Overexcited?

nursedibdob

Silly question, possibly prompted by the fact that I should be writing an essay. 81 days until my first ever cruise & I just can't wait :-). I'm already ordering my cruise essentials (new camera lens, posh frock, sparkly jewellery). How long before departure do you start packing? I'm fighting the urge to get the cases down from the attic but telling myself that any more than 1 month in advance snacks of childlike enthusiasm! Is everyone else more sensible than me? I suspect you are!

Debbie

We stay permanently packed. Never know when a cruise might break out

Actually now we are retired, we are in a similar state, except we never know when a vacation might break out, as we don't just do cruises. Our guest bedroom is now known as the layout and packing room.

I have a cruise closet so most everything is right at hand. I actually don't start packing until a week or less before the cruise. I leave home Friday morning for my next cruise and only started putting things in the suitcase this morning. I did pull out and fold all my clothes last week.

I can definitely understand your enthusiasm.:D

Silly question, possibly prompted by the fact that I should be writing an essay. 81 days until my first ever cruise & I just can't wait :-). I'm already ordering my cruise essentials (new camera lens, posh frock, sparkly jewellery). How long before departure do you start packing? I'm fighting the urge to get the cases down from the attic but telling myself that any more than 1 month in advance snacks of childlike enthusiasm! Is everyone else more sensible than me? I suspect you are!

Debbie

We have 10 cruises under our belt and one in 229 days, guess you can tell by the countdown that the excitement never goes away...lol

Debbie

Debbie I know exactly how you feel. Thanks to Cruise Critic(which I joined in February 2007) I am now a cruise addict. I have taken 5 cruises since 2012 and am going on my 6th one on the Panama Canal Full Transit on Princess.

I got my Father into cruising after reading so many articles and forums here on Cruise Critic. So far all of our cruises have been 14-15 nights. Our first cruise was a 14 night Trans Atlantic on Royal Caribbean.

You see we can't get enough of the sea days mixed with ports.

Have a great time. Believe me 81 days is not eternity. I had to wait 10 months for one of my cruises. This upcoming one was planned very last minute with 20 days to sailing.

Debbie

I am right there with you. We have 45 days until our cruise. I've wanted to go on a cruise since I was 17. I could burst with excitement.

Edited by WoodsDrive

I think im always packing for a cruise. I start about a month before i leave then go through it again & again until im happy. Rule of thumb take out half of what you have packed and take twice as much money

Sent from my LG-D295 using Tapatalk

I get into "cruise mode" as soon as we make a booking. I start thinking about my past cruise wardrobes, what I took, what I brought home without wearing, etc. I suggest taking a look at what you want to wear, trying to make sure that every top will go with at least 2 or 3 bottoms. Seriously, nobody is going to notice that you're wearing the same thing a few times during the cruise. Try to stick with a colour palette, it will make it easier to mix and match items. If you have a small black evening bag, it will take the place of a silver and a gold one - same with shoes, they take a lot of space and if you only wear them once on the trip, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Don't worry about getting too excited; we just finished our 13th cruise, and I still couldn't sleep the last week leading up to our departure! Enjoy the experience.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

There are some very organised folks on here! Computer list is a good idea. I shall get to compiling my own one :-)

If you fall in love with cruising the excitement never goes away...;):D

Here is an "example" of our cruise check off list to help you get started :)

some may or may not apply for you.

Don't Forget list:

Cruise Docs (boarding pass, copies of OBC verification, luggage tags)

Contact info for credit card companies (and contact prior to inform of travel plans)

