card.

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]I'm late to this party but wanted to tell the OP "I get it". At no time did I ever think of your post as complaining but then I have a confession to make. After reading your first post I quickly scrolled all the way to your 2nd. After reading that 2nd post I then saw what you had to deal with. Glad you got your luggage. Now on to a fabulous cruise![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='squadron']I am really surprised that your bank or your travel agent at least didn't suggest you get a card. You can't even reserve a hotel , rental car, or any kind of travel - air, train etc without one. Saves carrying a lot of cash and a debit card isn't the most secure way of paying for things since hackers are so good these days.
Any wrong charges are covered by your credit card.[/QUOTE]

I travel all the time...purchase airline tix, reserve rental cars in advance, reserve hotel rooms, put deposits down on things... and I have always used my debit card (which has a Visa logo). As I said before, my card has Zero Liability protection so my bank has always reimbursed me for any charges not authorized. That happened twice in recent memory. Once I dropped my card and some jerk purchased things on it, and once someone used the numbers at a parking garage in Newark, NJ. In fact, a few times that I can think of (including the parking garage) my bank actually contacted me to see if certain charges were legit. I [U]don't[/U] carry a lot of cash on me, that's why I carry my debit card! Also, all holds are removed from my account within 72 hours.

I have travel protection, auto rental protection, purchase protection, ID theft protection and warranty extension on my debit. Maybe all cards are not equal, but if have never had any issues using my card and have never been prevented from purchasing anything based on the fact that I'm using a debit card.

Geez, I should be paid by Visa debit for endorsing their product so ferociously.