Master Chef's Dinner

ithaca gal

We have been lucky not to have the Master Chef's dinner on the last night.

I know that we wouldn't attend if it were on the last night -- especially with it being so long and having to pack suitcases.

It really wasn't that much trouble. We had all packed except the clothes we wore to the dinner. Plenty of time to put bags out for pick up before the deadline.

From the pictures posted on here, the menu hasn't changed very much. Sounds and looks very similar. Will do it again when we sail HAL again.

It really wasn't that much trouble. We had all packed except the clothes we wore to the dinner. Plenty of time to put bags out for pick up before the deadline.

From the pictures posted on here, the menu hasn't changed very much. Sounds and looks very similar. Will do it again when we sail HAL again.

The menu hasn't changed the last several years.

Only the wines -- some of the Cellar Masters choose better wines than other ones.

The best wines we have had were on the Noordam -- fall -- 2014.

Had the pleasure of participating in 4-5 over the years both on HAL and Princess. Truly a great experience. It seems they try to keep it secret unless they don't fill whatever attendance quota they have. Had a meal on the NA in February 2014 and then signed up for it shortly after boarding on a TA last October. On the TA we were initially advised that there were 5 couples signed up and hoped for one more. Half way through the cruise were were told that the chef was too busy to host the dinner. Disappointment. On the other hand 3 years ago we were on the E dam with our kids (adults) and signed up. We were told we were on a waiting list. Two days before the cruise ended I was told that we didn't make the cut. After I told them we were disappointed and that the dinner was something special we had promised our kids, the MaitreD' took pity on us and comped us a dinner at the Pinnacle on the last night. Very classy, very delicious.

The Master Chef's Dinner is never on the last night. You have to pay for the Master Chef's Dinner, not that sorry mess on the last night held in the MDR.

The dinner was scheduled for the last night of our cruise. Perhaps it has changed since you last sailed.

Well it doesn't matter what night it's on for my cruise. I'll definitely try and attend. It seems well worth the surcharge.

That being said, my cruise is a little 4 night repositioning. Hopefully they are offering it.

Has anyone attended one during a Repositioning cruise?

The Master Chef's Dinner is never on the last night. You have to pay for the Master Chef's Dinner, not that sorry mess on the last night held in the MDR.

I wouldn't say 'never.' Ours was scheduled for the last night. It got cancelled, but presumably other weeks it is on the last day and is not cancelled. It isn't necessarily the last night, but it could be.

I think the proper name of this event is The Master Chef's Table and it can be held on the last night.

Ours on NA was 3/21/15. Cruise ended 3/22/15.

More info here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1154

Trout

Well it doesn't matter what night it's on for my cruise. I'll definitely try and attend. It seems well worth the surcharge.

That being said, my cruise is a little 4 night repositioning. Hopefully they are offering it.

Has anyone attended one during a Repositioning cruise?

We have been on 21 day repositioning cruises where many people got off the ship in San Diego (we started in Ft Lauderdale). New passengers got on in San Diego. The Master Chef dinner was during the first 16 days. Nothing like that was held during the last 5 days.

I thought they called that last night's dinner with the parade, song, napkin waving, and speeches the Master Chef's Dinner. What was that called?

You're correct. That was the original Master Chef's Dinner, and was held in the dining room. I gave that 2-3 tries (I forget now how many) before I decided I would never go back.

That has subsequently morphed into the International Master Chef's dinner---also held in the dining room. I learned my lesson the first time, and gave that one try only before I decided I would never go back.

The dinner under discussion is not the Master Chef's Dinner; it's called the Master Chef's Table, and has a significant charge.

We have been on 21 day repositioning cruises where many people got off the ship in San Diego (we started in Ft Lauderdale). New passengers got on in San Diego. The Master Chef dinner was during the first 16 days. Nothing like that was held during the last 5 days.

Ah that's too bad. I'm one of the ones getting on in San Diego and cruising up to Vancouver. 'Damn full time job!!' I'll still inquire about it though. It doesn't sound as if it has any consistency about when it's held.

Thanks for your help!

You're correct. That was the original Master Chef's Dinner, and was held in the dining room. I gave that 2-3 tries (I forget now how many) before I decided I would never go back.

That has subsequently morphed into the International Master Chef's dinner---also held in the dining room. I learned my lesson the first time, and gave that one try only before I decided I would never go back.

The dinner under discussion is not the Master Chef's Dinner; it's called the Master Chef's Table, and has a significant charge.

Thanks, Ruth.

That being said...what is it excatly? I can't say that I've heard the details and might be interested in it for my next cruise. teehee

We did the Master Chef's Table on the March 1st Niuew Amsterdam sailing. It was on Saturday night, the last night of the cruise. I believe that the PG manager said that he need 10 people minimum.

This link has course-by-course photos of the food and the menu: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/03/24/the-master-chefs-table-on-holland-americas-nieuw-amsterdam/

The meal was outstanding in every way - great food, great service, beautiful Versace china, terrific wines, and a nice opportunity to meet some interesting folks on the cruise.

We did the Master Chef's Table on the March 1st Niuew Amsterdam sailing. It was on Saturday night, the last night of the cruise. I believe that the PG manager said that he need 10 people minimum.

This link has course-by-course photos of the food and the menu: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/03/24/the-master-chefs-table-on-holland-americas-nieuw-amsterdam/

The meal was outstanding in every way - great food, great service, beautiful Versace china, terrific wines, and a nice opportunity to meet some interesting folks on the cruise.

That looks like an amazing meal. I certainly hope we get the chance to do that on our upcoming cruise. Thank you for sharing.

Lorie