How safe is going on a Southern Caribbean Cruise?

beccaseraph7

Two islands where there can be problems, I would say are St Lucia, where a ships tour was held up at gunpoint, and Jamaica where I felt a bit intimidated if off the tourist areas.

Any island can be dangerous. My husband was brought up in St. Lucia and I have visited there six times with him - never had a problem. Never had a problem in Jamaica. No offense but by your reasoning, St. Thomas is also off the list for gang/drug activity and shootings. We just have to be careful and use common sense. :)

My mother has been all over the world (all 7 continents, many group tours, cruises, etc.). The one and only place that had trouble was when the tour bus was broken into in .... Paris!!

Travel smart anywhere you go, from your own downtown to the ends of the earth!

I am personally excited to go to Aruba and Curacao this fall. Maybe I can say I've "seen" Colombia from the ship without going there!

PHXscuba

Just back from a cruise that included Aruba and Colombia. We rented a car in Aruba and never concerned about any part of the island. We took a private tour in Colombia and never were concerned about our safety, annoyed by some of the vendors but not worried about safety.

Agree with everyone - been to all three and Aruba is our favorite port in the Caribbean. Since we have been there many times we usually just walk across the main street and catch the 10/10A/10B buses out to the beaches. Costs around $2.30 US and the driver will give US change if he has it. These run around every 20 minutes, but there are a lot of small private vans that do the same route and cost a bit less. Very nice folks.

Bonaire has one of the best snorkeling areas around. Take a 15 minute ferry over to Klein Bonaire and drift down the wall.

And of course you can buy wheels of cheese.....

Agree with everyone - been to all three and Aruba is our favorite port in the Caribbean. Since we have been there many times we usually just walk across the main street and catch the 10/10A/10B buses out to the beaches. Costs around $2.30 US and the driver will give US change if he has it. These run around every 20 minutes, but there are a lot of small private vans that do the same route and cost a bit less. Very nice folks.

Bonaire has one of the best snorkeling areas around. Take a 15 minute ferry over to Klein Bonaire and drift down the wall.

And of course you can buy wheels of cheese.....

:D My most favorite thing to do in Aruba.

Probably about as safe as doing an "errand run" in your town/city. IE: Going to the market, the dry cleaners, the post office, the drug store, dropping the kids off at a track meet, stopping for a bite or going through the drive-threw.......you get my drift.

The ABC islands are actually closer to Venezuela than they are to Colombia.

Roz

Which does elevate the threat somewhat. But even so, I would think that the ABC's are among the safest places to visit. Our brief exposure to A and C was very pleasant.

stan

I haven't been to Bonaire. We have been to Aruba and Curacao several times. When we took our cruise to the Panama canal, it included a stop in Cartagena, Colombia. It's not a place I'd want to go off on my own. We took the ship's excursion to the mud volcano. It included some stops in the city as well. There was an armed soldier who accompanied us on the tour bus. I didn't know whether to feel safer because he was there or less safe. He was helpful at keeping the hawkers away from us when we stopped for a view of the fortress.

The ABC islands are actually closer to Venezuela than they are to Colombia.

Roz

A most cogent geographic post. Further, it is probably the safest part of the Caribbean, including Colombia, which I also often misspell, Columbia. Many other places (Jamaica for one) would be of greater concern. I assume you won't be making late night/early morning hook-ups with strangers in clubs, so the sensational missing spring break girl is not relevant.

A most cogent geographic post. Further, it is probably the safest part of the Caribbean, including Colombia, which I also often misspell, Columbia. Many other places (Jamaica for one) would be of greater concern. I assume you won't be making late night/early morning hook-ups with strangers in clubs, so the sensational missing spring break girl is not relevant.

Maybe it's just me, but I find "the sensational missing spring break girl" to be insensitive and offensive.

It is safer than jumping from an airplane.

Or staying IN an airplane.

Or driving a car.

Thanks everyone for all your replies, I continue to watch the thread. You have eased some of my worries!

HOWEVER :P I would NEVER jump from a plane :O, call me a chicken! (Heights freak me out!)

I actually hate driving to, I make my hubby do it :P But I get where you are going with this!

I suspect that if you looked at the crime statistics, you would find it safer than staying at home (unless you live in East Rubber Boot).

lol our town we live in isn't that big or does it have much crime... but yes there IS crime everywhere, I get that!

I was not at all concerned about cruising Alaska last September. What info was I missing?

To many horror stories that are out these days about crime and when I checked the website on all 3 island it mentioned drug activity, but it's true drugs are everywhere.. I just prefer to know what I am getting into and stay away from any "unsafe places".

To many horror stories that are out these days about crime and when I checked the website on all 3 island it mentioned drug activity, but it's true drugs are everywhere.. I just prefer to know what I am getting into and stay away from any "unsafe places".

My ? was not directed to you. I agree with the others. I love A and C and can't wait to visit B. :D