How safe is going on a Southern Caribbean Cruise?

beccaseraph7

Ok, so not trying to get flamed here... I am honestly dumb on this this.

I was looking at a cruise that went to Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao because those are places I have never been.

After mapping them and seeing their location and talking to my husband we started to hesitate because of how close it is to Columbia (Now there may be nothing wrong with Columbia and we may completely ignore, but we have heard bad things about lots of drug activities. I apologize if this information is inaccurate, but that is why I am here asking to get more information.)

So, anyways... are these islands safe? Or am I being paranoid?

Yes, you are being paranoid. The ABC Islands are Dutch relatives and quite safe as far as Caribbean Islands go....you can read the State Department info for each island, check their tourism websites, look at the ports of call forums here, check out their TripAdvisor forums, etc....lots and lots of info available about safety, things to do, etc....

From everything I have heard Aruba is one of the safest islands you can travel to. It is on my bucket list of islands to visit. I have heard great things about the island. I was in Curacao a few years back and it was beautiful. We took a ship excursion and never felt unsafe. I have never been to Bonaire, so I cannot comment. I would not hesitate to take a cruise to any of those islands. Have a great cruise!!

Not sure why you would think that. We were just in Aruba and Curacao in Feb. Honestly, the ABC islands are safer than a lot of the locations that cruise ships usually visit on eastern or western itineraries. We took island tours and had a great time. Aruba and Curacao are huge vacation spots for Americans and Europeans. And, from what I understand Bonaire is also. We're going to all three on our Nov 30 cruise and can't wait.

Edited by BND

Thank you for your responses guys and for the link, I will certainly do more research.. I just wanted to get opinions before starting to look things up.

We had to change our Navigator date that we originally had planned and the only other date with the room we wanted had these ports.... so I was trying to get some more information to make sure I still wanted to, but you guys are awesome... I appreciate the responses and will look more into it :)

I was looking at a cruise that went to Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao because those are places I have never been.

After mapping them and seeing their location and talking to my husband we started to hesitate because of how close it is to Columbia (Now there may be nothing wrong with Columbia and we may completely ignore, but we have heard bad things about lots of drug activities. I apologize if this information is inaccurate, but that is why I am here asking to get more information.)

I live in Houston. Traveling to these places might actualy improve my safety. ;)

Just the women in our group (5 of us) decided to see Aruba and Curacao on our own. We had a great time walking around, shopping having snacks and enjoying the sites. We never, at any time, felt unsafe. We stick to tourist areas when we venture out without a ship's excursion and we stick together and stay aware of our surroundings....just as we would do in a large American city we were unfamiliar with. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Curacao is one of our FAVORITES! You'll love it.

Aruba is extremely safe - we traveled there with our 2 year old son and took a cab around the island.

The tourist parts of Cartagena are extremely safe, and quite beautiful. We booked a private tour there and were very happy.

Edited by kitkat343

We've been to Aruba and Curacao on a cruise and have stayed a week on Aruba as well. Beautiful islands, never felt unsafe. Ships stop there weekly without incident. We're considering flying to Aruba next year for our 30th anniversary because the island was so beautiful, and the people so friendly.

Those three islands are my favorite Caribbean ports to visit. We've done the Southern itinerary four times and also spent a week at a resort in Aruba. I don't think you'll have any regrets if you decide to book this cruise. :)

I heartily agree with all those who said they loved the ABC islands.

I am a woman who travels solo 95% of the time. I frequently do southern Caribbean sailings and have taken many land-based vacations to those islands as well. I have yet to encounter any problems.

Have fun!

Aruba is extremely safe - we traveled there with our 2 year old son and took a cab around the island.

The tourist parts of Cartagena are extremely safe, and quite beautiful. We booked a private tour there and were very happy.

DITTO to the above post minus the two-yr-old :D. Bonaire and Curacao are also fine. Enjoy!!!:) FYI...Cartagena is in Colombia.

Yes, you are being paranoid you will be fine. Even though bad stuff can even happen in the safest places in the world too. Don't let that keep you from going to see some new ports of call.

Aruba and Curacao, on our visit, seemed very safe.

Two islands where there can be problems, I would say are St Lucia, where a

ships tour was held up at gunpoint, and Jamaica where I felt a bit intimidated if off the tourist areas.