Norwegian Sky to become all inclusive!

Topo Gigio

If you had written down the price for your room class for October 2016 before the change in policy then we could see what the actually price change has been since price increases this far out would be highly unlikely.

The other thing you need to consider by your metric is the pricing on other lines 4 day cruises for the same time period next year. Are they currently more/less? Do they offer free drinks?

Good questions.

The OG category room that is $409 for October 2016 was $289 before this new All-Inclusive Promotion

IF Category (Currently cheapest) that is $339 for the October 2016 sailing was $229 before this new All-Inclusive Promotion.

Current Prices for Carnival Sensation sailing same week on a 4 day is

$229 interior, $279 Oceanview. No drink promos included.

Enchantment of the Seas same week is

$219 interior, $259 for oceanview. No drink promos are included. But we are Diamond members and so we get 3+ hours of open bar each night + 3 drinks loaded on our Seapass to use during that same time frame.

YMMV

The Sky and Enchantment line up because each is in a port every day, with 1 port being a private island stop where NCL's package would work, but as a Diamond member I get no drinks at Coco Cay. Still, it would be very hard for me to spend that $300 savings in 3 days on drinks.

Like I said I think it is a good promo for Norwegian. I expect it to be advertised heavily and they will probably generate a lot of bookings. Just depends what you are looking for on your cruise.

seeing that i travel solo mainly in ships that have the studio cabins, all of the ncl promos im not available for me.

so traveling on the sky in april 25 for 4 nights i can sail in a inside that includes the drinks....for $883

or i can sail on the getaway in a studio for 7 nights that includes the havest caye in belize ( 4 ports total) for $1028

difference of $145

with flights from RDU i would not do the 4 nights to the bahamas . even with the drinks ...getaway a better 'deal' for me if I were sailing ncl next year.

Now if i lived in florida..then probably, however, i think that still is a lot for 4 nights ..but 3 and 4 night cruises.. are a waste of money for me considering im flying.

I would have to price a true AI that included air for the same time frame and days to get a better comparison.

i understand time of year will vary in price.

Edited by tiffygirl

Good questions.

The OG category room that is $409 for October 2016 was $289 before this new All-Inclusive Promotion

IF Category (Currently cheapest) that is $339 for the October 2016 sailing was $229 before this new All-Inclusive Promotion.

Current Prices for Carnival Sensation sailing same week on a 4 day is

$229 interior, $279 Oceanview. No drink promos included.

Enchantment of the Seas same week is

$219 interior, $259 for oceanview. No drink promos are included. But we are Diamond members and so we get 3+ hours of open bar each night + 3 drinks loaded on our Seapass to use during that same time frame.

YMMV

The Sky and Enchantment line up because each is in a port every day, with 1 port being a private island stop where NCL's package would work, but as a Diamond member I get no drinks at Coco Cay. Still, it would be very hard for me to spend that $300 savings in 3 days on drinks.

Like I said I think it is a good promo for Norwegian. I expect it to be advertised heavily and they will probably generate a lot of bookings. Just depends what you are looking for on your cruise.

That's some good info. Now I can compare everything better and see that they did pretty much roll the price of a UDP into the fares (minus 1 day) and they know they will make up the difference with people who don't drink and people under 21 that will only be able to get soda. Also I am kinda surprised that NCL had a initial higher price for a 4 day before the promo. Guess they decided to differentiate it by increasing the prices and offering "free" drinks under $11.

I have been cruising NCL twice a year since 2009 then once a year and lately once every two years. I have always booked the new NCL ship even before she left port (Epic and Getaway). I was planning on booking Escape but the prices are high even through 2016. So I expected to take another Sky cruise for 2016. I am not sure I fit the NCL demographic. Ever since I returned home from my February 2015 Getaway cruise my email box has daily offers of "Hurry deal expires for UBP and UDP". Then NCL started mailing me offers. 3 weeks ago my NCL PCC called me to ask me if I was going to book something. I explained to her I was waiting for all of the phony offers to expire and the cruise fares go down. She admitted to me that the fares jumped up in price again even after the Unlimited Deals offers. No biggie, I was not in a rush to book another cruise.