Credit and ATM cards

Driver's license and photocopy

E-tickets – airlines or excursions

Guidebook(s)/maps

Car reservations

Hotel reservations

Insurance Information

Passport, visa(s) and photocopies

Personal Items and HygieneBody lotion

Cologne/perfume

Cosmetics

Q-Tips

Deodorant

Eye drops

Face wash

Glasses

Hairbrush/comb

Hair care products

Hair dryer

Curling iron/hair straightener

Hand sanitizer

Lip balm

Moist towelettes

Make-up remover

Nail clippers / file

Nail polish / remover

Razors and shaving cream

Shampoo

Conditioner

Soap

Tissues/paper towels

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Clothing and Accessories

Belt

Walking shoes

Pajamas/sleepwear

Pants/trousers

Skirts/dresses

Capris

Shirts

Sweater/wrap

Shorts

Socks

Suit and tie - Dress cloths

Dress shoes

Jewelry

Beach cover-up

Swimsuit

Sandals / flip flops

Sneakers

T-shirts

Underwear

Watch

Workout clothes

Purse / wristlets

Medications and Health

Cold medicine

Nausea and diarrhea remedies

Pain relievers

Vitamins

First-aid kit

Gadgets

Camera and charger

Video camera and charger

Cell phone and charger

Extra memory cards

IPad

Nano/headphones

Underwater camera

Kindle

Beach / Outdoors

Sunglasses

Sunscreen

Water shoes

Hat

MiscellaneousEar plugs

Drinks

Peppermints

Highlighters

Plastic bags (dirty laundry)

Zip lock bags

Tide to go pen

List of fellow CC'ers

Air freshener

Lysol wipes

Sticky notes - pen

Small bills for tips

Clothes pins (shower curtain)

Tape

Magnets

Power strip/surge protector

Mini flashlight

Door decorations

Plastic tooth picks

Powered vitamin water

Purex washer sheets / dryer sheets

Steamer

Travel clock

Shower caddy

Sewing kit

Eye glass repair kit

One suggestion we used when first we cruised is to have the packing list out on board and crossing off the stuff we did not actually need. We also added the stuff that we wish we had but did not bring along.

The contemporaneous edit procedure worked very well and is far better than trying to do it after the cruise is over.

I've been refining my list over the course of the last 14 years, but I find that the more I cruise the less I use. Having said that, every cruiser will have to determine for herself what is/isn't necessary.

My luggage is kept in a closet in a spare bedroom. I have one rolling bag that holds ALL of my travel toys which I pick out and use throughout the year for my travels.

I start working on my packing list about 3 months prior to the cruise so I have plenty of time to order anything that I might need without having to pay rush shipping charges. I actually start packing two days prior to the cruise.

Part of my packing list ritual is figuring out what to wear each day of the cruise and to make sure that everything is washed the weekend before I start packing. I usually pack one extra "just in case" casual outfit.

One thing I cannot stress enough is to put a sticky note right above the door handle of the front door (or whichever will be the last door you go through before you leave the house). On the sticky note is a small list of ALL of the luggage I am taking to make sure I don't forget any! On my 2011 Adventure cruise I left a bag that I normally don't travel with but which held my swimsuits, all my underwear and socks along with all my reading material. I didn't realize it until I was at the airport. Since we had taken a shuttle bus there it really didn't make sense to go back home and risk missing my flight. So I went without the bag and had to buy all new underwear and socks at Puerto Rico when I arrived there. I didn't find a bathing suit I liked until I reached Curacao. I was not a happy camper since that was money that would've been better spent on souvenirs, etc.

I hope your first cruise is as wonderous and enjoyable as all your hopes and dreams have made it out to be. I know mine was and as you can see on the boards, there are more of us who are passionate about cruising than those who are not.

Happy cruising!

Edited by Teeara

So glad to read that someone has a cruise closet! I have a cruise drawer, and a section of my closet just for cruise stuff.

I leave in 3 months for my next cruise. I've had my packing list done for ages, and am now buying the clothes I need. I will start laying stuff out about a month before I leave, and pack as soon as my DD leaves for camp (2 days before I leave).

Planning is half the fun!! (well, ok, maybe 10%...)

We stay permanently packed. Never know when a cruise might break out

I do the same - I keep the cruise clothing separate from my regular stuff just in case I do last-minute trip / cruise before the scheduled one. :p

I'm in the same boat (giddiness), albeit my timeline is shifted a bit from yours. We booked our cruise back at the beginning of February, and are now a mere 32 days from departure. This will be husband's (new husband, as of last August) first cruise and will also be the first vacation we've been able to get away on together, since I've been consumed with grad school. I, too, am beyond excited, and have spent at least an hour a day researching, planning, and dreaming. *Tip* (if you haven't already) look up your cruise ship on youtube and just go through videos of the ship and the cruise to get an advanced taste...other than that, cruise critic has been a sanity saver for me...as I can anticipate and be excited to my heart's desire, amidst thousands of other people doing the exact same thing.

Happy cruising - enjoy the anticipation - it's part of the fun!

I start packing about two to three weeks before cruising. I like to wait until I choose my formal dress and color and then it's official. We lay out suitcases and put everything in the spare rooms until the night before the cruise.

