Positive spin on Dynamic Dining

MTD is built in to the DD scheme, as you choose both the venue and time you prefer for dinner each night.

This is good information.

One more question. If we cruise on a ship with DD, will we have to make a reservation each night? With MTD as is stands now, we have the flexibility of not reserving a specific time for dinner each night. We enjoy this aspect of our cruises.

One more question. If we cruise on a ship with DD, will we have to make a reservation each night? With MTD as is stands now, we have the flexibility of not reserving a specific time for dinner each night. We enjoy this aspect of our cruises.

You dont have to. They keep back some space for walk ups however its subject to availability on the night so you may not be successful in getting into the restaurant you want when you want.

You dont have to. They keep back some space for walk ups however its subject to availability on the night so you may not be successful in getting into the restaurant you want when you want.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my question. I'm guessing that in this type of situation, with DD MTD, our best choice would be to try and get there early. We really like to "go with the flow" on vacations.

Happy cruising!

On my 10 day Legend 3 weeks ago, I was not allowed to walk up to MTD between the times of 6pm-7:30pm as it was fully pre-booked every evening, and unless someone cancelled, I would be waiting for a long time per the head waiters and head maitre'D. There was normally a line up at least 10 couples long as I walked out of MTD about 7pm.

On my 11 day Quantum cruise last December I absolutely was able to go to any restaurant I wanted, on any night I wanted, whenever I wanted. I was able to change reservations on the fly on several occassions, and unlike the rigid MDR and MTD, on 2 nights was able to book dinner with new friends from the CL without disrupting their very rigid MDR service of set tables with set cruisers.

Other cruisers had very dissatisfying experiences, read their thoughts as they have to be legit. In my opinion: if an extremely high criteria for you to enjoy your cruise if having dinner at the exact same time every night, on the exact same table, in the exact same seat, with the exact same people, with the exact same waiters, with only 8 choices per night (plus the classic menu) then absolutely do not even attempt Dynamic Dining

Dynamic Dining will be great for you if you like to have control, if you like to make decisions, if you like change and different things, if you like to try different menus and different venues, if you like a different view from a different table each night. What I loved the best was meeting various different cruisers on various nights on shared tables, and even though never eating with them again seeing them all over the ship and even on an excursion together. I had never had as many friendships on board as I did on Quantum do to the many opportunities to meet so many more people. It requires effort, and absolutely understandably many of us go on vacation to totally shut down (which I just did on Legend) and want everything done in front of them without thinking at all nor having to worry about it. There are definite pros and cons to both systems.

I still like MDR, but have made incredible long lasting friends with MTD and Dynamic as well.

Think if you were on holiday in Vegas instead of living there. You go to a different restaurant every night, possibly at different times because you're going to a show or whatever.

That's pretty much it, except you can book all your restaurants in advance if you wish......

Thank you for that explanation.

It seems very similar to what I've heard Disney does.

I like the idea of rotating around different restaurants but I can see it meaning that my cruise planner needs to involve a well executed shcedule to make sure we have dinner when we want to.

I do, however, think I will miss the experience of having the same waitstaff every night. On the Allure in February, it was a spectacular experience in the MDR because our waitstaff knew us and knew what we wanted and didn't. We had a drink waiting there for us every night when we walked in.

We had a drink waiting there for us every night when we walked in.

How does the waiter know what wine you are going to order when you don't know what you are going to eat until you read the menu??:confused:

Can the waiter tell me next week's lotto numbers too??!

How does the waiter know what wine you are going to order when you don't know what you are going to eat until you read the menu??:confused:

Can the waiter tell me next week's lotto numbers too??!

I drink a martini before dinner (sometimes more than one. Haha). My husband drinks gin and tonic and my neighbor also drinks a martini.

Each night, all three of us had our pre-dinner cocktail waiting for us when we walked in. It was sensational service from start to finish even if some of the meals fell short of expectation.

Some of the dishes were absolutely wonderful though.