Today in my inbox another deal offer from NCL. I have no interest in adding a $750 alcohol package to my cruise. I also have no interest in the UDP. If you know me, I usually rave about the specialty restaurants. But they have went up in price so much over the years and the quality has consistently declined. With now an additional 18% added the value is not there for me and have no interest in the UDP. The new menus in the MDR are not too bad and have no interest in paying so much additional for meals that I think are no longer that special.

So then I decided to book another Sky cruise. Now NCL announced they are adding the drink packages to the bookings in 2016. No thanks. Many moons ago cruising was only for the rich. Then cruising became affordable for everyone. With the high fares and added packages and fees, I no longer think they are great vacation deals. I can book an oceanfront hotel resort in North Florida and pay for meals every night for half the price of a cruise. Now NCL has removed the Sky from the affordable inexpensive cruise list.

I am not completely ruling out another cruise over the next 2 years. Maybe the cruise bug will bite me again. But ever since I have gotten back from my Getaway cruise there has been endless calls, emails and mailings about booking NCL cruises at higher prices with package deals I have no interest in. I just don't think I fit the demographic NCL is trying to lure back. I spend $1500 minimally on board for every cruise. But I don't want these darn packages and high prices. I was hoping it was just a fad but now an entire cruise ship is devoted to this sales pitch.

I just think its time to go back to land vacations. They are such a better deal these days ;)

Edited by david_sobe

The promo states no specialty drinks and no room service. Would the specialty drinks be the "drink of the day" specials? Margaritas? Rum & Coke? Martini's?

I compared my rate in 2014 to the rate for the same month in 2016 and it went up by $315.00 for the 4 days. We had originally booked an inside but got upgraded to a oceanview. I only compared the inside rate and did not include the $60.00 to upgrade for the 4 days.

Edited by sunflower47

The promo states no specialty drinks and no room service. Would the specialty drinks be the "drink of the day" specials? Margaritas? Rum & Coke? Martini's?

I compared my rate in 2014 to the rate for the same month in 2016 and it went up by $315.00 for the 4 days. We had originally booked an inside but got upgraded to a oceanview. I only compared the inside rate and did not include the $60.00 to upgrade for the 4 days.

Specialty drinks refers to the coffee/cappuccino which is not included in the regular UBP either.

Today's tagline - "Free Entertainment" need I say more. :D

The promo states ... compared my rate in 2014 to the rate for the same month in 2016 and it went up by $315.00 for the 4 days. We had originally booked an inside but got upgraded to a oceanview. I only compared the inside rate and did not include the $60.00 to upgrade for the 4 days.

That's helpful to know, thanks. Someone will come along & discount your calculations with COLA & indexed rise in opearating costs, fuel & overhead expenses, yada yada. That's fine. Still, so it's up by what, $60+ per day x 4 days, that's total net cost difference for 2 to the stateroom, am I correct to conclude ?

-

Footnote for those unfamiliar with F&B costs, the typical markup for alcohol is 500% to 1000% - i.e. a glass of wine served carried a net cost of $1.25 and will be priced at $6.25 to as high as $11+ a glass. That's before adding any gratuity and/or tipping to the wine steward and for the server. Still feel like getting a nice deal and/or feel great about the promotion - good for you, now dream on about what a steal & go have another drink on the house ... guess who's laughing all the way while counting the change to the bank to deposit the pure profit.

Case in point - those $29 wine selection in specialty dining, they retailed for about $10 on land at the store - and, the liquor store owner made a profit too while selling it to you. So, what's the real costs to the cruiseline at the wholesale level in bulk - hurry up & get the promotion, what a deal ... seriously.

Edited by mking8288

Today's tagline - "Free Entertainment" need I say more. :D

That's helpful to know, thanks. Someone will come along & discount your calculations with COLA & indexed rise in opearating costs, fuel & overhead expenses, yada yada. That's fine. Still, so it's up by what, $60+ per day x 4 days, that's total net cost difference for 2 to the stateroom, am I correct to conclude ?

