RCL to end last minute discounting ??

I never got the loyalty thing too boring when you cruise multiple times a year.

Always mixed it up, great feeling trying out something new first cruise buzz, alternate with an old favourite.

I agree . Loyalty is for family and friends .

Having said that RC has used it most effectively . Kinda makes me laugh when people post sad hurt

comments as if they have been betrayed by an old friend . Sheesh.

This is how we stand now. No cruises booked, and no plans to book with RCI unless their prices come down and they stop with the bogus promotions. As long as I can get better deals on other lines, that's where I will spend my money

We have 13 booked, that includes 5 booked on Oasis last week. Pricing was acceptable. Would book more, but that pesky work gets in the way. :cool:

Fain told analysts on the company's first quarter earnings call that the policy had just started in March and the aim is to 'get our customers out of this used-car salesman mentality.'

Gee whiz, thanks a lot Mr Fain. I'm all choked up by your concern for me like that. I mean, after all, who wants to save money on a trip. Its so much better to pay full price.

Hey, here's a thought. If you want to get out of the used car mindset, why not stop with the BS sales? You know, the ones where you say 2nd passenger free after doubling the price?

Good God, these CEOs never cease to amaze me with their complete lack of connection to reality.

Bravo! well said.

I never thought I'd say this, but I am getting VERY close to the same decision. I get emails from NCL all the time with insane deals, free dining option for the entire cruise and other incentives. I mean just different things to entice you to book. RCCL does nothing like that. They are starting to really annoy with the nickel and dimming BS. We love doing RCCL because they have HUGE ships and sail from NJ and we live in NJ. BUT, big but NCL now has the Breakaway in NYC. Carnival is putting a brand new very large ship in NYC. Both huge and cheaper rates. We just might switch.

3 questions

How long can NCL give away the store and remain in business?

If everyone gets free specialty dining is it really special and how are they going to fit all those passengers in the aforementioned venues?

Why do you think NCL has a big but? :what:

Punctuation is your friend. ;)

3 questions

If everyone gets free specialty dining is it really special and how are they going to fit all those passengers in the aforementioned venues?

I bet NCL is business as long as RCCL is. This is the problem with this forum. I was, and really still am at the moment a loyal RCCL customer, but in my opinion they are nickel and diming you on everything. The cruise fares are extremely high. The minute I express this, and talk about trying a different line you get negativity back. Its OK, it competition. They need to compete with better fares, better deals. Taking away last minute deals, let the ships float away empty for all I care.

No more discounting?? May 24, Vision of the Seas, 12 day Med cruise. Royal Caribbean web site show $1149 for an oceanview guarantee. RCL's Tuesday special has it for $899, I think that's a discount. Credibility??

Fain is talking about DEEP discounts and closer in to the sailing date - that kind of price swing happens all the time even before final payment. For example: last August the cheapest inside cabin on the Legend TA was over $1200pp but when they had too many empty ones, the Z GTY rate fell to $409pp about 30 days out. Was assigned an L cabin that before the sale was almost $1600pp. The ship still sailed with over 40 empty cabins. Granted, TAs are slightly different kind of category and may not follow typical pricing trends and may be exempt from Fain's strategy.

Fain is talking about DEEP discounts and closer in to the sailing date - that kind of price swing happens all the time even before final payment. For example: last August the cheapest inside cabin on the Legend TA was over $1200pp but when they had too many empty ones, the Z GTY rate fell to $409pp about 30 days out. Was assigned an L cabin that before the sale was almost $1600pp. The ship still sailed with over 40 empty cabins. Granted, TAs are slightly different kind of category and may not follow typical pricing trends and may be exempt from Fain's strategy.

That Vision 12n med is at £383inc tax in the UK thats a base fare of £289 + 94 tax ( $437 + $142 )

Med Cruise at deep discount TA prices.

23 days out, must be one of those on the 10 day no discount program

but in my opinion they are nickel and diming you on everything. The cruise fares are extremely high. The minute I express this, and talk about trying a different line you get negativity back. Its OK, it competition. They need to compete with better fares, better deals. Taking away last minute deals, let the ships float away empty for all I care.

Lots of tips for you on this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=785229

I bet NCL is business as long as RCCL is. This is the problem with this forum. I was, and really still am at the moment a loyal RCCL customer, but in my opinion they are nickel and diming you on everything. The cruise fares are extremely high. The minute I express this, and talk about trying a different line you get negativity back. Its OK, it competition. They need to compete with better fares, better deals. Taking away last minute deals, let the ships float away empty for all I care.

I guess they can chose to compete if they think it is in their best intetest

I believe you used the phrase "insane deals"

I was just curious how that is sustainable in the long run

The dining option question was all about capacity, and is legitimate

The big but question was childish, but I had to read that sentence a couple times to figure it out. :what:

I like this. You won't feel like an idiot for paying much more for a similar cabin that gets discounted after final, and the ship won't be as crowded.

But what I think happened is that people got tired of the games and decided to start booking after final. He's trying to close off every loophole there is to get a cheaper price. Not sure if it will work as people will just stop booking or go somewhere else.

I wonder if this ends the ggg sale for other than 3-4 night cruises.

You are so right! I got tired of booking early, to see prices drop. I wish they would create lower reasonable pricing and stick with it! Secondly, not raise pricing to cover "free/included" perks.

I have read that 3/4 night sailings won't have the same restrictions since many of those sailings are booked much closer to the date of sailing.