If they are having trouble filling up Anthem, I'm more inclined to believe that it's the cruise prices and not Dynamic Dining. I live less than an hour from Bayonne, and would love to give Anthem a shot, but as much as as I want to book a cruise locally, I can't justify those prices for a family of 4.

Thank you for that explanation.

It seems very similar to what I've heard Disney does.

I like the idea of rotating around different restaurants but I can see it meaning that my cruise planner needs to involve a well executed shcedule to make sure we have dinner when we want to.

I do, however, think I will miss the experience of having the same waitstaff every night. On the Allure in February, it was a spectacular experience in the MDR because our waitstaff knew us and knew what we wanted and didn't. We had a drink waiting there for us every night when we walked in.

I think people who are more used to non all-inclusive land based holidays will find it easier, but that's exactly what you have to do - find a restaurant to eat every night. I suspect it's people who take only, or mostly, cruises and all- inclusive who are struggling with the concept.

If you want the same wait staff every night, then go for DD Classic - you keep the same waiters and table mates every night, same time but rotate through the different restaurants. RCI choose the allocation of restaurants, and you don't do anything but turn up!

I'm sure they were many complaints about Dynamic Dining from those who sailed on Quantum. But I think that's only part of the problem with the possible low number of Anthem bookings.

Royal Caribbean in the past has said that repeat cruisers are their "bread and butter". Lately it seems they are taking their "bread and butter" for granted and focusing on attracting a newer clientele from younger cruisers locally and the newly emerging China market. That's where Dynamic Dining comes from. Coincidentally, I've read that they do not serve bread and butter in Silk, the Asian-themed restaurant.

Also, the cruiseline is looking to attract new cruisers who are willing and able to spend more. More higher end products in the onboard shops to buying a photo package. Repeat cruisers tend to look for discounts, buy less since they already have enough photos and stuff from previous cruises, and take full advantage of perks offered through Crown & Anchor Society like free drinks at certain levels.

For many years, Explorer was home ported at Cape Liberty, NJ. She had her repeat cruisers, and the only year round ship serving the Northeast for Royal Caribbean. When it was time for a change, a brand new ship (Quantum) came to replace her. A brand new ship costs more to sail in the inaugural year, then the cost should start to go down in subsequent years. With Quantum going to China during the first year, Liberty has been brought in, but seems to be charging Quantum prices.

Although Anthem starts her inaugural year in Southampton, England, she then goes to Cape Liberty, NJ to replace Quantum (and Liberty), but still charging 1st year prices as the ship is new and still in her first year.

For those who sail Cape Liberty as repeat cruisers, they may have been will to pay top dollar to sail a new class of ship once. Now they're being asked to do it again on another ship with the same design, layout, and amenities as the one the year before. The new ship won't be as new to the repeat cruiser, and they may not have been Wowed the first time, so probably not many of them booking another cruise at top dollar.

Had Quantum stayed at Cape Liberty year round as planned, I think there may have been more repeat cruisers if the cost went down. But since Royal Caribbean has been raising prices on everything, probably doesn't make a difference.

Edited by TM38Rob

We got moved into the early dining which at this point is still traditional dining but the hope is, from what I've gathered from speaking to Royal and my TA, is that traditional dining will become Classic 1 and Classic 2 based on early or late.

And that you will go to different venues every night with the same wait staff and at the same time. Your formal nights will be the nights you rotate into The Grand Dining Room. And of course there is always the specialty dining venues or suite only dining room of you are in that category of room.

i hope it ends up like that.

That will be awesome.

I have nothing. DW and I were on the Dec 12 Q sailing. And on top of that, we just booked an Anthem cruise the other day! I'd like 100 OBC! What the heck!

I sailed the Q in Jan and didn't get the email but called since I am already booked on Anthem. I was told I could have it applied however they would have to re-price my cruise at today's price which is more than the 100 obc so it is no good for me but if you just booked then I would call C&A and if your price is still the same then you can have it applied. Good Luck.

