Baggage Question

Hello again!

Does RCCL limit the number of bags you can check for a 7 night cruise on Grandeur? We only have rolling bags that are airplane carry-on size. My parents are letting us borrow one rolling bag that is bigger than carry-on but not huge. Our plan is to use that, one of the carry-on size bags and another bag we have to check, and then bring on our backpacks, so it would be a total of 5 bags between the two of us. We are both over 6 ft tall so our clothes and shoes take up a lot of space no matter how we fold them/roll them, etc. We are trying not to have to purchase another "mid size" bag.

Also any problems getting the checked bags to the cabin? Do they open all the bags and search them?

Thank you!

That's alot of bags but I don't think there is a limit. I've seen people bring alot more than that. I remember seeing someone bring 4 large bags and 4 carry on's for 4 people. I find it amazing what people bring. Honestly you probably wont wear half your clothes that you bring.

Hello again!

Does RCCL limit the number of bags you can check for a 7 night cruise on Grandeur? We only have rolling bags that are airplane carry-on size. My parents are letting us borrow one rolling bag that is bigger than carry-on but not huge. Our plan is to use that, one of the carry-on size bags and another bag we have to check, and then bring on our backpacks, so it would be a total of 5 bags between the two of us. We are both over 6 ft tall so our clothes and shoes take up a lot of space no matter how we fold them/roll them, etc. We are trying not to have to purchase another "mid size" bag.

Also any problems getting the checked bags to the cabin? Do they open all the bags and search them?

Thank you!

No problem at all with what you have planned. All bags will be xrayed, if there is something in your checked bag that they question, you will be called to the "naughty room" to show them what is in the bag.

We each had a large suitcase and a small rolling carry-on for our last 7-day cruise in the Med, but we had several days pre-cruise and post-cruise so we were really gone for over 2 weeks. There was no problem. Everything fit under the bed when we unpacked and we had plenty of room in the cabin without carrying all the extras like over-the-door organizers, collapsible laundry baskets, etc. We didn't miss the extra items for the cabins at all and will not be bothering with them on future cruises. We used zip-lock bags of all sizes to help with the packing and unpacking. We even used the 2-1/2 - 3 gallon ones for shoes and outfits that we could compress the air in and keep everything in the one bag without anything getting dirty. That enabled us to put our shoes in the bags with our clothes :D. Worked out great.

Last March we did a 54 day trip, 3 cruises + 11 days land from Sydney, Aust and I could have left 1 suitcase home, ended up with more slacks then I wore.I am cutting myself down to 4 evening slacks and 3 everyday pants for our Quebec cruise in Oct. #2 evening shoes, #1 pair tennies and walking shoes, blouses to match, so should end up with a 25 " & 1 carryon.

We each had a large suitcase and a small rolling carry-on for our last 7-day cruise in the Med, but we had several days pre-cruise and post-cruise so we were really gone for over 2 weeks. There was no problem. Everything fit under the bed when we unpacked and we had plenty of room in the cabin without carrying all the extras like over-the-door organizers, collapsible laundry baskets, etc. We didn't miss the extra items for the cabins at all and will not be bothering with them on future cruises. We used zip-lock bags of all sizes to help with the packing and unpacking. We even used the 2-1/2 - 3 gallon ones for shoes and outfits that we could compress the air in and keep everything in the one bag without anything getting dirty. That enabled us to put our shoes in the bags with our clothes :D. Worked out great.

GREAT idea with the zip loc bags, particularly for shoes. Thanks for the tip.

You can take it all, but you are going to have FAR more stuff than you need. A 24-27 inch suitcase plus a carry on is more than sufficient for a 7 day cruise for two. I can easily do a week in a carry on roller.

I was amazed at the people with multiple 30+ inch rollers. I have no idea what they pack to actually need that much stuff (and pay the airline overage fees on top of that).

Am I the only one curious why someone over 6' tall had additional footware requirements

I assume their feet are bigger (to go with their height) and the shoes then are bigger and take up more luggage space.

Edited by RobinAnn

I follow your bag count correctly.

You have

1 Large luggage

2 carry-on type luggage

These you are planning on checking it,curbside.

You are also planning on carrying on two backpacks.

This is not unreasonable.

What will happen, the 3 bags that you are checking in curbside,will be taken away from you. they will be scanned and loaded on the ship and ultimately delivered to your cabin. If they have any questions about an item in any of those bags, you will receive a call to your cabin, requesting you to go to what is colloquially called on this board the "naughty room". This all on-board the ship.