You are so right! I got tired of booking early, to see prices drop. I wish they would create lower reasonable pricing and stick with it! Secondly, not raise pricing to cover "free/included" perks.

I have read that 3/4 night sailings won't have the same restrictions since many of those sailings are booked much closer to the date of sailing.

new game in town for the short cruises,

NCL have anounced AI for their shorties will be the norm for next year.

That Vision 12n med is at £383inc tax in the UK thats a base fare of £289 + 94 tax ( $437 + $142 )

Med Cruise at deep discount TA prices.

23 days out, must be one of those on the 10 day no discount program

I think Fain was mostly talking about Carribean sailings - but I get the point, that is a deep discount.

It will only apply to North America sailings.

What is next CEO Fain? Charging for baggage? Charging to use public bathrooms around the ships? Perhaps a fee to look at the sky or the ocean on sea days? I'm tired of this stuff from this company. NCL and Carnival doesn't do this BS. Cruises from both of those companies are quite reasonable, and they are looking more and more desirable. I know I will negativity back for saying that, but oh well.

We love the Oasis and the Allure, however, with the new pricing being higher, we have turned to NCL for our future bookings. The price of suites on the 2 RC ships vs the Haven suite price on NCL is almost equal. However, with their present promotion, NCL is offering unlimited specialty dining, the unlimited drink package, paid gratuities and credits for excursion purchases. additionally, in NCL suites, one has the services of a butler and the haven for suite guests which besides having a lounge and restaurant has a pool, lounging area and a hot tub. It was no contest, we booked a cruise on both the Escape and the Getaway.

You are so right! I got tired of booking early, to see prices drop.

I have to address this from the other side. My work prevents me from booking more than 2-3 months in advance, if that. So I often am one of those last-minute bookers. The advantage is that I often do score some really good deals. I just watch cruises I am interested in and if they go down to an acceptable level, I buy. However, sometimes they don't and I lose out. So there are pros and cons to each.

I have to address this from the other side. My work prevents me from booking more than 2-3 months in advance, if that. So I often am one of those last-minute bookers. The advantage is that I often do score some really good deals. I just watch cruises I am interested in and if they go down to an acceptable level, I buy. However, sometimes they don't and I lose out. So there are pros and cons to each.

I can agree that it is a crap shoot. Book early and pay less or pay more with the potential of the same for booking later.

3 questions

I suspect as long as RCL. For example in 2014 they had better revenue per passenger per day numbers than RCL 229.2 compared to 219.9. NCL also ran 11% net income compared to RCL's 9.5%. They are also less leveraged with debt as a percentage of revenue than RCL.

Edited by RDC1

I suspect as long as RCL. For example in 2014 they had better revenue per passenger per day numbers than RCL 229.2 compared to 219.9. NCL also ran 11% net income compared to RCL's 9.5%. They are also less leveraged with debt as a percentage of revenue than RCL.

Yeah I agree, this idea that RCCL is the only company that knows how to put on a good cruise is nuts. We are gonna try the NCL Breakaway. I am just not happy with what RCCL is doing right now, sorry its just how I feel.

• 9 months later...

Update to the no-last-minute-discounts policy during the quarterly earnings call.

http://www.royalcaribbean blog.com/2016/02/02/royal-caribbean-expands-and-simplifies-no-last-minute-discount-cruises-policy

During its fourth quarter earnings call today, Royal Caribbean announced it was expanding its price integrity policy to not offer any new discounts within 30 days of a sailing, on all Royal Caribbean cruises (excluding 3 and 4 night sailings).

The price integrity policy has been in place for about a year in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Ireland markets and protects against last minute discounts in the weeks leading up to a cruise. Up until now, the exact time of when the policy became effective depended on the sailing, and could be within the last 10, 30 or 40 days.

In December 2015, Royal Caribbean decided to alter the policy, as a means of simplifying it, by stating there will be no price drops 30 days before any Royal Caribbean cruise, not including 3 or 4 night cruises.

Royal Caribbean Ltd Chairman and CEO Richard Fain explained that the price integrity policy is easier in the public's point of view, as well as the revenue managers and that it is important to have a clear policy that everyone can understand.

"All of this makes the policy easier to understand and to implement. We are a strong believer that clarity and specificity in a program like this is important because otherwise, the exceptions undermine the integrity of the program, even if they are in fact very rare. "

"During this time, we have granted no exceptions to the policy since its adoption, and we have no intention of doing so now. Nevertheless, we have seen a double digit percentage improvement in the booking window over this period, and we believe that the policy helps solidify brand preference. "

"An unforeseen benefit we have found is the reduced number of bookings taken at a discount before we get to the focus period. Living the spirit of the policy has helped our revenue managers make better pricing decisions and it has been roundly applauded by the travel agents that are so central to our success."

"When we introduced the policy, we were transparent with you all that an upfront cost would result in some cabins going empty rather than being filled at deep last minute discounts. We know that in 2016 we will still see some residual impact relating to these empty cabins, but by 2017, we feel comfortable that the impact will be positive."

Fain also added that they feel they have the policy right, and they do not expect to make any further changes to the policy in the near future.

Most of the discounting was and somewhat is at 30-60 days out - not so much last minute. I'm not sure why they mentioned the UK and Irish markets since they don't normally get price drops anyway. It will be interesting to see the sailing capacity - I have a feeling it will be little changed form the 104% of past years.