On my 10 day Legend 3 weeks ago, I was not allowed to walk up to MTD between the times of 6pm-7:30pm as it was fully pre-booked every evening, and unless someone cancelled, I would be waiting for a long time per the head waiters and head maitre'D. There was normally a line up at least 10 couples long as I walked out of MTD about 7pm.

On my 11 day Quantum cruise last December I absolutely was able to go to any restaurant I wanted, on any night I wanted, whenever I wanted. I was able to change reservations on the fly on several occassions, and unlike the rigid MDR and MTD, on 2 nights was able to book dinner with new friends from the CL without disrupting their very rigid MDR service of set tables with set cruisers.

Other cruisers had very dissatisfying experiences, read their thoughts as they have to be legit. In my opinion: if an extremely high criteria for you to enjoy your cruise if having dinner at the exact same time every night, on the exact same table, in the exact same seat, with the exact same people, with the exact same waiters, with only 8 choices per night (plus the classic menu) then absolutely do not even attempt Dynamic Dining

Dynamic Dining will be great for you if you like to have control, if you like to make decisions, if you like change and different things, if you like to try different menus and different venues, if you like a different view from a different table each night. What I loved the best was meeting various different cruisers on various nights on shared tables, and even though never eating with them again seeing them all over the ship and even on an excursion together. I had never had as many friendships on board as I did on Quantum do to the many opportunities to meet so many more people. It requires effort, and absolutely understandably many of us go on vacation to totally shut down (which I just did on Legend) and want everything done in front of them without thinking at all nor having to worry about it. There are definite pros and cons to both systems.

I still like MDR, but have made incredible long lasting friends with MTD and Dynamic as well.

That is absolutely the BEST description of how it works and how to approach it!!

Who remembers the outcry at the introduction of MTD....it was as if it was the end of the civilised world as we know it.....:rolleyes:

If they are having trouble filling up Anthem, I'm more inclined to believe that it's the cruise prices and not Dynamic Dining. I live less than an hour from Bayonne, and would love to give Anthem a shot, but as much as as I want to book a cruise locally, I can't justify those prices for a family of 4.

I received the $100 email offer. Combined with RCL not sailing through the Panama Canal (a bucket list item I have been planning for 2 years with what I thought would be the now re-deployed to Europe Jewel) plus recent CC posts I have read of several cruisers being surprised that the per diem on Anthem is actually less than many other ships, I pulled up several sailings for 2016 and have been surprised by the pricing, even with not the hugest selection of cabins. Check out the 9-day May 5, 2016... OV balconies same price as 7-day Allure & Oasis for example.

Out of the blue, and primarily from that email from Bayley, I now have an hold on this sailing :D:D:D... with D+ balcony discount, $100 email from Bayley. + current TA perks it's actually a really good price compared to many other sailings.

Royal Caribbean in the past has said that repeat cruisers are their "bread and butter". Lately it seems they are taking their "bread and butter" for granted and focusing on attracting a newer clientele from younger cruisers locally and the newly emerging China market.

Although Anthem starts her inaugural year in Southampton, England, she then goes to Cape Liberty, NJ to replace Quantum (and Liberty), but still charging 1st year prices as the ship is new and still in her first year.

See above, Having looked closely at Q prices last year I feel Anthem pricing is less. This was assumed could happen by several posters in various threads when many never claiming "to never saill RCL" again on many threads as perhaps with the "hatred" of Q it could spill over to fewer bookings on Anthem. This could be true.

I too agree with your "attracting newer clientele" statement 100%. But they've got this D+'er excited about this class of ship! I've said this many times on many threads... this ship is so different than a "normal" RCL offering that you could change the name on the hull to "ACME Cruise Lines" and you wouldn't know the difference. I did not feel at home on Q for at least 3 days, it was strange, wasn't RCL at all to me. But I ended up totally loving everything about this class of ship. I feel that if one does not do well with change, Quantum Class is definitely not good for them.

Who remembers the outcry at the introduction of MTD....it was as if it was the end of the civilised world as we know it.....:rolleyes:

If people didn't step up and express their support for traditional dining then and now (introduction of MTD and Dynamic Dining), all ships may have been converted to all MTD like Norwegian's Freestyle dining then and to all Dynamic Dining now.