We usually have everything ready to pack two nights before. We then add on way too much at end but it's so fun. I'm a planner so I keep lists for about 6 months.

As soon as I book, I'm doing research on the ports, flights, transfers, hotels, etc....Reading all the message boards gets me excited!!

Next cruise, I'm in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I have folders in MY DOCUMENTS and as I see suggestions of places to see or excursions they loved, I copy/paste to a word document saved in the folders. Then I go over the ideas with my hubby (and kids).

I have a large basket on a shelf in the spare bedroom that holds all my travel stuff year round. Like lanyards, passport holder, travel size stuff, etc. As soon as I book, I also put a laundry basket in there to hold stuff I pick up or come across just for the cruise. Currently it has our water shoes and snorkel stuff in there as we just got off a cruise in March. We've always cruised in March so I didn't want that stuff packed away in the basement however...being summer soon, it will be stuff I'll need and use this summer.

About a month before my trip....I print off my packing list that's on my computer and doesn't change much and check my medicine stock. I keep empty travel Tylenol/Advil tubes and fill them. Do I need Gravol, pepto, Lactaid, etc? I don't want to wait until the last minute to get this stuff so I refer to my list often and drop off to pick up odds and ends on my way home from work. I also try on all my summer clothes and bathing suits. If I need to shop, I want to have time and not feel rushed! I schedule to get my hair dyed/cut and nails done in the week/days before we leave. We also schedule anything needed for the car (lube/oil) if we have along drive.

About a week before, I iron everything and hang up. Suit cases come out of storage in the basement and opened up in the spare bedroom.

I pack about 2 days prior and cross off stuff as its in the bag. My rule...DON'T CROSS IT OFF UNTIL ITS IN THE BAG AND THEN IT DOESN'T COME OUT! lol I also cross pack between all the bags. If anything gets lost (and it has once), everyone will have clothes. I download my books/magazines from the library and make up our itinerary for stay at home loved ones. I double check all travel documents and print off anything required.

I'm pretty organized BUT its my packing list that keeps it all together. Not only things that I'm bringing, It has on it things I need to remember as well like the mail/newspaper, etc.

As soon as I book, I'm doing research on the ports, flights, transfers, hotels, etc....Reading all the message boards gets me excited!!

Next cruise, I'm in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I have folders in MY DOCUMENTS and as I see suggestions of places to see or excursions they loved, I copy/paste to a word document saved in the folders. Then I go over the ideas with my hubby (and kids).

I have a large basket on a shelf in the spare bedroom that holds all my travel stuff year round. Like lanyards, passport holder, travel size stuff, etc. As soon as I book, I also put a laundry basket in there to hold stuff I pick up or come across just for the cruise. Currently it has our water shoes and snorkel stuff in there as we just got off a cruise in March. We've always cruised in March so I didn't want that stuff packed away in the basement however...being summer soon, it will be stuff I'll need and use this summer.

About a month before my trip....I print off my packing list that's on my computer and doesn't change much and check my medicine stock. I keep empty travel Tylenol/Advil tubes and fill them. Do I need Gravol, pepto, Lactaid, etc? I don't want to wait until the last minute to get this stuff so I refer to my list often and drop off to pick up odds and ends on my way home from work. I also try on all my summer clothes and bathing suits. If I need to shop, I want to have time and not feel rushed! I schedule to get my hair dyed/cut and nails done in the week/days before we leave. We also schedule anything needed for the car (lube/oil) if we have along drive.

About a week before, I iron everything and hang up. Suit cases come out of storage in the basement and opened up in the spare bedroom.

I pack about 2 days prior and cross off stuff as its in the bag. My rule...DON'T CROSS IT OFF UNTIL ITS IN THE BAG AND THEN IT DOESN'T COME OUT! lol I also cross pack between all the bags. If anything gets lost (and it has once), everyone will have clothes. I download my books/magazines from the library and make up our itinerary for stay at home loved ones. I double check all travel documents and print off anything required.

I'm pretty organized BUT its my packing list that keeps it all together. Not only things that I'm bringing, It has on it things I need to remember as well like the mail/newspaper, etc.

Do you live in my house? Seriously, it is scary how many things that you do the exact same way as me right down to the basket to hold stuff and folders on the computer. A couple of days ago, we did the shopping for the medicine stock. Wardrobe is hanging in the closet waiting to be packed and hair/nails have been booked for months. Freaky!