For the backpacks, that you are planning on actually carrying on. You will go through a security checkpoint during the actual check-in process. They will scan these bags much like when you through the security checkpoint at an airport.

As a point of reference.

On a cruise, we check two fairly large bags, two airline carry-on size bags. I also have a camera/laptop backpack bag that I personally carry on. I also have a small tagalong rollalong bag that I usually bring along.

So all-told, we have 4 checked bags. and two carry-on bags.

5 between you doesn't seem excessive. I've taken 3 just myself before. We usually end up with 2 bags per person.

The big bags and if you want carryon they take curbside and never had problems with getting them to the cabin.

It's typical airport like scanners. Never had an problems with security.

Shorter people don't have style. :what:

I'm just under 6-2, and my shoes are pretty much the same as someone 5-10

Our daughter once brought 14 pairs of shoes (this includes various sandals) on a 7 day cruise.

My DH is 6'4", size 13 shoe. Wears his sneakers, pack dress shoes, other shoes for casual night, water shoes and crocs....ya, they take up quite a bit of room.

I still don't get it, mine are size 11, 13's are only about an inch and a half longer. It's not the size, it's the choices. I took one pair on a 3 day. Ivory Top-Siders. Wore them with everything. YMMV

3 day is a lot different than 7 day with many ports. Especially when you have different activities. Siders wouldn't help any men in my family who like to hit the gym, the basketball court, beach excursions sometimes needed water shoes and flip flops. Comfy walking shoes for shopping/touring/walking around and then formal shoes.

It's understandable when more than one shoe at size 13 would take more space for a week long trip.

The amount of luggage you are taking seems very reasonable. Royal is very accommodating.

Traveling with two disabled people requires us to pack extra medical equipment, supplies such as disposable bed pads, bed rails, a full size oxygen concentrator, oxygen bottles, bi-pap machines, etc. One of our party is very heavy and larger clothing takes up more room when packing.

Since we live in Florida and don't have to deal with airlines, we even carry a suitcase with holiday and door decorations just for fun. We have never had any issues getting all of our luggage aboard and finding places to put everything in the cabins.

On our last Allure trip, after a stop at guest relations, they even let my hubby take the medical equipment and drop it off in the cabin when we first got onboard, so we didn't have to carry it with us for 4 hours.

Enjoy the cruise.

When we took our first cruise, we had five suitcases (three large checked and two carry-on). After the cruise DW made a list of what we used and what we didn't. The next cruise we only packed the amount we used on the previous cruise. After we got back, she did the same thing. Long story not so short, we're now down to one checked and two carry on and we still have stuff left over at the end.

Edited by orville99

3 day is a lot different than 7 day with many ports. Especially when you have different activities. Siders wouldn't help any men in my family who like to hit the gym, the basketball court, beach excursions sometimes needed water shoes and flip flops. Comfy walking shoes for shopping/touring/walking around and then formal shoes.

It's understandable when more than one shoe at size 13 would take more space for a week long trip.

I get the point about 3 day vs 7, but I still don't see why size 13 takes up substantially more than 11. As always YMMV

I get the point about 3 day vs 7, but I still don't see why size 13 takes up substantially more than 11. As always YMMV

?

My size 8 takes up more room than my son's shoes (though his are rapidly approaching my size). DH's 11s take up more room than my shoes.

And they said their clothes AND shoes. The combo. DH is a bigger guy, and his clothes take up quite a bit more room than mine. My OLD clothes took up quite a bit more room than my current clothes. DS's clothes take up way less room than DH's.

When someone is bigger, their clothes are bigger and take up more room. And shoes, if longer and especially if wider, can take up more room than smaller shoes.

AND they tend to be heavier. DH's shoes are MUCH heavier than mine!

My hubby is 6'6" & weighs 300. His shoe size is 16EEE. He wears one pair of shoes & packs 1. His clothes & shoes do take up twice as much room as mine. We usually take 1 large suitcase each (to be checked), 1 small roller carry-on, 2 CPAP's, 1 camera bag & a cane or walking stick. I try to pack a folding bag to be used for souvenirs on return. I use the roller carry-on so I can put my CPAP on top & not have to carry it. Those CPAP's can get pretty heavy.

Edited by PTAngel

Hello again!

Thank you!

The bigger question is: How much room do you have in your stateroom to store your bags?

That would probably be the only limitation. You'll probably be fine either way, but not sure what type of stateroom you have booked. Jr Suites and above have much more room than Balconies and lower.