While Dynamic Dining works for some, it doesn't work for everybody. People are not always vocal and vote with their wallets. Essentially it looks like Royal Caribbean copied Norwegian's Freestyle with Dynamic Dining and tried to one up them by offering 4 dining rooms with a different fixed menu for each venue whereas Norwegian's Freestyle offers a rotating menu in two dining rooms.

With Dynamic Dining Classic, Royal Caribbean copied the Disney model of rotating dining rooms and keeping the same wait staff and tablemates each night. Not exactly "Original Coke" as another poster compared Dynamic Dining to "New Coke" as Dynamic Dining Classic does not offer a fixed dining room with a rotating menu. Close enough I suppose.

I wasn't too worried at the time about MTD at that time as there was still a choice between traditional dining and My Time Dining. However, those that were really worried saw their fears realized with the introduction of Dynamic Dining that didn't offer a choice and completely took away traditional dining. While there is now a choice with Dynamic Dining Classic, you still have to keep track of which dining room you are eating in on which night.

Is it the end of civilization? No, not for most people. But for some, it could be the end of cruising for them. Some people like change. Others find something they like or have grown accustomed to and don't see the need to fix something that wasn't broken. Change for the sake of change isn't always good, change can also be bad. Works both ways.

Edited by TM38Rob

We got moved into the early dining which at this point is still traditional dining but the hope is, from what I've gathered from speaking to Royal and my TA, is that traditional dining will become Classic 1 and Classic 2 based on early or late.

And that you will go to different venues every night with the same wait staff and at the same time. Your formal nights will be the nights you rotate into The Grand Dining Room. And of course there is always the specialty dining venues or suite only dining room of you are in that category of room.

i hope it ends up like that.

That will be awesome.

That's exactly how classic works

How often does the menu in you local restaurant change??

I hardly call 8 choices of entrée, on a menu that changes twice a week 'limited'.

There were times the MDR menu had nothing on that I wanted, where as with these menus I am spoilt for choice. JMHO.

Maybe you should have gone to the WJ if there was nothing you wanted. That's exactly what DD will force many cruisers to do with DD.

The entire DD concept is fake. Just update the current MDR menus with the new choices and we'll call it a day.

Maybe you should have gone to the WJ if there was nothing you wanted. That's exactly what DD will force many cruisers to do with DD.

The entire DD concept is fake. Just update the current MDR menus with the new choices and we'll call it a day.

In the post you quoted, I think they were referring to the MDR rotating menus on other ships as Quantum-class ships have no MDR. With DD, they feel they have more choices where they can order every dish they'd like to try with a different one each night whereas in the MDR there may have been two entrees they like on one night and then none they like on the next night.

You are right, though, about DD forcing many cruisers to the WJ as the WJ is one of the "restaurants" in DD, along with all the upcharge Specialty Restaurants.

Wouldn't surprise me if in the next 5 years the WJ will be the only "free" option for dinner and a dining package for extra cost offered to eat in the current "complimentary" DD venues with wait staff, or pay an upcharge per meal like in the Specialty Restaurants.

On my last cruise on the Oasis, the MDRs were redesigned for DD, but still operate as MDRs. I was in the middle MDR where it is split between MTD and traditional dining, and I did the latter with an early seating. On the first night I went to the left and sat down at my assigned table right away while there was an extremely long line for MTD on the right. After that, MDR had many empty tables and much shorter lines for MTD. They kept sending my assistant waiter to the WJ as they were very busy up there during dinner. Guess people don't like to wait in a long line to eat.

Edited by TM38Rob

I was on the 12 Dec Quantum cruise, and did receive the letter...

One minor confusion...in the Cruise Critic News item regarding this...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6309

it states that the offer is for those selecting the flexibility of Dynamic Dining...

but it does not specifically say whether one has to select the 'DD Classic' or 'DD Choice'....so can one take the 'Classic', and still receive the OBC?