Need thoughts regarding Princess theaters

swedish girl

We usually cruise on Celebrity but did one Princess cruise on Emerald. The only problem and disappointment was the theater for the shows. People who didn't show up at least 30 minutes early were turned away due to full capacity. We had to arrive an hour early for the early show to ensure two seats together and good seats, not by pillars. We saw others coming that early and many with books and laptops, reading ,waiting for the shows to begin. Is this true of all Princess ships? We are booked for an upcoming cruise on the Royal. Thanks for your help.

We usually cruise on Celebrity but did one Princess cruise on Emerald. The only problem and disappointment was the theater for the shows. People who didn't show up at least 30 minutes early were turned away due to full capacity. We had to arrive an hour early for the early show to ensure two seats together and good seats, not by pillars. We saw others coming that early and many with books and laptops, reading ,waiting for the shows to begin. Is this true of all Princess ships? We are booked for an upcoming cruise on the Royal. Thanks for your help.

When the capacity of the theater for the most part is 800 plus, of course it will be filled during popular shows. We always get there 30-45 minutes before showtime to ensure our desired seats.

We found the same on the Regal, especially their new signature shows. Better get your reading material ready. ;)

Yep. I bring a movie to watch before the show & hold a seat for the wife who trails along a little later. If you like chatting away during dinner having a leisurely meal, you might not get the seats you want & have to settle for something in the first or last row.

I'll bet you know that saving seats is against the rules and rude.:(

Saving a seat for your wife or husband is not against the rules. Saving seats for a number of people is against the rules. There is a big difference and it is a bit unreasonable to have a problem with saving one seat!

Edited by Theodorable

Saving a seat for your wife or husband is not against the rules. Saving seats for a number of people is against the rules. There is a big difference and it is a bit unreasonable to have a problem with saving one seat!

Hmmm. So where do we draw the line here? One's OK, but two is not? Your family but not your friends? Slippery slope here. Is it OK if I chairhog just one lounge? Just wondering if we're making up the rules as we go along.

Jim

We were on the Ruby Princess over Thanksgiving week. On the nights with three showtimes we would go to either the first or third one and had no problem walking right in less than 10 minutes before the start. I think when everyone looks at the Patter their eyes just gravitate to the middle time; fortunately for us we prefer dinner at that hour and catch the shows off-peak. I have always found on Princess there is sufficient variation from day to day with the different shows and alternatives in the other showrooms to dodge the most crowded times and still see most everything we wish to.

Does the theater in the Royal Princess also fill up quickly? How early do we need to arrive prior to the early show?

The theater in the Royal Princess has no sightline distractions, such as poles or pillars. They generally have 3 shows an evening for the productions shows, with the second show around 8 pm being the most crowded. For the first show or 3rd show, you can arrive 15 minutes early and find seats.

Comedians and guest entertainers will sometimes be scheduled more than one night. If there are two shows in one night, the first show is crowded and at the second, you can anticipate finding seats 15 minutes before show time.

If you need to be in the first row at any show, you should get there very early.

Every where we sat in the Royal theater, we had excellent views of the show.

I know that I've been saving a seat for her for years when I get there early & since it's OK with Princess I've got no problems with it- nor do others. After all what would you do with one seat anyway? Most people are looking for 2 seats together anyway.

Pillars in the Emerald Princess theater? Also--there is an announcement that saving of seats is not allowed. Since they don't say one seat, I guess that's okay? :rolleyes: As others have said, go to the later show if there is one.

Demand exceeds capacity on our last cruise on the Ruby, solution was as noted get there about 20' early, no different than popular movie, show without reservations.

The two times we saw the late night crowds were thinner for sure, YMMV.

Does the theater in the Royal Princess also fill up quickly? How early do we need to arrive prior to the early show?

We are Celebrity cruisers who recently sailed Royal Princess. You should arrive 30 minutes before the show to get a choice of seats. The shows are about 30 minutes long.

Princess Theater doesn't have pillars. Vista lounge has pillars and weird seating. It really bugs me. I agree with others that the later show is generally easier to get good seating. Just be glad you aren't in a wheelchair. We have cruised twice with our son who is in a wheelchair and we had to sit in the very back of the theater behind the rows of seats and, if we wanted to sit with our son, we had to drag in chairs from outside the theater.

So I guess the next time your wife is going to be a little slower you should just tell her that yu are not allowed to save the seat on either side of you. Tell her it is a Princess policy and she will incur the wrath of some of your fellow posters on CC. I bet she will have a few choice words about CC and Princess. And you will still be saving a deat for her. Enjoy yourself and pay attention to SHE WHO MUST BE PLEASED.

And the theaters which have wheelchair seating at the back of the theater only have six such seats, three on each side, with a single companion seat next to it. Frequently, no matter how early you arrive there would be an able bodied person in the companion seat. I'd point out to them that they need to sit elsewhere.

Besides the lack of seating, there is another problem with the seats at the back of the theater. People who arrive late stand behind you, and use the back of your scooter/wheelchair seat as a balance point, holding on to it. It is very annoying, to say the least.

I can transfer, and on the Crown Princess (and perhaps other new ones, I haven't been on them) there are seats on the ground floor, right side, about six of them on the outer aisle, which have lifting arms. If you can transfer, you can lift the arm and slide in, and someone can park your chair/scooter for you against the wall nearby. For once I can see the performers faces!

M.

Princess Theater doesn't have pillars. Vista lounge has pillars and weird seating. It really bugs me. I agree with others that the later show is generally easier to get good seating. Just be glad you aren't in a wheelchair. We have cruised twice with our son who is in a wheelchair and we had to sit in the very back of the theater behind the rows of seats and, if we wanted to sit with our son, we had to drag in chairs from outside the theater.

I could have not said it any better my self.

Do you really think that a couple that has been sitting in the theater for 30 or 40 minutes waiting and one of them has to use the rest room that anyone is going to give up that seat. Of course not. Saving blocks of seats is not permitted.