-

Footnote for those unfamiliar with F&B costs, the typical markup for alcohol is 500% to 1000% - i.e. a glass of wine served carried a net cost of $1.25 and will be priced at $6.25 to as high as $11+ a glass. That's before adding any gratuity and/or tipping to the wine steward and for the server. Still feel like getting a nice deal and/or feel great about the promotion - good for you, now dream on about what a steal & go have another drink on the house ... guess who's laughing all the way while counting the change to the bank to deposit the pure profit.

Case in point - those $29 wine selection in specialty dining, they retailed for about $10 on land at the store - and, the liquor store owner made a profit too while selling it to you. So, what's the real costs to the cruiseline at the wholesale level in bulk - hurry up & get the promotion, what a deal ... seriously.

NOW you figure out and realize how Del Rio /NCL winded up getting the extra $4-5 from the free promos - it was already accounted for, even the specialty restaurants and DSC. Its all about the markup for the extras like soda and alcohol, a simple accounting trick nothing more nothing less.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

I agree that cruising, especially solo cruising, doesn't represent the value it has for the past 15 years or so. If one cruise line seems to be remotely successful at whatever they're doing, the rest will surely follow. Personally, I'll still look at cruises with a "should cost" in mind, and will book only if a particular cruise fits my particular parameters...same as I've always done. I think it's a given that I'll either cruise less often or modify that "should cost."

Edited by buckirj1

Beginning 2016 it will be an all inclusive cruise ship with free dining and free booze throughout the cruise!

Scratch that ship off my list, unfortunately. A short "affordable" cruise where there is free booze. Now what could go wrong there?

Interesting development however. Could this be the wave of the future? I sure hope not because I don't drink enough to make it even remotely worth my while to buy a drink package and paying for it ahead of time is enough for me to say no thanks.

Another money grab IMO. Hike the price up because it includes drinks knowing full well most people will never come near drinking that much. To me, it means people like me get to subsidize the drinkers for the week.

Nope.

We're booked on a weekend Sky cruise Jan 2016. I read through the thread and didn't see this but apologies if it was already covered. From the terms and conditions FAQ:

If the Norwegian Sky 2016 sailing was booked prior to 4/22/15, will the All-Inclusive package be included?

Yes. All guests booked on Sky 2016 sailings will receive unlimited premium spirits, wines by the glass, and bottled or draft beer up to $11, and unlimited soda and juice.

I'm wondering if this will eventually go fleet wide but of course it's too early to tell.

I have mixed feeling about this. While it would me nice to pay one fare and not worry about our bar bill (one less extra expense to budget for), NCL is in business to make money (and rightfully so, like any other business) and so I'm sure cruise fares will be higher because of this, whether just on the Sky or if it goes fleet wide. I also wonder how bar service would be on a cruise where almost all the drinks are included in everyone's fare. While lying out on the top sun deck, would there still be bar waiters walking around to see if you'd like a drink? Would the bartenders water down the drinks more because passengers are more likely to order more drinks since they're "not paying for them" and also because there would be much more waste...people trying a drink to see if they like it, only drinking a few sips or maybe half the drink and then trying something else? And would it be so crowded by the bar that it takes a long time to get a drink?

I really don't mind things like drinks costing extra. I feel more in control of my spending, even though yes it's nice to know exactly how much something will cost in advance of the vacation. Does anyone think this will go fleet wide in the near future, and maybe they're "testing it out" on shorter cruises?

I'm wondering if this will eventually go fleet wide but of course it's too early to tell.

I have mixed feeling about this. While it would me nice to pay one fare and not worry about our bar bill (one less extra expense to budget for), NCL is in business to make money (and rightfully so, like any other business) and so I'm sure cruise fares will be higher because of this, whether just on the Sky or if it goes fleet wide. I also wonder how bar service would be on a cruise where almost all the drinks are included in everyone's fare. While lying out on the top sun deck, would there still be bar waiters walking around to see if you'd like a drink? Would the bartenders water down the drinks more because passengers are more likely to order more drinks since they're "not paying for them" and also because there would be much more waste...people trying a drink to see if they like it, only drinking a few sips or maybe half the drink and then trying something else? And would it be so crowded by the bar that it takes a long time to get a drink?

I really don't mind things like drinks costing extra. I feel more in control of my spending, even though yes it's nice to know exactly how much something will cost in advance of the vacation. Does anyone think this will go fleet wide in the near future, and maybe they're "testing it out" on shorter cruises?

We don't know at this point if it will go fleet wide. Just like the room service convience fee is on a two week test on two ships that's already lasted over a month. I don't even know if that ever went fleet wide or not. Did I miss it does anyone know if that's fleet wide?

I sure hope it goes fleet wide -that would be GREAT!!! Some of the CC complainers are already labeling these as 'booze cruises'. Get a life.

Crystal Cruises and some of the more expensive cruise lines are already all inclusive and there's no problem being waited on for drinks on those ships!

We don't know at this point if it will go fleet wide. Just like the room service convience fee is on a two week test on two ships that's already lasted over a month. I don't even know if that ever went fleet wide or not. Did I miss it does anyone know if that's fleet wide?

True, only time will tell. Our cruise is in July so I'm thinking more in terms of future cruises, because we've been cruising every other year for a while. I'm not sure if the room service fee is still only on BA and GA or if it's gone fleet wide. We are going on BA so it is in effect for us, but the only RS we've ever ordered is continental breakfast and they do not charge the delivery fee for that between 6 and 10am. That is the only update I'm sure about.

I sure hope it goes fleet wide -that would be GREAT!!! Some of the CC complainers are already labeling these as 'booze cruises'. Get a life.

Crystal Cruises and some of the more expensive cruise lines are already all inclusive and there's no problem being waited on for drinks on those ships!

Very true, it doesn't mean the cruises will all of a sudden become booze cruises. The behavior of passengers on a cruise ship depends on who is actually cruising on any given sailing. And plenty of college students going away for spring break behave maturely and respectfully, for example. Passenger behavior on any sailing, alcohol included or not, depends on the exact passengers who are on that ship at that time. Plenty of people in this world drink a lot but behave respectfully, and plenty of people don't drink alcohol at all but act like jerks because of their overall personality.

I know that the more expensive lines include alcohol and have been reported to have outstanding service, but that's just the thing...they are really expensive and they are not affordable to many people. I'm just hoping NCL doesn't cut back on bar service (on the Sky once this takes effect, or on every ship IF this eventually goes fleet wide) to keep fares reasonable, and of course I'm also hoping that fares don't become unaffordable to most people who could afford to cruise with them now.

Edited by bangzoom6877

They do still have few $199 4 night cruises on Sky in 2016... those seem like they are the best deal, and also in the off peak season...

Over the 52 weeks (104 cruises) of 2016, that price point is only available for one single sailing . . . but, yep, it's there. ;)

Most are significantly higher.

I have not read this entire thread. But I may be in the minority that does not like this idea at all. Let me explain why. Alcohol sales for a cruise line are major bucks. This will always inflate the price of the Sky cruise to make up for loss of alcohol sales. Next is the crowds hovering over the bars trying to get a drink. I also think this will increase the amount of dumb drunks on board.

I just see it difficult to get a drink laying at the pool.

I have not read the responses and this is just my thoughts on this.

I just heard about this and we were just off the Sky in November. I ONLY booked this cruise to add on to a cruise off the Sun and made it somewhat of a back-to-back cruise for us. I would normally NEVER take a 3, 4 or 5 day cruise because it cost too much to fly there.

I was a little concerned when we booked her because I had heard so many stories about it being a "booze" cruise and that people only take her for a short getaway and to party it up. Well, we have a little one we cruise with and I was really hoping for the best after booking.

We had a wonderful time and didn't feel like this was a booze cruise at all. But now....if they are going to make it unlimited alcohol...yep, I would say that you will probably be able to officially call this a booze cruise now. I would not book it at all knowing this (although not knocking it and know that others might be looking for this). Just not my thing.

Just my thoughts. :o

I have not read this entire thread. But I may be in the minority that does not like this idea at all. Let me explain why. Alcohol sales for a cruise line are major bucks. This will always inflate the price of the Sky cruise to make up for loss of alcohol sales. Next is the crowds hovering over the bars trying to get a drink. I also think this will increase the amount of dumb drunks on board.

I just see it difficult to get a drink laying at the pool.

When were you planning on cruising on the Sky?